Snitch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-03-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
More dialogue and drama heavy than I was expecting...the action is saved for the very end. The Rock is a little too wooden to play a romantic lead smile.gif. He's more suiting to busting heads.

There also seems to be some advocacy here...lighter sentencing for first time drug offenders. Now, Hollywood is known for the wild parties. Lookin' out for the suppliers biggrin.gif?!

Okay film, just don't go see it expecting bullets flying all over the place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Hmm was considering checking this out since I've enjoyed the other Dwayne Johnson films

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 8 Old 07-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Why make a Rock movie where the Rock kicks ZERO tail until the last 10 minutes? What a waste.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-13-2013, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Spoliers deleted. Please learn how to use spoiler tags.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 8 Old 07-13-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I enjoyed this movie, greatly!

The message I got is that the policy of mandatory minimums (ironically, intended to address/correct for another imperfection in the justice system) are not as great an idea as expected. It can ensnare people (young adults) into a system that they should never be put into, once you take the element of human common sense out of the process. In the movie it is suggested that because of the dynamics of mandatory minimums and the under table activity of "assisting" law enforcement to circumvent the consequences of mandatory minimums, the legal system pits ordinary citizens, their families, and associates to those families as "mules" to further agendas in just as sinister a manner as cartels and drug lords use individuals as mules. That is a particularly poignant message, asking what is the real goal of the war on drugs?...to protect America or to use its citizens as fodder to take down kingpins and drug lords as opportunities present?

The special features content also brings up a good point that no longer are we "battling" cartels in some other country. They are operating with great freedom right inside the USA at this point. Hence, there is no "war on drugs" so much as a lost war on drugs. The wake up call is that this phenomenon is coming to affect ordinary people in ordinary neighborhoods in ways they could not possibly imagine.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #6 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I learned what 'snitching' is as related to drug dealing so in that regard it was a educational watch. However when a movie starts out with 'based on a true story' I always research it afterward and usually find that the two are quite different. This is your usual Hollywood interpretation and largely unrelated to the true story and only serves as the catalyst for the screenwriters. Here is the real story.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/snitch/cases/joeydad.html

Dwayne Johnson was miscast and although I understand he wants to stretch as an actor - all of previous roles work against him here.

5/10.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I think he was quite fine in the role. Suggesting that he can only be useful in hard action movies would be suggesting that he should deliberately play into typecasting roles to build his career.

If anyone took the time to listen to some of the extras and director's commentary, this very detail is addressed, and it makes a lot of sense, imo.

His role in this movie *is* consistent with past movie projects from the standpoint that his character is a *doer* when something needs to be done. That's what I like about all of his movies. He's a strong character not just out of brute strength or physicality. He is a "doer" like John McClain is a "doer".

I enjoyed the link you provided. There is a particular point that is of great importance if not just to share with your kids if you are a parent:
Quote:
Is there a lesson in all this?

The lesson here is that if you are a low person on the pole, someone who really has not involved themselves with drugs and you're dealing in any type [of] quantity, you're going to do the time for the guy above you and you're going to stay in jail. The real drug dealers don't go to jail. What they do is they have enough money to hire good attorneys, to make deals and to go out and set up everyone below them. So they'll get their reductions because they can turn around and have the ability to put someone in that spot. Where someone at the bottom of that pole has no ability, he's going to rot in jail, he's going to do his time. The real drug dealers don't do time.

This point cannot be overemphasized enough, imo, especially if you are a kid or young adult and you are presented with an opportunity that is "too good to be true".

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-20-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

Okay film, just don't go see it expecting bullets flying all over the place.
Um, there are plenty of bullets flyin' "all over the place". What there is not is...a lot of typical hand-to-hand combat action. This not like the Rock in Walking Tall. I liked it.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page