Oz, the Great and Powerful - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 82 Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smudge981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 163
It finally dawned on me that the character pretty much mirrored Hal Jordan in "Green Lantern." They kept reminding you that the guy's a major league douche throughout the movie and then we have the character turnaround at the very end.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

smudge981 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 82 Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
I was underwhelmed by the previews for Oz, the Great and Powerful, mostly because of the horrible judgment the filmmakers used when they cast James Franco as the wizard. Say what?! The generally low opinion of the critics has reinforced my opinion not to see the film until it shows up on cable, if then.
gwsat is online now  
post #63 of 82 Old 03-19-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I was underwhelmed by the previews for Oz, the Great and Powerful, mostly because of the horrible judgment the filmmakers used when they cast James Franco as the wizard. Say what?! The generally low opinion of the critics has reinforced my opinion not to see the film until it shows up on cable, if then.


heck i'll rent the br. i'm willing to spend at least $1.60 on it.

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #64 of 82 Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

heck i'll rent the br. i'm willing to spend at least $1.60 on it.

Damn the expense! Right?smile.gif
gwsat is online now  
post #65 of 82 Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

heck i'll rent the br. i'm willing to spend at least $1.60 on it.

$1.50 for me on Tuesday smile.gif

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #66 of 82 Old 06-14-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonbud0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Posts: 1,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Got the regular DVD from the library for nothing.

It's a kiddie movie, nothing more. The color, like most JVC projectors, are over saturated; some like it while others find it overdone.

Did Mila gain a lot of weight? Normally I do not care for Michelle but she looks decent in this one while Rachel got tons of makeup. I actually like Franco's role.
dragonbud0 is online now  
post #67 of 82 Old 06-15-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoey67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: cloud9
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Uhhgg, did not enjoy this turkey at all in any way shape or from. I still can't stand J Franco, why do they continually put him in big movies?

It must be Mercury in retro this week or something. 1st I had see this garbage, then had to endure the biggest heartbreak letdown of the year from the MOS midnight premiere. I really hope something good will come along soon to wash away this nightmare...perhaps WW Z or Elysium.
zoey67 is offline  
post #68 of 82 Old 06-15-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonbud0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Posts: 1,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, video and audio quality can only do so much, maybe I'm asking too much as an adult. However, the trends these days are toward dumber and dumber scripts, including Prometheus (but I still like it due to my bias).

It's 5 or 6 out of 10. I would not re-watch it for sure.

Yes, WW Z looks good from the trailer.
dragonbud0 is online now  
post #69 of 82 Old 06-20-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
well surprising to say i liked this film

great production quality. nice br presentation

creative storytelling.

this one caught me by surprise.

kind of wish i had gone to see it in 3d

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #70 of 82 Old 07-04-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Wow, what a swing-and-a-miss this movie is.

What the hell was Disney thinking here?rolleyes.gif

Who was this film marketed to?

The silly little gimmick of starting the movie in B/W at 4:3 and suddenly everything bursting out into over-saturated color and 2:35 has been done before.
Sheesh.

Let's not mention the TERRIBLE casting of James Franco and Mila Kunis in parts neither is suited for in the slightest.

Maybe worst of all was the writing....not funny, not charming.

At a 1/2 hour in, the wife looks at me and asked "Do you care?"
Funny thing was....I didn't, and neither did she.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #71 of 82 Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I actually enjoyed this film. I thought it was quite good and Mila Kunis even as a witch looked ok biggrin.gif

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #72 of 82 Old 07-05-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I enjoyed it as well, but James Franco and green screens are not a good mix wink.gif ...it's difficult to care for characters in the middle of a fake CGI environment. Always the same problem with CGI, it's supposed to look real, and even if it's a visual treat, in the end we know it's fake, and more importantly, we know the actors know as well. Instead of creating an homogeneous world, it does the opposite. Practical sets are tangible, they do exist.
Morpheo is offline  
post #73 of 82 Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I enjoyed it as well, but James Franco and green screens are not a good mix wink.gif ...it's difficult to care for characters in the middle of a fake CGI environment. Always the same problem with CGI, it's supposed to look real, and even if it's a visual treat, in the end we know it's fake, and more importantly, we know the actors know as well. Instead of creating an homogeneous world, it does the opposite. Practical sets are tangible, they do exist.
I get your point, but I try to let my Suspension of Disbelief override the CGI.
Of course, it depends on if the characters and/or story interest me and the actors are skilled.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #74 of 82 Old 07-05-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I actually enjoyed this film. I thought it was quite good and Mila Kunis even as a witch looked ok biggrin.gif

I'm a Mila Kunis fan. She is a beauty as well as a fine young actress. I loved her in both Black Swan and Ted. Haven't seen Oz yet but will likely rent the BD from Redbox. Failing that, I will catch it when it shows up on one of the premium cable channels.
gwsat is online now  
post #75 of 82 Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smudge981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I'm a Mila Kunis fan. She is a beauty as well as a fine young actress. I loved her in both Black Swan and Ted. Haven't seen Oz yet but will likely rent the BD from Redbox. Failing that, I will catch it when it shows up on one of the premium cable channels.

Indeed, Mila is a fine actress but the script wasn't up to par.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Here she is, a witch, and a naive one at that, and after meeting James Franco for what...one afternoon...falls head-over-heels in love with him. When she finds out he's a bit of a cad, becomes an emotional wreck, makes a life-changing decision and becomes the Wicked Witch. Plus, L. Frank Baum clearly stated he wasn't into all that kissy kissy love relationship stuff. So what does Disney do? eek.gif

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

smudge981 is offline  
post #76 of 82 Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Indeed, Mila is a fine actress but the script wasn't up to par.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Here she is, a witch, and a naive one at that, and after meeting James Franco for what...one afternoon...falls head-over-heels in love with him. When she finds out he's a bit of a cad, becomes an emotional wreck, makes a life-changing decision and becomes the Wicked Witch. Plus, L. Frank Baum clearly stated he wasn't into all that kissy kissy love relationship stuff. So what does Disney do? eek.gif

I have factored in the underwhelming reaction to Oz from most of the critics. I plan to watch this $215 million film with an eye to enjoying how it looks and sounds while keeping my expectations on the bottom rung of the ladder.
gwsat is online now  
post #77 of 82 Old 07-05-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Terminus and the Lake of Light
Posts: 4,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
A friend suggested that Emma Stone would have been better suited for Mila's role. Mila was miscast, and she was not the only one.

CW Hinkle
Shaded Dogfood is online now  
post #78 of 82 Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Member
 
Kalovaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I finally got to see it and it wasn't bad at all. It sort of made me feel bad about the wicked witch rather than totally hate her. Dont get me wrong, I'm still pretty happy that a house was dropped on her sister. She totally had that coming.
Kalovaku is offline  
post #79 of 82 Old 07-05-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I have factored in the underwhelming reaction to Oz from most of the critics. I plan to watch this $215 million film with an eye to enjoying how it looks and sounds while keeping my expectations on the bottom rung of the ladder.

Its just a fun film to watch smile.gif

_________________________

Frank

Franin is online now  
post #80 of 82 Old 07-05-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

A friend suggested that Emma Stone would have been better suited for Mila's role. Mila was miscast, and she was not the only one.
I don't think Ms. Stone would have fared any better in the role.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #81 of 82 Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Terminus and the Lake of Light
Posts: 4,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I don't think Ms. Stone would have fared any better in the role.

Hey. Watch your mouth. You're talking about the future Mrs. Shaded Dogfood-Hinkle.tongue.gif

CW Hinkle
Shaded Dogfood is online now  
post #82 of 82 Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I don't think Ms. Stone would have fared any better in the role.

Hey. Watch your mouth. You're talking about the future Mrs. Shaded Dogfood-Hinkle.tongue.gif
Sorry CW....I lost my head for a moment.biggrin.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off