Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Sam Raimi - Directing.

Mila Kunis
Rachel Weisz
Michelle Williams
James Franco

Very funny interview with Mila Kunis promoting "OZ" from March 4, must see.
And the aftermath where the interviewer get grilled about his interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvrxdic8sUs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Mila's interview is great. She probably tells a little too much about her character, to the verge of the dreaded spoilerism. But most of the interview has nothing to do with Oz.

Sensible young woman with a good head on her shoulders and a pretty good body beneath her shoulders.

Sadly this has a rotten tomatometer rating of only in the sixties, but I intend to see it Friday anyhow. NPR reported this morning that there are 8 other Oz movies in development now.

CW Hinkle
post #3 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Heh, "let's rattle off all the pre-canned PR coached answers about the movie blahblahblah and get to the interesting conversation!"

Pretty entertaining moment when you get to peek behind the curtain there.

As for the movie, looks like a CGI borefest rental. I'm sure it entertaining, just not $50 outing at the cinema entertaining.
post #4 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 AM

Liked: 12
Preview looked a little too cornball. Something for the kids. I'm going with Dead Man Down this week.
post #5 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Mila's interview is great. She probably tells a little too much about her character, to the verge of the dreaded spoilerism.

It's really no secret anymore who her character is (or becomes). Some of the poster art pretty much gave it away months ago.

Trailers look like a boring CGI crapfest. Reviews so far have been middling at best. Sam Raimi is just not the right director for this material.

Also, as has been pointed out by others, how do you make a prequel to a story that was all a young girl's dream? The events of this movie are supposed to take place before Dorothy was even born. So, what, it's all Auntie M's dream in this one?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 266
[rant]

Just knowing James Franco was made the lead in this movie, let alone seeing the trailer, was knowledge enough to predict the word "miscast" (or something similar) would appear often in the reviews.

What IS it with this Franco business? He's this decade's Keanu Reeves, a guy who apparently keeps getting cast to reel in some demographic but who always seems some marble-mouthed, slightly stoned frat boy underneath whatever role he's supposed to be selling. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, for example, I had to try to enjoy despite the casting of Franco as a "scientist"...shades of Denise Richards's nuclear physicist in the Bond movie. I can't be the only one who thought after they announced Franco as a co-host of the Oscars: Dear God is there anyone behind the wheel there? No one who can see the looming failure?

At this point almost any movie is automatically ruined for me, or at least the decisions of it's team is cast in dire suspicion, if they've cast Franco.

[/end rant]
post #7 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Sadly this has a rotten tomatometer rating of only in the sixties, but I intend to see it Friday anyhow. NPR reported this morning that there are 8 other Oz movies in development now.
Here is why RT and other such sites are a joke:
http://www.cracked.com/article_20266_5-despicable-things-people-do-good-online-reviews.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The events of this movie are supposed to take place before Dorothy was even born. So, what, it's all Auntie M's dream in this one?
There YOU go again.....bringing logic into discussions.wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

[rant]

Just knowing James Franco was made the lead in this movie, let alone seeing the trailer, was knowledge enough to predict the word "miscast" (or something similar) would appear often in the reviews.

What IS it with this Franco business? He's this decade's Keanu Reeves, a guy who apparently keeps getting cast to reel in some demographic but who always seems some marble-mouthed, slightly stoned frat boy underneath whatever role he's supposed to be selling. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, for example, I had to try to enjoy despite the casting of Franco as a "scientist"...shades of Denise Richards's nuclear physicist in the Bond movie. I can't be the only one who thought after they announced Franco as a co-host of the Oscars: Dear God is there anyone behind the wheel there? No one who can see the looming failure?

At this point almost any movie is automatically ruined for me, or at least the decisions of it's team is cast in dire suspicion, if they've cast Franco.

[/end rant]
Franco is a fine actor, but you have a very valid point.
The guy doesn't know how to say no to a part, no matter how ill-suited he is for it.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #8 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
do i smell another john carter?

neflixis our nemesis
post #9 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

do i smell another john carter?

Hardly. OZ is about as branded as a movie can get. Nearly everyone knows it, unlike JOHN CARTER. Now, if the Carter flick had been advertised as "From the creator of TARZAN. Edgar Rice Burroughs' JOHN CARTER", it might have helped. OZ will open very big...whether it's sustained is another matter..

post #10 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Bluray.com gave this a pretty good review and they are usually pretty accurate. Doesn't mean the movie won't fail, just that it is not a bad watch.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #11 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, as has been pointed out by others, how do you make a prequel to a story that was all a young girl's dream? The events of this movie are supposed to take place before Dorothy was even born. So, what, it's all Auntie M's dream in this one?

Except that it WASN'T a dream in the books. It's an OZ prequel that probably uses elements similar to the 1939 film since that's what most remember (or at least as much as they can use without a lawsuit from Warners), but it's not 100% tied to that film. I mean...there were over a dozen OZ books published....that's a lot of "dreaming."

post #12 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hard to lament "this is something for the kids." It is an Oz story. It should be for kids as well as young-at-heart adults.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #13 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

It's really no secret anymore who her character is (or becomes). Some of the poster art pretty much gave it away months ago.

Trailers look like a boring CGI crapfest. Reviews so far have been middling at best. Sam Raimi is just not the right director for this material.

No an expert of Oz, but aren' t there several books? Some of which don't have Dorothy. Pretty sure a lot of the consternation of the general public about this story is lack of knowledge that the 1939 movie is not the Oz gospel.
post #14 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The new movie is (allegedly) specifically a prequel to the 1939 movie. Every review I've read has said that it makes numerous references to that film. None of the marketing has presented it as a "re-adaptation" or anything of the sort. Unless the movie explains it away somehow, this is a straight-up plot hole.

Josh Z

post #15 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Bluray.com gave this a pretty good review and they are usually pretty accurate. Doesn't mean the movie won't fail, just that it is not a bad watch.

Define "accurate." The last I checked, taste in movies was subjective. Personally, I do not share the same taste in movies as many of the reviewers on that site. YMMV.

Josh Z

post #16 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Hardly. OZ is about as branded as a movie can get. Nearly everyone knows it, unlike JOHN CARTER. Now, if the Carter flick had been advertised as "From the creator of TARZAN. Edgar Rice Burroughs' JOHN CARTER", it might have helped.
Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Hard to lament "this is something for the kids." It is an Oz story. It should be for kids as well as young-at-heart adults.
I ain't ashamed to admit I love Pixar, classic Disney (and WB) animation, rom-coms....wink.gif

Quote:

Define "accurate."
OK, accurate is the sentence below this one.....
Quote:
The last I checked, taste in movies was subjective.

wink.gifbiggrin.gif

post #17 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 285
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-oz-eying-426641

"Sam Raimi's tentpole could open anywhere between $80 million and $100 million in North America, where it begins rolling out in theaters at 9 p.m. Thursday; the fantasy-adventure also makes a major push overseas."

This will be nothing like John Carter (which was a good film by the way, making its failure even more bitter). Everyone knows about Oz, it has a sense of escapism that will resonate with audiences, it's still Disney (after John Carter came what? The Avengers...), it has the Sam Raimi name... So my prediction: it will be huge and one of the most successful movies of the year. If I'm wrong, I quit the internet biggrin.gifwink.gif
post #18 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

If I'm wrong, I quit the internet biggrin.gifwink.gif
Well, don't let your mouse bit ya on the a$$ on the way out....tongue.gif

post #19 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

Define "accurate." The last I checked, taste in movies was subjective. Personally, I do not share the same taste in movies as many of the reviewers on that site. YMMV.

Yes, accurate is always what agrees with my POV. smile.gif

JK.

Based on the new release movies I remember them doing, and then seeing for myself, I would say they are fair and balanced. They may like a movie more or less than I, but felt an axe wasn't grinding too much one way or the other. Makes it easier for me to use them as a resource. Bluray reviews seem to be given with a more rose colored glasses POV unless the movie is a complete waste.

As far as OZ is concerned, I would expect it to be a decent movie but will be a rental for my family as The Groods will be our spring break movie.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #20 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Quite frankly, I would love a remake of The Wizard of Oz if they included everything that happened in the book. There was quite a lot of action and characters that you don't see in the 1939 original.

Saturday is movie night with the girlfriend. She isn't a fan of the Wizard of Oz but I'll try to talk her into seeing this and take one for the team. wink.gif I find myself holding out hope for this one.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #21 of 82 Old 03-07-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Quite frankly, I would love a remake of The Wizard of Oz.
Good God Sir!
Have you lost your mind???????tongue.gif

post #22 of 82 Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I wouldn't mind watching this. Looks quite good.

Frank

post #23 of 82 Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Good God Sir!
Have you lost your mind???????tongue.gif

*hee hee* I say this because, again, the movie short-changed the book. There was a LOT that wasn't covered. Plus, I'd like to see it being more darker, bordering on an "R" rating. How's that for being a Philistine? biggrin.gif

post #24 of 82 Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

I'd like to see it being more darker, bordering on an "R" rating. How's that for being a Philistine? biggrin.gif

RETURN TO OZ might be right up your alley! Electro-shock therapy for Dorothy. replaceable-heads, the Emerald City in ruins. Dark enough?

post #25 of 82 Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I love Return to Oz. It's not without problems, but it's one of my top favorite fantasies of the eighties.

Was this shot in 3-D or was 3-D added in post? I looked over at the 3-D section and the listing for the film conspicuosly lacked any indication of how it was filmed. I remember the preview looking great.

I had intended to see it today but it it isn't native 3-D I'll see it in 2-D.

Well, a search to wiki reveals a good deal of interesting info, including a one-line indication it was shot with 3-D cameras:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz_the_Great_and_Powerful#Filming

CW Hinkle
post #26 of 82 Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

RETURN TO OZ might be right up your alley! Electro-shock therapy for Dorothy. replaceable-heads, the Emerald City in ruins. Dark enough?

Saw it. It had it's moments but turned into one of those movies that doesn't play well for me in 2013. YMMV. Anyhow, got the girlfriend talked into seeing it. Got my tickets ahead of time. Franco had better nail this one or I'll gut him like a fish (apologies to "The Grinch.)

post #27 of 82 Old 03-08-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Oz The Great And Powerful Cost Michigan Taxpayers Almost $9 Each

Quote:
Criticizing the state's government spending, writer Jarrett Skorup reports $39.7 million was awarded to the production of Walt Disney's Oz: The Great and Powerful to shoot within the state. He says this means every taxpayer in Michigan chipped in essentially $8.82 toward the film, more than the average ticket price to see a movie in this country. The problem is, Skorup is not presenting these as fun facts, but as evidence that the government is spending their tax money poorly.

Boycott this movie! If you don’t, then you are a Socialist, Nazi, Communist, Marxist, and every other bad thing I can say about you. And you hate America! Yes you do and you know it! Hollywood liberals are trying to take over America and run it as it sees fit! Tyranny! Tyranny!! Tyranny!!!

rolleyes.gif
post #28 of 82 Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Damn commie liberals. tongue.gif

I guess everyone in Michigan should get a free ticket to see the movie.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #29 of 82 Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

$8.82...isn't that the net worth of Detroit? tongue.gif

post #30 of 82 Old 03-08-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Oz The Great And Powerful Cost Michigan Taxpayers Almost $9 Each
Boycott this movie! If you don’t, then you are a Socialist, Nazi, Communist, Marxist, and every other bad thing I can say about you. And you hate America! Yes you do and you know it! Hollywood liberals are trying to take over America and run it as it sees fit! Tyranny! Tyranny!! Tyranny!!!

rolleyes.gif
If there is something horrible about our ubiquitous Internets, it is that ANYONE with a computer can you use it and post any crazy thing coming out of their backside and claim it is a cold hard fact.....

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page