Dead Man Down - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
"In New York City, a crime lord's right-hand man is seduced by one of his boss's victims, a woman seeking retribution."

Directed by Niels Arden Oplev ...with Colin Farrell and my beloved Noomi... wink.gif

I love the Shine On You Crazy Diamond cover by the way...

Now I don't care about RT, I haven't read any review, trailer is awesome and I'm seeing this film today smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I decided to check this one out also. Here's hoping for a decent experience.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Trailer makes it look sooo good! I'll be seeing this on Monday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #4 of 11 Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
So I saw it yesterday. Really loved it. Noomi Rapace has an intensity that never ceases to surprise me. It's a delight to watch her. Her character reminded me of a certain Lisbeth, someone deeply wounded who wants to find closure in revenge ; it's clearly stated in the trailer by the way so I'm not using spoiler tags. Colin Farrell was very good too. And speaking of trailers, for once that one doesn't give away the most important parts of the story. Interesting supporting cast as well, like F. Murray Abraham in a way too small role, and Isabelle Huppert, I was really surprised to see her actually! smile.gif I didn't know she was in the film before. I like how the story builds to the climax, some could say the somewhat "anti-climactic climax", but I didn't think so. Considering the characters' journey, I thought the ending was very fitting. I'll sure look forward to Niels Arden Oplev's upcoming projects... Dare I his film was very american in some ways, and very european in some others; in both cases I see this as a quality.

I wouldn't mind seeing it again in fact. A definite purchase on Blu-ray. smile.gif
post #5 of 11 Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

So I saw it yesterday. Really loved it. Noomi Rapace has an intensity that never ceases to surprise me. It's a delight to watch her. Her character reminded me of a certain Lisbeth, someone deeply wounded who wants to find closure in revenge ; it's clearly stated in the trailer by the way so I'm not using spoiler tags. Colin Farrell was very good too. And speaking of trailers, for once that one doesn't give away the most important parts of the story. Interesting supporting cast as well, like F. Murray Abraham in a way too small role, and Isabelle Huppert, I was really surprised to see her actually! smile.gif I didn't know she was in the film before. I like how the story builds to the climax, some could say the somewhat "anti-climactic climax", but I didn't think so. Considering the characters' journey, I thought the ending was very fitting. I'll sure look forward to Niels Arden Oplev's upcoming projects... Dare I his film was very american in some ways, and very european in some others; in both cases I see this as a quality.

I wouldn't mind seeing it again in fact. A definite purchase on Blu-ray. smile.gif
Thanks for the impressions! I'm really looking forward to this one, hoping to catch it this weekend if my wife and kid can kick this flu mad.gif

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #6 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I liked this, it's type of movie you normally find J Statham in so if you like his stuff you'll prob like this as well. A little revenge tale with mob crime tie ins detective solving the puzzle as who is the mole/rat. Keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering and thinking. Oh I nearly forgot a big infusion of Hitchcock's Rear Window flavor added in for extra suspense measure.

Colin Farrell proves again why he has a lot of game and depth to his characters..the man can act there's no doubt about it. It's just some of his projects he chooses tend to be a little too serious and poignant. Clearly to me he shines best in action and hero films simply because he's got the looks and brains and charms. My 2nd fav character was Noomi's mom Isabelle Hupert, she was very cute and sassy.

I WANT him doing more stuff like this and Channing Tatum movies because his sheer talent can help with much of the cheese associated with blockbuster/action movies.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Normally I do not care for Colin Farrel except for In Bruges but found this movie with Noomi very entertaining for a vengeance thriller. Also the language was quite sanitized with these kind of thugs.

After seeing Stoker, this is slightly inferior in terms of story and cinematography but still entertaining. Good for rental.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-19-2013, 01:20 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Didn't realise this was put on Blu ray. Will have to give it a viewing

Frank

post #9 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Watched this last night and really enjoyed the first half but felt it was a little flat as the rest played out. I would have liked some more twists or something to elevate the tension a bit more. Performances were good all the way around. Rapace was brilliant as always, CF too. Terrance Howard is starting to look like Lando in a suit with that hairdo but he was decent as well. Worth a watch but am glad I waited for rental.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10 of 11 Old 08-09-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
A terrific Thriller.cool.gif

Multi-layered, with several storylines happening around the protagonist (Colin Farrel).
Beautifully weaved together by the writer and director.
Kudos to them for making this work in such an engaging way.

CF is absolutely at the top of his game here...
His eyes reveal so much of what is going on his head....
Someone should keep his performance in mind for EOY awards.wink.gif

While watching him last night, and Mud (M.McC.) the other night, it occurred to me how many excellent actors of their generation are working today...smile.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #11 of 11 Old 08-10-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I commented on this in the BD forum a week ago. Good film. I enjoyed it.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page