post #91 of 182 Old 11-06-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

from that link it mentions he did weight training 5 hours a week. Really? Five hours a week! Most semi-serious athletes and weekend warriors weight train about that much and .00001% of them look like HJ.

The link also mentions he gained 44 lbs of muscle in a matter of weeks? Really? At age 40+ you really think that's possible without drugs?
Quote:

44 lbs in 6 months does not compute.
Add to the fact he probably lost another 10-15 lbs of fat to be ripped.
So he basically put on 60 lbs in 6 months. Really?

He basically put on 1/2 of a person to his frame in 6 months. When kids are in puberty they don't grow THAT FAST even though they have tons of growth hormones following in their veins. I'm sorry there is a difference between giving someone the benefit of the doubt and being naive.
Quote:

but we are talking 44 lbs of pure muscle.
44 lbs of fat is easy.
44 lbs of muscle in 6 months is impossible by natural means.
I have never read of a single scientific study that has proven that 44 lbs of muscle can be added to a 40 year old man in 6 months without drugs.
Quote:

I know natural body builders who have been training for decades who don't have the size/defintion of what this man did in 6 months at 44 years old.
These natural body builders are tested every month, plus random tests. They said there is no way on earth that those results are natural. He said it literally took him a decade to put on 44 lbs of quality mass. We are talking about a guy who is in the gym at least 5 times a week and has been on a strict diet for over 20 years.

Unless HJ has one in a billion genetics no way this is without drugs.

So what is more likely? That HJ has a one in a billion genetics like Hershel Walker/ Arnold or that he takes an HGH/Steroid cocktail for a few months before a movie?
Sog, you are absolutely right. about what is possible naturally and it sure the he!! wouldn't happen with 5 hours a week weight training at 44 years of age.rolleyes.gif
That, gentlemen, is an impossibility.

He used some kind of drug(s).
Be it HGH or 'roids or whatever....and no can convince me otherwise.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 182 Old 11-06-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 886
HGH is natural.
post #93 of 182 Old 11-06-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Ok, so by an odd series of events I came across the below link that discusses Chris Hemsworth's workout routine to prepare him for Thor. This says that he put on 20lbs of lean muscle on his 6' 3" frame in three months. If you take this as truth, the timeline of this shows that Jackman putting on 40lbs in six months is possible. However, Hemsworth was already 200lbs at the time with a large frame and not even 30 years old yet when he got started. Jackman as I understand it is now around 210lbs after adding 40+ lbs on a medium frame for Wolverine at 44 years old. That's a HUGE disparity given how much weight they put on relative to their individual frame sizes. They are similar in height too. I'd say that Jackman is a freak of nature both in terms of ability, endurance and durability or again....assisted. Hemsworth for the record, may be natural just based on the look of his physique but I could be wrong abou that.

http://munfitnessblog.com/how-to-build-body-like-thor-chris-hemsworth/
post #94 of 182 Old 11-06-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Like I said above, I don't think HJ is on 'roids, but somebody suggested HGH. That's something I could buy him doing. It's becoming quite popular as a youth-restoring, rejuvenating treatment by all sorts of men of all ages who 1) can afford it, and 2) have a doctor willing to prescribe it. Won't really pack on the muscle like Dianabol and the like, but it would help him recover from his workouts faster, which would enable him to work out more frequently and intensely. After following Jackman's career for years, I have no doubts about his work ethic. He could do it.

Yep, just Google HGH and hollywood.

I would say a fair amount of stars do it on a short term basis to "prepare for a role". Ever see Gerard Butler look like he did in 300 again?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #95 of 182 Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Ok, so by an odd series of events I came across the below link that discusses Chris Hemsworth's workout routine to prepare him for Thor. This says that he put on 20lbs of lean muscle on his 6' 3" frame in three months. If you take this as truth, the timeline of this shows that Jackman putting on 40lbs in six months is possible. However, Hemsworth was already 200lbs at the time with a large frame and not even 30 years old yet when he got started. Jackman as I understand it is now around 210lbs after adding 40+ lbs on a medium frame for Wolverine at 44 years old. That's a HUGE disparity given how much weight they put on relative to their individual frame sizes. They are similar in height too. I'd say that Jackman is a freak of nature both in terms of ability, endurance and durability or again....assisted. Hemsworth for the record, may be natural just based on the look of his physique but I could be wrong abou that.

http://munfitnessblog.com/how-to-build-body-like-thor-chris-hemsworth/
CH is a naturally big guy, no question.
However, see below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I would say a fair amount of stars do it on a short term basis to "prepare for a role". Ever see Gerard Butler look like he did in 300 again?
I think that is exactly the case.
I have no doubt chemical assistance is used "on a short term basis to prepare for a role".
Anyway, I think using such stuff "on a short term basis" probably has a negligible affect on long term health.

post #96 of 182 Old 11-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Anyway, I think using such stuff "on a short term basis" probably has a negligible affect on long term health.

100% on the money here oink. Comparative to all the other toxins, pollutants, and deleterious substances in our environment, a physician-managed cycle is going to be negligibly harmful. If anything, if it is HGH for example, it might regenerate previous damage.

No matter what the growth agent is, what everyone needs to remember and appreciate is the substances are amplifiers. Nothing more. The caloric intake and burn has to be achieved through work. Eating is work. Training is work. Hugh, Dwayne, etc. are all putting in the work necessary work to achieve this look. Add the amplifiers and your results are what you see on screen.

All that being said...I think the numbers being published by the various outlets are completely garbage. They remind me of high school and college athletic programs where everyone on the football or basketball field suddenly grows an inch or two and gains 10-20 pounds in the fan program depending on position. For whatever reason they thought it psychologically messed with the opponents...even though the opponents all do the same thing and know the game:)

Physically looking at Hugh, based on his frame, I think the media outlets who quote those numbers are totally full of it. They might not even know they are full of it since they are likely NOT gym rats, athletes, etc. Having played football from the youth level to getting paid for it, my standard deduction for all written height/weight measures has been refined to somewhere between 20-35% based on position (i.e. body type). For Hugh, on his frame height and observing his build knowing and training with comparably sized individuals, I would absolutely bet money he gained somewhere in the neighborhood of 24-28lbs. Add in the standard media/program enhancement, and you are looking at the "reported" 44lbs.

So don't get too hung up on the numbers they list for weight gained. Considering the more likely 24-28lbs, and this number is WAY more reasonable in a real-world setting of eating, training, and "supplementing" without killing the person. 10lbs of lean muscle, however you acquire it on his frame, is going to make a huge visual impact (i.e. he is going to look much bigger). That is why it is so hard for guys well over 6' tall to "look" bigger. Their musculature is so dispersed over the frame, their 10lb gain won't hardly make a visual dent. This is also why Dwayne Johnson is such a specimen. He is tall and absolutely JACKED! But he is north of 250lbs. Stallone had very similar cut and definition back in the Rambo II/III and Rocky III/IV days...but was closer to 180lbs.

My final thought...what is more dangerous to the kids watching the movies and creating heroes...our current gen of physically enhanced actors (some of which comes form makeup and cgi which we haven't even touched on)...or previous generations of heroes who were smoking pack after pack, drinking and driving, slapping women, kicking puppies, etc.? If it's my choice...I'd rather my kids watch the juiced up heroes fighting for what's right versus the destructive anti-heroes. Then when they are older they can get cranky and sarcastic like me and learn to LOVE the old guard heroes:)
Morpheo likes this.

Big Dumb Mammal
post #97 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 12:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

My only complaint, really, is this B.S. put out by actors, agents, and studios about how Actor X looks like Mr. Olympia because he simply worked out 25 hours a day for 3 months.
Anyone who has experience with body-building knows this is complete nonsense.wink.gif

post #98 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post

My final thought...what is more dangerous to the kids watching the movies and creating heroes...our current gen of physically enhanced actors (some of which comes form makeup and cgi which we haven't even touched on)...or previous generations of heroes who were smoking pack after pack, drinking and driving, slapping women, kicking puppies, etc.? If it's my choice...I'd rather my kids watch the juiced up heroes fighting for what's right versus the destructive anti-heroes. Then when they are older they can get cranky and sarcastic like me and learn to LOVE the old guard heroes:)

Which brings us back to Wolverine (except for the women and puppies part of course!), kind of both the hero and the anti-hero himself.

(just making sure we're still on topic wink.gif)
post #99 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

So where did we end up anyway? For a Wolverine sequel, should we ask Jackman to hit the gym 10 hrs a day again to reprise the role? Or cast Oink instead? Personally, I'm on the fence. biggrin.gif
post #100 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:

So where did we end up anyway? For a Wolverine sequel, should we ask Jackman to hit the gym 10 hrs a day again to reprise the role? Or cast Oink instead? Personally, I'm on the fence. biggrin.gif

I say give HJ all the drugs he can stand let Wolverine go Bane, break the Batman, do a musical as Bane-verine, get Oscar, then retire.
post #101 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I say give HJ all the drugs he can stand let Wolverine go Bane, break the Batman, do a musical as Bane-verine, get Oscar, then retire.

*cue the Oscar theme music*
post #102 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, after all these years, the wife STILL calls me her "arm candy."
Of course, each time she says it costs me a 50 dollar bill.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Hugh whips up on Ben?
For some reason, I think you aren't the only one in this world with this fantasy.tongue.gif

post #103 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:

I repeat: I FIND NOTHING WRONG WITH HIM TAKING DRUGS. NOTHING. I'm just saying its dangerous for him to be on these cycles for over a decade.

If you knew anything about "cycles" you would know it isn't dangerous, if done in moderation. It's the same scare tactics that are used regarding other recreational drugs.

Btw, I lift but don't use. My testosterone levels are still good at 54, but i would have no problem "supplementing" if that was not the case.

On topic, I am looking forward the BD of this release. I'm a huge fanboy of Japanese culture, and tattoos (I'm covered in them).

And I pre-odered the 3D BD, as I also love 3D. It helps to have black-pit dedicated room with an 8 foot high gain screen! wink.gif
post #104 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but we are talking 44 lbs of pure muscle.
44 lbs of fat is easy.
44 lbs of muscle in 6 months is impossible by natural means.
I have never read of a single scientific study that has proven that 44 lbs of muscle can be added to a 40 year old man in 6 months without drugs.

Excuse me, but we all know he has been this size before. It is called "muscle memory". I've personally gained back all the muscle I've lost quickly if I've ever had to take a long layoff.

When I was in my mid twenties I went from 145 lbs at the end of Army basic training to 190 lbs. in less than 1 month. All I did between classes is train and eat. This knd of stuff is not as impossible as you believe.

Art
post #105 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Excuse me, but we all know he has been this size before. It is called "muscle memory". I've personally gained back all the muscle I've lost quickly if I've ever had to take a long layoff.

When I was in my mid twenties I went from 145 lbs at the end of Army basic training to 190 lbs. in less than 1 month. All I did between classes is train and eat. This knd of stuff is not as impossible as you believe.

Art

age makes a HUGE difference. You could have been in a natural growth spurt.
This stuff does not happen when you are 44
post #106 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, after all these years, the wife STILL calls me her "arm candy."
Of course, each time she says it costs me a 50 dollar bill.....

Uh...Oink? Perhaps you've been hitting the malt lately but....no matter what the...quality.....I don't think that's your wife. biggrin.gif
post #107 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

age makes a HUGE difference. You could have been in a natural growth spurt.
This stuff does not happen when you are 44

A natural growth spurt at 26?

I do agree it is harder to put on muscle the older you get, but it is still relatively easy to "re-gain" what you've already had. That is what Jackman did. Many people put artificial limits on what they can do. In doing so, you're already set up to fail.

Obviously, not everyone has the genetics of "Arnold" and other world class bodybuilders. But everyone can put on muscle if they work hard/smart enough. It is all about priorities.

I personally like having 20 year olds ask me for advice at the gym, or having to show my ID to prove how old I really am. But I am a vain extrovert who gladly took off my shirt off in a bar last week when a lady ask ed to see all my tattoos. smile.gif

YMMV
post #108 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Uh...Oink? Perhaps you've been hitting the malt lately but....no matter what the...quality.....I don't think that's your wife. biggrin.gif
As long as it's a REAL female, that's all that matters.tongue.gif

post #109 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

Many people put artificial limits on what they can do. In doing so, you're already set up to fail.

Wusses.

I lift, run, bike, and walk. I devote 30 hours a day, 9 days a week to my routine. I give 379.2635%. I don’t use drugs. Say no to drugs. I’m in training in an attempt to pole-vault to the Moon in 2018. The lack of gravity on the Moon will allow me to triple jump to Mars. I’m not sure what I'ill do once I arrive on Mars. Hmm, maybe I’ll open the first Mars candy store. Should be a big hit.

tongue.gifsmile.gif
post #110 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I once killed a grizzly bear with a loose leaf notebook. biggrin.gif
post #111 of 182 Old 11-07-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Wusses.

I lift, run, bike, and walk. I devote 30 hours a day, 9 days a week to my routine. I give 379.2635%. I don’t use drugs. Say no to drugs. I’m in training in an attempt to pole-vault to the Moon in 2018. The lack of gravity on the Moon will allow me to triple jump to Mars. I’m not sure what I'ill do once I arrive on Mars. Hmm, maybe I’ll open the first Mars candy store. Should be a big hit.

tongue.gifsmile.gif

Good one!

But you are an "Alien". smile.gif
post #112 of 182 Old 11-08-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 674
On the subject of actors beefing up for their superhero roles, with or without chemical assistance, check out what Ben has done to his body for Batman - clearly a step further than his Daredevil physique. eek.gif

post #113 of 182 Old 11-08-2013, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Hardy before and after Bain.
Added 30+ lbs in 4 months. So guess he was natural too? Funny how all hollywood actors can pack on 30-40 pounds in a matter of months while the rest of the world takes a decade?

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Victor Conte who knows more about steroids/HGH than almost anyone (supplied baseball stars like Barry Bonds) knows first hand the HGH use of hollywood.

“It’s more than just sports,” said Victor Conte, former head of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO), who supplied Jones and other athletes with steroids. “Rappers are doing this. They’re all ripping their shirts off with six-pack [abdominal muscles]. In mainstream movies and action hero type stuff, it’s rampant.

“I’ll see photos of these guys. You can tell in a heartbeat if they’re using. Guys just don’t all of a sudden put on 25 pounds of muscle in two months for a movie role. And it’s not going to happen just from growth hormone. You’re using testosterone or some derivative of an anabolic steroid.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/aug/24/peds-find-their-role-in-hollywood/#ixzz2k3ySOLg8
post #114 of 182 Old 11-08-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hardy before and after Bain.
Added 30+ lbs in 4 months. So guess he was natural too? Funny how all hollywood actors can pack on 30-40 pounds in a matter of months while the rest of the world takes a decade?

You seem to have missed the point I was trying to make about Jackman. He didn't just gain all that muscle for the first time at age 44. He had been that size before for previous roles. If you have experience with training, you know that is a much easier feat, and is referred to as "muscle memory". I have no idea if he, or other actors, are supplementing with exogenous hormones to gain, or regain their size. Just that it is not "impossible" to gain back muscle at very fast rate - without external means.

One more point: most of these guys also "pump up" before being filmed shirtless. That makes a huge difference from what they would look like otherwise. It's partly an illusion.

But I've only been lifting weights for 40 years, what do I know. wink.gif
post #115 of 182 Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You seem to have missed the point I was trying to make about Jackman. He didn't just gain all that muscle for the first time at age 44. He had been that size before for previous roles. If you have experience with training, you know that is a much easier feat, and is referred to as "muscle memory". I have no idea if he, or other actors, are supplementing with exogenous hormones to gain, or regain their size. Just that it is not "impossible" to gain back muscle at very fast rate - without external means.

But I've only been lifting weights for 40 years, what do I know. wink.gif

I don't remember Jackman being Jacked until X-men #1. I seem to remember he got huge in that role also.

I understand muscle memory but why would he drop 40 lbs right after filming Woverine? If it was natural gains it would be alot easier to maintain the level of mass without going bezerk training.
post #116 of 182 Old 11-08-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't remember Jackman being Jacked until X-men #1. I seem to remember he got huge in that role also.

I understand muscle memory but why would he drop 40 lbs right after filming Woverine? If it was natural gains it would be alot easier to maintain the level of mass without going bezerk training.

Not every role calls for being "jacked". He does a lot of musical theatre stuff too which requires a different look. One of the few guys who decided to stay big after he gained muscle was Will Smith. He liked how he looked after doing Ali, and maintained his workouts. Mark Wallberg was also much bigger/ripped in his Marky Mark days. He got big, but soft, for his Pain and Gain role.

I also don't believe the weight numbers they promote for these guys. There is a lot of exaggeration going on. So they aren't really gaining as much as you think. Once again, a pump will make you look a lot bigger for a short amount of time, plus lighting, etc.

All these guys may use, but none of their physiques are out of reach for natural lifters. None are close to bodybuilder size. (Except the "Rock", and yes he uses.)
darthrsg likes this.
post #117 of 182 Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

One of most suspicious things I see is the rapid LOSS of a muscular physique some of these guys exhibit.
Stopping weight training does NOT lead to a loss of muscle mass that quickly and I speak from personal experience.

post #118 of 182 Old 11-08-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All these guys may use, but none of their physiques are out of reach for natural lifters. None are close to bodybuilder size. (Except the "Rock", and yes he uses.)

I don't think the question is whether or not the physique can be obtained naturally. It's more can it be obtained in a matter of months? And beyond that, can it be obtained in a matter of months without injury?
post #119 of 182 Old 11-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One of most suspicious things I see is the rapid LOSS of a muscular physique some of these guys exhibit.
Stopping weight training does NOT lead to a loss of muscle mass that quickly and I speak from personal experience.

I agree. Guys like Jackman cycle from huge to thin and back. If his gains were done naturally I don't think he would lose all that muscle mass so quickly. If you are juicing you will retain way more water in your muscles. But once you stop you lose that really quick.
post #120 of 182 Old 11-08-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't think the question is whether or not the physique can be obtained naturally. It's more can it be obtained in a matter of months? And beyond that, can it be obtained in a matter of months without injury?
+1

Quote:

I agree. Guys like Jackman cycle from huge to thin and back. If his gains were done naturally I don't think he would lose all that muscle mass so quickly. If you are juicing you will retain way more water in your muscles. But once you stop you lose that really quick.
+2

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page