AVS Forum banner

The WOLVERINE

7K views 181 replies 37 participants last post by  darthrsg 
#1 ·
Let's face it. Wolverine origins was an abomination of a movie.

FOX now tries to make up for it with THE WOLVERINE...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/thewolverine/

The trailer is compelling. I like it. But I wonder how often the film will pull it's punches (or more accurately, blade-strikes) to keep the action PG-13. The script will need to be outstanding for this to work.

By the way, I wondering where the trailer's music comes from...???

#152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/150#post_24050276

Watching this now and it feels like a job. Pretty slow but it's still pretty original for a comic movie. It's nice not seeing a CGI blur and all the splosions.

All finished now. Second half really picks up and by the end it's a really good character study and kind of refreshing. You couldn't do a movie like this for Iron Man but it would work for Hulk. HJ owns this role and I didn't hate this movie.
It was ok, not worth a buy and not worth ejecting. I was mostly entertained and enjoyed the post credit lead in. That said I'm really ready for another character to have a solo spin-off. As original as this was it's hard to forget Wolverine has been done to death and the last film was gawdawful.

#153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/150#post_24054963

It was ok, not worth a buy and not worth ejecting. I was mostly entertained and enjoyed the post credit lead in. That said I'm really ready for another character to have a solo spin-off. As original as this was it's hard to forget Wolverine has been done to death and the last film was gawdawful.

Agree.

#154 ·
NF sent my a copy.

THE GOOD:

This movie is WAAY better than the first movie (by Gavin Hood).

THE BAD:

This is the 2nd worst Marvel movie ever.

There were so many "WTF Moments" here, as well as ridiculous amounts of eye-rolling and talking back at the screen in my HT tonite.....

It's really that bad.

I don't know what it is with this character....

These 2 Wolverine movies are simply laughable (to put it kindly).

I am mystified why Marvel thinks good writing is NOT important in a Wolverine film.

The wife said afterward (and I didn't argue) "I am so glad you didn't actually BUY the BD."

#156 ·
The unrated version is far superior to the theatrical - better (and, in at least one case, significantly longer) fight sequences, Logan drops multiple F-bombs, and blood actually comes out of wounds. Of course, the only way to see this version is to buy the 3D Blu-ray release, so renters are SOL.

Overall, night-and-day difference from the terrible X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Glad I waited for the unrated BD, though.

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/150#post_24153453

The unrated version is far superior to the theatrical - better (and, in at least one case, significantly longer) fight sequences, Logan drops multiple F-bombs, and blood actually comes out of wounds. Of course, the only way to see this version is to buy the 3D Blu-ray release, so renters are SOL.

Overall, night-and-day difference from the terrible X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Glad I waited for the unrated BD, though.

This should make someone's "worst trend" list. The very idea of a limited "renter's version" absolutely stinks. If they want to leave all the commentary tracks, special features, deleted scenes, etc., off - fine - but any additional cuts of the movie should be there.

#158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/150#post_24153582

This should make someone's "worst trend" list. The very idea of a limited "renter's version" absolutely stinks. If they want to leave all the commentary tracks, special features, deleted scenes, etc., off - fine - but any additional cuts of the movie should be there.

It's not just renters in that case, if you buy the 2D blu-ray you get the theatrical cut only as well. I bought the 3D version specifically because I wanted the extented cut - that just sucks.

As for the film itself, after seeing both versions (I saw it in theaters), I have to admit that the film is indeed superior to the first one (by far) and also that the extended cut is superior to the theatrical cut.

#159 ·
Watched this last night and enjoyed it enough, but not enough to buy it. This film started to feel like an excuse for Jackman to show off his buff and ripped bod after a while. It started to become comical how they took EVERY advantage and then some to show him off.

Strong audio track and excellent video quality.

Great rental.

#161 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/120_60#post_24160296

Watched this last night and enjoyed it enough, but not enough to buy it. This film started to feel like an excuse for Jackman to show off his buff and ripped bod after a while. It started to become comical how they took EVERY advantage and then some to show him off.
I noticed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/120_60#post_24160500

^Good to hear. I should have one from NF sometime soon. Anything special that stands out about the strong audio?
Plenty of LFE.

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/150#post_24160500

^Good to hear. I should have one from NF sometime soon. Anything special that stands out about the strong audio?

Agree with Oink on the LFE. Also, good surround, dynamics, etc...nothing mind blowing, but solid all around. There is one LFE moment early on that will make you go
and you will know it when it happens.

#165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/150#post_24160296

That's enough to kill the desire to rent. $6 isn't too far away from a bottle of good cheap cabernet sauvignon around here....or a Wolverine movie rental. Not really a tough call.

#167 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/150#post_24161617

That's enough to kill the desire to rent. $6 isn't too far away from a bottle of good cheap cabernet sauvignon around here....or a Wolverine movie rental. Not really a tough call.

Make sure you see the extended edition. The theatrical cut isn't a film I would recommend, the extended cut improves the film notably and is a film I would recommend.

#168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/150#post_24161640

Make sure you see the extended edition. The theatrical cut isn't a film I would recommend, the extended cut improves the film notably and is a film I would recommend.

Isn't the only way to see the extended edition through the 3d set which means buying it? If he is not wanting to spend the money on a rental, he sure as hell is not going to buy the 3d set!

#170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/150#post_24161652

Isn't the only way to see the extended edition through the 3d set which means buying it? If he is not wanting to spend the money on a rental, he sure as hell is not going to buy the 3d set!

I never checked (I know the 3d blu-ray can be so I assumed the extended would also be available). It is really sucky though if it cannot be rented.

#172 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/120_60#post_24161617

Amen to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/120_60#post_24161652

Catch 22?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/120_60#post_24161779

I never checked (I know the 3d blu-ray can be so I assumed the extended would also be available). It is really sucky though if it cannot be rented.
This is why studios are dumb when it comes to the rental market.

IF they took the time to understand their audience/customers, they would realize the benefit of using BD's seamless branching feature for putting different versions of movies on their rental disks.

This would actually help them SELL their BD retail releases.

Oh well, like they say....you can lead a horse to water but you can't....

#173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/150#post_24162552

Amen to that.

Catch 22?

This is why studios are dumb when it comes to the rental market.

IF they took the time to understand their audience/customers, they would realize the benefit of using BD's seamless branching feature for putting different versions of movies on their rental disks.

This would actually help them SELL their BD retail releases.

Oh well, like they say....you can lead a horse to water but you can't....

I'm not sure how well seamless branching would have worked in this case, a lot of footage is changed. Still it should have been available as a rental etc.

#174 ·
NF delivered this and got to it this weekend. It had a kind of deja vu feel for me with the thing with his powers, and having a checked out superhero vibe in the first part of the movie.

With his beard and face displayed on 133" of HD detail, HJ looks a little old. Not bad old, but old as in a grizzled dude you may not want to mess with.

Kind of reminds me of the Conan books I read as a kid and Conan got to be old and would wander around and no one really knew who he was. Just some old guy, but then the robes come off and he is 45 year old Hugh Jackman to kick butt and sleep with your women. Speaking of which, I kind of wondered if they would go there, and then it seemed kind of icky. And then it seemed kind of cool, like out of the 70's cool, that it was ok to just move on and probably initiate the sister on the plane. Which should have been the third post credit scene...

All in all, a good rental.

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/120_60#post_24205860

he is 45 year old Hugh Jackman to kick butt and sleep with your women. Speaking of which, I kind of wondered if they would go there, and then it seemed kind of icky. And then it seemed kind of cool, like out of the 70's cool, that it was ok to just move on and probably initiate the sister on the plane.
I hope to God your wife never reads this post....

#177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1465437/the-wolverine/100_100#post_24205952

I hope to God your wife never reads this post....

Oh she knows.

This also reminded me, for some reason, of a Bond movie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.