AVS Forum banner

The WOLVERINE

7K views 181 replies 37 participants last post by  darthrsg 
#1 ·
Let's face it. Wolverine origins was an abomination of a movie.

FOX now tries to make up for it with THE WOLVERINE...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/thewolverine/

The trailer is compelling. I like it. But I wonder how often the film will pull it's punches (or more accurately, blade-strikes) to keep the action PG-13. The script will need to be outstanding for this to work.

By the way, I wondering where the trailer's music comes from...???

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens  /t/1465437/the-wolverine-july-26#post_23131638

Let's face it. Wolverine origins was an abomination of a movie.

FOX no tries to make up for it with THE WOLVERINE...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/thewolverine/

The trailer is compelling. I like it. But I wonder how often the film pull it's punches (or more accurately, blade-strikes) to keep the action PG-13. The script will need to be outstanding for this to work.

By the way, I wonder where the trailer's music comes from...???
Rental. The last one was so bad I just can't see rolling the dice on a theatrical viewing. I'm ready for a solo spinoff with one of the other characters.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi  /t/1465437/the-wolverine-july-26/0_60#post_23131725

Rental. The last one was so bad I just can't see rolling the dice on a theatrical viewing.
Agreed, the first film is a horrible, terrible movie....

Probably the only Marvel-based movie I don't have in my collection.

#4 ·
And FOX knows this. Which is why they are just ignoring it. Now director James Mangold is certainly uneven, but he has shown the chops needed to pull this off. IF the script is good.

I read the first film's poor excuse for a screenplay over a year before it was released so I knew it was a turd and avoided it.

This time I have avoided reading the screenplay, hoping that it's going to be a good film.

Certainly seems like they ripped off the bullet train sequence from my own WOLVERINE spec script, which FOX has had in their possession for nearly a decade, but oh well.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens  /t/1465437/the-wolverine-july-26/0_60#post_23131920

he has shown the chops needed to pull this off. IF the script is good.
Agreed.

Quote:
Certainly seems like they ripped off the bullet train sequence from my own WOLVERINE spec script, which FOX has had in their possession for nearly a decade, but oh well.
The pitfalls of being a writer....

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1465437/the-wolverine-july-26#post_23132351

The pitfalls of being a writer....
My agent at the time told me, "Don't expect them to buy. Expect them to be nice, compliment you, then use some of it about ten years from now." And it's now ten years later!

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens  /t/1465437/the-wolverine-july-26/0_60#post_23132644

My agent at the time told me, "Don't expect them to buy. Expect them to be nice, compliment you, then use some of it about ten years from now." And it's now ten years later!
Here's what you need to do....

Get a screenshot of a frame in the scene, transfer it to a t-shirt with the accompanying line: Yeah, I wrote that.

#9 ·
The problem with a character like Wolverine is that he has claws for weapons. To get the full effect of this the movie would need to be Rated R and not pg or whatever. Wolverine is an R rated character but they dumb him down to a pg character in these movies.

#12 ·
LOL my wrist is wider then his legs, he looks pathetic there. Is this some kind of new "popeye" look? Wolverine took center at most of the previous X Men movies, and then he's own 'origin" spin off, how many more we really need?

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun  /t/1465437/the-wolverine-july-26#post_23162441

Wolverine took center at most of the previous X Men movies, and then he's own 'origin" spin off, how many more we really need?
Considering how bad X-men 3 and X-men Origins were, we deserve a good film. I am cautiously optimistic.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens  /t/1465437/the-wolverine-july-26#post_23165472

Considering how bad X-men 3 and X-men Origins were, we deserve a good film. I am cautiously optimistic.

We the public deserve good films period, but after all the misfires in this franchise, I won't hold my breath. But even if the film is good I wonder if it's a little too late, and people will just stay away. we shall see.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes  /t/1465437/the-wolverine-july-26#post_23565185

Nothing about it blew me away. It wasn't terrible either. I guess it was decent. It doesn't stay very close to the original mini series but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The opening scene was pretty gnarly and drew some gasps. There are a lot of introspective scenes and I like that it doesn't spoonfeed info to the audience. It definitely helps to be familiar with the previous films to know where his character is at here.

This is not a spoiler but just in case:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) It felt a little weird for Wolverine to not be familiar with Japan as that's always been a major part of his character in the comics. But this film sticks pretty close to the movie series continuity.

Stick around for a mid credits scene.
Are you saying this is a true sequel?

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes  /t/1465437/the-wolverine-july-26#post_23565211

I don't remember any specific references to it. But of course it did give you his origin.
I ask because the previous movie was pretty bad IMO.

In fact, I would place it at the bottom of all of the Marvel live-actions.

Wolverine was always one of my favs, but he hasn't been well-served onscreen.

#24 ·
Wolverine's berzerker rage has never been featured. In the film's they just give him a snarky attitude. That's not who he is. Were it not for Jackman being a damn fine actor the character would be a total loss.

I did enjoy X2 a lot. Great film and Wolverine as a character was OK in it. But he crying in X3 was just lame.

The cameo in First Class was priceless.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes  /t/1465437/the-wolverine-july-26#post_23566695

The film at least assumes you've seen the last one because it doesn't explain anything about his origin or history or powers. Otherwise you might be confused when the
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) bone claws
show up all of the sudden. It was refreshing to not have another origin rehash that hollywood seems to love so much. It is very much a standalone film in that regard.
That's a good thing.

Quote:
I'm kind of tired of prequels/reboots that lead up to that big "a-ha" moment at the end to show you how it all started. (think Man of Steel)
That makes 2 of us.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1465437/the-wolverine-july-26#post_23566376

I ask because the previous movie was pretty bad IMO.

In fact, I would place it at the bottom of all of the Marvel live-actions.

Wolverine was always one of my favs, but he hasn't been well-served onscreen.
I agree w you (though I like Jackman). Origins is terrible, but I don't know if it's worse than Elektra or The Punisher. And Wolvie in the comic was a sub-five foot ball of fire. He's definitely toned down for the cinema.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.