Anyone else here missing out on the current "Golden Age Of Television?" - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 58 Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

This is the first I have read of a new TV golden age, they are probably reffering to one TV show and one does not make a golden age.

Saying TV is better then the current hollywood output is not saying much especially with the patriotic drivel it pedals now that will age as well as Green Berets did.

Much more than one great show on TV. Breaking Bad (Going through again on bluray), Boardwalk Empire, Justified, Walking Dead, Homeland, tons of great TV. Better than most of the crap Hollywood is churning out.

Since those are actually cable company productions, not regular network tv, and more similar to movie production companies that network studio stuff.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 04-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

A Game of Thrones is simply the best show of all time, I love many shows, but Thrones is on another level, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't be into it.

I cant understand how someone could make this statement considering how different we all are. Breaking Bad for example is one of my absolute favorite shows, but I can certainly understand how some people would be turned off with it due to the subject matter which goes for any show. GoT did nothing for me for various reasons with the few episodes I watched.

I know some women/girls who LOVE The Bachelor, but you flat out could not pay me to watch that garbage. I am willing to compromise in my relationship with certain things, but you have to draw the line somewhere and shows like The Bachelor are where I draw the line. Have fun, enjoy but please dont ask me to watch that trash (IMO) with you.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #33 of 58 Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We cut out cable in favor of Netflix and bluray rentals for about two years. When we went back to Time Warner TV last November, I found 30 minute shows with all the commericals unbelievably annoying. I just can't watch basic cable with all the commercials anymore.

Premium channel movies and series are all that is keeping us there.
post #34 of 58 Old 04-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

... A show not mentioned so far, but I consider it among the best is Sons of Anarchy. Walking Dead, Homeland, Dexter(not as good since the end of the Lithgow season, but still solid), and from the BBC shows like Copper, Luther and Sherlock are excellent as well. ...

I agree about SoA. I think it's about who's writing these amazing shows. Some show runners/writers I've followed from one project to the next. I used to watch The Shield, now I watch Sutter's new show - Sons of Anarchy. So Shakespearean in it's writing.

I was also going to suggest the BBC Dramas, especially the Steven Moffat written/produced/directed ones; Jekyll (on Netflix) and Sherlock. Each episode of Sherlock is like watching a movie. They're each 90 minutes long, and I found myself checking the running time many times to see how far along I was.

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #35 of 58 Old 04-13-2013, 03:37 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 140

Interesting topic, Rich.

I'm sure some of the youngsters are just as befuddled by our fascination with old Marilyn Monroe, Fred Astaire, Bogart, Cary Grant, etc. films.

To be fair, I haven't seen alot of the TV series mentioned here because they're on channels I don't get (though I've also heard the generally good reviews on some of them). But probably the most off-putting aspect of the new series I've seen is the picture quality, specifically the digital video capture, which tends to make them look like soap operas run at a slower framerate. I just like the look and feel of film more, and it's much easier on my eyes.

I'm glad to hear that the 2nd season of GoT looks better than the first btw, because I just recently rented the first few episodes of Season 1 on DVD, and the PQ (ie digital cinematography) was just abysmal, and painful to watch. (Then I put on the Blu-ray of Excalibur and was in blissful contentment again.) The only digitally shot series that's looked pretty decent to me so far is Legend of the Seeker (season one anyway). That had a pretty filmic look imo, and some very nice HD cinematography. The other one I'll occasionally watch is Downton Abbey.

ADU
post #36 of 58 Old 04-14-2013, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Heaven forbid I should attempt to wake her up in the middle, or she'll bite my damn head off. "I'M AWAKE GODDAMMITT!! Stop trying to wake me up! I'm completely awake and watching this stupid thing!!" Literally 15 seconds later: "Zzzzzzzzzzzz...."

This is my wife as well. Insta-sleep and pissed if you imply she is sleeping and not watching.

We watch quite a bit of hockey in our (Canadian) household plus a few selected network shows like The Big Bang Theory (love it!) and Revolution (jury is still out on that one). I dont think we even get whatever channels are showing Game of Thrones, Mad Men, etc. I have no idea what those channels are in Canada, or when the shows are on. And availability of affordable streaming in Canada is far inferior to the US (we have no Hulu, and Netflix has a tiny selection). Nor do I really have the time to catch up on multiple seasons of a show.

More power to those of you who can manage to watch 5-10 1-hour shows every week!
post #37 of 58 Old 04-14-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 604
I'm just the opposite. Watch far more television than movies. I look at great serialized TV (which is pretty much all I watch) like 'Breaking Bad', 'Mad Men', 'Justified', 'Deadwood', 'Rome', 'Battlestar Galactica', LOST (at least the first 5 seasons), 'The Americans', 'Charlie Jade' and many others as the audio/visual equivalent of long-form novels. There's so much more time for character and plot development than in a 2 hour movie. Those I equate to short stories. Like them both, but sinking my teeth into a great serialized drama is much more satisfying to me. That's where the "good stuff" is these days, by and large.

I'm building a new house with a dedicated theater, but I suspect that I'll still spend more time watching top-flight TV shows than movies in there.
post #38 of 58 Old 04-14-2013, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Fascinating topic.

Even though I'm a HT buff I didn't have cable from 2000 to 2011. Used an antenna to pull in the local stations for sports and news, and watched plenty of movies. I'm definitely a movie guy.

My wife and I have discovered a few TV series over the past several years, but only after they've wrapped up the whole series and gotten rave reviews. Then we do the Netflix "rent and devour" approach and finish an entire series in a few months. So far we've done this for :

Lost
Battlestar: Galactica
Friday Night Lights

Each one was a great experience, since we're not accustomed to watching TV and wouldn't have the patience for the commercials (even fast-forwarding through them with a DVR).

And by waiting until the whole series is over, we feel sorta safe that we're not wasting our time on something that will have a dud ending and piss off its fans.

post #39 of 58 Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 140

I enjoyed Lost and Deadwood as well. (Lost in particular had some pretty stunning cinematography.) Both of those series were captured on 35mm film though, as opposed to digital video. I tried the new 5-0 as well, and just couldn't get into it because the digital cinematography wasn't that pleasing to look at. (If it had been shot on film though, like the original series, then I probably would've been a regular viewer.)

Digital is fine for indie/student projects, web shows, reality shows and 3D animated features, but not for movies and scripted TV imo. The quality (and more importantly, watch-ability) just isn't there for me... And the more they try to make it look like film, the worse it tends to get imho. Bottom line: if you want me as a viewer, then capture your TV show or movie on film. It don't get much simpler than that.

ADU
post #40 of 58 Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

Bottom line: if you want me as a viewer, then capture your TV show or movie on film. It don't get much simpler than that.

You're going to have to get used to digital, because film is dead. Neither the cameras nor the stock are being manufactured anymore.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #41 of 58 Old 04-19-2013, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

You're going to have to get used to digital, because film is dead. Neither the cameras nor the stock are being manufactured anymore.

While video is stating to rule the Cinema, have they really stopped making film? There are some directors that still use film, are they just using leftovers?

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #42 of 58 Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

While video is stating to rule the Cinema, have they really stopped making film? There are some directors that still use film, are they just using leftovers?

Maybe they can only accomodate a few VIP clients, like Spielberg or Nolan... wink.gif
post #43 of 58 Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Have you seen this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2014338/

post #44 of 58 Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

It was shown on television very late, so I feel alseep. I hope it comes to netflix.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #45 of 58 Old 04-20-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

This looks very interesting - thanks for bringing it to my attention!
post #46 of 58 Old 04-20-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

It was shown on television very late, so I feel alseep. I hope it comes to netflix.

I watched it on Netflix streaming, its available as a disk also.

post #47 of 58 Old 04-22-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

Fuji discontinued cinema film. It looks like Kodak discontinued its still photo film, but (for the moment) still does cinema film. However, the company is in very bad financial shape and may not be around for much longer.

All of the Hollywood studios have aggressively pushed to phase out film for everything except archival purposes (where it's still more reliable than digital).

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #48 of 58 Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Here is a recent article from Variety that discuss the latest about film vs. digital; Filmmakers Lament Extinction of Film Prints
post #49 of 58 Old 04-22-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
I am arriving late at this very interesting thread. I guess I am one of the OP's usual suspects in that I watch a lot of serialized TV shows. Why not? After all, wasn't that why God invented the 4 tuner DVR?smile.gif

I have an ever increasing BD library, so I watch a lot of films too but television programming takes up the majority of my TV viewing week. My favorite one hour shows these days, in no particular order, are:

Game of Thrones
Justified
Mad Men
Boardwalk Empire
The Americans
Homeland
Breaking Bad
The Newsroom
Smash (What can I say? I'm a sucker for musical theater in all its guises.)
Sons of Anarchy
Southland
Strike Back
Elementary
Banshee
Ripper Street

There are several 30 minute shows I like to, including but not limited to Nurse Jackie and Californication
post #50 of 58 Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 402
The golden age of tv for me was the 80's. Matt Houston, The fall Guy, Cheers, The A-Team, Magnum, P.I. to name but a few. That there is some quality television, son. I do like both The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. Never seen Dexter.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #51 of 58 Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 720
post #52 of 58 Old 04-24-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25

Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

The OP isn't alone.

Very few people ever are alone.

post #53 of 58 Old 04-24-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

Very few people ever are alone.

DAMMIT MAN I'M ON A DIGITAL ISLAND
post #54 of 58 Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My clone sleeps alone.

Quick! Name the artist!
post #55 of 58 Old 04-24-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Earlier in the thread somebody mentioned late lamented Deadwood. Even after all these years, it remains my all time favorite TV show. David Milch's profanity laced dialog was more poetry than prose. For example:
Quote:
Sol [the man Trixie has fallen in love with]: Why did you go to him [Al Swearengen, the proprietor of the bar and whorehouse where Trixie had been the head girl]?

Trixie: I've lived most of my life a whore, and as much as he's her misery, the pimp's a whore's familiar, so the sudden strange or violent draws her to him. Not that I wouldn't learn another way.

Jesus!
post #56 of 58 Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Jesus!

Da' Jesus. Don't f@ck with him.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #57 of 58 Old 04-25-2013, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

My clone sleeps alone.

Quick! Name the artist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Jesus!

Nope. Not Him.
post #58 of 58 Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Da' Jesus. Don't f@ck with him.

Jesus Quintana, is one of my all time favorite movie characters and certainly the funniest one, John Turturro has ever played. As profane as the Coen brothers' Jesus was, I think we can agree that he talked like a choirboy compared to Milch's Al Swearengen, although the foulmouthed Walter Sobchak was probably in Al's class .smile.gif
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page