Anyone else here missing out on the current "Golden Age Of Television?" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 58 Old 04-06-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 322
I've posted this in the forum I presume would be filled with movie enthusiasts like myself.

I wonder if there are any other people left, like myself, who do not watch any of the currently popular TV shows. We continually hear
that this is the new Golden Age of TV, with massive audiences for The Walking Dead, Mad Men, Game Of Thrones....(not to mention many other shows over the past decade). The idea is that actual dramatic quality has shifted more in favor of cable TV shows. And it makes some sense. Movies have become so unwieldy, so expensive to make and market that little can be left to chance, hence the lack of creativity.
All those things you couldn't risk putting into a movie are now happening on TV, hence much of the appeal of the quality TV shows.

I get it.

But...I can't get into it.

In my case I think it mostly boils down to I'm just a "movie guy." I've built a projection based home theater, have well over 500 movies on Blu-Ray. I watch something on my home theater every night and still it's daunting to even try and get through my own movie collection, let alone fit in a TV show...let alone follow a whole season...let alone follow MULTIPLE TV shows as so many people do.

Even if you don't watch any movies at all I'm amazed how anyone finds the time to watch all this TV. I always encounter other couples who list off all these TV shows they follow enthusiastically, watching live, downloading, renting seasons on DVD. I think it's actually an amazing thing as getting into a TV show can be thrilling, especially sharing that ritual with a spouse, family or friends.

But I still can't see fitting it into my schedule given all the movies I've never seen, with new ones coming out all the time.

The other odd thing for me is, even when I switch on one of these shows, be it Mad Men, Dexter...or any other raved about show...I just can't get into it. It still feels like A TV Show. Even low budget movies have, for me, some more sense of the "cinema" or artistic depth than I get from these shows, which seem to have this formula, this quality bar that makes me feel I'm watching the cheaper cousin of the Movies.

Am I alone here?

Someone hold me...I'm feeling cold...

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 04-06-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Well, your title drew me in as I was thinking what golden age? We back in the 50s/60s again or something ? smile.gif

I'm mostly a film fan, large collection of dvds and building up my blurays now and most of my time watching is spent on film. I subscribe to a couple movie channels on DirecTV and use Netflix streaming and Amazon Prime, too.

I don't watch a lot of network tv, the only shows I do watch I record so I can watch without commercials. Only current one is Elementary. I watch Jeopardy now and then. Letterman regularly. I caught Life after it's run on network tv on Netflix, that wasn't too bad, and enjoyed 24 that way....for a while as it got old quick. Of the cable channel productions I did like Breaking Bad quite a bit, but that was well after its run when I could just watch it in order on Netflix. You really need to watch most of these series type shows in order to get the most from them but they all can only go so far before feeling "stretched". The lack of censorship is a plus as is the more mature themes generally now, though.

Now, when you have to judge things as a couple the rules change completely in my experience. I'm a single guy and like what I like, don't want to compromise that for mutual sharing of programming smile.gif

post #3 of 58 Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
You can tell different types of stories over the course of 10 or 15 hours per season of a serialized drama than a film. When people talk about it being a golden age for television, they are mostly referring to a small handful of well-written shows aimed at an adult audience, like Game Of Thrones. Movies have increasingly shifted away from adult storytelling in favor of the search for younger and younger audiences. I do think it is a daunting task to catch up on a complete season in one fell swoop, no matter what the quality. I find my long-term enjoyment of a television series is increased if I can watch it in regularly spaced intervals, much like the weekly broadcast schedule.

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #4 of 58 Old 04-06-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I wouldn't say I'm "missing out", but I don't watch them live (I don't even have cable TV). Lately I go back after the fact and pick up on shows that were universally enjoyed. Game of Thrones, Fringe, etc.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #5 of 58 Old 04-06-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I hear you, but not sure of your conclusions. Everyone has their thing, and mine tends to the visual. I object to much of what I see on BD films in that regard. I often wonder why BDs of good TV look "better" to me than many 9 figure movies - Breaking Bad, Justified and Mad Men are good examples. The Sopranos too - looks great in HD, and great for me since I never saw it originally - unfortunately no series BD yet last time I checked. No, they're not cinematic in scope, but pretend they're a nice indie and you're good to go.

Often movies I'd like to see either aren't available on BD, or aren't available for rent and I'm not buying something to see if I like it.

Expectations are lower for TV, or higher for film if you want to look at it that way - I'm disgusted when I see a huge budget stinker (latest Batman, Prometheus) but can let stuff slide for TV. If you haven't tried a good series on BD, you might be surprised.

Any film with Hollywood money is going to be compromised is a safe generalization. I was disappointed with Argo for instance - loved the first two thirds, but was throwing stuff by the end with all the false tension and the absurdity of the runway chase. Hollywood ...

But, I totally with you on the cinematic element to film (whatever cinematic means to you.) When I see a movie that could be a TV show, I'm disappointed - there needs to be something "more" to a movie than just story telling which is basically all TV does. When you stumble into a great one, where what could be a simple story turns into a cinematic experience, I get chills ... Take Shelter would be a good example.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #6 of 58 Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
If the trailer or the preview of a show doesn't suck you in, then don't worry about missing anything. Before I get up on my soapbox, I would just like to state that I have watched many of the current crop of "premium television" series (Game of Thrones, Dexter, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, etc.) and will be lumping them in together in order to generalize my overall opinion. All of these shows are good, but if you can't get into it, you're not really missing anything you haven't see before.

The most golden thing about modern television is the profitability. To me, it feels more like each production is just trying to outdo one another in terms of how long they can prolong simple storytelling. All I see is a ton of normal TV shows with rated-R or NC-17 levels of sex, violence, drugs, and language often as filler substituting for engaging characters and plots. To be fair, some of the plotlines and characters are compelling, but on the whole, most just stick to the tried-and-true formula of having incredible season premiere and cliffhanger episodes and then nothing but fluff in between. I'm not saying there aren't minor payoff moments throughout the seasons, but the payoff moments usually aren't worth the agonizing wait.

One of my friends that doesn't agree with me says, "Oh, you just don't like serial television, you only like episodic television." That's not it at all, I just like it when THINGS HAPPEN in between season finales. rolleyes.gif
post #7 of 58 Old 04-08-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm one of the ones who isn't missing out. Some of the shows we watch (or have watched) include:

Dexter
Breaking Bad
Grimm
Mad Men
The Walking Dead
Sons of Anarchy
Boardwalk Empire
True Blood
The Sopranos

There are some others but those are the better ones. This is all without cable, BTW. We get everything on Netflix, Hulu, or Blu-ray. For us, it's just a way to unwind at the end of a busy day. Usually we won't even hear about a show until it's on its second, third or even fourth season. We'll watch a couple episodes per night for a month and be caught up. Otherwise, we'll watch one or two episodes of whatever just got released. I still do prefer movies, however, but not enough get released that seem interesting. The TV shows fill in the gaps.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
post #8 of 58 Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I watch The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory, and Community.

Don't really have time for more. I used to watch Boardwalk Empire but since a major event at the end of season 2, I can't get into it anymore.

- my electro-industrial music project

post #9 of 58 Old 04-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 443
I enjoy both movies and TV (movies in the HT, cable on the plasma upstairs). Shows we watch consistently are...

Dexter
Breaking Bad
South Park
Conan
Weeds (GF watches this, not me)
Family Guy
Tosh.O
Ridiculousness
Walking Dead
The Office
Workaholics

Tried watching Game of Thrones but it did nothing for me.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #10 of 58 Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

If the trailer or the preview of a show doesn't suck you in, then don't worry about missing anything. Before I get up on my soapbox, I would just like to state that I have watched many of the current crop of "premium television" series (Game of Thrones, Dexter, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, etc.) and will be lumping them in together in order to generalize my overall opinion. All of these shows are good, but if you can't get into it, you're not really missing anything you haven't see before.

The most golden thing about modern television is the profitability. To me, it feels more like each production is just trying to outdo one another in terms of how long they can prolong simple storytelling. All I see is a ton of normal TV shows with rated-R or NC-17 levels of sex, violence, drugs, and language often as filler substituting for engaging characters and plots. To be fair, some of the plotlines and characters are compelling, but on the whole, most just stick to the tried-and-true formula of having incredible season premiere and cliffhanger episodes and then nothing but fluff in between. I'm not saying there aren't minor payoff moments throughout the seasons, but the payoff moments usually aren't worth the agonizing wait.

One of my friends that doesn't agree with me says, "Oh, you just don't like serial television, you only like episodic television." That's not it at all, I just like it when THINGS HAPPEN in between season finales. :rolleyes:

I find tv to be a bit of a trap. There are so many shows that could draw you in. Make you invest your time and interest to it, and when it falters you WANT it to keep being good so you hang in there. I suppose any consumer level thing is this way, but I just don't have the time for that.smile.gif

I watch shows with my school age daughters. Disney channel, Storage Wars etc and then sports and guy movies in my HT. TV can't compete with the incredible audio a good bluray can put out. Every now and then I will check out a show that seems to fit my taste but is a hard breakthough to be a planned watch. My only real show is The Walking Dead and it is kind of a trap where the shows just don't go anywhere.

post #11 of 58 Old 04-08-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Man, I just don't know how lot of you fit all those TV shows into your life. It's so hard for me just to get to get a movie or two in a week. (I work in film and have a family...but I'm hardly the only one here with a job and family, and yet others can provide lists of TV shows they manage to follow. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone...)

Rich H

post #12 of 58 Old 04-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Man, I just don't know how lot of you fit all those TV shows into your life. It's so hard for me just to get to get a movie or two in a week. (I work in film and have a family...but I'm hardly the only one here with a job and family, and yet others can provide lists of TV shows they manage to follow. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone...)

Like you mention in your first post though, you watch something in your HT every night. Finding the time to watch a 1/2 hour or hour show most nights (shorter if you watch on disc and dont have to deal with commercials for shows where these are involved) has to be understandable in light of that. You say you only watch one or two movies a week, so what do you watch all those other nights considering you watch something in your HT every night?

post #13 of 58 Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

I've posted this in the forum I presume would be filled with movie enthusiasts like myself.

I wonder if there are any other people left, like myself, who do not watch any of the currently popular TV shows. We continually hear
that this is the new Golden Age of TV, with massive audiences for The Walking Dead, Mad Men, Game Of Thrones....(not to mention many other shows over the past decade). The idea is that actual dramatic quality has shifted more in favor of cable TV shows. And it makes some sense. Movies have become so unwieldy, so expensive to make and market that little can be left to chance, hence the lack of creativity.
All those things you couldn't risk putting into a movie are now happening on TV, hence much of the appeal of the quality TV shows.

I get it.

In my case I think it mostly boils down to I'm just a "movie guy." I've built a projection based home theater, have well over 500 movies on Blu-Ray. I watch something on my home theater every night and still it's daunting to even try and get through my own movie collection, let alone fit in a TV show...let alone follow a whole season...let alone follow MULTIPLE TV shows as so many people do.

Even if you don't watch any movies at all I'm amazed how anyone finds the time to watch all this TV. I always encounter other couples who list off all these TV shows they follow enthusiastically, watching live, downloading, renting seasons on DVD. I think it's actually an amazing thing as getting into a TV show can be thrilling, especially sharing that ritual with a spouse, family or friends.

But I still can't see fitting it into my schedule given all the movies I've never seen, with new ones coming out all the time.

The other odd thing for me is, even when I switch on one of these shows, be it Mad Men, Dexter...or any other raved about show...I just can't get into it. It still feels like A TV Show. Even low budget movies have, for me, some more sense of the "cinema" or artistic depth than I get from these shows, which seem to have this formula, this quality bar that makes me feel I'm watching the cheaper cousin of the Movies.

Am I alone here?

I find it much easier to find time for an hour long TV show on a weekday night than a two hour movie. Watch 5 episodes a week, and there's not much of a time issue. As for movies having more "artistic depth", I find this to be an unsupported generalization. It simply makes no sense to claim that, say, GI Joe or some other movie targeted at male adolescents has greater "artistic depth" than Game of Thrones or Mad Men (have you even watched these shows?). The best shows lack for nothing in terms of acting, writing, or costume design, and can go into far, FAR greater character depth than any movie ever could. I think your attitude is unsupported by the facts.
Quote:
I work in film
So that means you'd never accept a job working in "mere TV"?
post #14 of 58 Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Like you mention in your first post though, you watch something in your HT every night. Finding the time to watch a 1/2 hour or hour show most nights (shorter if you watch on disc and dont have to deal with commercials for shows where these are involved) has to be understandable in light of that. You say you only watch one or two movies a week, so what do you watch all those other nights considering you watch something in your HT every night?

I can see your point.

And also that a 1 hour TV show could fit into someone's schedule better than a longer movie. I guess I see all these people watching seasons at a time...but I get the point.

Rich H

post #15 of 58 Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:

I get it.

Am I alone here?

This is me to a T. You are not alone, Harkness.
Quote:
To be fair, some of the plotlines and characters are compelling, but on the whole, most just stick to the tried-and-true formula of having incredible season premiere and cliffhanger episodes and then nothing but fluff in between. I'm not saying there aren't minor payoff moments throughout the seasons, but the payoff moments usually aren't worth the agonizing wait.

And this is exactly what all these TV shows are to me. About 5-10% of the interesting stuff and tons and tons of mediocre 'drama' and an ending made to make you watch the next episode.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #16 of 58 Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

RobertR,

I thought I was pretty clear that I was speaking subjectively, not making an objective critical appraisal of TV. Like I said, I get why people think these TV shows are terrific. I just have a hard time getting into any
of them when I check them out. (It's like team sports. I can see how people can love them, and I think it's great that people play 'em. I just have never been able to get interested). I never compared something like GI Joe to Game Of Thrones. I simply pointed out they still felt like TV shows to me. Compared to many low budget movies I've seen, I can just sense the TV machinery behind the shows and...again..to me...I can often something more movie-like, cinematic, artistic about movies. It's just how things strike me, not an objective claim.

Yes, I do lots of work in TV as well. I enjoy it and probably enjoy TV most when I'm working in it. I get to follow the characters through seasons so I can get hooked. But that's after working on the shows. In general I'm much more drawn to put on movies for my own past time.

Rich H

post #17 of 58 Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
How? Tv Addiction that's how, i need to get back to just movies and more bike riding friend! ^ How do the folks who follow sports follow TV as well? That one I'll never understand. There are guys who watch every game of their sports team, how is that possible? eek.gif

Breaking Bad is worth the hype, it's all there streaming so you can go on a bender over a weekend and catch up. (Though I like to leave some space between episodes and esp. season finales)
All the rest are pretty meh, Dexter is about to go in the toilet. Walking Dead.....well yah it's a zombie show so it will have it's moments, but meh, also I heard once they get to the Prison (Season 3 i believe) the comics go downhill.
Game of Thrones was ok, but something was missing to really make me say "Woooooahhhh awesome show!!"
Community and Big bang theory were funny for about 2 seasons. (But I still love The Office!) biggrin.gif

If you like cars definitely check out Top Gear! Made it through that whole show in about a year, awesome!

post #18 of 58 Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Dexter going in the toilet????? No way man! biggrin.gif I LOVED how this past season ended.

post #19 of 58 Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Dexter going in the toilet????? No way man! biggrin.gif I LOVED how this past season ended.

IMO, Dexter has been pretty bad the last couple seasons.
post #20 of 58 Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post

I watch The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory, and Community.

Don't really have time for more. I used to watch Boardwalk Empire but since a major event at the end of season 2, I can't get into it anymore.

Very similar tastes here. My TV watching consists of The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory, and Boardwalk Empire. That's really it.

When I saw Golden Age of Television in the thread title, missing the word current, my thought was "I have the complete Twilight Zone on blu-ray, what else would I need?" biggrin.gif

post #21 of 58 Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

IMO, Dexter has been pretty bad the last couple seasons.

One show that I think has been bad the last few seasons which I have quit watching is The Office. Good thing this is the last season.

Another show I quit watching years ago which has just become horrible IMO is The Simpsons. I used to love that show, but it is flat out lame these days IMO.

post #22 of 58 Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 358
We have a rule in my home theater that when we're watching a movie, it's a lights-out, total bat cave environment. But when we watch TV shows, I allow my wife to turn on a small light that she uses while knitting. This is important because the knitting helps keep my wife away. With the lights out, she will 100% of the time fall asleep before the end of a movie - usually within the first hour, sometimes before the opening credits have left the screen. And she invariably wakes up cranky, demanding to know what she missed in excruciating point-by-point detail.

Heaven forbid I should attempt to wake her up in the middle, or she'll bite my damn head off. "I'M AWAKE GODDAMMITT!! Stop trying to wake me up! I'm completely awake and watching this stupid thing!!" Literally 15 seconds later: "Zzzzzzzzzzzz...."

While knitting, she can usually make it through at least one hour long show, maybe an hour drama followed by a half-hour sitcom before she passes out.

So, for that reason, we watch a lot more TV than movies.

Meanwhile, when she's watching TV alone in the living room, she can sit through a 12-hour marathon of the Real Housewives of Bimboville and not miss a damn second of it.
chirpie likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #23 of 58 Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

We have a rule in my home theater that when we're watching a movie, it's a lights-out, total bat cave environment. But when we watch TV shows, I allow my wife to turn on a small light that she uses while knitting. This is important because the knitting helps keep my wife away. With the lights out, she will 100% of the time fall asleep before the end of a movie - usually within the first hour, sometimes before the opening credits have left the screen. And she invariably wakes up cranky, demanding to know what she missed in excruciating point-by-point detail.

Heaven forbid I should attempt to wake her up in the middle, or she'll bite my damn head off. "I'M AWAKE GODDAMMITT!! Stop trying to wake me up! I'm completely awake and watching this stupid thing!!" Literally 15 seconds later: "Zzzzzzzzzzzz...."

While knitting, she can usually make it through at least one hour long show, maybe an hour drama followed by a half-hour sitcom before she passes out.

Meanwhile, when she's watching TV alone in the living room, she can sit through a 12-hour marathon of the Real Housewives of Bimboville and not miss a damn second of it.

Hilarious! tongue.gif Thanks for sharing Josh.

My GF feels for some reason that HT movie time goes hand in hand with rub my neck and shoulders time. rolleyes.gif There is a time and place for that, but not when we are in the intensity of the HT and why do I have to do this every ****ing time!!! If I try to nicely tell her I will massage you later, she gets pissy and then I feel like a dick. She does not expect this at all watching TV upstairs where I would not mind it nearly as much, but when I am watching something in the HT, I am focused! I much prefer to watch movies alone in the HT because of this.

Ahhhh.....women. Gotta love em.....right? biggrin.gif

post #24 of 58 Old 04-09-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25

I guess I'm totally in the other spectrum. I don't see how anyone can have over 500 movies unseen. Are you the type that buys every movie? I watch TV because I don't have enough movies to see; lot of them are well done, in fact, better than most of the movies I have to choose from.

post #25 of 58 Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm definitely not missing out. I was surprised 2 or 3 years ago when I realized just how freaking good TV got all of a sudden. TV has taken over the majority of my viewing. Not just the storytelling, look at the amazing acting in these shows. The movie Lincoln had a 1st rate supporting cast, made up of actors almost entirely from todays best TV shows! In my theater room we watch these shows with lights completely out. A show not mentioned so far, but I consider it among the best is Sons of Anarchy. Walking Dead, Homeland, Dexter(not as good since the end of the Lithgow season, but still solid), and from the BBC shows like Copper, Luther and Sherlock are excellent as well. Network TV is starting to step it up, The Following is good, and Hannibal shows real promise.

A Game of Thrones is simply the best show of all time, I love many shows, but Thrones is on another level, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't be into it. Amazing performances across the board, even from child actors, too many storylines to count, just as cinematic as movies(especially as of the 2nd season), there is no filler in this show, every episode counts, and their too short.

I actually have a pet theory, that we have reality shows to thank for our current golden age of scripted television. After the shitfest that is Survivor came about in 2000, (false)reality shows sadly just kept gaining popularity, the dumber the show, the bigger the audience. The writers had to make dramas to be really outstanding in order to gain a foothold in a (false)reality favored market. These incredible scripted shows feel like a direct reaction, trying to draw audiences back to plots.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #26 of 58 Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Having "young" kids, 7, 9 and 11, with bedtime 8pm, we are just getting back "into" watching HDTV say 8:30-9:30 before ..well what couples do.

Anyway I've missed much TV, but recently got hooked on The Big Bang Theory and can't get enough!
It's a gem IMO.

Reality shows? belch
Game shows? wtf...
Idol and the other same shows? old, time to sunset them

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #27 of 58 Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

I actually have a pet theory, that we have reality shows to thank for our current golden age of scripted television. After the shitfest that is Survivor came about in 2000, (false)reality shows sadly just kept gaining popularity, the dumber the show, the bigger the audience. The writers had to make dramas to be really outstanding in order to gain a foothold in a (false)reality favored market. These incredible scripted shows feel like a direct reaction, trying to draw audiences back to plots.
Well said on every level! I loathe those "reality" shows.
post #28 of 58 Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

LOL, can I ever relate.

My wife just have a passion for movies and falls asleep during pretty much every movie we've ever tried to watch at home (this, for over 20 years). And she has the same "don't bug me, I'm awake" reactions too. I'll notice her drifting off, hold my hand over her eyes (not touching) and say "Honey, are you still watching?" "Huh...yes of course I'm still watching" "Really, what's happening?" (Hand still covering her eyes). "I don't know, did they find the thing yet?" "No honey, they haven't found the thing yet. Still looking for it." "Ok, don't bug me. Don't forget to turn the dishwasher on!..."

And it's amazingly consistent among many of my pals. Their wives/girlfriends all fall asleep during movies at their homes and when they visit mine. In the years I've been hosting movies at my place no male has ever fallen asleep, but if anything a majority of the women have fallen asleep!

Another classic: Recently I had a bunch of people over watching the big screen (I have a large, long sofa that seats up to about 8 adults). The two wives at each corner of the sofa were texting each other about stores, clothes etc.

Horrible confession time: The ratio of episodes of The Bachelor I've watched with my wife to movies she has watched with me is horrifying....

Rich H

post #29 of 58 Old 04-09-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

This is the first I have read of a new TV golden age, they are probably reffering to one TV show and one does not make a golden age.

Saying TV is better then the current hollywood output is not saying much especially with the patriotic drivel it pedals now that will age as well as Green Berets did.
post #30 of 58 Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

This is the first I have read of a new TV golden age, they are probably reffering to one TV show and one does not make a golden age.

Saying TV is better then the current hollywood output is not saying much especially with the patriotic drivel it pedals now that will age as well as Green Berets did.

Much more than one great show on TV. Breaking Bad (Going through again on bluray), Boardwalk Empire, Justified, Walking Dead, Homeland, tons of great TV. Better than most of the crap Hollywood is churning out.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page