Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-07-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 206
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085910/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

A subjective documentary that explores the numerous theories about the hidden meanings within Stanley Kubrick's film The Shining (1980). The film may be over 30 years old but it continues to inspire debate, speculation, and mystery. Five very different points of view are illuminated through voice over, film clips, animation and dramatic reenactments. Together they'll draw the audience into a new maze, one with endless detours and dead ends, many ways in, but no way out.

I'm in the minority but thought this was a huge let down. Some of the theories and analysis are ludicrous. I would have enjoyed this more if the focus was on the obsessed theorists instead of just adding their commentary over stock footage. Let me see the crazy, e.g. King of Kong, An American Scream, Best Worst Movie etc.

Currently $6.99 VOD & dvd/bd coming later this year.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
You're not in a minority. Most of the good analysis is plucked from the fine links on the Kubrick Site.
The rest, as our friends across the pond like to put it, is Bollocks!

wink.gif

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
post #4 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

I'm in the minority but thought this was a huge let down. Some of the theories and analysis are ludicrous. I would have enjoyed this more if the focus was on the obsessed theorists instead of just adding their commentary over stock footage. Let me see the crazy, e.g. King of Kong, An American Scream, Best Worst Movie etc.

My daughter and I saw this at the Madison (WI) film festival on Wednesday. The director and entourage were present. The audience was constantly laughing at the conclusions that the commentators were coming to. One was reminded of all the conspiracy theorists who are convinced that they have the answers that have eluded everyone else. Of course the guy who went on about the fake Apollo landing was a hoot.

On the plus side, my daughter who has never seen 2001: A Space Odyssey on the big screen was totally impressed with the included clips from the movie.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Watched this via iTunes rental the other night. Entertaining.

If nothing else, I think Room 237 is a study of the effect of movies on the mentally ill. The obsessive woman had to have been the nuttiest. "Centaur"? Sorry honey....that was just a ski poster. But the film does make you wonder what was an intentional symbol/visual meticulously placed by Kubrick and what was simply continuity error.

One of the various moon theories I have heard in recent years was that NASA did in fact go to the moon....beginning w/ Apollo XII. The space agency was simply not 100% ready to put men on the moon by the end of 1969. SInce there was a desperate need to both fulfill JFK's promise of landing on the moon before the end of the 1960s as well as to not look any less than superior to the Soviet space program, the US Govt hired Kubrick - whose 2001: A Space Odyssey was a sort of audition reel, whether the director knew it or not - to film "the moon" of Apollo XI out @ Area 51. By Apollo XII, NASA was more confident of a successful mission and the remaining Apollo missions were in fact real.

Now, don't take this topic up w/ Buzz Aldrin unless you want an old man to pop you in the mouth.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #6 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Watched this via iTunes rental the other night. Entertaining.

If nothing else, I think Room 237 is a study of the effect of movies on the mentally ill. The obsessive woman had to have been the nuttiest. "Centaur"? Sorry honey....that was just a ski poster. But the film does make you wonder what was an intentional symbol/visual meticulously placed by Kubrick and what was simply continuity error.

One of the various moon theories I have heard in recent years was that NASA did in fact go to the moon....beginning w/ Apollo XII. The space agency was simply not 100% ready to put men on the moon by the end of 1969. SInce there was a desperate need to both fulfill JFK's promise of landing on the moon before the end of the 1960s as well as to not look any less than superior to the Soviet space program, the US Govt hired Kubrick - whose 2001: A Space Odyssey was a sort of audition reel, whether the director knew it or not - to film "the moon" of Apollo XI out @ Area 51. By Apollo XII, NASA was more confident of a successful mission and the remaining Apollo missions were in fact real.

Now, don't take this topic up w/ Buzz Aldrin unless you want an old man to pop you in the mouth.

I wouldn't put it past our lovely gov to want a backup landing in hand "Just In Case", nor would I be surprised if said "Backup Landing" leaked and a number of people buy it as proof of...bla, bla. OK, fine. Daniken Called and he wants his tin foil back.

As for Kubrick inserting levels of meaning, you bet. It's just not as deep as people would prefer. He was clever...to a point.
There's a long history of filmmakers inserting nods to each other, their favorite pet, or just plain ol' screwing with you for no good reason other than it's a boring day wink.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I really like The Shining so I loved this movie, even though I'd already read about many of the theories regarding The Shining on various websites over the years. Some of the theories (okay, most of them) are pretty "far out" but if you like The Shining and like analyzing the films of Stanley Kubrick, you really should watch this movie!

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page