post #482 of 495 Old 01-28-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I usually end the conversation by something like "keep going you know I don't care anyway, I'm just a parisian in exile" smile.gif
See Rich's post below.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

We have our own separatists in certain places. Far from trying to talk them out of it, most of us would be very happy to see them go. tongue.gif
DON'T get me started!tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #483 of 495 Old 01-29-2014, 06:12 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Not to derail the thread wink.gif , but I gave Elysium another chance and I still found it cheap and annoying.
David, you need to try to stay on topic. No more talk of Elysium in the Elysium thread.
darthrsg and Dbuudo07 like this.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #484 of 495 Old 01-29-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

David, you need to try to stay on topic. No more talk of Elysium in the Elysium thread.
He can be such a buzzkill.biggrin.gif
Dbuudo07 likes this.

post #485 of 495 Old 01-29-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

But then, you Americans think we Canadians say "aboot" instead of "about". No one else does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Quebec doesn't count when we speak of Canada, since they're always talking about separating. tongue.gif

Quote:

English being not my first language (I'm french), I may be fluent (almost! wink.gif ), but I admit some accents are hard to understand, at least for me. Even in District 9 Copley was hard to follow sometimes.

You guys are lucky you reside outside of the U.S., because if we didn't like what you posted we'd sign a petition to have you deported.

BTW, would you be so kind as to take those idiots off our hands? Please! Feel free to introduce them to the grizzly bear; after they come out of hibernation. wink.gif
post #486 of 495 Old 01-29-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:

My boss is a separatist... pisses me off when he talks about politics... I usually end the conversation by something like "keep going you know I don't care anyway, I'm just a parisian in exile" smile.gif

I would chalk up the Separatists' crazy notion that they would be better off as a sovereign French speaking enclave, surrounded by the English speakers in the rest of Canada and the United States to their being French, except that you're French too but aren't nuts. smile.gif Canada is a pretty good country as if is, eh?
post #487 of 495 Old 01-29-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

You guys are lucky you reside outside of the U.S., because if we didn't like what you posted we'd sign a petition to have you deported.

BTW, would you be so kind as to take those idiots off our hands? Please! Feel free to introduce them to the grizzly bear; after they come out of hibernation. wink.gif
With the arctic ice receding rapidly, the polar bears are starting to starve and drown.
If the Canucks legalize hillbilly heroin on the northern shoreline, maybe we can keep the bears well fed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I would chalk up the Separatists' crazy notion that they would be better off as a sovereign French speaking enclave, surrounded by the English speakers in the rest of Canada and the United States to their being French, except that you're French too but aren't nuts. smile.gif Canada is a pretty good country as if is, eh?
I found B.C.(only province I have been to) to be a great place.

The people are not of the boisterous sort, but are friendly if you reach out to them.

Vancouver and Victoria are terrific tourist destinations.
Both cities are beautiful, clean, and safe to walk around.
Lots of historic sites and other interesting things to see and do.

post #488 of 495 Old 01-31-2014, 09:00 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

The British and Irish have some of the most difficult dialect to understand.

Warning: If the F word offends you, don't watch. The kid is good.

That kid was awesome, I started cracking up with some some of the random stuff he was saying with the accents he provided.

Frank

post #489 of 495 Old 02-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just saw this it was good. Not great. Not movie of the year Why? because it was too cliche. You knew things would happen and what the results would be because Hollywood is too cliche and they are big on happy endings
post #490 of 495 Old 04-23-2014, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
*hands teacher tardy slip*

Just watched this last weekend after taking the wife out for cheap mexican dinner and a pitcher of margaritas knowing that would put her in food coma and let me watch this movie without groaning about "a sci-fi movie?"...

Ended up I was groaning a bit at the end but such is life. The Oblivion thread discussion kept referencing this movie so I was excited to watch it and had fond memories of D9 bouncing in my head but aside from the same lighting friendly CGI and a common actor and maybe a tinge of the political undertones (or overtones depending on your take) I quickly figured out this was not D9 quality and by the end felt it was not even Oblivion quality. Like someone else said - one and done. I'm glad I waited for it to hit STARZ on demand.

A quick jog through the recent pages of this thread hadsome of these comments catching my eye;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

When did the (now uber-cliched) thing start where suddenly everything goes quiet, a flashback starts or it goes into slow-mo, and the string pads start with an Indian singer wailing away over them? I can't count the number of times I've seen that used in movies in recent years. It's reached the point of almost being annoying due to it's overuse.

I'm with you - and I'm going to say Gladiator was the first to nail it with the hand gliding over the wheat field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Hey! What happened to my pic of the Honey Badger? It was OT, I know, but that was funny! (well, to football fans anyway) Haven't we historically gotten a pass for clever, inoffensive wordplay?? frown.gif

Let's face it. This thread's about talked out anyway. It needed a little injection of fun. Let's sum Elysium up for the newcomers: Special effects: good! Message: bad! Damon & Foster: meh. Blomkamp: disappointing.

wink.gif

Nailed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

I saw the movie after reading this thread, which was mostly negative. A lot of times low expectations can help but not here. I think the big problem with Elysium for me is the potential they left on the table. Normally a movie that's just mediocre doesn't bug me too much, but this could have really been something. I think that's the bigger crime. Similar to Prometheus.
I can find no reason not to give that a shot a few times.

Ah yes - the disservice rings familiar. The parts were there - jumbled as they were, convoluted with script re-writes to appease the suits for sure and lead the viewer down the path like 1st graders walking to the zoo and see the lions. In the end we got tastes of what could have been.

My final thought is while many people found major flaws with both Oblivion and Elysium, at least if you weren't buying the story and found yourself yawning at predictability, you at least had awesome visual landscapes and an audibly satisfying soundtrack with very little war-like hammering of explosions to disrupt the flow in Oblivion.

If there's a sequel/prequel/spinoff I hope it follows the exploits of Kruger in a Bourne-esque genre of future super soldier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y_HhSFdFAc biggrin.gif

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #491 of 495 Old 04-23-2014, 06:54 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

Just watched this last weekend after taking the wife out for cheap mexican dinner and a pitcher of margaritas knowing that would put her in food coma and let me watch this movie
Sounds like she got the better end of the deal.
HD Hockey Guy likes this.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #492 of 495 Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Sounds like she got the better end of the deal.

*rimshot*

tongue.gif

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #493 of 495 Old 04-23-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The separatists got completely slammed in the Quebec provincial elections two weeks ago, so all the separatist talk should wane for at least the next 5-10 years.

BTW, I love Canada. It's a great model for what the US should aspire to be biggrin.gif
archiguy likes this.
post #494 of 495 Old 04-23-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

The separatists got completely slammed in the Quebec provincial elections two weeks ago, so all the separatist talk should wane for at least the next 5-10 years.

Hopefully that will shut them up for good! tongue.gif
post #495 of 495 Old 04-23-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My wife's family are from B.C. and every time this separatism stuff comes up I ask them about it.
They always say something to the effect "We hope to God they win the win election this time.....good riddance."

Quote:
BTW, I love Canada. It's a great model for what the US should aspire to be biggrin.gif
Agreed.

Quote:

Hopefully that will shut them up for good! tongue.gif
Not likely.wink.gif

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Elysium Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page