Elysium - movie of the year - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I keep hearing about D9 in this thread. When I finally saw it I thought it was merely "good"; the lead was a little too Steve Carrell (Michael Scott) for myself.

That being said, I want to see Elysium for myself, even if I end up catching it on BD which it looks as though I'll have to at this point.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

I keep hearing about D9 in this thread. When I finally saw it I thought it was merely "good"; the lead was a little too Steve Carrell (Michael Scott) for myself.

That being said, I want to see Elysium for myself, even if I end up catching it on BD which it looks as though I'll have to at this point.

D9 wasn't the second coming but had a real, natural, believable setup and was "low" budget. Corral undesirables. Similar to Alien Nation, it tackled things people don't like to talk about or believe are happening.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just got back from an afternoon show, and I'm PUMPED. Elysium is in fact the movie of the year. I'm buying the Blu-Ray, and it will find a place in my "Top 25" movies.

The good stuff is that this is that rarest of gems, an original SF plot. It bears no particular resemblance to any SF movie I have ever watched, and only faint echoes of a few of the thousands of SF books I have read - none of which made it to movie status.

It is also as bleak and Dystopian a view of the future as any I've seen. In fact, much of the Earth surface scenes were shot in a genuine Mexican slum. The studio shots were made in Canada, and the quite impressive visual effects were made by the excellant Weta Digital lab in New Zealand started by Peter Jackson and used for many excellant SF and Fantasy movies. (In an amusing typo, the movie credits say "WETA" which is a chronicly underfunded PBS station in Washington DC that I used to watch.)

The visual effects are fantastic, clear and well rendered, none of that barely-glimpsed murkiness of cheaply made movies. The physical props such as the exoskeletons are also very well done. The surround is clear and distinct, has excellant bass, and all the sounds are perfectly located. I sat dead center and front half in a large theater with a 4K projector and a very large screen, and I was impressed with both image and sound quality.

If I have any criticism, it is that I could only partially understand Sharlto Copely, the actor who had the lead role in District 9, and who plays a heavy in Elysium. He was not nearly as unintelligible in the earlier film, his South African accent is THICK. Somebody must have allowed or encouraged him to talk like that - or at least, didn't notice his dialog was so difficult to follow.

The action sequences are very well done, the weapons tech is convincing, and the blood looks real. Yes, it is violent, but the violence is to a purpose and not gratuitous.

Neill Blomkamp is indeed one of the more talented writers and directors for SF movies today. I rate this one as on a par with District 9 and I expect it to win awards.

See this one in the best theater in your area, it's worth the trouble.
darthrsg likes this.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Bought the 1st show on opening night yesterday @10pm because as the person who started this thread titled - Movie of the Year, I feel it was my AVS duty to see if it was that or another pooper like MoS.

Now the stuff that will rub many the wrong way and what I can see from the negative reviews is the bogged down of propaganda and politics that was ingrained throughout the movie and it was not good, at least to me. I really don't why Blonkamp had to go there, and make this movie some preachy numb down parallel to our problem with immigration and the Mexican border. The end act is what destroyed the whole thing. It was so hokey-pokey liberal wishy-washy view of what they think should happen to those trying to cross the border. Why, why, why??? IDK. What I liked so much with D9 is that it was able to infuse some of it but here it was so blatantly in your face and obvious spoon fed it will make you sick.

I can't really give it a thumbs up to go see it now in the theaters but this is def a rental when it's released. There was so much promise here to make this a grand epic Sci-Fi action thriller, but instead it chose to make it personal statement and dumb it down to all the masses like watching one them Sci-Fi TV shows like Falling Skies & Continuum.

The, "Message Movie," stuff toward the end of Elysium described by zoey67 is the kind of thing I hate in any film. (Spare us all from Hollywood lefties.) Nevertheless, I think I will still see Elysium because of its good parts. Just hope that the good outweighs the bad.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:11 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The, "Message Movie," stuff toward the end of Elysium described by zoey67 is the kind of thing I hate in any film. (Spare us all from Hollywood lefties.) Nevertheless, I think I will still see Elysium because of its good parts. Just hope that the good outweighs the bad.
If you'll recall, D9 was the same way and I thought it was great sci-fi. It wasn't thrown at you, but it was certainly there.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 08-09-2013, 08:47 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Red Dawn was a message movie.
Was the message get up and leave?

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Was the message get up and leave?

smile.gif for the remake yes.
vilfrard likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Any reviews on the 3d version?

neflixis our nemesis
Old 08-09-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 128
ELYSIUM Review:

'District 9' director and writer, Neil Blomkamp, gets three times the budget for his second film and goes completely Hollywood with it. Most every aspect of his delivery is very heavy handed, including his political views, emotional cues and prodigious use of shaky camera during some of the critical action scenes. There are a few good performances, such as Matt Damon's, but most of the acting is over-the-top. The biggest culprit: Oscar winner Jodie Foster. She was an odd distraction in every scene where she had to speak in her makeshift elitist accent - Similar to the goofy accent we had to endure from Will (I like making people cry) Smith and his son in the craptastic 'After Earth'. Even the sound mix overpowers most scenes, leaving very little time for things to simmer before hitting hard. Overall, while not the worst film I've seen this year, Elysium hovers in the mediocre pile. A film that with a few tweaks, could have been something closer to the likes of Blomkamp's brilliant 'District 9'.

Grade C+

My IMAX showing was in 2D.

David Budo
Old 08-09-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Just for the record, I rate it BETTER than D9, and find it has less of a "message movie" than D9, which I thought was very heavy-handed with the evils of racism and corporate greed. Elysium by contrast has a mild message about class divisions and the division between the haves/have-not's.

For the record, Jodie Foster's accent was her attempt at French-accented English. Some of her dialog was in French with English subtitles. She played a French national.....somebody wasn't paying attention. I grant you, she did not do the French perfectly, she had an American accent. And by the way, looked really old, and should have had some hair removed from her face before some scenes.

I told you, it was a really good image. 4K cinema is not kind to actors past their prime.
vilfrard likes this.

Gary McCoy

Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

For the record, Jodie Foster's accent was her attempt at French-accented English. Some of her dialog was in French with English subtitles. She played a French national.....somebody wasn't paying attention. I grant you, she did not do the French perfectly, she had an American accent.

Her english speaking accent had no trace of French in it. It sounded more like a bad Trans-Atlantic accent. This is the first time I did not enjoy Jodie in a film.

David Budo
Old 08-09-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 56
This is certainly not the movie of the year. Heavy handed and not at all convincing in terms of narrative. Quite a disappointment, given the trailer that promised more than it could deliver. But if one wants to see visual candy, this would fill the bill if one can withstand all the hand held camera shots that are shaky with just a portion of the face dominating the screen. It might help to park one's brains upon entering the theater.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Have a good time Gwsat, I think there's lots to like from it and hope you'll find it. Either way I'll be really shocked if you found it big waste of your money or time. I recall you loved Avatar so odds are you'll like this too.

And another thing I forgot to add that was very sappy and annoying was the excessive constant dream like flashbacks between Damon's and Bragia's character's when they were childhood BFF... which BTW totally reminded me of those in Gladiator when Crowe was hurting or suffering and he goes off to dream land with his wife and son with that Elysium music. I can tell you with 100% that there was no doubt in my mind Blomkamp used that for inspiration. Take note of this and you'll see exactly what I mean. It was so,.. so similar.

In D9, there was very little or none of this sappy sentimental hog wash and hand fisted social/political statement down your throat. At the same time, D9 didn't have the ultra awesome F/X and action sequences along with all the futuristic guns/grenades/weapons/advance machinery/gadgets, etc. Maybe his next film Blomkamp will extract the best from both, throw away the spoon fed stinky cheese and really blow my mind.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Upon reflection, there is one part of the technology that doesn't work for me. I'll use spoiler tags, and those of you who have seen the movie, tell me if you agree.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The space station is a wheel spinning around to give the equivalent of one gravity of centrifugal force at the rim. I'm guessing that it was perhaps 25 miles in diameter, and a mile across, with side walls that appear to be a half mile - or less - high. The inside surface of the wheel is open to space - I am assuming we are supposed to believe that the centrifugal force of rotation holds the air in place, similar to how one gravity holds the Earth's atmosphere to the planet.

Except I don't believe it. Nothing wrong with the theory - and Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven used a similar but much larger open structure for the "Ringworld" novels, where it was credible because of the hundreds of miles high mountain range/sidewalls. Similarly, one atmosphere of pressure at the Earth's surface is at the bottom of a layer of air more than 100 miles deep.

The proportions of the Elysium space station are off. It appears to be on the order of 25 miles in diameter, with half mile high sidewalls. There are no roof panels to hold the air in, and no nonsense about "force fields" confining the atmosphere, either. I think the air would all disappear in one big puff, leaving near vacuum at the inside surface of the wheel.

Gary McCoy

Old 08-10-2013, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

Upon reflection, there is one part of the technology that doesn't work for me. I'll use spoiler tags, and those of you who have seen the movie, tell me if you agree.
The space station is a wheel spinning around to give the equivalent of one gravity of centrifugal force at the rim. I'm guessing that it was perhaps 25 miles in diameter, and a mile across, with side walls that appear to be a half mile - or less - high. The inside surface of the wheel is open to space - I am assuming we are supposed to believe that the centrifugal force of rotation holds the air in place, similar to how one gravity holds the Earth's atmosphere to the planet.

Except I don't believe it. Nothing wrong with the theory - and Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven used a similar but much larger open structure for the "Ringworld" novels, where it was credible because of the hundreds of miles high mountain range/sidewalls. Similarly, one atmosphere of pressure at the Earth's surface is at the bottom of a layer of air more than 100 miles deep.

The proportions of the Elysium space station are off. It appears to be on the order of 25 miles in diameter, with half mile high sidewalls. There are no roof panels to hold the air in, and no nonsense about "force fields" confining the atmosphere, either. I think the air would all disappear in one big puff, leaving near vacuum at the inside surface of the wheel.
There are bigger tech problems than this in the movie. The tech in the spoiler can be explained. Note: If you haven't seen the movie go! smile.gif We're basically picking nits here. biggrin.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 08-10-2013, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I have any criticism, it is that I could only partially understand Sharlto Copely, the actor who had the lead role in District 9, and who plays a heavy in Elysium. He was not nearly as unintelligible in the earlier film, his South African accent is THICK. Somebody must have allowed or encouraged him to talk like that - or at least, didn't notice his dialog was so difficult to follow.. .
I think his character was South African and on the side of his shuttle there was a gazelle like logo (from what I could tell). Being the writer-director is from South Africa, who knows what he was thinking. But the character was truly a bad ass.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 08-10-2013, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

The script was reviewed on numerous websites last year and none praised it. They all said District 9's script was a lot better so I guess this isn't too surprising. Many director's often trip on their sophomore feature.
A script none of them should have had access to. People have been to taken to court and fired for much less.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All the people that hate all the stuff I love are hating Elysium. This means it will probably chew bubblegum and kick much ass. I really need to find a sitter so I can go to the damn theater. Pacific Rim, Trek, and this will all be bluray viewings for me. Oblivion is ordered and on the way.
Sorry I can't help with a sitter. frown.gif But I sure can relate to your statements about people and what they hate as an indicator of what's good. Enjoy Elysium however/ whenever you get there.
darthrsg likes this.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Well well well.... I saw it yesterday... So first I'll go with the good news:

- The visuals are extremely well done, considering their quality in District 9, I'd say it's in the same vein, and even better. Incredible detail and mix of CGI vs. "real world". The Elysium habitat is fascinating.
- As it's been already mentioned, it's an original story - this year in the science-fiction departement, so far we've had Oblivion and Elysium, it looks like some studios still have balls after all!
- Sony is behind the film, which means the Blu-ray will look and sound absolutely fantastic wink.gif
- Once again an R movie... with blood, flesh and body parts... So much convincing and "enjoyable" than the fake-looking CGI goo we have to endure so often. In short, a first-rate production design.

...and now for the bad news:
- When the film starts, I thought I was going to have a great science-fiction experience, I was prepared, I was eagerly expecting it.... still waiting.... All I got at some point was only an action movie with Matt Damon shooting the bad guys and trying to stay alive, in full Bourne mode...
- characters are all under-developed with no exception. We get a glimpse of them and when it gets interesting, the action takes over.
- I love Jodie Foster, but here her performance was a bit disappointing, I don't know why exactly, but something was off. She's not "bad" of course, but, I don't know, anyways...
- the minions in Despicable Me 1 & 2 are more intelligible than Sharlto Copley, at one point I gave up trying to understand what he was saying.
- the political "message", while I don't mind it per se, is a bit of a cliché and certainly nothing new. Considering the film doesn't go very deep debating and exploiting it, it's no big deal anyway.
- the ending is very predictable, we can see it coming very early in the movie.
- SHAKY CAM MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif it doesn't make an action scene more *cough* visceral, more intense, it makes it confused and stupid. It's so ridiculous at times I wanted to laugh.

So was it the "movie of the year" as the thread title suggests? Nope. Was it the "science-fiction movie of the year" then? Nope. Oblivion was better in many, many ways, and Gravity this fall looks very interesting... Elysium turns out a better-than-average action movie with a fascinating and dramatically under-developed science-fiction premise. But it sure looks amazing.

I won't learn anything new by watching it a second time, so no Blu-ray purchase on the horizon. That's too bad cause I really wanted to like this movie more.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:47 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

Bought the 1st show on opening night yesterday @10pm because as the person who started this thread titled - Movie of the Year, I feel it was my AVS duty to see if it was that or another pooper like MoS.

Well ok the good stuff. The weapons, artillery. futuristic gadgets and toys were just awesome and totally creative. The 1st 15 min the movie blew my mind with its epic sweeping earth view of our planet sitting next to Elysium this uber modern earth station for the rich. The massive scale of our earth looking like 3rd world slums, kinda like what you saw in Wall-E but in real time and it all looked "real" and not CGI. That stuff was just awesome and enchanting to look at, remind me and took me back to 1977 watching Star Wars and Alien for the 1st time. Blonkamp did a remarkable job in this aspect, upping his game with the imagery and landscape.

And everything to me felt like an extension of D9 which is good, you want that. Again the distinction and separate "class" between the have and have nots which I love about post-apocalyptic themes. If you liked that in D9 I don't see why anyone wouldn't like it displayed here again with more fervor. And there's prob even more combat and fighting between the humans and robots which is also taken to another notch and that was also amazing with many cool guns, bombs, radars, stealth hunting devices. That was prob my fav part of the movie.

Now the stuff that will rub many the wrong way and what I can see from the negative reviews is the bogged down of propaganda and politics that was ingrained throughout the movie and it was not good, at least to me. I really don't why Blonkamp had to go there, and make this movie some preachy numb down parallel to our problem with immigration and the Mexican border. The end act is what destroyed the whole thing. It was so hokey-pokey liberal wishy-washy view of what they think should happen to those trying to cross the border. Why, why, why??? IDK. What I liked so much with D9 is that it was able to infuse some of it but here it was so blatantly in your face and obvious spoon fed it will make you sick.

I can't really give it a thumbs up to go see it now in the theaters but this is def a rental when it's released. There was so much promise here to make this a grand epic Sci-Fi action thriller, but instead it chose to make it personal statement and dumb it down to all the masses like watching one them Sci-Fi TV shows like Falling Skies & Continuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Well well well.... I saw it yesterday... So first I'll go with the good news:

- The visuals are extremely well done, considering their quality in District 9, I'd say it's in the same vein, and even better. Incredible detail and mix of CGI vs. "real world". The Elysium habitat is fascinating.
- As it's been already mentioned, it's an original story - this year in the science-fiction departement, so far we've had Oblivion and Elysium, it looks like some studios still have balls after all!
- Sony is behind the film, which means the Blu-ray will look and sound absolutely fantastic wink.gif
- Once again an R movie... with blood, flesh and body parts... So much convincing and "enjoyable" than the fake-looking CGI goo we have to endure so often. In short, a first-rate production design.

...and now for the bad news:
- When the film starts, I thought I was going to have a great science-fiction experience, I was prepared, I was eagerly expecting it.... still waiting.... All I got at some point was only an action movie with Matt Damon shooting the bad guys and trying to stay alive, in full Bourne mode...
- characters are all under-developed with no exception. We get a glimpse of them and when it gets interesting, the action takes over.
- I love Jodie Foster, but here her performance was a bit disappointing, I don't know why exactly, but something was off. She's not "bad" of course, but, I don't know, anyways...
- the minions in Despicable Me 1 & 2 are more intelligible than Sharlto Copley, at one point I gave up trying to understand what he was saying.
- the political "message", while I don't mind it per se, is a bit of a cliché and certainly nothing new. Considering the film doesn't go very deep debating and exploiting it, it's no big deal anyway.
- the ending is very predictable, we can see it coming very early in the movie.
- SHAKY CAM MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif it doesn't make an action scene more *cough* visceral, more intense, it makes it confused and stupid. It's so ridiculous at times I wanted to laugh.

So was it the "movie of the year" as the thread title suggests? Nope. Was it the "science-fiction movie of the year" then? Nope. Oblivion was better in many, many ways, and Gravity this fall looks very interesting... Elysium turns out a better-than-average action movie with a fascinating and dramatically under-developed science-fiction premise. But it sure looks amazing.

I won't learn anything new by watching it a second time, so no Blu-ray purchase on the horizon. That's too bad cause I really wanted to like this movie more.

Thanks you guys for your reviews ill know wait for it too hit blu ray no need for me to venture to the theatre for this one.

Frank
Old 08-10-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 08-10-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

So a B- movie in a AAA suit, Morpheo?

That sums it up perfectly smile.gif

And don't get me wrong, it's worth seeing, but keep your expectations at the right level... I don't want to go off topic but as far as dystopian futures go in 2013, Oblivion's slow-paced, more reflective approach is much more interesting, at least to me.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

That sums it up perfectly smile.gif

And don't get me wrong, it's worth seeing, but keep your expectations at the right level... I don't want to go off topic but as far as dystopian futures go in 2013, Oblivion's slow-paced, more reflective approach is much more interesting, at least to me.

Cool, just like Timecop. Should be good then.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:

Well ok the good stuff. The weapons, artillery. futuristic gadgets and toys were just awesome and totally creative. The 1st 15 min the movie blew my mind with its epic sweeping earth view of our planet sitting next to Elysium this uber modern earth station for the rich. The massive scale of our earth looking like 3rd world slums, kinda like what you saw in Wall-E but in real time and it all looked "real" and not CGI. That stuff was just awesome and enchanting to look at, remind me and took me back to 1977 watching Star Wars and Alien for the 1st time. Blonkamp did a remarkable job in this aspect, upping his game with the imagery and landscape.

And everything to me felt like an extension of D9 which is good, you want that. Again the distinction and separate "class" between the have and have nots which I love about post-apocalyptic themes. If you liked that in D9 I don't see why anyone wouldn't like it displayed here again with more fervor. And there's prob even more combat and fighting between the humans and robots which is also taken to another notch and that was also amazing with many cool guns, bombs, radars, stealth hunting devices. That was prob my fav part of the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

ELYSIUM Review:

'District 9' director and writer, Neil Blomkamp, gets three times the budget for his second film and goes completely Hollywood with it. Most every aspect of his delivery is very heavy handed, including his political views, emotional cues and prodigious use of shaky camera during some of the critical action scenes. There are a few good performances, such as Matt Damon's, but most of the acting is over-the-top. The biggest culprit: Oscar winner Jodie Foster. She was an odd distraction in every scene where she had to speak in her makeshift elitist accent - Similar to the goofy accent we had to endure from Will (I like making people cry) Smith and his son in the craptastic 'After Earth'. Even the sound mix overpowers most scenes, leaving very little time for things to simmer before hitting hard. Overall, while not the worst film I've seen this year, Elysium hovers in the mediocre pile. A film that with a few tweaks, could have been something closer to the likes of Blomkamp's brilliant 'District 9'.

Grade C+

My IMAX showing was in 2D.

Thank you both for the feedback. That is enough for me to skip this one perhaps even when available for rent. I am so sick of Hollywood inserting their agenda into so many films. I'm sure Blomkamp lives in a home with no fence around the yard and leaves his doors unlocked given his position on the topic but good grief man can you just entertain us and save the preaching for your next fundraiser? Really a shame because I do like Damon (as an actor) and loved D9 (apart from the cliche military demonization). I expected this to have that message but hoped it would be more subtle. Too bad.
Dbuudo07 likes this.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

D9 wasn't the second coming but had a real, natural, believable setup and was "low" budget. Corral undesirables. Similar to Alien Nation, it tackled things people don't like to talk about or believe are happening.
OK, I see now; both have the same director. Not terribly familiar with him.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Call me crazy for asking but what about the "message" was bad or wrong? I've not seen it so I'll use the spoiler tags in case it's needed. If it's the fact that a message is there I see no issue.
Haves versus haves nots is age old, it's not new. How it parlays into our immigration issues is the question I have. The closest parallel I can see is neighborhood home owners association with covenants tight enough to only allow a certain income bracket to live there. Is Elysium a power hungry HOA president with little man syndrome telling Damon his grass is too high? It's almost like people are pissed because they know if they are reading this there ain't a seat on Elysium for them. Like I said I've not seen it so whatever. I remember Alien Nation being praised as intelligent scifi for taking on the issues it took on that are in our society and now a movie is getting dinged for doing it?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, I see now; both have the same director. Not terribly familiar with him.
Yeah, it's his sophomore effort so what can go wrong? smile.gif
Old 08-10-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope this doesn't go "off the rails", but to respond to your previous post, it seems some don't like having a little reality thrown in their face (gee, I wonder why?). But to "beat one over the head" is a different thing, though.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope this doesn't go "off the rails", but to respond to your previous post, it seems some don't like having a little reality thrown in their face (gee, I wonder why?). But to "beat one over the head" is a different thing, though.
Yeah it feels that way based on the comments on articles. HOW DARE HE HIGHLIGHT SOMETHING THAT'S REAL IN A SCIFI MOVIE

Tags
Elysium Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy