Elysium - movie of the year - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 495 Old 04-09-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Finally, the trailer it's here. Sooo looking forward seeing this awesome movie...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=102591
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 495 Old 04-09-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Thanks, Zoey. Looks cool.
post #3 of 495 Old 04-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Better be good. District 9 was a surprise hit. I'm keeping my expectations low but I am very interested in this one and have been for some time now.

EDIT: Erm.... okay. Just watched the trailer.....

F**k yes! biggrin.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #4 of 495 Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 283
This looks fantastic! I'm in! smile.gif
post #5 of 495 Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Me too.cool.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #6 of 495 Old 04-10-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I usually like Matt Damon, but he looks like a ish out of water here, I suppose intentionally.

post #7 of 495 Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Script reviews were so so. Not as enthusiastic as District 9. But yeah, I'm going. I am also not looking at the trailer. I want to go in completely blind.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #8 of 495 Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Looks good. But aren't we getting something similar soon with 'Oblivion' and Tom Cruise?
post #9 of 495 Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No, not really. Oblivion is more like I am legend out in space. Elysium is not about post-apocalyptic but about how in the future there's a more a separation between the rich and poor class. Like the saying we have now...the rich gets richer, the poor gets poorer. Well this takes it to the next level the rich gets to live on Elysium where you see that lady gets scanned for cancer and it's removed simply like a wart

I Think the premise is great and right my alley of fascinating movie plot. Btw did anyone notice Jodie Foster there, I barely recognized her. She was also in another one of my fav premise Contact about a worm hole out to another universe. I also think this Neill Blomkamp cat is the next Ridley Scott?James Camerson rolled up in one, this is what only his 2nd film and he's hitting them out of the ball park. I'll be anxiously waiting for all his upcoming films.
post #10 of 495 Old 04-12-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

No, not really. Oblivion is more like I am legend out in space. Elysium is not about post-apocalyptic but about how in the future there's a more a separation between the rich and poor class. Like the saying we have now...the rich gets richer, the poor gets poorer. Well this takes it to the next level the rich gets to live on Elysium where you see that lady gets scanned for cancer and it's removed simply like a wart

I Think the premise is great and right my alley of fascinating movie plot. Btw did anyone notice Jodie Foster there, I barely recognized her. She was also in another one of my fav premise Contact about a worm hole out to another universe. I also think this Neill Blomkamp cat is the next Ridley Scott?James Camerson rolled up in one, this is what only his 2nd film and he's hitting them out of the ball park. I'll be anxiously waiting for all his upcoming films.

Yeah I liked his style in D9 and am hopeful for this one.
post #11 of 495 Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 AM

Liked: 832
Trailer looks awesome, but some feels off to me. Hopefully there's some meat to the story.

Maybe it's the bionic exoskeleton that has be thinking of Real Steel for some reason.
post #12 of 495 Old 04-14-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

I usually like Matt Damon, but he looks like a ish out of water here, I suppose intentionally.
Felt the opposite way. This story is a perfect fit for Matt Damon.

Looks worth seeing on the big screen (visuals in the trailer are stunning).

Sanjay
post #13 of 495 Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tell me what movie that Damon does not look like a fish out of water? Ever since I saw him in the Francis Coppola film Damon has "always" had that boy-next-door innocent look to him. From The Bourne films to Good Will Hunting he always looks like a fish out of water. He like playing under dog roles or at least appearing like one. That's his shtick, it's pretty obvious.
post #14 of 495 Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I'm excited about this one too. Looking forward to seeing Sharlto Copley and Blomkamp working together again. Sharlto is hilarious.

I'm also a Damon fan. He usually delivers in his roles.

David Budo
post #15 of 495 Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 317
The trailer's not doing it for me. I liked District 9, but this looks like a retread of that, plus Blomkamp's video game influences are even more pronounced. It feels like he's still auditioning for that Halo movie he wants to make.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #16 of 495 Old 04-15-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The trailer's not doing it for me. I liked District 9, but this looks like a retread of that, plus Blomkamp's video game influences are even more pronounced. It feels like he's still auditioning for that Halo movie he wants to make.

I agree. The trailer makes Elysium look like just one more summer blockbuster with an A List cast. Once in a while something like that works for me but most of the time I regret having spent my money buying a ticket to see it. I'll probably wait until after it's released, and read what the critics say and what you guys say about it before committing to seeing it in the theater.
post #17 of 495 Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know, it was a tad under whelming but I felt the same way about District 9 so I'm not a bit worried. In fact, I didn't even want to see it and looked how that turned out. The problem I have with the trailer is that it looks like something from Joss Whedon directed...feels like a TV show.
post #18 of 495 Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

Tell me what movie that Damon does not look like a fish out of water? Ever since I saw him in the Francis Coppola film Damon has "always" had that boy-next-door innocent look to him. From The Bourne films to Good Will Hunting he always looks like a fish out of water. He like playing under dog roles or at least appearing like one. That's his shtick, it's pretty obvious.

This is pretty damn accurate. He always looks as though he shouldn't be in whatever movie he's in.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #19 of 495 Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

This is pretty damn accurate. He always looks as though he shouldn't be in whatever movie he's in.

I think that's a bit unfair: The Departed, True Grit, the "Ocean" movies, We Bought A Zoo? just to name a few...
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #20 of 495 Old 04-17-2013, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Damon has never worked for me as a leading man, but damn if he wasn't great in True Grit. If he played more "character" parts like that, I'd probably be a fan.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #21 of 495 Old 04-17-2013, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

Damon has never worked for me as a leading man, but damn if he wasn't great in True Grit. If he played more "character" parts like that, I'd probably be a fan.

I disagree. What makes him a great leading man is that he represents the average man better than the rest. He plays it differently from most of the leading man actors out there. For me, and I guess most people, this makes him relatable.

David Budo
post #22 of 495 Old 04-17-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I like Damon over Cruise most days of the week but will watch both.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #23 of 495 Old 04-17-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think that's a bit unfair: The Departed, True Grit, the "Ocean" movies, We Bought A Zoo? just to name a few...
C'mon Morph this is too easy for me...We Bought a Zoo??? he "again" is the rookie/newcomer/fish out of water when he and his family bought a zoo that they knew nothing about....yes? smile.gif:wink.gif

I'm telling you, that's his shtick, playing the under dog, Joe 6 pack. He's like Adam Sandler...just a bit more sophisticated in that they take blue collar roles.
post #24 of 495 Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

C'mon Morph this is too easy for me...We Bought a Zoo??? he "again" is the rookie/newcomer/fish out of water when he and his family bought a zoo that they knew nothing about....yes? smile.gif:wink.gif

I'm telling you, that's his shtick, playing the under dog, Joe 6 pack. He's like Adam Sandler...just a bit more sophisticated in that they take blue collar roles.

In We Bought A Zoo he had to cope with the death of his wife, raising his children alone, finding a new life and a new meaning for it. I think it's a character more complex than it seems, and yet restrained (when you spend 3/4 of a movie not being attracted by Scarlet Johansson, your character has some serious issues biggrin.giftongue.gif)

Adam Sandler? wow!.... Zoey..Zoey...ZOEY!!! wink.gif Matt Damon is an actor, Sandler...I don't really know what he is actually, except a very rich (good for him!) mediocre comedian who keeps making crappy movies (there must be a demand as well...)
thehun likes this.
post #25 of 495 Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In We Bought A Zoo he had to cope with the death of his wife, raising his children alone, finding a new life and a new meaning for it. I think it's a character more complex than it seems, and yet restrained (when you spend 3/4 of a movie not being attracted by Scarlet Johansson, your character has some serious issues biggrin.giftongue.gif)

Adam Sandler? wow!.... Zoey..Zoey...ZOEY!!! wink.gif Matt Damon is an actor, Sandler...I don't really know what he is actually, except a very rich (good for him!) mediocre comedian who keeps making crappy movies (there must be a demand as well...)

Gotta side with you here as far as Damon vs Sandler.
post #26 of 495 Old 04-17-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't why you guys are so harsh on Sandler. He's just as talented as Damon but in a different demographics and genre that's all. In terms of BO money and power I think Sandler's movies have raked in just as much as Damon or even more. I hate the guy in the 90's but I think I've learned to appreciate his style and what he has to offer to millions is that he makes people laugh and that's a great medicine.

And IMHO he's very talented has I've seen him in things like Punch drunk Love but most of this movies are so made for Joe 6 pack's and the masses with the crazy characters like You don't mess with the Zohan that other can look down on that and say its junk which is fair but he can do drama very well but chooses a different path. Bottom line is that they both entertain many, many movie goers including myself and that's what matters.

Ok here. perfect example. Look at the great De niro...you guys see him lately in that new movie The Wedding something. Look what his career has been reduced to in the past decade? He's gone from legendary status with the Godfather, Raging bull, Taxi driver now stooping to the bottom with crap like this and Meet the parents BS is IMO worse than anything Sandler has ever done. At least Sandler is being true to himself.
post #27 of 495 Old 04-18-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

Yep definitely count me in too.

Frank

post #28 of 495 Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't why you guys are so harsh on Sandler. He's just as talented as Damon but in a different demographics and genre that's all. In terms of BO money and power I think Sandler's movies have raked in just as much as Damon or even more. I hate the guy in the 90's but I think I've learned to appreciate his style and what he has to offer to millions is that he makes people laugh and that's a great medicine.

And IMHO he's very talented has I've seen him in things like Punch drunk Love but most of this movies are so made for Joe 6 pack's and the masses with the crazy characters like You don't mess with the Zohan that other can look down on that and say its junk which is fair but he can do drama very well but chooses a different path. Bottom line is that they both entertain many, many movie goers including myself and that's what matters.

Ok here. perfect example. Look at the great De niro...you guys see him lately in that new movie The Wedding something. Look what his career has been reduced to in the past decade? He's gone from legendary status with the Godfather, Raging bull, Taxi driver now stooping to the bottom with crap like this and Meet the parents BS is IMO worse than anything Sandler has ever done. At least Sandler is being true to himself.

I think Little Nicky is awesome and I do enjoy his and Damon's work. Except Bourne, just can't get into those and I'm a big action fan.
post #29 of 495 Old 04-18-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I think Little Nicky is awesome and I do enjoy his and Damon's work. Except Bourne, just can't get into those and I'm a big action fan.
Holy "different strokes for different folks"...you might the only person I know who doesn't like Bourne. Wow ok that's fine but that's a shame you're missing out. Just curious though, what is it about it? can't be because of Damon right because you say that you enjoy this work. Must be the shaky cam then...
post #30 of 495 Old 04-18-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 399
Quote:

Holy "different strokes for different folks"...you might the only person I know who doesn't like Bourne. Wow ok that's fine but that's a shame you're missing out. Just curious though, what is it about it? can't be because of Damon right because you say that you enjoy this work. Must be the shaky cam then...

I have loved the Bourne franchise, even the latest one with Jeremy Renner, and have all four films on BD. I agree that Damon was great as Jason Bourne in the first three.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Elysium Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page