Review: Butter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Why isn't there a thread on this one? Maybe I just missed it but I did a pretty good search. It's one of the funniest and most politically incorrect movies I've seen in a while. All the characters are excellent, and the comic acting is all excellent. It's the story of a butter carving competition in the mid-west which one guy (and his very scheming and ambitious wife behind him) have won for the last 15 years straight, and what happens when their dominance is challenged in a number of ways.

Jennifer Garner plays the wife, and she just nails the role, I thought. She's an exec producer as well, so I guess she helped pushed it forward? Olivia Wilde pays a stripper the husband gets involved with, to some hilarious consequences, and she's great also, and stupidly hot. Yara Shahidi plays a young orphan girl who emerges as a challenger, and I thought she did an amazing job, particularly for someone so young.

The script is hilarious and just filled with ridiculously funny non-PC situations and lines.

Anyway, probably plenty of folks have seen it, but I felt it deserved a thread of its own, so other people might get turned on to it.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-13-2013, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This was a very enjoyable film. I particularly liked the judges' interpretations of the winning sculpture at the end.

Worth another viewing for me smile.gif
post #3 of 10 Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
I tried this one for 1/2 hour and popped it out.

Although I am a huge fan of JG, the characters were too annoying for me to care about their fates.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #4 of 10 Old 04-14-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 102
It got more and more hilarious as the film rolled on.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-14-2013, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Any flick can not seem like it's coming together if you just aren't in the right mood at the time. I can't imagine how somone wouldn't enjoy it, generally speaking.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #6 of 10 Old 04-14-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Any flick can not seem like it's coming together if you just aren't in the right mood at the time. I can't imagine how somone wouldn't enjoy it, generally speaking.
Like I said: I didn't give a rat's a$$ about the characters enough to devote a couple of hours of my life to the endeavor....

post #7 of 10 Old 04-15-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My point being, you may just not have given it enough time to figure out that you might have given a rat's a$$ about them. Not every movie hits its stride in the first half hour.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #8 of 10 Old 04-15-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My point being, you may just not have given it enough time to figure out that you might have given a rat's a$$ about them. Not every movie hits its stride in the first half hour.
You have a point.wink.gif

post #9 of 10 Old 04-17-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Why isn't there a thread on this one? Maybe I just missed it but I did a pretty good search. It's one of the funniest and most politically incorrect movies I've seen in a while. All the characters are excellent, and the comic acting is all excellent. It's the story of a butter carving competition in the mid-west which one guy (and his very scheming and ambitious wife behind him) have won for the last 15 years straight, and what happens when their dominance is challenged in a number of ways.

Jennifer Garner plays the wife, and she just nails the role, I thought. She's an exec producer as well, so I guess she helped pushed it forward? Olivia Wilde pays a stripper the husband gets involved with, to some hilarious consequences, and she's great also, and stupidly hot. Yara Shahidi plays a young orphan girl who emerges as a challenger, and I thought she did an amazing job, particularly for someone so young.

The script is hilarious and just filled with ridiculously funny non-PC situations and lines.

Anyway, probably plenty of folks have seen it, but I felt it deserved a thread of its own, so other people might get turned on to it.

Gave this a stream last night per your recommendation. Took a little while to get going but once they reached the competition it started rolling right along.
Quote:

Olivia Wilde pays a stripper the husband gets involved with, to some hilarious consequences, and she's great also, and stupidly hot.

Uhh YES. And where did Ashley Greene come from? What a combo! I enjoyed the other handful of bit parts played by some recognizable actors. Worth a watch for sure.

Dean, have you seen Extract? I think you'd enjoy it.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #10 of 10 Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I had to look it up, but yeh I did watch that. It's been so long I barely remember anything about it, so maybe I'll throw it back on the list and rewatch.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page