Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Opens November 22.

This one should be good. I read the book in January, and it should be on par, if not better, than The Hunger Games.

I finished the final installment, Mockingjay, last month. I found Monkingjay to be anticlimactic, a bit slow, and disappointing. I breezed through Catching Fire, but it took much longer to finish Mockingjay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
OK, I'm in.smile.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I know this much from the trailer, the visuals and cinematography looks much better than the 1st one mostly from the direction of Francis Lawrence of I am Legend. Other than that, I'm not really holding my breath for it, I'll cue it up when it's released but the 1st one didn't really do much for me. I still think the premise of kids killing kids is kinda stupid and it takes a lot of creative writing to make it believable and watchable.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

I still think the premise of kids killing kids is kinda stupid and it takes a lot of creative writing to make it believable and watchable.

Not just kids killing kids in this one. This is the 75th Hunger Games. It is a "Quarter Quell:" an event that occurs every 25 years, where 24 victors from previous years compete once again. They even have an octogenarian. smile.gif
Old 04-16-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Not just kids killing kids in this one. This is the 75th Hunger Games. It is a "Quarter Quell:" an event that occurs every 25 years, where 24 victors from previous years compete once again. They even have an octogenarian. smile.gif

don't think i'd put any money down on the octo.

neflixis our nemesis
Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

don't think i'd put any money down on the octo.

But, but, but...it's Chuck Norris.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 128
The first film was one of the best adaptations of a blockbuster novel that I've seen in a while. The shaky cam was ridiculous at moments, but the writing and overall direction was very well done. As were the performances by the entire cast, particularly Jennifer Lawrence and Elizabeth Banks. Read the books and enjoyed them all. Very much looking forward to the rest of the trilogy.

David Budo
Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 299
When it hits Blu ray Ill give it a rent first.

Frank
Old 04-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The first movie was so-so - like a Cole's Notes, glossed over version of the book; not anywhere near as gritty. Compared to the novel, the events Katniss experienced in the Cornucopia in the film felt like a day at the beach. Most of the elements of danger, fear and brutality were stripped bare. And the CGI was pretty blah. I loved the books, btw.

Hopefully, this one will do a better job.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

thought hunger games was emminently watchable movie.

not great, but better than most..

look forward to ep 2

neflixis our nemesis
Old 10-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

It's 4 weeks until the movies release - anyone excited? I guess there aren't too many forum members that are teenage girls tongue.gif

A recently released featurette (I can't link to youtube at the moment as I'm at work) revealed that the IMAX presentation for this movie will switch between aspect ratios (similar to TDK).
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Specifically, when the Games' participants enter the Cornucopia

Catching Fire will also be available in Dolby Atmos mix.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I didn't catch the first movie until late (a month or so ago) and actually liked it a lot better than I thought I would. Enough to the point where I'm interested in the next installment. I can't say I'm excited but I am interested and will likely catch this one at the theater. Saw the trailer last night and looked pretty good....and consistent.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

It's 4 weeks until the movies release - anyone excited? I guess there aren't too many forum members that are teenage girls tongue.gif

A recently released featurette (I can't link to youtube at the moment as I'm at work) revealed that the IMAX presentation for this movie will switch between aspect ratios (similar to TDK).
Specifically, when the Games' participants enter the Cornucopia

Catching Fire will also be available in Dolby Atmos mix.

While making no judgment call at all, what does it say about us that
the only blockbuster franchise with a female lead generates zero interest on avs

neflixis our nemesis
Old 11-21-2013, 05:31 AM
CIH USER

I'm interested in it, will be looking forward in watching it on blu ray

Frank
Old 11-21-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Movie tickets are too damn high... smile.gif

So I'll be waiting, like I did for the first one, for it to come out on BD.

Not to get too far ahead, but I read the other day they are going to make the final installment, Mockingjay, into two parts (11/14 and 11/15). So the trend of milking TV shows as long as they can (Lost, Mad Men, etc., etc.) flows over into movie making. I thought Mockingjay, while good, was anticlimactic. There were times I thought it moved too slowly until the shin hits the fan. I can’t imagine how they will expand a book with the same amount of pages as the first two into two movies unless they do a lot of additional writing. The first two films run around 2:22, so if they half the third, we would be looking at 1:11. We know that isn’t going to happen, so I think we are talking about a major rewrite. That may or may not be good, but in any case I don’t like this trend.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
The Missus & I saw the first one in the theater, so we'll probably see this one there as well. Date night!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Reviews are looking good so far smile.gif

As for movie ticket prices... I usually go on Tuesdays, and with the added loyalty card discount, it works out to $6.50 a ticket. IMAX is more expensive, of course - still mulling whether to go IMAX for this one, or a Dolby Atmos equipped theatre instead.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

wow

darker, deeper themes

Intense

Better acted, way better directed.

should top the box for all releases this year

This is no chick flick

neflixis our nemesis
Old 11-22-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just got back from watching it in ATMOS. I thought a few scenes in the film sounded awesome in ATMOS! Especially the training room scene where Jennifer Lawrence's character is training with her bow.

Just glad it didn't have the shaky cam (as bad) like the first one! Check it out for sure!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 11-23-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Just got back from watching it in ATMOS. I thought a few scenes in the film sounded awesome in ATMOS! Especially the training room scene where Jennifer Lawrence's character is training with her bow.

Just glad it didn't have the shaky cam (as bad) like the first one! Check it out for sure!

I just noticed something interesting about myself. While I'm sure there is a tolerance minimum for audio and video quality at the theater, I don't scrutinize nearly as much as I do at home. Not relevant just thinkin out loud.

I'm looking forward I seeing this as are my sons. I just likely won't get the chance until after Thanksgiving.

Ticket prices are simply nuts but it's nothing new. Still, I recall mom sending me to the theater with $5. I could buy admission, popcorn a drink and still have enough or a few video games or a couple of White Castle hamburgers (some have something similar called Crystals) afterwards while waiting to be picked up. Even though still overpriced if at least feel better if they included a free popcorn or drink with the purchase of two tickets. Encourage people a little why don'tcha!
Old 11-23-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I just noticed something interesting about myself. While I'm sure there is a tolerance minimum for audio and video quality at the theater, I don't scrutinize nearly as much as I do at home. Not relevant just thinkin out loud.

I'm looking forward I seeing this as are my sons. I just likely won't get the chance until after Thanksgiving.

Ticket prices are simply nuts but it's nothing new. Still, I recall mom sending me to the theater with $5. I could buy admission, popcorn a drink and still have enough or a few video games or a couple of White Castle hamburgers (some have something similar called Crystals) afterwards while waiting to be picked up. Even though still overpriced if at least feel better if they included a free popcorn or drink with the purchase of two tickets. Encourage people a little why don'tcha!
Once you remove consumer electronics, everything else you buy if crazy priced. Clothes being one of the biggest offenders. That being said, this was a good movie and better the then the first one.
And the first one was pretty good. smile.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 11-24-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Saw it last night. A lot of talking, initially; I felt tremendously bored, but I went in awfully sleepy. I was fully awake by the time the action finally starts, but it seems way long, and feels like more of the same.

I might give it a second chance upon video release.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 11-25-2013, 06:27 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I just noticed something interesting about myself. While I'm sure there is a tolerance minimum for audio and video quality at the theater, I don't scrutinize nearly as much as I do at home.

Your not alone Closet Geek, when it comes Aq and PQ at home were all bad as each other smile.gif

Frank
Old 11-26-2013, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22

I'm going on saturday at our local "AMC Imax". 

hopefully they don't play back at exstremely loud levels lol!.  maybe i should by some ear protection, away some of my friends who saw the second film said it was better than first. 

Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Hsu Research Hc-1 MK2
Hsu Research VTF3 mk4 12" subwoofer
Old 11-27-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

wow

darker, deeper themes

Intense

Better acted, way better directed.

should top the box for all releases this year

This is no chick flick
I hope the CG fire and dogs once again look as good as that Syfy original movie I saw, oh and piano white teeth for all squirrel eaters! wink.gif

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 12-02-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/12/01/box-office-report-catching-fire-frozen/

this movie has almost a perfect demographic appeal. nearly 50-50 in male female attendance
and roughly the same split on over/under 25.

frozen has the advantage of a really well done animation by disney's revived animation studio and the fact that mom/dad have to go with the younguns to see the movie.

neflixis our nemesis
Old 12-03-2013, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Viewed on Thanksgiving at Edwards Imax. One of the better quality films of the year in cinematography and picture sharpness. Reasonable chance of 400M + box office and top ten all time in attendance.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
This was quite good. It was amusing to read at IMDB a slew of comments panning the film, universally because the posters were bored by the first of the film. Perhaps they were uncomfortable about drawing parallels about the political symbolism of haves and have-nots, and maybe they just didn't find it had sufficient things blowing up real good.

Everything was better this time: peformances, script, direction, pacing, casting. Jena Malone as Johanna stole most of her scenes, no mean feat when Jennifer Lawrence is in the vicinity, Lynn Cohen as Mags leaves a lasting impression in a tiny role, and Philip Seymour Hoffman is a heavyweight addition to the mix. It's worth the hassel to see this in the theater on a big screen.

CW Hinkle
Old 12-14-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Mrs. Archi & I made a rare trip out to our local octoplex last night to take in this movie since that's where we saw the first one. All I can say is I need me some CliffNotes. I know this series is targeted at teenagers, which may be why I had such a difficult time following the plotline. My biggest puzzler...
Katniss, stunned and losing consciousness, rigs an arrow with conducting wire and fires it up at the dome, right at the moment a lighting strike pumps zillions of jules of electricity into the wire, apparently triggering a catastrophic failure of the entire game system and blowing a hole in the dome's roof. And as luck would have it, PSH and the rest of the good guys including her District 12 main squeeze, are up there in the heliplane and can conveniently pluck her out, complete with Messiah imagery as her prone (but hot) body is pulled up to safety. Isn't that just too much of a coincidence? This entire plan, and the fate of everyone who's on the revollution side including the freakin' game designer himself, depends on her doing something completely random at exactly the right time. Huh?

That preposterous MacGuffin aside, we really enjoyed the flick and it was a nice date-night out. Of course, I pretty much really enjoy anything Jennifer Lawrence is in. smile.gif I'm looking forward to the movie in which she just sits there and reads the phone book. Preferably in a slinky, low-cut gown. Okay, sue me; I'm shallow like that. redface.gif
Old 12-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I wish IMAX would bring back catching fire at my local amc....looks like i have to get the bluray with the imax scenes intact or else it will be a disappointing release like MI GP.