LUCY - Scarlett Johansson to Lead Luc Besson's Sci-Fi tale - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

Old 02-11-2015, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
I already said a lot in the blu ray forum...
There's a blu-ray forum here?

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
There's a blu-ray forum here?
It's for pretentious wussies. Real men (or real tentacled extraterrestrials such as yourself) post in the movie/concert/music forum, by Crom!
Old 02-11-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
It's for pretentious wussies. Real men (or real tentacled extraterrestrials such as yourself) post in the movie/concert/music forum, by Crom!
Ha! I knew it. Now how 'bout a lift?

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Old 02-11-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I just streamed this one from Amazon Instant Video. It was a decent HD transfer, letterboxed 2.35:1, and Dolby 5.1 sound.

I'm in agreement with Zoey on this one, it's a better than average SF movie. It will not quite make my "Top Ten" movie list, but it's a definite BluRay buy and in my Top 100.

The end of the movie reminds me a lot of 2001: A Space Odyssey, without being derivative in any real sense. Lucy meet Lucy in Olduvai Gorge. Trippy visual effects, but with an underlying theme.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3402 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Quote:
OMG,..are you guys serious? Mr Oink,..am I the only one who thought this was more than just a shoot em up action but also a visual spectacle masterpiece? I already said a lot in the blu ray forum so I'll just try to add some more that needed to be said.

It starts out as your usual you know, Dark Angel-Resident Evil, or at least that's what you "think" it's going to be but it REALLY ISN'T AT ALL.

This movie is NOT about Lucy at all per se,..it's about mankind, evolution, time & space and whatever there is that we don't really know about it which is why I thought Mr Besson hit another gold mine like his other 2 opus Leon & The 5th Element. He is def back OMG, it took what nearly 2 decades but at least I know that genius of him is still there. Now if only Luc can just put out more like this every 2-3 yrs I'll be the most happiest person.

I mean shyte man,..the last 30 min I saw some of the most amazing, mind boggling transformation Sci-Fi I've ever seen which is a lot more than I can say for the other big wankers like Interstellar. You can't say it didn't lack originality because there was plenty of it in spades. Jeez,..I thought Limitless was pretty damn near perfect but this took it up notches,..BRAVO Mr Besson!
♦ Well said; I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post
... I'm in agreement with Zoey on this one, it's a better than average SF movie. It will not quite make my "Top Ten" movie list, but it's a definite BluRay buy and in my Top 100.

The end of the movie reminds me a lot of 2001: A Space Odyssey, without being derivative in any real sense. Lucy meet Lucy in Olduvai Gorge. Trippy visual effects, but with an underlying theme.
♦ I'm with ya.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I liked this movie a lot... but the oriental mafia action scene component felt contrived in order to create an inroad to add violence and mayhem to the movie. Transcendence kinda did this too with the anti-AI group which is supposedly Sarah Connor's crowd.

Biological super-intelligence or artificial super-intelligence has represented an avenue for storytellers for generations now. We could make a HUGE thread that literally names all the various movies. Matrix, Blade Runner, Automata, Battlestar Galactica, Ghost in the Shell, I Robot, the list goes on and on and on. The fact that this fascination permeates storytelling so deeply makes me think that superintelligence is not only something to worry about, but a LOT of people ARE worried about it... as they should be. Life will imitates art or whatever...

You could essentially watch every movie and anime on this subject in order and NONE of these would likely represent what a true super-intelligence would do to our lives. Most of the renditions of this event such as "Skynet" are meant to evoke an interesting movie story... A true super-intelligence could "take over" or supersede humanity with way less effort.

I think the book "Superintelligence" by Bostrom if a great read if you want a good "non-fiction" read on this subject. The issue is so serious, that a filmmaker will likely dumb it down with either some "hope for humanity" story or random violence. Look at just about every movie made on this subject and you will find that I am right.

Blazar!
Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
♦ Well said; I agree.

♦ I'm with ya.
You guys have talked me into a re-watch.
I might have missed something....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
The fact that this fascination permeates storytelling so deeply makes me think that superintelligence is not only something to worry about, but a LOT of people ARE worried about it... as they should be.
Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk are two.

Quote:
You could essentially watch every movie and anime on this subject in order and NONE of these would likely represent what a true super-intelligence would do to our lives. Most of the renditions of this event such as "Skynet" are meant to evoke an interesting movie story... A true super-intelligence could "take over" or supersede humanity with way less effort.
You're probably right about that...

Quote:
I think the book "Superintelligence" by Bostrom if a great read if you want a good "non-fiction" read on this subject.
Thanx for the heads-up (ordering from Amazon).

Quote:
The issue is so serious, that a filmmaker will likely dumb it down with either some "hope for humanity" story or random violence. Look at just about every movie made on this subject and you will find that I am right.
Who is up for writing a screenplay?????

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Not knocking Lucy but The Signal is a quite good scifi flick. You all should like it.
I've seen that on the shelf and wondered if it is any good for a rent. Either it must be the most stealth good movie of 2014 (because I've not heard a word about it) or it must be a terrible, low-budget bomb (because I've not heard a word about it).

On the subject of Lucy, I must have seen an entirely different version than zoey67 did. I thought it started out good enough, interesting premise, and intriguing ramp-up of capabilities as the movie progresses...but I thought all of the interaction got increasingly more silly and corny as the movie went along. I've never been all that crazy about Luc Besson movies, and this one seems no better than his previous works for the same reasons (thinking back to 5th Element, in particular). They start out really great and cinematic, but degenerate into a shallow, B-movie flick by the end. The Lucy character is great, but everything and everyone that happens around her for the remainder of the movie...just schlock, imo.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you like 'John Wick' better? ...And if yes, why? /// If not, why not?

'The Equalizer' ?

* Questions are for everyone, anyone.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post
I've seen that on the shelf and wondered if it is any good for a rent. Either it must be the most stealth good movie of 2014 (because I've not heard a word about it) or it must be a terrible, low-budget bomb (because I've not heard a word about it).

On the subject of Lucy, I must have seen an entirely different version than zoey67 did. I thought it started out good enough, interesting premise, and intriguing ramp-up of capabilities as the movie progresses...but I thought all of the interaction got increasingly more silly and corny as the movie went along. I've never been all that crazy about Luc Besson movies, and this one seems no better than his previous works for the same reasons (thinking back to 5th Element, in particular). They start out really great and cinematic, but degenerate into a shallow, B-movie flick by the end. The Lucy character is great, but everything and everyone that happens around her for the remainder of the movie...just schlock, imo.
His problem is, and has always been the writing. Even on the films he doesn't direct. It's been true since his first film. He doesn't know how to properly develop a character. You used the word shallow, and it's perfectly fitting. When I see a film from him, I know what to expect so I can enjoy it (because there's also much to enjoy in his work), otherswise I would always be disappointed.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Quote:

His problem is, and has always been the writing. Even on the films he doesn't direct. It's been true since his first film. He doesn't know how to properly develop a character. You used the word shallow, and it's perfectly fitting. When I see a film from him, I know what to expect so I can enjoy it (because there's also much to enjoy in his work), otherswise I would always be disappointed.
Thinking back, you are exactly right. I wouldn't mind any of his movies being even 15 min longer for character development.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:

I have to agree with this, minus the 5ifth Element comment of course. IMO there was nothing here to "get" or see. Lots of possibilities in the first half hour and then a rush to get it in the can for the rest.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 374
This was ok. Very nice visually, but the hand off from regular Scarjo to a Norma Cenva like character was a little too wooden for me.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 02-19-2015, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

DING-DING-DING!! well duh that sorta explains it right? ( btw I like your handle )

Ok I really had to restrain from busting your chops on your dislike for Besson cuz as we all know film is highly subjective of course right like art. But COME ON now,...you're telling me Mr Hanky you're putting Lucy in with his previous work so that means to you Leon did nothing for you? not a single thing?

Leon is prob easy IMO in the hall of fame top 25 films of all time. I don't know a single soul who did NOT love it. You can't be serious. And the 5th Element, ok maybe not for everyone cuz it's Sci-Fi but still one of the most brilliant entertaining films of all time. If you don't care for Leon then maybe movies are not your cup of tea. That just shocks my mind,..but then again I have a small hunch you're one of those who like to go against the norm just so you can be "that" only one.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Never heard of "Leon".

I just felt Lucy devolved into campiness in the same way that 5th Element did. Didn't he make some sort of space-prison movie, too? Same deal...neat concept that devolved into Besson campiness hell. ...and there was that CIA movie with Kevin Costner and Amber Heard, right? Except, the tone of that movie actually meshed with Besson's campiness, so it all worked out in the end on that one.

I may have not seen Besson's best works, but I know the sci-fi ones have compelled me to acknowledge that there is a "Besson bin" where I should file his movies. I always come away disappointed.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Never heard of "Leon".

I just felt Lucy devolved into campiness in the same way that 5th Element did. Didn't he make some sort of space-prison movie, too? Same deal...neat concept that devolved into Besson campiness hell. ...and there was that CIA movie with Kevin Costner and Amber Heard, right? Except, the tone of that movie actually meshed with Besson's campiness, so it all worked out in the end on that one.

I may have not seen Besson's best works, but I know the sci-fi ones have compelled me to acknowledge that there is a "Besson bin" where I should file his movies. I always come away disappointed.
I think it was billed as just "The Professional" in the states, I'm sure you've seen it. Natalie Portmans breakout role, Jean Reno being squeezably likeable, and Gary Oldman just killing it. I love most of his movies but agree with you on Lucy.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah yes, I've seen it, then. That movie was ages ago, right? I thought it was alright. Honestly, I thought it was just a remake of "Gloria" (from the 80's)...at the least, a very similar story.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Never heard of "Leon".

> face palm, triple SMH, WT hell, no way Jose. Well that confirms my initial gut instinct then right? You're in the wrong hobby.
FYI - The 5th Element is the Scarface of Sci-Fi,..with millions of nerd fans like Star Wars.

And as for the Costner Amber heard CIA, Besson was not the director just a co-screenplay.

Wow, now you really got my full attention. Would you mind giving your list of your fav Top 5 or 10 if you don't mind so I can see exactly what you're into.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ah yes, I've seen it, then. That movie was ages ago, right? I thought it was alright. Honestly, I thought it was just a remake of "Gloria" (from the 80's)...at the least, a very similar story.
It's not a remake as far as I know. Maybe a ripoff in some ways, OK maybe a lot of ways, but what isn't at some level. Leon hit a sweet spot for me, anyway. Maybe check it out again. The performances elevate it to the next level, IMHO.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
> face palm, triple SMH, WT hell, no way Jose. Well that confirms my initial gut instinct then right? You're in the wrong hobby.
FYI - The 5th Element is the Scarface of Sci-Fi,..with millions of nerd fans like Star Wars.

And as for the Costner Amber heard CIA, Besson was not the director just a co-screenplay.

Wow, now you really got my full attention. Would you mind giving your list of your fav Top 5 or 10 if you don't mind so I can see exactly what you're into.
I don't need to be examined or vetted by you, just because I'm not into Besson. I simply gave my opinion that Besson isn't really my fave, and 5th Element is kinda silly.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys like Terry Gilliam's films?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Old 02-20-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
A few.
Most come across as pretentious horse-poop to me.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
A few.
His stuff doesn't connect with me but from a distance it looks ok BUT I really liked Zero Theorem and Christoph Waltz's work there.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Twelve Monkeys was a classic mindf**k.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I really liked Zero Theorem and Christoph Waltz's work there.
Haven't seen yet.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
A few.
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Twelve Monkeys was a classic mindf**k.
Not just 12 Monkeys, but ALL his films are a ride in the mind.

______

* Luc Besson is a luminary, Terry Gilliam is a visionary, Tim Burton is a genius, ...films from the masters is food for the imagination of the mind.
So many great films so little time.

'Lucy' is real cool; everything...acting, entertainment, storytelling, interacting, picture and sound quality...all is top-notch.
Failing to see any which one of those numerous attributes is just simple human nature...none perfect.

♦ Art is an undefined form.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

None of us sees the same things from a same perspective. ...We all experience different intensities from different films.

It is a discipline to master the art of objective criticism under the true light of emotional and technological freedom.

So many great films so little time to explore.

Discoveries are made of dreams, and the dreams we have them in us; movie makers have dreams that they put onscreen. ...That's their job, their art, passion.
The viewers, us, and them too, we go for the ride inside their dreams...and those dreams become part of our overall dream of the multiverse.

'Lucy' is part of it.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
♦ Art is an undefined form.
FWIW, I would say "ill-defined," but that's just me.

Quote:
None of us sees the same things from a same perspective. ...We all experience different intensities from different films.

It is a discipline to master the art of objective criticism under the true light of emotional and technological freedom.

So many great films so little time to explore.

Discoveries are made of dreams, and the dreams we have them in us; movie makers have dreams that they put onscreen. ...That's their job, their art, passion.
The viewers, us, and them too, we go for the ride inside their dreams...and those dreams become part of our overall dream of the multiverse.
Bob, is this copyrighted?
If not, would you mind if I use it when I write my autobiography next week.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Usually people get banned for thinking and writing like that. ...Most people find it too simple, easy, not complicated and technically not difficult enough.
....Not challenging enough for the mind. ..Just like Lucy.

And when they copied stuff from Darwin and Einstein (without telling), and other people think its from the posters themselves, that's when they always get banned.

The largest scientists and the biggest peace/freedom fighters of humanity's history, were the most persecuted ones.

Last edited by NorthSky; 02-20-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement