AVS Forum banner

LUCY - Scarlett Johansson to Lead Luc Besson's Sci-Fi tale

9K views 214 replies 45 participants last post by  Aliens 
#1 ·
This project just came in and had to post this because after all this time the man can't help himself but do what looks to me like another 5th Element. The description sounds a lot like Lelo's character if you ask me. Besson's got Malavita coming out sept 20 and Lucy after that so I hope he's back in his element now. After Lucy maybe we'll get that sequel to Leon...

Scarlett Johansson is set to lead Luc Besson's Lucy, says a story at The Hollywood Reporter.

Besson will both write and direct the sci-fi action tale, which follows a young woman who gains super powers after being forced to work as a drug mule. But the drug instead goes into her system, giving her superpowers. She can absorb knowledge instantaneously, is able to move objects with her mind and can't feel pain and other discomforts.

Johansson, who last year appeared in both Marvel's The Avengers and Hitchcock, will next appear in Joseph Gordon-Levitt's directorial debut, Don Jon. She's currently in production on her third outting as Natasha "Black Widow" Romanov in Anthony and Joe Russo's Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Besson, best known for films like Leon: The Professional and The Fifth Element, will release his latest, Malavita, on September 20.

See less See more
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale/0_100#post_23248026

Love 5th Element loathe ScarJo.
I know...kinda interesting his choice of casting when in the past he's gone with younger and fresh up & coming talent like Jovovich at the time was a relative unknown and Portman who as everyone now knows hit it out the damn ball park... was her debut movie in Leon. Scarlett is yesterday news, not the fresh meat like she was during The Island years.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23248890

I know...kinda interesting his choice of casting when in the past he's gone with younger and fresh up & coming talent like Jovovich at the time was a relative unknown and Portman who as everyone now knows hit it out the damn ball park... was her debut movie in Leon. Scarlett is yesterday news, not the fresh meat like she was during The Island years.

Not even that I just don't think she is a good actress. Maybe she won't have to talk much and the CGI will overpower her.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale/0_60#post_23248701

Haven't been too impressed with any of Besson's recent movies, but here's hoping that this is a return to what he does best.
Agreed....the last LB film I really liked was Angel-A.

Here is something coming out in Sept. that looks interesting:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404311/

#8 ·
Besson hasn't directed a film (other than that animated thing) in so long, I can't even remember what the film was.

For me, La Femme Nikita and The professional are his only to great directorial efforts. All the others were flawed or worse. Don't get me started on Chris Tucker ruining The Fifth Element.

If this action flick is another PG-13 lame-fest, I will pass.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23249031

Besson hasn't directed a film (other than that animated thing) in so long, I can't even remember what the film was.

Arthur et les Minimoys, in 2006. But after that film, he also directed two other installments in 2009 and 2010 to complete the Arthur trilogy, The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec in 2010 also (french - kind of The Mummy in Paris, fun but flawed), and The Lady in 2011, which I haven't seen.

Now can someone explain to me why Nikita was renamed "La Femme Nikita" in the U.S.? Was it to sound more french or something? I've always found the US title so lame... No offense guys

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23249031

Don't get me started on Chris Tucker ruining The Fifth Element.

Quoted for solidarity.

Just seeing that sentence almost gets me started on Chris Tucker ruining The Fifth Element.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23249362

Quoted for solidarity.

Just seeing that sentence almost gets me started on Chris Tucker ruining The Fifth Element.

I'm not sure Tucker ruined anything though... That character was like Jar Jar. Why was he included in the story in the first place? That kind of decision is one of Besson's flaws.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale/0_60#post_23249288

Now can someone explain to me why Nikita was renamed "La Femme Nikita" in the U.S.? Was it to sound more french or something? I've always found the US title so lame... No offense guys
My guess is because of this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikita_Khrushchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale/0_60#post_23249463

I'm not sure Tucker ruined anything though... That character was like Jar Jar. Why was he included in the story in the first place? That kind of decision is one of Besson's flaws.
No doubt for comic relief.

Question is did it work or not?

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23248890

In the case of Milla, she was his main squeeze at the time, right? Not that I'm complaining, since I think she's great and particular at the time was utterly edible, but it probably played into her being chosen I'd think. And I think they were still together when he did Joan of Arc, right? Not to mention she has one of the top character names in a movie as well, Katinka Ingabogovinanana.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale/0_60#post_23249691

In the case of Milla, she was his main squeeze at the time, right?
Yeah, the dirty basturd.

On 2nd thought, I think I hate him....

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23249761

Yeah, the dirty basturd.

On 2nd thought, I think I hate him....

Sorry, anyone once married to Anne Parillaud AND Milla Jovovich is my hero.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23249463

The Fifth Element's Jar Jar. That's the perfect analogy. Yeah, I have to admit that despite all these years I've been hating on Chris Tucker for that totally out of place character, it's really Besson who did that to his own otherwise terrific film. He Jar Jarred it up.

Tucker completely redeemed himself in my opinion with his charismatic but understated role in Silver Lining's Playbook. He was charming and endearing. There was no sign of Prince on Speed in Space here.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23249463

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23249628

No doubt for comic relief.

Question is did it work or not?

Well, we don't all agree on that many things here, but in this case, I think it's unanimous. Good gravy, what was he thinking?

Unfortunately, that character is so repulsive, it just takes me out of the movie. Ruins any re-watchability for me. And, Tucker aside, it's a damn fun movie.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23254436

Well, we don't all agree on that many things here, but in this case, I think it's unanimous. Good gravy, what was he thinking?

Unfortunately, that character is so repulsive, it just takes me out of the movie. Ruins any re-watchability for me. And, Tucker aside, it's a damn fun movie.

Everyone in the film had comedy scenes. CT was only the most over the top of the cast.

The entire film is a very slick rub on SciFi. He's supposed to be irritating. Guess it worked

Agree, CT's screeching act gets old, but it worked first time in as a nice middle finger to

today's GaGa/Perry type cartoon stars, or whatever we had in the day...Madonna?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23251668

Sorry, anyone once married to Anne Parillaud AND Milla Jovovich is my hero.
The man has Carnal Knowledge of both women!

For that... he must die.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23254519

Everyone in the film had comedy scenes. CT was only the most over the top of the cast.

The entire film is a very slick rub on SciFi. He's supposed to be irritating. Guess it worked

Agree, CT's screeching act gets old, but it worked first time in as a nice middle finger to

today's GaGa/Perry type cartoon stars, or whatever we had in the day...Madonna?

Yeah, I agree. I can't stand Chris Tucker in anything else, but I think he fits perfectly in The Fifth Element because his character is an obvious a parody of inane, dipshit pop celebrities. He's supposed to be annoying. Hence all of Bruce Willis' barely suppressed disdain for him.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23249288

Arthur et les Minimoys, in 2006. But after that film, he also directed two other installments in 2009 and 2010 to complete the Arthur trilogy, The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec in 2010 also (french - kind of The Mummy in Paris, fun but flawed), and The Lady in 2011, which I haven't seen.

I've seen 'The Lady'. It is not good.

#22 ·
I forgot about THE LADY. Didn't see it.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23255007

Yeah, I agree. I can't stand Chris Tucker in anything else, but I think he fits perfectly in The Fifth Element because his character is an obvious a parody of inane, dipshit pop celebrities. He's supposed to be annoying. Hence all of Bruce Willis' barely suppressed disdain for him.

That's about as convincing as Lucas' excuse for characters like Jar Jar "Hey, I was making a movie for 12 year olds! If you thought Jar Jar was a misfire, you just weren't watching it right."

There are countless characters in movies who are meant to be annoying to another character, but you don't make the mistake of annoying the audience! You somehow make it a funny or entertaining situation for the audience to watch. I'm quite sure Tucker's character was not calculated to utterly turn off viewers from the scenes he's in - it's one thing to show one character annoying another, but it's self-defeating to annoy the audience, which surely is virtually never the goal. We were clearly supposed to get some sort of chuckle out of Tucker's outrageous behavior. But it was a Jar Jar effect for that movie (keeping in mind that to this day there are defenders of Jar Jar as well).

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness  /t/1470040/lucy-scarlett-johansson-to-lead-luc-bessons-sci-fi-tale#post_23255461

That's about as convincing as Lucas' excuse for characters like Jar Jar "Hey, I was making a movie for 12 year olds! If you thought Jar Jar was a misfire, you just weren't watching it right."

There are countless characters in movies who are meant to be annoying to another character, but you don't make the mistake of annoying the audience! You somehow make it a funny or entertaining situation for the audience to watch. I'm quite sure Tucker's character was not calculated to utterly turn off viewers from the scenes he's in - it's one thing to show one character annoying another, but it's self-defeating to annoy the audience, which surely is virtually never the goal. We were clearly supposed to get some sort of chuckle out of Tucker's outrageous behavior. But it was a Jar Jar effect for that movie (keeping in mind that to this day there are defenders of Jar Jar as well).

+1. Don't annoy your audience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.