post #31 of 48 Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Ok are you sure about that. That's great and indeed maybe good karma but you better not be one those jerks that nose dive your car in there out of nowhere when some ones who's been patiently waiting for the spot to open up. Those are the worst *******s and deserve their tires to be slashed
Whoa there young lady....biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

For the record, I hated "E.T." Still do. Don't even consider it sci-fi.
I haven't seen it in forever, but I do have the BD sitting on a shelf.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 05-05-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

...in there out of nowhere when some ones who's been patiently waiting for the spot to open up.

well that depends, threeso...wait are we still talking about sex?

wink.gif
post #33 of 48 Old 05-08-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Just saw this thread and I'm pretty surprised. I have been a Spielberg critic for a long time for the exact reason set forth in this thread, sentimentality. I also hate the "logic be damned" crowd pleasing portions of his movies (see T-Rex showing up stealthily in JP to save the day after shaking the earth previously). However, I found Lincoln to be the first movie that I've seen from Spielberg that I wouldn't have guessed the director from the movie.

I find it ironic that Scott declares, in the Argo thread, that that movie deserved the best picture award when it was all about creating false impressions and phony drama. This award will one day be looked back on as another huge Oscar gaffe.

Lincoln was not boring and is one of the few movies that concentrates on an event and allows the characters to talk and express ideas. I loved the language in the movie. The biggest moments are expressions of ideas and words: Lincoln at the table with his cabinet, Mary Todd Lincoln confronting Thadeus Stevens. Thadeus Stevens destroying enemies in the House of Representatives. I thought the movie was brave in that it showed the House of Representatives for what it was (and still is?), a bunch of amateur politicians who could be easily bought, duped, or swayed.

So Spielberg could use an editor to stop him from adding prologues like in Schindler's List and the death of Lincoln wasn't exactly needed (even I didn't find it sentimental), it was not necessary. But perhaps we didn't need to see the Titanic sink because we pretty much knew that was going to happen.

One of my main complaints in Spielberg's movies is that he doesn't allow acting. Most of the actors have to do reaction shots to green screens. Every once in a while, an actor transcends the work such as Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List (another huge Oscar gaffe not rewarding that performance). Lincoln had great performances in it from top to bottom and truly is an actor's movie -- which I have never seen from Spielberg before. I would like to say that Spielberg is getting better and better but I watched some of War Horse on satellite and that movie is everything I hate about Spielberg so maybe Lincoln is the exception.

Now this is a forum where many of the posters only care about how a movie's explosions sound in their home theater so maybe it isn't the best place for me to defend this particular quiet movie but there are a lot of posters (the OP especially) who seem to give careful consideration to all aspects of movies. So color me surprised.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #34 of 48 Old 05-14-2013, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Just saw this thread and I'm pretty surprised. I have been a Spielberg critic for a long time for the exact reason set forth in this thread, sentimentality. I also hate the "logic be damned" crowd pleasing portions of his movies (see T-Rex showing up stealthily in JP to save the day after shaking the earth previously).
I tend to think of JP1 as a big popcorn SFX Monster Movie, and it works on that level for me.

Quote:
I find it ironic that Scott declares, in the Argo thread, that that movie deserved the best picture award when it was all about creating false impressions and phony drama.
Its "phony drama" didn't bother me at all....it's an honest movie.
Argo doesn't go for the cheap audience-manipulating emotions (unlike Lincoln) and, if nothing else, I appreciate it for that.

Quote:
I thought the movie was brave in that it showed the House of Representatives for what it was (and still is?), a bunch of amateur politicians who could be easily bought, duped, or swayed.
Some things have remained consistent in American history...biggrin.gif

Quote:
there are a lot of posters (the OP especially) who seem to give careful consideration to all aspects of movies. So color me surprised.
I don't mind sentimentality in my movies....far from it.
Some of my favs are very sentimental.
But it has to work within the drama on-screen....it has to have integrity and not play to the LCD.

Sadly, SS can hardly bring himself to make a non-schmaltzy film anymore.

post #35 of 48 Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I find it ironic that Scott declares, in the Argo thread, that that movie deserved the best picture award when it was all about creating false impressions and phony drama. This award will one day be looked back on as another huge Oscar gaffe.

The movie followed the actual events very closely. The photo op through town, and the helter-skelter at the airport, were the only two things that I can think of that deviated from the actual events. For there to be so few embellishments, is a major accomplishment when it comes to “factual” movie making.
post #36 of 48 Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

The movie followed the actual events very closely. The photo op through town, and the helter-skelter at the airport, were the only two things that I can think of that deviated from the actual events. For there to be so few embellishments, is a major accomplishment when it comes to “factual” movie making.
Yes, there was some "embellishments."
However, they weren't of the insulting variety we often see in movies based on a true story.

Of course, YMMV.wink.gif

post #37 of 48 Old 05-15-2013, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Spielberg always had one great strength, the ability to create pure movie magic. But in recent years he has lost his touch, or maybe its just that the scripts is not there. The classic 3 act screenplays.
post #38 of 48 Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Spielberg always had one great strength, the ability to create pure movie magic. But in recent years he has lost his touch, or maybe its just that the scripts is not there. The classic 3 act screenplays.
Well said.

post #39 of 48 Old 05-15-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

I can't not agree with this.

He always seemed to be able to bring out the wonder of being in a kid, in his movies. Nowadays, not so much. His movies now just seem to be........regular movies.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #40 of 48 Old 05-15-2013, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

I can't not agree with this.

He always seemed to be able to bring out the wonder of being in a kid, in his movies. Nowadays, not so much. His movies now just seem to be........regular movies.

I think Spielberg's just been 'over-reaching' lately desperatly trying to re-capture that old magic, but obviously falling painfully short (like with 'War Horse' and 'Lincoln').
Trying too hard maybe?
Because that's always a sure-fire way to screw things up!

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #41 of 48 Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I think I know the problem. Early in his career he was doing mostly stuff that "he thinks" the masses will enjoy and aim for ticket sales. Now that he's gone full circle, accomplished everything and won every award, reaching the twilight of his career...his doing the films that "he wants" do do vs what the audience likes.
post #42 of 48 Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think I know the problem. Early in his career he was doing mostly stuff that "he thinks" the masses will enjoy and aim for ticket sales. Now that he's gone full circle, accomplished everything and won every award, reaching the twilight of his career...his doing the films that "he wants" do do vs what the audience likes.
Hmmm, I thought it was the other way around.confused.gif

post #43 of 48 Old 05-16-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Noe...,.look at his early films they were appealed to everyone esp the family in mind...Jaws, ET, Indiana Jones, A.I., Jurassic park, Minority report. Then finally after all that box office records he was content and he said Schindler's list was the movie he wanted to make for himself like some personal statement.

I think every Dir starts out this way. They're insecure and need to prove themselves to the studios that they can make successful films then after they do that like Spielberg & Eastwood they start to make personal films close the heart which unfortunately not alwasy very entertaining. Same with Eastwood , this last films like Letters from Iwo Jima, Flags of our fathers, J edgar Cmon all boring snooze fest. You can say the same with Mel Gibson, he would never make passion of the Christ 1st beforehand,.. he won Oscar and proven with Braveheart. That passion of Christ also his personal film.
post #44 of 48 Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Just found this interesting thread and decided to post in order to (1) say some positive things about Lincoln and (2) defend Spielberg's legacy.

I thought that Lincoln was a beautifully written and brilliantly acted exposition of the way in which the clever and devious Lincoln got his fractious cabinet to support and a sharply divided Congress to submit to the states for ratification the 14th Amendment freeing all slaves. He did all of that in the midst of a civil war. Some artistic license was taken but the basic facts support the story that Lincoln tells.

Spielberg directed two great films, Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List, which many film historians hold to be the greatest film ever made. Several other Spielberg films are also generally highly regarded. I agree, though, that Spielberg is sometimes excessively sentimental, which has resulted in films, mentioned by others in earlier post, that were mediocre. Still, I think it is abundantly clear that Spielberg will go down in movie history as one of the greatest directors.
post #45 of 48 Old 05-17-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Forgot to mention in my last post that when I saw a poster's criticism of the ending of Saving Private Ryan, saying lives were saved in a "Calvary to the rescue at the last moment!" ending!" When I saw that, a mental image flashed before my eyes of Christ descending from his cross, perhaps followed by a few Centurions, and soundly thrashing those dirty Nazis!smile.gif
post #46 of 48 Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Forgot to mention in my last post that when I saw a poster's criticism of the ending of Saving Private Ryan, saying lives were saved in a "Calvary to the rescue at the last moment!" ending!" When I saw that, a mental image flashed before my eyes of Christ descending from his cross, perhaps followed by a few Centurions, and soundly thrashing those dirty Nazis!smile.gif
Starting a little early on the weekend?biggrin.gif

post #47 of 48 Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Starting a little early on the weekend?biggrin.gif

Who started early on the weekend, the OP, who conflated "calvary" for "cavalry. or me for having dreamed up a biblical fantasy?smile.gif
post #48 of 48 Old 05-18-2013, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Who started early on the weekend, the OP, who conflated "calvary" for "cavalry. or me for having dreamed up a biblical fantasy?smile.gif
Both?tongue.gif

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion