Iron Man 3 is a disappointment (SPOILER ALERT !!! ) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 66 Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This topic is for people who have seen this movie.

I was looking forward to seeing this movie and I left the theater feeling that they did a bad job with this movie.

1. The worst part of the movie is the character Mandarin. First, Mandarin is supposed to look Asian. He is supposed to be half Chinese and half English and he should look more Asian. In the movie, he looks and portrayed more like a Middle Eastern terrorist. Even the word "Mandarin" suggests an Asian subject. He also has 10 special "magical" rings but the movie did not use such idea. Then they stab every comic fan's heart and portrait the Madarin as a wimpy actor. Ridiculous!!!!!!! This is like making Lex Luthor in a Superman film as a villain who is an actor with a 70 I.Q who is being controlled by Braniac. In summary, they should not use the name "Mandarin" and should just use the name like "Bin Looney" or other Middle Easter terrorist name for such a character.

2. The Iron Man suit is weak in this movie. It breaks too easily and is not too "invincible". Also, too many Iron Man suits make the original less significant.

3. The end credit is nothing special and it does not depict any hints to the upcoming Avengers 2 movie.

4. Why does the suit needs to be recharged? Isn't it being powered by that device in Tony's chest?

5. What is up with blowing up all the Iron Man clones in the end just to show some fireworks for Pepper? What a waste of resources.

There are many other disappointments but I will stop here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 05-04-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Ok first let me say that I'm trying to find ways to fully like this movie. I applaud the producers taking a risk with the direction of Stark by taking him out of his comfort zone and allowing the ability to show that Stark IS Iron Man. As humorous as it was I did feel they went a little too far with the kid buddy thing because it opened up too many questions and curiosities about this kids story. And they tried a little too hard to keep Stark well, Stark evidenced by the fact that they still gave him an Audi to drive in Tennessee.

At first the new suit breaking apart didnt bother me and in fact made complete sense considering the technology and phase of development. But then it just got old particularly considering his older Marks from previous movies didn't seem to have that problem to the same degree.

This gets to what's probably my biggest issue with the movie. The typical Hollywood "more is better" for the 3rd movie mindset. While a lot better, IMO, than other 3rd movies, I still felt like too much was going on. In fact, now that I think about it I feel like this could have been two movies built around the same concept. The first could have been more investigative portion of the story including establishing a bit more backstory to the Extremis line and developing the Mandarin more. And the second movie could have concluded with the fully developed concept ending as we saw in IM3.

However, and this is the main reason I jumped on this thread....I read a lot about people simply blasting this movie and was cuious as to why no one was more specific. I later learned to limited degree that they didnt like what was done with the Mandarin. After watching it play out last night I really see why. It totally changed the texture of the movie giving it almost a spoof feel to everything. And they really got you by using the talents of Sir Ben Kingsly! I expected Kingsly's Mandarin to develop in some strange way but what they did wasn't even remotely close to anything I thought it would be. So I got past that and got to acceptance that they changed the Mandarin character altogether and got back into the story. I say all of that to set this up....

After the movie my wife made one simple statement. "I think he's faking." meaning Kingsly's Mandarin. I first looked at her like she was crazy until she recalled Aldrich asking "Mandarin" (forgot his real name already) "Why didn't you push the panic button?" and he replied "I did, then I had it under control" or something like that. Then I really started asking myself why have a quality like Kingsly in IM3 to play this kind of role? I mean he showed why he's one of the best around but it was so "beneath" him so to speak. Unless of course....he really is the Mandarin playing an even more twisted ploy. After all, he didnt die and they showed him only being arrested.

Marvel calls this movie the start of Phase 2, which really makes this a plausible concept for the future Marvel movies. What do you guys think?
post #3 of 66 Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Let me add...one of the "rings" dd allow for mind contol, which was a recurring question I had for many if the baddies in IM3.
post #4 of 66 Old 05-04-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancomycin View Post

You do have a lot of valid pts and they sound similar to what I would find issues with. Still a lot of folks love it and equally some like yourself that loathe it. Like I said there seems to be no middle ground here, you either love it or hate it. But damn the only opinion I care about is "me" so I'm still hoping for the best and just have to wait for the dvd and find out. But I respect the guts you have for putting this out there and summarizing up.
post #5 of 66 Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I was looking forward to seeing this movie and I left the theater feeling that they did a bad job with this movie.

1. The worst part of the movie is the character Mandarin. First, Mandarin is supposed to look Asian. He is supposed to be half Chinese and half English and he should look more Asian. In the movie, he looks and portrayed more like a Middle Eastern terrorist. Even the word "Mandarin" suggests an Asian subject. He also has 10 special "magical" rings but the movie did not use such idea. Then they stab every comic fan's heart and portrait the Madarin as a wimpy actor. Ridiculous!!!!!!! This is like making Lex Luthor in a Superman film as a villain who is an actor with a 70 I.Q who is being controlled by Braniac. In summary, they should not use the name "Mandarin" and should just use the name like "Bin Looney" or other Middle Easter terrorist name for such a character.

2. The Iron Man suit is weak in this movie. It breaks too easily and is not too "invincible". Also, too many Iron Man suits make the original less significant.

3. The end credit is nothing special and it does not depict any hints to the upcoming Avengers 2 movie.

4. Why does the suit needs to be recharged? Isn't it being powered by that device in Tony's chest?

5. What is up with blowing up all the Iron Man clones in the end just to show some fireworks for Pepper? What a waste of resources.

1. Now imagine that you've never read the comics...it's hard I know--I have the same trouble with the other comic book movies that I do know a little about. I was just lucky that I was never interested in Iron Man until the movies, and I've never read any of his comic books. Because of my "good fortune", the scene where they reveal The "Mandarin", was pretty darn funny, instead of disappointing.

2. I think that was the "gag" of this movie--his main set of armor was comic relief, and the others were pretty much disposable (operation clean slate)...Tony was too withdrawn and suffering from the experience in New York...pouring all his time into crafting suit after suit--pretty much creating his own drone army...with the impression that that's what it would take to protect Pepper and the world. He made them in all kinds of shapes and sizes, with an assortment of different accessories--none of them were Iron Man on their own--but even though his suits of armor were getting ripped to shreds, Tony Stark was still Iron Man. In fairness, after thinking about it for a while--they made these villains uniquely able to rip these suits to shreds with the unstable energy pulsing through them and whatnot, but in the end, the suits won...and I guess we can imagine that Stark is smart enough to engineer that particular vulnerability out of his future sets.

3. Yeah, it wasn't anything to have to sit through credits for.

4. The suits are also powered on their own...it's how Rhodes is able to be WarMachine, and Jarvis can fly 30 Iron Man suits and individual pieces to a boat. It's possible, and likely, that Tony's chest reactor enhances the power to a set of armor...it's main function though was to keep shrapnel out of his heart.

5. It was a gesture--or so the movie says--I'm with you though, those were probably billion dollar sets of armor he was blowing up. We're suppose to look at it like he's done obsessing, and now understands that being Iron Man isn't about just putting on indestructible armor. I'm sure he's creating another set though lol
raaj and dmarqueset like this.

thread closed
post #6 of 66 Old 05-04-2013, 08:43 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

After the movie my wife made one simple statement. "I think he's faking." meaning Kingsly's Mandarin. I first looked at her like she was crazy until she recalled Aldrich asking "Mandarin" (forgot his real name already) "Why didn't you push the panic button?" and he replied "I did, then I had it under control" or something like that. Then I really started asking myself why have a quality like Kingsly in IM3 to play this kind of role? I mean he showed why he's one of the best around but it was so "beneath" him so to speak. Unless of course....he really is the Mandarin playing an even more twisted ploy. After all, he didnt die and they showed him only being arrested.

Marvel calls this movie the start of Phase 2, which really makes this a plausible concept for the future Marvel movies. What do you guys think?

Thats a good point, curious to see if something does happen.

A question
Why didn't RDJ remove the bits in his chest in number one ? he could of been rushed straight to hospital and have the bits removed off his chest. But now he decided to do it at the end of 3? I believe that what purposely done due to the fact no contract was signed?

Never read the comics but did he have that ever removed in the comics?

Frank

post #7 of 66 Old 05-04-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I would only agree with number 5 on your list.

I thought the Mandarin twist was absolutely wonderful, but I'm not a comic book fiend...

Robert Clark
post #8 of 66 Old 05-04-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

1. Now imagine that you've never read the comics...it's hard I know--I have the same trouble with the other comic book movies that I do know a little about. I was just lucky that I was never interested in Iron Man until the movies, and I've never read any of his comic books. Because of my "good fortune", the scene where they reveal The "Mandarin", was pretty darn funny, instead of disappointing.

2. I think that was the "gag" of this movie--his main set of armor was comic relief, and the others were pretty much disposable (operation clean slate)...Tony was too withdrawn and suffering from the experience in New York...pouring all his time into crafting suit after suit--pretty much creating his own drone army...with the impression that that's what it would take to protect Pepper and the world. He made them in all kinds of shapes and sizes, with an assortment of different accessories--none of them were Iron Man on their own--but even though his suits of armor were getting ripped to shreds, Tony Stark was still Iron Man. In fairness, after thinking about it for a while--they made these villains uniquely able to rip these suits to shreds with the unstable energy pulsing through them and whatnot, but in the end, the suits won...and I guess we can imagine that Stark is smart enough to engineer that particular vulnerability out of his future sets.

3. Yeah, it wasn't anything to have to sit through credits for.

4. The suits are also powered on their own...it's how Rhodes is able to be WarMachine, and Jarvis can fly 30 Iron Man suits and individual pieces to a boat. It's possible, and likely, that Tony's chest reactor enhances the power to a set of armor...it's main function though was to keep shrapnel out of his heart.

5. It was a gesture--or so the movie says--I'm with you though, those were probably billion dollar sets of armor he was blowing up. We're suppose to look at it like he's done obsessing, and now understands that being Iron Man isn't about just putting on indestructible armor. I'm sure he's creating another set though lol
Absolutely spot on matches my take on the movie. I guess having read the comics before might be a bad thing with this movie.

I too thought Mandarin was playing Stark with his act as a drugged out actor, but I think they pretty much closed the arc on that possibility by totally making Aldridge take on the evil mastermind role, and the Mandarin quietly walks into the courtroom (?) without any further hints like a fleeting evil smug look on his face hinting that there might be more than meets the eye. They spent way too much time playing the Mandarin as no more than a bumbling idiot, without a hint of something to the contrary. His line about the panic button was more like a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar trying to bluff that he was in fact just rearranging the cookies neatly in the jar. smile.gif

If they bring back the Mandarin as the super villain again in a later Iron Man or Avengers installment, it would absolutely feel cheap to people who haven't read the comics. I'd consider the Mandarin's case pretty much done and dusted.
post #9 of 66 Old 05-04-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Another question I have abut the Mandarin, he supposedly had a substance problem. All those stoned people in there with him but he wasn't?
post #10 of 66 Old 05-04-2013, 09:19 PM
CIH USER

So what was your thoughts on the film closet geek ?

Frank

post #11 of 66 Old 05-04-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Saw it today and thought it was a noisy mess. I'm not a comic book fan so I don't know about Ironman almost at all other than the movies. I think that all of the Ironman movies have been pretty mediocre and are basically saved by the acting of RDJ and GP. Ironman 3's big problem for me was the motivation of Killian. Didn't make sense to me. The rest of it was a bunch of nonsense, running around etc. Don't get me started on the tech and how Stark could suddenly summon all of his suits (any reason he didn't do that earlier -- like when his house was being attacked?) and where the tech just serves as plot devices.The changes to the people seemed ridiculous as a plot device and pretty hard to accept even in a fantasy universe. So, this was annoying in ways yet I still like RDJ. Not sure where they go from there..

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #12 of 66 Old 05-05-2013, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Absolutely spot on matches my take on the movie. I guess having read the comics before might be a bad thing with this movie.

I too thought Mandarin was playing Stark with his act as a drugged out actor, but I think they pretty much closed the arc on that possibility by totally making Aldridge take on the evil mastermind role, and the Mandarin quietly walks into the courtroom (?) without any further hints like a fleeting evil smug look on his face hinting that there might be more than meets the eye. They spent way too much time playing the Mandarin as no more than a bumbling idiot, without a hint of something to the contrary. His line about the panic button was more like a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar trying to bluff that he was in fact just rearranging the cookies neatly in the jar. smile.gif

If they bring back the Mandarin as the super villain again in a later Iron Man or Avengers installment, it would absolutely feel cheap to people who haven't read the comics. I'd consider the Mandarin's case pretty much done and dusted.
What??? ok make up your mind. Over at the main IM3 board you said you loved it and thought it was way better than IM 2...can't have your cake and eat it too and jump back n forth.
post #13 of 66 Old 05-05-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

So what was your thoughts on the film closet geek ?

In general I thought it was good but I feel if they had done more character development and made it two movies I could have been a great movie. The twist was so extreme it completely pulled me out of the movie for about 10 minutes. It's so strange because I'm not prepared (yet) to say I hated it only because of the quality of the performance. I actually laugh that I was so fooled! Starks scenes with his little buddy kind of pulled me out too but mainly because the more they interacted the more questions I had about the kid and his backstory. Wnen its just kids and no adults are around for a lengthy period it just doesnt work for me. Again, a possible fix in a two movie situation. I also kept asking myself, why are the Extremis baddies doing this? Are they just motivated? Are they forced? Controlled? It was almost like watching the next generation Terminator or something. And frankly, I kind of just wish they'd stick with one suit.

That being said, as I stated I thought it was just a good movie. They took a risk to a degree which kept me engaged to see where they were gonna go. RDJ was great as usual. SPFX top notch as usual. The Avengers I felt compelled to go back and see at least one more time. IM3 I'm satisfied with the one viewing and content to wait for Blu. Also, I went 2D not 3D.

The big thing that I guess keeps me kind of in the middle is I'm really thinking thru the whole Mandarin thing. I'm just not sure what's really happening with that and it's kind of "keeping the movie going" for me.
post #14 of 66 Old 05-05-2013, 06:38 AM
CIH USER

Is RDJ signing on for anymore ?

Frank

post #15 of 66 Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

The big thing that I guess keeps me kind of in the middle is I'm really thinking thru the whole Mandarin thing. I'm just not sure what's really happening with that and it's kind of "keeping the movie going" for me.

Well lets hope so. I was annoyed in why he had too fix himself at the end. The thing in his chest is what made him special. Why didnt he remove in Iron man 1 when he arrived home after eating his cheeseburger or Iron man 2 ( especially 2 as it causing him trouble )?

Frank

post #16 of 66 Old 05-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I saw it last week in 3D IN THE CINEMA
The 3d wasnt good and not natural looking
the film was over the top and lost the feel of the 1st 2
I thought 1 & 2 were far better

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #17 of 66 Old 05-05-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

What??? ok make up your mind. Over at the main IM3 board you said you loved it and thought it was way better than IM 2...can't have your cake and eat it too and jump back n forth.
There is no contradicting opinion from me on this movie. You did not get the point I was making, which is that the twist about the Mandarin is as it was shown and concluded in the movie. I don't think the Mandarin was playing stupid to get away and i think there is no comeback for the Mandarin character in the future Marvel movies.

I still maintain that this is an absolute blast of a movie, and IMO is almost the equal of the original Iron Man movie. In fact my first impression of the movie was just as effusive, if not more so than after I saw The Avengers.
post #18 of 66 Old 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Most of these type movies never do the comic book justice. Combine that with this being the third installment, my expectations were pretty low. I enjoyed the movie but like someone said earlier, it is not a good 3D movie. The 3D element didn't add anything to the movie in my opinion. The explosions looked 2D and they missed several opportunities to "wow" the audience. (I'm thinking of the Air Force One scene as an example.)
post #19 of 66 Old 05-05-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 487
I post here to defend Iron Man 3. I saw it on Friday and thought it was delightful, 9 Stars out of 10. But what do I know? After all, it's only on track to have the second highest first weekend boxoffice in history and only about 80 percent of the reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes were positive.smile.gif
post #20 of 66 Old 05-05-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I post here to defend Iron Man 3. I saw it on Friday and thought it was delightful, 9 Stars out of 10. But what do I know? After all, it's only on track to have the second highest first weekend boxoffice in history and only about 80 percent of the reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes were positive.smile.gif

I'm with you. The movie is anything but a disappointement.
post #21 of 66 Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have we watched the same movie? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I'm sure you've noticed the Mandarin is in fact Killian right? How many times did Marvel change his story in the comics? Some of his comic book incarnations even suggest that the guy never actually existed! So as far as "how he is supposed to look", I don't care if he's asian or from Kentucky, he's a mastermind powerful enough to threaten Tony Stark, which Killian precisely is.
Quote:

Well mark 42 isn't complete. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The end of the movie suggest that a few other suits were not that weak wink.gif

Quote:

What's wrong with that? it would tend to become a little formulaic otherwise no? It might be nothing special but it's funny. The Avengers' end credits scene was really nothing special either (the second one that is).
Quote:

Yes but what happens when the suit doesn't need Tony Stark to be in it?
Quote:

What's more important for a billionaire with unlimited funds like Tony Stark? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
his suits which he can build, fix or rebuild whenever he wants, or Pepper?... Pepper is not replaceable or disposable, but the suits are.
post #22 of 66 Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Continuing thoughts....

Killian as the "real" Mandarin at least addressed the concept of the Mandarin character regardless of whether it was the guy in the comics or not. So I can't really say the worst part of the movie was the Mandarin. They kept the character name, there was history between he and Iron Man (which was the case with Killian) and he was a formidable opponent to Iron Man (which was true for Killian). So there were some core things that I felt were consistent with what made The Mandarin; however, I do feel the movie character was under developed. This is a huge reason why I said this could have been two films. There was more time spent building the "fake" Mandarin story than the Killian Mandarin story, which left things a little unsatisfying. But then again, this is also why I question whether Kingsly's Mandarin was faking.

Something that's being pieced together the way Mark 42 was particularly in the prototype stages of development is likely to break apart somewhat easily IMO. Nowhere to go with that really.

Supposedly with Tony saying to Pepper "I can fix that" meaning the Extremis injection, and actually doing so allowed him the knowledge/technology, whatever to remove the shrapnel from around his heart. It's not as if the arc reactor technology no longer exists, which means the Iron Man tech remains. Also, we should keep in mind that this is the third installment, which usually means the last installment and they wanted to present a nice clean(ish) closing just in case RDJ doesn't come back or future movies aren't possible or don't work the way they expect. They can say with the Iron Man "trilogy" there is an all's well that ends well feel to it.

The after credits scene...some are disappointed even in that, which I don't understand. First off, it made sense because Tony was in a sense narrating IM3 so from my perspective he was doing so to Bruce Banner. Secondly, at the end of the Avengers, you saw them drive off together indicating the establishment of a relationship between the two so it was good to see the continuance of that particularly given the fan appeal that Ruffalo has developed. I thought it was great and thought it was relevant. And lastly.....I hate to open this door up but......

From a sense of consistency with the Marvel coda's and how they always tease future movies it does beg the question, why didn't they do it this time? To totally put a different spin on the WHOLE movie....what if Iron Man 3 never happened? What if it was an entire dream sequence so to speak based on what we saw between Stark and Banner during the coda? The big question everyone had was why not call the Avengers to help? Perhaps in a "dream" he wouldn't because dreams are weird like that. And during the Coda, Tony never stated anything in such a way to indicate that the events of IM3 really happened. Now that I'm typing myself through it....what if it was Banner's dream? ;What if the "teaser" was that Banner/Hulk is still in the picture and something is coming along those lines? wink.gif
post #23 of 66 Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Have we watched the same movie? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I'm sure you've noticed the Mandarin is in fact Killian right? How many times did Marvel change his story in the comics? Some of his comic book incarnations even suggest that the guy never actually existed! So as far as "how he is supposed to look", I don't care if he's asian or from Kentucky, he's a mastermind powerful enough to threaten Tony Stark, which Killian precisely is.
Well mark 42 isn't complete. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The end of the movie suggest that a few other suits were not that weak wink.gif
What's wrong with that? it would tend to become a little formulaic otherwise no? It might be nothing special but it's funny. The Avengers' end credits scene was really nothing special either (the second one that is).
Yes but what happens when the suit doesn't need Tony Stark to be in it?
What's more important for a billionaire with unlimited funds like Tony Stark? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
his suits which he can build, fix or rebuild whenever he wants, or Pepper?... Pepper is not replaceable or disposable, but the suits are.

And then there is this guy. The one who has to refute every point because he liked the movie.

The movie was all over the map. How did stark get a car in tennessee yet stayed in a garage? Who was the kid? Why save the suits for the end of the movie?
post #24 of 66 Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 487
I thought Ben Kingsley was terrific in Iron Man 3. Although I thought his portrayal of the Mandarin was painfully actorish, that all got explained in the Big Reveal
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
when we see Kingsley in his drugged out Z squad actor persona. Whether that was the "real" character or just a feint to keep Stark guessing leaves me guessing too.

At the end of the day, I loved Ben Kingsley's performance and hope we see him again somewhere in the Marvelverse.
post #25 of 66 Old 05-06-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

And then there is this guy. The one who has to refute every point because he liked the movie.

The movie was all over the map. How did stark get a car in tennessee yet stayed in a garage? Who was the kid? Why save the suits for the end of the movie?

The car he took from the Extremis baddie; although, I thought it was pressing that it just happened to be another Audi.

The kid...I got nothing...that was one of my issues with the movie. It's one thing for Tony to bump into the kid so to speak but something else to make him an integral part of the story without giving him more development. Again, this should have been two movies.

The suits at the end of the movie? Yeah, really got nothing there either unless it was a case that they were still "in development" somehow, which doesn't really work for me at this point. Then again, maybe Tony was saving them for when he knew he'd really need them after fully exposing the Mandarin. Part of his overall plan kind of thing? Yeah, I'm reaching with that one but thought I'd put it out there anyway. biggrin.gif
post #26 of 66 Old 05-06-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah we're lucky there were just 5 points to refute otherwise I would have spent my whole day on it huh? rolleyes.gif

And by the way, that's not because I liked the movie. I only think these "points" are not really valid to criticize the film. I'm not here to defend the film at all costs. See I was a bit surprised to see the black Audi too, but I guess it's part of their deal with Marvel!

"who was the kid"? who cares? he's just the smart kid who crosses path with Tony. He helps him but it's not like he's the second most important character of the film either.
post #27 of 66 Old 05-06-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As someone else already answered, the car (Audi) was from one of the AIM bad guys. Does it matter who the kid was? Why does he need to have a developed back story? As someone has already mentioned, it was a storytelling construct to present the story arc that Tony gets reminded in his moment of despair (after the attack on his house) that "he built the Iron Man once, he can just build it again". Not sure what the hang up here is for all the complainers. Stark stayed (?) or worked in a garage to avoid the media circus from preventing him from working out a come back plan.

At the point of attack on the Malibu house, Stark was still under the illusion that the Mandarin was a lowly terrorist hiding out and carrying out attacks outside the US mainland. He never expected the Mandarin to have the wherewithal to launch a full scale air-raid-style bombing campaign in the middle of Malibu. He might have decided that he could take care of the attacking helicopters with his Iron Man suit, after all, he fended off hundreds of inter-dimensional alien warriors just by himself in his Iron Man suit. You could see him taking out a bunch of choppers using just a couple of pieces of his suit. Given his ego, I don't think that Stark considered for a moment that he needed to bring out multiple Iron Man suits to deal with the attack. Makes perfect sense within the requirements of logic in a comic universe. We are not talking about Black Hawk Down, or Saving Private Ryan here to argue logical tactical decisions in an attack scenario. Stark brought out the full army of the drone suits when he realized the full extent of the severity of the threat, and understanding that he alone could not take out all the AIM baddies in that situation.
post #28 of 66 Old 05-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My concerns
1. How did they find Stark in Tenn so quickly?
2. What actual purpose is Iron Patriot/Warchmachine serving in these movies?
3. Was it me or were they really forcing Avengers references in this movie?
post #29 of 66 Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

A quick reminder to those that question why Tony didn't have another fully functioning suit delivered to him (I had forgotten this also)--but apparently the debris from his destroyed house was blocking their exit. Once the cranes arrived to clear the doors to the vault, Tony told Jarvis it was time for operation house party.

As for the car Tony got in TN--he took the keys after flattening the guy that held the kid hostage, and then drove to Florida.

thread closed
post #30 of 66 Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My concerns
1. How did they find Stark in Tenn so quickly?
2. What actual purpose is Iron Patriot/Warchmachine serving in these movies?
3. Was it me or were they really forcing Avengers references in this movie?

This thread is for spoilers, so no need to tag your posts.

The lady that bumped into Stark outside of the bar was an Extremis agent...they were there to retrieve a file, they weren't looking for Tony. Of course she recognized him, and the rest you know.

thread closed
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page