Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Well, it's probably a bit early, but it's now official:

"After grossing more than $700 million at the worldwide box office, it seemed like a sure thing Paramount and Skydance would set up another installment of the “Mission: Impossible” franchise and they have now made it official with Tom Cruise signing on to star and produce the fifth movie in the series.

Cruise would produce along with J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot, which produced the last two films. Deadline Hollywood broke the news."

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-5-1200466717/#!1/tom-cruise-and-actress-olga-kurylenko/

It seems unlikely that J.J Abrams would return to direct as he's gonna be busy on Tattoine, but I'd like Brad Bird to continue, considering what he did in Ghost Protocol... I'm a fan of Tom Cruise and this franchise, this is exciting news! cool.gif

Oh and please, rule #1 for this thread, no scientology talk thank you! This is about the movies... smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I second the excitement. I don't consider myself a Cruise fanboy but I am a fan of some things he's done my fave by far bring Mission Impossible.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
good. GP was pretty good after the horrible 2 and 3.
post #4 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

good. GP was pretty good after the horrible 2 and 3.

I thought 3 was pretty good, thanks, in part, to Philip Seymour Hoffman's delightful performance. And the fact that the film started to establish the new team as well with Benji...
post #5 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 110
1, 3 and 4 were fantastic, so I'm excited about this. I also hope Brad Bird returns. Love his direction in everything he's done.

David Budo
post #6 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 AM

Liked: 10
MI 2,3 and 4 were good action movies. They were horrible MI stories though. The first MI actually had a story. You didn't know what was going on until the end. Much smarter than the sequels. I hope they go back to telling a story and have a mystery to uncover. That's what made MI so great, the twists and turns. Never being able to put a finger on what exactly is happening. Action is great, just give me some reason to care about the story.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
3 is still the best of the bunch to me.
Followed by 4, then 1, then 2.

That said, Im excited for number 5 and hope they can follow the high standards they set in 3 and 4.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #8 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
I liked 3 and 4 but ENOUGH of the Ethan Hunt goes rogue stuff. Can we have a real IMF supported mission please?

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #9 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
No Brad Bird, he pretty much F'd up the last one...way too much freakin goofing and horse sing around esp that opening prison scene. Watch it again it's not only not funny but stupid. And Renner floating around in that chamber. It was like watching the 3 stooges. This is a action/adventure/suspense with humor sprinkled in there for good measure but over dosing on it ruins everything and you just can't take them seriously.

That said Cruise productions will no doubt pick a top flight director so I'm def looking forward who will helm the next one and bring it back on course. My prediction is it will have a Sci-Fi theme and Neil Blonkamp will be chosen..or maybe Jon Favreu or Zack Snyder all would be something I like too see.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I liked 3 and 4 but ENOUGH of the Ethan Hunt goes rogue stuff. Can we have a real IMF supported mission please?

Yeah, really.

Also, Bird probably won't return cuz I remember Cruise saying in some article or behind the scenes feature that the producers want a new director for every movie so that each one has it's own "style" or something to that effect. I forgot exactly where I saw that mentioned.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #11 of 15 Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSE501MKIV View Post

MI 2,3 and 4 were good action movies. They were horrible MI stories though. The first MI actually had a story. You didn't know what was going on until the end. Much smarter than the sequels. I hope they go back to telling a story and have a mystery to uncover. That's what made MI so great, the twists and turns. Never being able to put a finger on what exactly is happening. Action is great, just give me some reason to care about the story.

One of the things I like about the old tv show was, ultimately, the bad guy was out thought and hoisted on his own petard in some way. Sure there was action and technology, but at the end, the head baddie realizes he was tricked, Phelps drops his mask, the music cues up, and the MI team walks away.

Just another level of intelligence compared to Ethan Hunt throwing himself off a building or doing a free fall in a car and beating the heck out of himself. Those are fun, but I would like to see an ode to the tv show of out thinking, and manipulating the opponent, as well as just physical stuff.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #12 of 15 Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

One of the things I like about the old tv show was, ultimately, the bad guy was out thought and hoisted on his own petard in some way. Sure there was action and technology, but at the end, the head baddie realizes he was tricked, Phelps drops his mask, the music cues up, and the MI team walks away.

Just another level of intelligence compared to Ethan Hunt throwing himself off a building or doing a free fall in a car and beating the heck out of himself. Those are fun, but I would like to see an ode to the tv show of out thinking, and manipulating the opponent, as well as just physical stuff.

No argument but I just think doing it as cleanly as you describe is easier said than done in today's society. The sophistication of criminals is much higher than those days in large part due to technology. Since the end of the cold war it's all become a different type of storytelling.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

No argument but I just think doing it as cleanly as you describe is easier said than done in today's society. The sophistication of criminals is much higher than those days in large part due to technology. Since the end of the cold war it's all become a different type of storytelling.

Agree on both counts. The big draw of the original MI movie was the excellent storytelling that was as much about the intrigue and double-crossing required of spycraft, as it was about the fancy technology and stunts more required of an action movie. MI2 reduced the cerebral aspects of spycraft into mere "pulling off face masks and voice masking patches". As much as I love each installment of the franchise, I have a special fondness towards the first movie. Hopefully they can bring the series back to its roots with part 5.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

1, 3 and 4 were fantastic, so I'm excited about this. I also hope Brad Bird returns. Love his direction in everything he's done.

Im with you 1,3 and 4 is fantastic. Im looking forward to the next one.

Frank

post #15 of 15 Old 05-13-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

+1!

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page