Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 724
One of the greatest. Rest in peace.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/05/07/ray-harryhausen-stop-motion-animation-pioneer-dies-at-92/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Indeed. R.I.P Mr. Harryhausen.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #4 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Best skeletons ever.
Yup

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A big time bummer R.I.P
post #6 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I am going to watch Jason and the Argonauts Blu-ray with the Ray Harryhausen (with Tony Dalton) audio commentary on. The skeleton sequence alone is miraculous, and has more charm than virtually all of the CG special effects extravaganzas made in the last 30 years, IMHO.

Ray Harryhausen is as important to the history of cinema as any of the greats like Hitchcock, Chaplin, Griffith, Welles, Murnau, Kurosawa, Bergman, etc, etc... The debt owed this genius can never be repaid.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I had the honor to meet Mr. Harryhausen in 1977. He had some of his movie models with him. He was a gentleman and a great artist. RIP.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-08-2013, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 53
When Ray Harryhausen's stop motion animation characters enter a scene and do their thing, the effect still produces a gasp or another appropriate reaction in the audience, something CGI characters can't seem to do no matter how much money is thrown at the process. We will never see his like again. R.I.P., Harry.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #10 of 12 Old 05-08-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

I am going to watch Jason and the Argonauts Blu-ray with the Ray Harryhausen (with Tony Dalton) audio commentary on. The skeleton sequence alone is miraculous, and has more charm than virtually all of the CG special effects extravaganzas made in the last 30 years, IMHO.

+1,000,000

I came here to say the same thing. Hope to watch "Jason and the Argonauts" sometime in the next couple of days to pay tribute to the guy who scared me death as a kid. Godspeed to you, good sir.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #11 of 12 Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Ray Harryhausen is as important to the history of cinema as any of the greats like Hitchcock, Chaplin, Griffith, Welles, Murnau, Kurosawa, Bergman, etc, etc... The debt owed this genius can never be repaid.

In the Keanu Reeves hosted documentary on film vs digital, Side By Side, Martin Scorsese voices a concern that the digital/CGI approach loses something in translation because it isn't "real". Later, when Scorsese's concern is suggested to James Cameron, Cameron laughingly dismisses the whole idea of anything in the making of a movie being "real", thereby implying that CGI critters floating in cyberspace are every bit as "real" as those Ray Harryhausen models. Also, by logical extension, Cameron seems to believe the newer technology is, if anything, an obvious improvement on what we had before in terms of credibility, effectiveness and dramatic impact.

Except that it isn't. The Harryhausen creations were real things that existed (and many still exist) in the real world subject to weight, mass and gravity, regardless of how much smaller they actually are than depicted in the movies, and their movements were the result of the direct manipulation of the hand of Man. I believe the human brain can assess the difference between a moving image of something that actually exists in the real world in that way vs something floating in cyberspace in less than a nanosecond and appreciates the art and drama of the real thing in a very different way than the CGI thing. IMO, it is appreciated in a superior way for the purposes of drama. I also believe Cameron's laughing off the suggestion that there is anything more "real" about an actual built set, a sculpted model, or a human manipulated critter ignores a truth about Cameron's own work; the horror and suspense effect of the puppets and men in rubber suits in his own pre-CGI Aliens is far superior to this very day than anything depicted in his own CGI-generated Avatar.

Decades from now audiences will still be amazed and impressed, gasping at the entrance and action of a multitude of Ray Harryhausen critters while they will mostly yawn at next year's, not even last year's , CGI critters and action.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
He was pretty easy to see when I lived in SoCal a decade ago, and I saw him several times (including the triple threat of him, Ray Bradbury and Forry Ackerman once at the Egyptian, sadly now all departed). He provided lotsa good times back in the sixties, when he was at his peak, and Duel of the Titans earned him a lot of new admirers. RIP.

CW Hinkle
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page