Riddick - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
johnbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: london,ontario,canada
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
johnbr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-15-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 906
I'm in.smile.gif

Swine are good people too.
oink is online now  
Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Katee Sackhoff? Starbuck herself?? I am so in!
archiguy is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
billybobg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Francis Utah
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Riddick in chains. Monsters in the Dark. Bounty hunters. Deja Vu all over again???? I'm a fan, but I'm not sure on this.
billybobg is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Yes, really bummed that they waited this long to bring us absolutely nothing new. So I guess he decided not to keep what he killed and just bailed on the necro's? No epic follow up bout between him and Karl Urban or anything that suggests there was a 2nd Riddick movie. mad.gif lame

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

Riddick in chains. Monsters in the Dark. Bounty hunters. Deja Vu all over again???? I'm a fan, but I'm not sure on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Yes, really bummed that they waited this long to bring us absolutely nothing new. So I guess he decided not to keep what he killed and just bailed on the necro's? No epic follow up bout between him and Karl Urban or anything that suggests there was a 2nd Riddick movie. mad.gif lame
I think this is all about VD's lack of major stardom (the same thing that pushed him back to F&F).

He wanted to move away from the franchises and become a real player.
It didn't work out for him.

Swine are good people too.
oink is online now  
Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


I think this is all about VD's lack of major stardom (the same thing that pushed him back to F&F).

He wanted to move away from the franchises and become a real player.
It didn't work out for him.

Riddick has always been VD's little obsession. That and World of Warcraft apparently.

As far as I know Vins been doing all those crappy movies to fund buying the rights to this IP, along with Twohy, and here we are.


I think I saw a necro in that trailer, did I? I'm also wondering if some sort of coup comes into play, and our man Riddick gets dropped of on the same planet we saw him originally 10 years prior or so for round 2.
TyrantII is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lordcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas Area
Posts: 2,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Color me disappointed. I was hoping for a follow up to the last movie, in some fashion. But as was said before, this is just more of the same. And it doesn't even look like this is better more of the same. mad.gif

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

lordcloud is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Yes, really bummed that they waited this long to bring us absolutely nothing new. So I guess he decided not to keep what he killed and just bailed on the necro's? No epic follow up bout between him and Karl Urban or anything that suggests there was a 2nd Riddick movie. mad.gif lame

There was plans for a trilliogy, but when the studio made the final cut, ruined the movie, and it bombed, well, that was that. This is Twohy and VD trying to resurrect the franchise they now own. If it does well, you can get they'll be more and possible, eventually they'll finish what they started.
TyrantII is offline  
Old 05-17-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Riddick is basically a loner, anti-establishment; did anyone really think he'd hang around and be king over those morons? I'm certainly giving this a shot. If it's crap, I won't be picking up the BD.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is online now  
Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Matt_Stevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The studio agreed to do a film if it was more like PITCH BLACK and PG-13. Vin said R or nothing. So the budget was greatly reduced, he worked for free and we get a third film that is rated R.

As for "You keep what you kill..." Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Riddick gets so tired of constantly having to deal with necro's trying to kill him and take his throne that he says **** YOU and leaves.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Matt_Stevens is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoey67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: cloud9
Posts: 2,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 81
This film looks great I don't know what y'all bickering about. A lot of cool mean creatures. Looks a lot better than Pitch Black IMO which was such a dud when I got really excited about it back in 00 and actually saw it in the theater. I know it had quite a cult following and garnered much respect for Twohy but I just can't understand why. The film was drawn out and really wasn't all that entertaining to me but whatever... if you liked it great
zoey67 is offline  
Old 05-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
sog35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
look decent. Glad they trashed the whole Necro story. To epic for a Riddick movie to carry.
sog35 is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

they trashed the whole Necro story. To epic for a Riddick movie to carry.
Now that I think about it, you may be right.

Swine are good people too.
oink is online now  
Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thedeskE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

look decent. Glad they trashed the whole Necro story. To epic for a Riddick movie to carry.

Perhaps, but Twohy has always been an underdog when he directs. He gets respect for the
effort each time from me and many others.
thedeskE is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,229
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Def will be seeing this one!

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs,  PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 HTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Yamaha P2500s, & (3) Topping 25wpch T chip amps.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...t-theater.html
ellisr63 is online now  
Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
billybobg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Francis Utah
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This opened to split reviews. Slightly positive on RT. Seems a lot of critics were looking for something different and their reviews show dissapointment based on those expectations. The favorable reviews lean toward what I'm expecting. I'm not sure of my schedule this weekend. If time allows, I'm going to try and see this on the big screen.
billybobg is offline  
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
It was the return of the Anti-Hero...Riddick!
Don't want to give much away but it was a throw back to Pitch black (and that's a good thing).
I think they pushed the Necro story back but yes glad it was not in the fore front.
Wytchone is offline  
Old 09-09-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I saw it last friday... A bit too much CG landscapes and creatures (albeit kinda well done), but I'd say it's a satisfying entry in this franchise. There was clearly a good amount of practical effects as well so there's that. Sort of a "back to basics" approach compared to Chronicles of Riddick. I think it will be sucessful considering its small budget so I'm sure we have another sequel coming a few years from now. It won't become a classic but when they're done with this franchise, it won't certainly be the worst of the bunch. It has almost a Predator/Aliens vibe to it. Acting was fine considering we're not watching Hamlet, and for all you fans of the hottest girl thread (myself included of course biggrin.gif):

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
We get to see Starbuck's boobies!!!!!!! tongue.gifbiggrin.gif if that alone doesn't justify a ticket then I can't help you! wink.gif ...Speaking of Katee, she does a good job in the film too so hopefully she will appear in the next sequel...
Morpheo is online now  
Old 09-09-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
HUGE PET PEEVE. What is it with the trend in SCI-FI movies (small and big screen) that all tough capable women must be GLBT?
vilfrard likes this.
Wytchone is offline  
Old 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

HUGE PET PEEVE. What is it with the trend in SCI-FI movies (small and big screen) that all tough capable women must be GLBT?

If they weren't you'd have feminist groups complaining about objectification of women in a men's world - it's a conandrum! wink.gif

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
in the film, she seems open and adaptable though tongue.gif
vilfrard likes this.
Morpheo is online now  
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

If they weren't you'd have feminist groups complaining about objectification of women in a men's world - it's a conandrum! wink.gif

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
in the film, she seems open and adaptable though tongue.gif

In the movies, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
aren't they always?

Further enhancing the notion that "it's a man's world". wink.gif
vilfrard likes this.
archiguy is offline  
Old 09-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,655
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 1146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

HUGE PET PEEVE. What is it with the trend in SCI-FI movies (small and big screen) that all tough capable women must be GLBT?

Say what? George Lucas.... Bacon Tomato?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is online now  
Old 09-10-2013, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

This opened to split reviews. Slightly positive on RT. Seems a lot of critics were looking for something different and their reviews show dissapointment based on those expectations. The favorable reviews lean toward what I'm expecting. I'm not sure of my schedule this weekend. If time allows, I'm going to try and see this on the big screen.
Not sure what they were looking for, there has been a lot said over time about what was not going to be in it and what Diesel and Twohy were going to do.
Go, I think you'll like it.
vilfrard likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
tenthplanet is offline  
Old 09-10-2013, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I saw it last friday... A bit too much CG landscapes and creatures (albeit kinda well done), but I'd say it's a satisfying entry in this franchise. There was clearly a good amount of practical effects as well so there's that. Sort of a "back to basics" approach compared to Chronicles of Riddick. I think it will be sucessful considering its small budget so I'm sure we have another sequel coming a few years from now. It won't become a classic but when they're done with this franchise, it won't certainly be the worst of the bunch. It has almost a Predator/Aliens vibe to it. Acting was fine considering we're not watching Hamlet, and for all you fans of the hottest girl thread (myself included of course biggrin.gif):

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
We get to see Starbuck's boobies!!!!!!! tongue.gifbiggrin.gif if that alone doesn't justify a ticket then I can't help you! wink.gif ...Speaking of Katee, she does a good job in the film too so hopefully she will appear in the next sequel...
I'd say she could kick the ass of her previous character, or maybe shoot her than kick her ass. biggrin.gif
vilfrard likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
tenthplanet is offline  
Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,655
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 1146
Saw it last night. I loved it! Expected something like Pitch Black and that's what I got. Great performances all around and some awesome rated R violence.

Worth seeing imho.
vilfrard likes this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is online now  
Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Say what? George Lucas.... Bacon Tomato?
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Saw it last night. I loved it! Expected something like Pitch Black and that's what I got. Great performances all around and some awesome rated R violence.

Worth seeing imho.
I'll be seeing it sometime this week.

Unlike some others around here, I enjoyed the first 2 quite a bit.wink.gif
vilfrard likes this.

Swine are good people too.
oink is online now  
Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
billybobg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Francis Utah
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

LOL.
I'll be seeing it sometime this week.

Unlike some others around here, I enjoyed the first 2 quite a bit.wink.gif

I'm in the camp of liking both of the earlier entries, too. Riddick is a good character and VD plays him well.
vilfrard likes this.
billybobg is offline  
Old 09-10-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 785
You know, I definitely remember seeing the first one, it was quite distinctive - scary, and unsettling. But I can't remember if I saw the second one or not. confused.gif If I did, I guess it didn't make much of an impression on me.
archiguy is offline  
Old 09-10-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

You know, I definitely remember seeing the first one, it was quite distinctive - scary, and unsettling. But I can't remember if I saw the second one or not. confused.gif If I did, I guess it didn't make much of an impression on me.
Here ya go:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296572/?ref_=sr_1

Swine are good people too.
oink is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off