Before Midnight - May 24 in LA/Hollywood, NY, and Austin - 5/31starts rolling out elsewhere - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 05-16-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
First there was Before Sunrise (1995).

Then, nine years later, there was Before Sunset (2004).

And now after another nine years later, Before Midnight is coming to the screen: http://www.sonyclassics.com/beforemidnight/

Release dates: http://www.sonyclassics.com/beforemidnight/dates.html

A most interesting way to do a trilogy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-16-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I'm looking forward to it. The collaboration among Delpy, Hawk, and Linklater during their two previous films works really well if you're into thoughtful, introspective, talky films. I am.

I hear that some fans of the first two films are a little torn about a getting a third, as the second one ended so well. The fear seems to be that continuing the story other than in the viewer's imagination may render it into something that doesn't ring true. It risks becoming trite or banal. The end of the second left us with possibilities. It was romantic and hopeful without being cloying or sentimental, and without providing an overwrought Hollywood happily ever after ending. I hope the third resolves the romance between them in a satisfying way, whether it turns out good or bad or both and everything in between. Life is like that, and I think Linklater and his two principal collaborators in this film series (I believe Delpy and Hawk both got screenwriting credits in the second film) have respect enough for the integrity of the story, the characters, and the audience to recognize and acknowledge it. I don't think it's going to be all wine and roses, but I don't think it's going to be tragic either.

I see I'll have to wait until June 14. Not bad. I can wait a month.
post #3 of 32 Old 05-16-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
There are very few movies that I love, and bring nothing but good and warm memories. Sunset and Sunrise both are movies like that. I, for one, am nothing but enthused to see the third. If it ends up being not as good as the first two, oh well, the first two will sustain me. However, I'm thinking Midnight will be a worthy closing of the circle.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 32 Old 05-16-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I purposely have not read much of the reviews of the film, but I glanced at enough to see that it's getting very positive reviews in terms of being a great Part 3 of this story.
post #5 of 32 Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Watch Sunrise and Sunset the other day to get myself warmed up for next weekend. smile.gif

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
These are two of my favorite movies. But, once again, I have to express my disappointment at the continued trend towards serializing everything. Even if this movie is good, that will just encourage more of this kind of thing. I say, let it lie, and and do something new.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 32 Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't agree. This something they will clearly revisit every nine years until they stop making a profit on them. There is a small fanbase for these characters and we all enjoy seeing them. It's incredibly rare to have follow-ups to small little romantic dramas.

post #8 of 32 Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hopefully the release of Before Midnight will prompt the studio to put out all three films on Blu-ray. Netflix had the first 2 on HD streaming, which was a visible PQ improvement over the DVDs, even at the compression of HD streaming.
post #9 of 32 Old 05-20-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The DVD's are MPEG artifact city. Especially the first one. I have an HD airing of Before Sunset on DVHS (2.0 sound) but my hope is for a triple pack Blu-Ray this fall.

post #10 of 32 Old 05-20-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I don't agree. This something they will clearly revisit every nine years until they stop making a profit on them. There is a small fanbase for these characters and we all enjoy seeing them. It's incredibly rare to have follow-ups to small little romantic dramas.

It's not specifically these movies I have an issue with. Like I said, I love the first two. But, I can't be a hypocrite and only complain about the constant serialization of movies when I don't like them.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

post #11 of 32 Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There is no question Hollywood has a problem with originality. John Carter's failure is being blamed on it being "too original." That is absurd. But it reinforces their aversion to good original content.

Ironically, STAR TREK 2 is failing to ignite the box office this week.

post #12 of 32 Old 05-21-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:

There is no question Hollywood has a problem with originality. John Carter's failure is being blamed on it being "too original." That is absurd. But it reinforces their aversion to good original content.

+1! The problem with John Carter wasn't that it was "too original," it failed because it had a weak star and a weaker screenplay. Whoever the brain dead Hollywood guy who decided to cast Taylor Kitsch in the title role should never eat lunch in that town again.smile.gif
post #13 of 32 Old 05-23-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

+1! The problem with John Carter wasn't that it was "too original," it failed because it had a weak star and a weaker screenplay. Whoever the brain dead Hollywood guy who decided to cast Taylor Kitsch in the title role should never eat lunch in that town again.smile.gif

I'm not so sure it was an issue of casting him in the title role, because it would have been a spectacular movie, it would have been a brilliant move. The movie just wasn't good enough to support him in the starring role.

post #14 of 32 Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

I'm not so sure it was an issue of casting him in the title role, because it would have been a spectacular movie, it would have been a brilliant movie. The movie just wasn't good enough to support him in the starring role.

Yeah, that was why I said the John Carter screenplay was even weaker that the performance of its star. The greatest star in the world usually can't salvage a dud screenplay. See Meryl Streep's Oscar winning performance in The Iron Lady, which couldn't save a dud screenplay. If an Oscar winning performance by Streep can't save a mess like The Iron Lady, what can? No wonder actors are so insecure, they are slaves to the lines they are given to read.
post #15 of 32 Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, that was why I said the John Carter screenplay was even weaker that the performance of its star. The greatest star in the world usually can't salvage a dud screenplay. See Meryl Streep's Oscar winning performance in The Iron Lady, which couldn't save a dud screenplay. If an Oscar winning performance by Streep can't save a mess like The Iron Lady, what can? No wonder actors are so insecure, they are slaves to the lines they are given to read.

Yeah, but don't they usually get to read over those lines before they accept the role?

post #16 of 32 Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, but don't they usually get to read over those lines before they accept the role?

I don't know about that. Trying to assess the likely success of a film from just a screenplay would seem to me to be nearly impossible. After all, a movie is made up of myriad parts and trying to predict whether it will succeed or fail is one of life's big crap shoots. I think that's why so may $100 million plus films fail. In the case of The Iron Lady the appeal of a biopic about Margaret Thatcher was badly hurt by a screenplay that spent way too much time on imagined scenes of a mentally failing Thatcher's talks with her dead husband. Even Streep couldn't breathe life into that but when the film focused on the Iron Lady herself, Streep shone. Who's to know, though, whether an approach like that will work? It didn't work but the film still made money, so maybe instead of my saying it "failed,: I should have said it was "disappointing."
post #17 of 32 Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Iron Lady made a small profit. Barely. By the skin of its teeth. It should have been huge. Could have been huge. But wasn't. For reasons discussed here.

post #18 of 32 Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Iron Lady made a small profit. Barely. By the skin of its teeth. It should have been huge. Could have been huge. But wasn't. For reasons discussed here.

Were it up to me I would never give another directing gig to Phyllida Lloyd. Who would have believed that a film based on the life of one of the most colorful political figures of the 20th Century and starring Meryl Streep could turn out to be such a disappointment? Ms. Lloyd is not ready for prime time, it seems to me, in The Iron Lady Lloyd and her screenwriter, Abi Morgan, were trying to balance their feminist admiration for Margaret Thatcher's accomplishments against their Labour Party detestation of her policies. The result was a meandering mess, despite Streep's Oscar winning portrayal of Thatcher.
post #19 of 32 Old 05-27-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know about that. Trying to assess the likely success of a film from just a screenplay would seem to me to be nearly impossible. After all, a movie is made up of myriad parts and trying to predict whether it will succeed or fail is one of life's big crap shoots. I think that's why so may $100 million plus films fail. In the case of The Iron Lady the appeal of a biopic about Margaret Thatcher was badly hurt by a screenplay that spent way too much time on imagined scenes of a mentally failing Thatcher's talks with her dead husband. Even Streep couldn't breathe life into that but when the film focused on the Iron Lady herself, Streep shone. Who's to know, though, whether an approach like that will work? It didn't work but the film still made money, so maybe instead of my saying it "failed,: I should have said it was "disappointing."

I'm not talking about being able to judge whether a movie will do well, based on it's screenplay. I'm speaking more to being able to tell a good screenplay from a bad one, after you read it, before you accept a role. I shed no tears for actors who accept roles where the screenplay is horrible and then the movie fails.

post #20 of 32 Old 05-27-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not talking about being able to judge whether a movie will do well, based on it's screenplay. I'm speaking more to being able to tell a good screenplay from a bad one, after you read it, before you accept a role. I shed no tears for actors who accept roles where the screenplay is horrible and then the movie fails.

Fair enough. I suspect Streep misjudged the quality of the Iron Lady screenplay because of its many wonderful, historically based, scenes illuminating Margaret Thatcher's richly complex personality. Maybe this caused Streep to discount the silliness of the utterly fanciful scenes depicting an aged and infirm Thatcher having imagined conversations with her dead husband. That said, it's hard to make a case that Streep made a mistake in taking a role that won her another Oscar.
post #21 of 32 Old 05-28-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just saw BEFORE MIDNIGHT and it is as good as they are saying. It starts off slowly and methodically and it's different than the last two for reasons that will become instantly clearly once you see it.

This film contains the best fight I have ever seen on screen. Not action fight, obviously. But two people mad and going at it. It's riveting and funny and just damned fricking good.

post #22 of 32 Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Fair enough. I suspect Streep misjudged the quality of the Iron Lady screenplay because of its many wonderful, historically based, scenes illuminating Margaret Thatcher's richly complex personality. Maybe this caused Streep to discount the silliness of the utterly fanciful scenes depicting an aged and infirm Thatcher having imagined conversations with her dead husband. That said, it's hard to make a case that Streep made a mistake in taking a role that won her another Oscar.

Agreed.

post #23 of 32 Old 05-30-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just saw BEFORE MIDNIGHT and it is as good as they are saying. It starts off slowly and methodically and it's different than the last two for reasons that will become instantly clearly once you see it.

This film contains the best fight I have ever seen on screen. Not action fight, obviously. But two people mad and going at it. It's riveting and funny and just damned fricking good.

Can I wait to see this movie..............................................no, I cannot. Although I must.

post #24 of 32 Old 05-31-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Because of the good buzz Before Midnight has been getting, I have wished I could see the first two films again. Fortunately, Before Sunrise is going to be shown on cable tomorrow morning and I have setup my TiVo to record it. I wish I could see Before Sunset again too but it appears as if that isn't in the cards.
post #25 of 32 Old 05-31-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because of the good buzz Before Midnight has been getting, I have wished I could see the first two films again. Fortunately, Before Sunrise is going to be shown on cable tomorrow morning and I have setup my TiVo to record it. I wish I could see Before Sunset again too but it appears as if that isn't in the cards.

On which cable channel is Before Sunrise playing tomorrow morning?

I have Before Sunset on my DVR from over a year ago, and I was lucky enough to re-watch it about a month ago. I wish I could somehow let you borrow it.
post #26 of 32 Old 05-31-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:

Huh. Surprising they would show one without the other, considering they're piggybacking on this third installment.
post #27 of 32 Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I have Before Sunset on my DVR from over a year ago, and I was lucky enough to re-watch it about a month ago. I wish I could somehow let you borrow it.

Before Sunrise will be showing on the Indie HD network, which Cox OKC carries at Channel 804. It is to be run AT 5:15 AM CDT.
post #28 of 32 Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Were you able to find and record Before Sunrise? My TiVo recorded it as scheduled and I watched it earlier. By the way, I give Indie HD high marks for its PQ. Like all OTA and cable HD it fell far short of BD quality but it was still quite good.

Before Sunrise is a lovely little film. The then young, early 20s, Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy were wonderful as the star crossed lovers, Jesse and Celine. I really enjoyed seeing it again and am sorry I haven't been able to find and record Before Sunset too. I did, however, set up a Wishlist for Before Sunset on my TiVo. When and if it plays on an HD channel again my TiVo should record it.

Does anybody know when Before Midnight will open wide in the US? Despite an earnest effort to find when that might be, I have failed so far.
post #29 of 32 Old 06-01-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Were you able to find and record Before Sunrise? My TiVo recorded it as scheduled and I watched it earlier. By the way, I give Indie HD high marks for its PQ. Like all OTA and cable HD it fell far short of BD quality but it was still quite good.

Thanks, but no. I don't have Indie HD anymore. I've seen the film, but not lately.
Quote:
Does anybody know when Before Midnight will open wide in the US? Despite an earnest effort to find when that might be, I have failed so far.

June 14 for you and me and most of the country. Here's the link to release dates. (Pssst. It was in the OP).

http://www.sonyclassics.com/beforemidnight/dates.html
post #30 of 32 Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, but no. I don't have Indie HD anymore. I've seen the film, but not lately.
June 14 for you and me and most of the country. Here's the link to release dates. (Pssst. It was in the OP).

http://www.sonyclassics.com/beforemidnight/dates.html

Thanks! Unfortunately I didn't look at either of the pieces linked to by the OP, so didn't know when the film would open wide until you told me.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page