Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Alright...we get it ok just let go it already. Jezus flipping christ this is the Fast & Furious franchise and you're harping over & over about some stupid runway? are you sh7tting me here? then you might as well go back every film and pick it apart and every other action movie.

Btw get off your high horse ok. Don't tell us why the reason why the plane took off and remained 20ft off the ground without taking off? were you texting or wanking off? The furious crew had harpooned the plane in 3 places with those rocket spears and ANCHORED THE WINGS AND HELD THE PLANE DOWN WITH THEIR CARS like a whale..dragging it along the most of the runaway.

It was a great thought out action sequence and IMO was very original and something we've haven't seen. If you can't get past things like that then don't watch anymore sequels then come back and act like some high and mighty film critic.
post #33 of 54 Old 05-27-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't take credit for this cat from IMDB thread explained rather well:

The scene only lasts 13 minutes, and the plane was on the runway for 11 mins lol

But take into consideration we see different scenes for all the characters, but they're all occurring at the same time. Dom/Hobbs fighting, Han/Gisele fighting, Roman/Tej's bits, Brian/Mia's bits, Letty vs Riley fight. That's all going down simultaneously, but we are shown it sequentially so in reality that takedown could have occured in minutes. But as it's a movie and we see each part separately, it totals much higher and of course that's how we want it! Was a great end to the film. Sorry for turning nerd there.
See The Light likes this.
post #34 of 54 Old 05-27-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
@zoey67: Wanking off?? Seriously? rolleyes.gif

Apart from the fact that the plane there was a freaking Antonov cargo plane, we are asked to believe that a pixie Alfa Romeo hatchback, a Jeep and a Charger were holding it off from lift off?? And that too with two of the cars on two wheels? The saving grace of that scene was O 'Connor's choice to shoot the anchor at the plane's flaps, thereby preventing it from generating the lift required for take off.

I really liked Fast Five, and this one went back to the Tokyo Drift days of ridiculousness. Some of the car race sequences looked like early 60s Bond movie sequences, with the "fast forward effect" a little too obvious where the cars were clearly filmed going slower, but then the resultant film played back at a faster pace to give the illusion that the cars were moving at a break neck speed. This was more jarring for me than the obvious "Need for Speed" CGI from the first couple of films.

I really wanted to check my brain out, but some of these sequences made me scratch my head in disbelief. I am glad I didn't spend the extra money to see this stinker in fancy XD or ETX theaters. A plain old rathole of a screen in my local cineplex was grand for this garbage.
post #35 of 54 Old 05-27-2013, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, you hated it - I liked it, is there a problem with that? I hope not..And to say that this goes back to Tokyo Drift says a lot about that statement...Koo Koo for cocoa puffs.

Btw IMDB scores:

Fast 5 - 7.3

Fast 6 - 7.8
post #36 of 54 Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
People expecting realism from a FF movie! LOL. Did you miss the first 5 movies or what.
post #37 of 54 Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I just had a laugh while watching these crazy stunts. Yes, a lot of it is just ridiculous, but I'll never say it isn't fun to watch. smile.gif In the scene where Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Vin flies through the air to save Letty, the entire audience laughed and applauded loudly. It was amazing to see something like that on the big screen

David Budo
post #38 of 54 Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Saw this movie yesterday with my wife. It was entertaining enough but I was getting antsy by the time the endless runway scene occurred. Since the longest runway in Spain is just under 3 miles long I concluded that this was a special ultra-secret circular runway. The Antonov An-124 (if this is the correct ID) has a maximum takeoff weight of 893,000 pounds so I don't think a few dangling cars was going to hamper it much. Compromising the flaps was the much better way to go. At any rate the movie suffered from too much of everything in its quest to outdo all previous versions. I read 250 cars were destroyed while filming the tank scene. I can suspend disbelief for just so long before you have to start laughing at the stunts especially the mid-air catches worth of Superman or John Carter. While I got the type of movie I expected it also pushed the over-the-top envelope to the point of parody.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #39 of 54 Old 05-28-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Oh yes... It has the longest runway on the planet.
By the end of that chase, I thought Han was going to step out of his car ....in downtown Tokyo.

Sanjay
post #40 of 54 Old 05-28-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

As noted in an earlier post, I rather enjoyed Fast & Furious 6. Consequently, when some of you posted that you liked Fast & Furious 5 (Fast Five) even more, I looked for it on cable. Lo and behold, Cinemax is carrying it this week so I have set it up to record on Wednesday evening. Looking forward to seeing it.

So you went to see furious 6 with out seeing fast five first?
post #41 of 54 Old 05-28-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post

So you went to see furious 6 with out seeing fast five first?

ROFL! I figured seeing 6 before 5 would be a safe bet in this case.smile.gif
post #42 of 54 Old 05-28-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If Fast Five cleverly grafted an all-out action movie onto the bones of a series about underground street racing, Fast & Furious 6 is an attempt to turn the whole thing into a soap opera with a casual disregard for physics. Some people live, some people die. Some people come back from the dead. But whatever happens, they’re a family. And everything around that family will almost certainly blow up.

This was a nice summation of the movie, from an amateur review on The Verge by Nilay Patel. smile.gif
post #43 of 54 Old 05-28-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

This was a nice summation of the movie, from an amateur review on The Verge by Nilay Patel. smile.gif
As usual, some of his complaints come from not paying attention to the movie. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Why is the team surprised by Shaw attacking a military convoy when they’ve been recruited specifically because he’s been attacking military convoys?
The chip Shaw wanted was at the military base, so the team prepared for an attack at the base, not thinking Shaw would attack a convoy headed for the base.
Quote:
Why does Brian worry so much about a trip to the US if he’s working for the cops now?
Because he's still a wanted fugitive (the pardon doesn't go through until after the mission).

Sanjay
post #44 of 54 Old 05-28-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

As usual, some of his complaints come from not paying attention to the movie. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The chip Shaw wanted was at the military base, so the team prepared for an attack at the base, not thinking Shaw would attack a convoy headed for the base.
Because he's still a wanted fugitive (the pardon doesn't go through until after the mission).

You are right about those missed points. That review was nothing more than just a hilarious "fan review", and unlike a professional critic, he did miss some of the plot points. But it was a hilarious read nonetheless, particularly the summation I quoted, comparing the movie to a soap opera. smile.gif
post #45 of 54 Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree that it was hilarious (laughed out loud more than once), and some of his complaints were legit.

Sanjay
post #46 of 54 Old 06-02-2013, 05:38 AM

Liked: 22
post #47 of 54 Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 AM

Liked: 10
I watched Fast and Furious 6 movie in theatre and friends this is really very nice movie.
post #48 of 54 Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI: Richard Roper @ the movies gave it A- and he said "that's right, I'm giving it an A-". That's right so kiss my butt go watch Slum dog Millionaire again and again if you want realism. Roper didn't say the last part, that was me.
post #49 of 54 Old 06-08-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 99
There have been some interesting thoughts behind the "resurrection" of the Fast and Furious franchise after Tokyo Drift, and where Tokyo Drift chronologically fit into the franchise (not where you thought it fits), and make the development and the storyline a little more believable.

Two articles and a twenty minutes short from 2009, written and directed by Vin Diesel, clarifies some of this and link some things together.

Time Entertainment; Vroom to Grow: How The Fast and the Furious Became Hollywood’s Greatest Action-Movie Franchise

Entertainment Weekly; 'Los Bandoleros': Why you need to watch the 'Fast and Furious' film you (probably) haven't seen
post #50 of 54 Old 10-02-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Just finished watching this on Blu ray, fantastic! Loved every minute of it can't wait for the next one.

Frank

post #51 of 54 Old 10-02-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, I liked this one too. One of the best things they did is refresh the franchise with the previous movie, switching from street racing to the heist genre (which had already been part of the stories since the first film, but was now in the forefront with the racing part practically gone).

BTW, at the end of the movie, were you asking yourself how long that runway was?

Sanjay
post #52 of 54 Old 10-02-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

Yeah, I liked this one too. One of the best things they did is refresh the franchise with the previous movie, switching from street racing to the heist genre (which had already been part of the stories since the first film, but was now in the forefront with the racing part practically gone).

BTW, at the end of the movie, were you asking yourself how long that runway was?

Yeah I thought that should of ended awhile ago but it didn't bother me because Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
if I can accept Vin Diesel character flying in the air on the freeway saving Michelle Rodriguez life, a very long runway won't bother me biggrin.gif

Frank

post #53 of 54 Old 10-03-2013, 03:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 1127
Quote:

I enjoyed this movie too. It's one of the rare franchises where the movies have gotten better as time has gone on rather than worse. I'd read about the runway thing and how it has to be like 15 miles long, but when I was watching the movie it didn't really even occur to me to think much about it - I was wrapped up in the action on-screen and with the great PQ and SQ. And, TBH, there is so much else in the movie that requires enormous suspension of disbelief that the runway thing didn't seem all that extreme, in context. 

It's odd nobody ever similarly mentioned the scenes in the previous movie where they drag that huge vault behind the two cars for miles, through city streets. It's just as crazy and impossible - if the vault weighs more than the cars (which it sure appeared to do) then what would happen when the vault swings sideways, for example?  Would a) the cars recover the vault or b) the vault drag the cars to their doom? But the entire sequence was fabulous IMO and terrifically entertaining. Sometimes we really do have to suspend disbelief, big time :)

Morpheo likes this.
post #54 of 54 Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I enjoyed this movie too. It's one of the rare franchises where the movies have gotten better as time has gone on rather than worse. I'd read about the runway thing and how it has to be like 15 miles long, but when I was watching the movie it didn't really even occur to me to think much about it - I was wrapped up in the action on-screen and with the great PQ and SQ. And, TBH, there is so much else in the movie that requires enormous suspension of disbelief that the runway thing didn't seem all that extreme, in context.
One explanation is that the actions we're seeing with each team is happening simultaneously, but edited sequentially to avoid cutting back and forth too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It's odd nobody ever similarly mentioned the scenes in the previous movie where they drag that huge vault behind the two cars for miles, through city streets. It's just as crazy and impossible - if the vault weighs more than the cars (which it sure appeared to do) then what would happen when the vault swings sideways, for example?  Would a) the cars recover the vault or b) the vault drag the cars to their doom? But the entire sequence was fabulous IMO and terrifically entertaining. Sometimes we really do have to suspend disbelief, big time smile.gif
Yup, real vs reel.

Sanjay
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page