Review: The Cake Eaters - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Didn't see a thread on this and felt it deserved one. I ended up with it on my queue presumably just through random associative browsing. Or maybe because it has Kristin Stewart in it, which I've always considered a good thing.

But it turned out to be a very beautiful piece of work. It's in that genre of gentle, slightly melancholy, slightly depressing but in a beautiful sort of way type of films that I end up watching a lot of. As is often the case with these types of flicks it's not a 'story arc' movie. Not much is wrapped up neatly or tied off just to push the standard viewer buttons, it's just a slice of every day life in a small, rural town. Mostly it's about a young girl with a neurological disease who is coming into young womanhood and finally breaking away from the overly protective cocoon that her mother, for quite understandable reasons, has sort of created around her.

Kristen Stewart of course plays the girl, and honestly she sort of ripped my heart out. This was I guess about 6 years ago, and she was a very thin version of herself, which actually made her condition seem very much more believable. I thought she did an excellent job and certainly played me like a violin. But I have a weak spot for her anyway, so maybe my opinion isn't to be trusted, I dunno.

Everyone did a good job in it. Bruce Dern was particularly good I thought. But all of the parts are of the type that I'm sure most actors love to do, with plenty of subtlety and nuance, which is also characteristic of this genre.

Interestingly it was directed by Mary Stewart Masterson, of course of John Hughes 80's teen angst flick fame. She did a great job with it, I thought.

Anyhoo, if you like these types of flicks, and you know who you are, then you'd probably enjoy this one a lot. I think it's a re-watcher for me when in the mood for something of that sort, which is fairly often these days. Nothing like a simple, bittersweet flick now and again. I'm sure some people (aka guys), who aren't in touch with their inner female self, may think it's hokey, slow, overly wrought or some such thing. But I liked it a lot.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

But it turned out to be a very beautiful piece of work. It's in that genre of gentle, slightly melancholy, slightly depressing but in a beautiful sort of way .
I could describe This Must Be The Place exactly this way.wink.gif

BTW, which of us are going to get 20,000 posts first?tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks for the review, Dean. I've added this to my list.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I could describe This Must Be The Place exactly this way.wink.gif

BTW, which of us are going to get 20,000 posts first?tongue.gif

I've fallen way behind. I think I hit 17K three or four years ago. I built up most of mine back in the early days in these multi-thousand post arguments in the HTPC area against people openly justifying the theft of anything they can get their hands on.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #5 of 5 Old 05-21-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

I've fallen way behind. I think I hit 17K three or four years ago. I built up most of mine back in the early days in these multi-thousand post arguments in the HTPC area against people openly justifying the theft of anything they can get their hands on.
Oh, don't worry...there is plenty of room for "arguments" around here still....wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
The Cake Eaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page