Help with Cloudy DVD's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. (Not sure if I should post this here, please move if I am in the wrong section)

I have just recently come across the displeasure of finding some of my DVDs to be exhibiting some frosted looking spotty parts on them. Now, these disks have never been mis-treated or anything, some have even only been played a couple of times. These DVD's just sit on the shelf mostly.

I think this is what they call Disk Rot, but, Im not sure. Firstly having just gone through a chunk of my collection, I have found more that seem to be showing signs. I did not expect to find any beyond the batch of Stargate Atlantis disks that I found first to be affected, assuming a manufacturing problem. Sadly, some others seem to be affected.

However, after thinking they were disk rot, I used my fingernail underneath a micro-fibre cloth and scratched at it. I thought nothing should happen because if it was disk rot, it would be in-between the layers. With enough pressure these markings seem to be able to be taken off, although, doing that is hard, and can leave scratches on the disks.

Does anyone know what is causing this to happen if it is not disk rot?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Heres some pics:

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/2220/img1189kc.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/821/img1188jz.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-21-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 198
They look like they have been exposed to moisture, heat or the like at some point. This is also sometimes seen when discs are stored in a wallet type folder with plastic sleeves. You can try a polishing machine to make them readable, but the bottom line is they are coasters. If its possible to read them in a PC drive, copying them would be the solution.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page