Joss Whedons 'Much Ado About Nothing' - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Oh, yeah, I guess I vaguely remember that.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 06-13-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
more recognizable in this one.
.CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality
post #33 of 40 Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Has no one gone to see this? I saw it yesterday and thought it was wonderful. For one, it shows how beautiful a well-lensed B&W film can be. For another, as John Oliver on The Daily Show pointed out, the actors deliver Shakespeare's verse in a manner that is pretty easy to follow (the plot is fairly convoluted, however, so it might be advisable to wiki the play and be aware of what will be happening). The updating of the play actually works quite well. And, though I love Shakespeare greatly, I have seldom found his comedies to actually come across as laugh-out-loud funny; this one actually is funny (though parts are quite serious). Lastly, Whedon makes good use of his ensemble, with some actors playing against type. Others conform to expectations, often to make it easier to tell what sort of person is being portrayed.

Hey, it is Shakespeare. You have to work at it. But it's fast-paced and rewards patience. I'll get the Blu-ray once the price is right.

CW Hinkle
post #34 of 40 Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Saw it. Liked it. Not much to talk about.

It's a good adaptation. Nathan Fillion is hilarious as Dogberry. Amy Acker is delightful.

I kind of feel like I should have watched Branagh's version first as homework. smile.gif

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #35 of 40 Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 537
The Missus & I are planning on seeing it on a future "date night". Sounds like a delightful change from the usual summer fare. Me, I'm an unrefiined heathen when it comes to Shakespere but Mrs. Archie has a more sophisticated cultural palette. wink.gif Me, I'll watch anything with.... say it with me now.....AmyAckerAmyAckerAmyAcker!biggrin.gif
post #36 of 40 Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Me, I'll watch anything with.... say it with me now.....AmyAckerAmyAckerAmyAcker!biggrin.gif
You better hope Mrs. Archie doesn't read that....biggrin.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #37 of 40 Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

You better hope Mrs. Archie doesn't read that....biggrin.gif

Hey, that's not an issue in the ol' archihouse. She's let me know in no uncertain terms that she's seeing every movie Matthew McConaughey has ever been in, or will ever be in. How do you think I got permission to build a theater? tongue.gif
post #38 of 40 Old 07-02-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Hey, that's not an issue in the ol' archihouse. She's let me know in no uncertain terms that she's seeing every movie Matthew McConaughey has ever been in, or will ever be in. How do you think I got permission to build a theater? tongue.gif
Oh my....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #39 of 40 Old 07-04-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Has no one gone to see this? I saw it yesterday and thought it was wonderful. For one, it shows how beautiful a well-lensed B&W film can be. For another, as John Oliver on The Daily Show pointed out, the actors deliver Shakespeare's verse in a manner that is pretty easy to follow (the plot is fairly convoluted, however, so it might be advisable to wiki the play and be aware of what will be happening). The updating of the play actually works quite well. And, though I love Shakespeare greatly, I have seldom found his comedies to actually come across as laugh-out-loud funny; this one actually is funny (though parts are quite serious). Lastly, Whedon makes good use of his ensemble, with some actors playing against type. Others conform to expectations, often to make it easier to tell what sort of person is being portrayed.

Hey, it is Shakespeare. You have to work at it. But it's fast-paced and rewards patience. I'll get the Blu-ray once the price is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Saw it. Liked it. Not much to talk about.

It's a good adaptation. Nathan Fillion is hilarious as Dogberry. Amy Acker is delightful.

I kind of feel like I should have watched Branagh's version first as homework. smile.gif

Although I have posted to this thread several times, I had failed to post that I saw it the day it opened in OKC. A thousand pardons. Many of you know that I am a confirmed Whedonhead so it will come of no surprise to you that I loved Much Ado About Nothing. As Josh said, Fillion is a comic delight as the seemingly foolish but surprisingly competent, Dogberry, and Amy Acker is adorable. Whedon and his friends have done a terrific job of filtering what may be Shakespeare's most sunny and optimistic play through a modern lens. 8 Stars out of 10. I should add that I had never before seen the play, not even the Branagh film, so I read some things on line that helped with my enjoyment of Whedon's film.
post #40 of 40 Old 07-04-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really enjoyed this one. I also got a kick out of Fillion's portrayal of Dogberry. I thought the production hinted at there being a "method to his madness" in a way that made it more enjoyable than Michael Keaton's turn in Branagh's production of Much Ado.
Amy Acker was adorable, of course, but I was surprised to see how effective Alexis Denisof was as Benedick. Probably shouldn't be surprised; Prejudice, I suppose, thinking his earlier roles made him seem to be a poor choice for Shakespearean comedy.
John
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page