Joss Whedons 'Much Ado About Nothing' - Page 2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Other Areas of Interest > Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > Joss Whedons 'Much Ado About Nothing'

Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Josh Z's Avatar Josh Z
09:45 AM Liked: 426
post #31 of 40
06-11-2013 | Posts: 20,341
Oh, yeah, I guess I vaguely remember that.
spike jones's Avatar spike jones
07:18 AM Liked: 29
post #32 of 40
06-13-2013 | Posts: 232
more recognizable in this one.
.CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar Shaded Dogfood
09:43 AM Liked: 37
post #33 of 40
07-02-2013 | Posts: 4,857
Has no one gone to see this? I saw it yesterday and thought it was wonderful. For one, it shows how beautiful a well-lensed B&W film can be. For another, as John Oliver on The Daily Show pointed out, the actors deliver Shakespeare's verse in a manner that is pretty easy to follow (the plot is fairly convoluted, however, so it might be advisable to wiki the play and be aware of what will be happening). The updating of the play actually works quite well. And, though I love Shakespeare greatly, I have seldom found his comedies to actually come across as laugh-out-loud funny; this one actually is funny (though parts are quite serious). Lastly, Whedon makes good use of his ensemble, with some actors playing against type. Others conform to expectations, often to make it easier to tell what sort of person is being portrayed.

Hey, it is Shakespeare. You have to work at it. But it's fast-paced and rewards patience. I'll get the Blu-ray once the price is right.
Josh Z's Avatar Josh Z
11:54 AM Liked: 426
post #34 of 40
07-02-2013 | Posts: 20,341
Saw it. Liked it. Not much to talk about.

It's a good adaptation. Nathan Fillion is hilarious as Dogberry. Amy Acker is delightful.

I kind of feel like I should have watched Branagh's version first as homework. smile.gif
archiguy's Avatar archiguy
12:40 PM Liked: 714
post #35 of 40
07-02-2013 | Posts: 18,360
The Missus & I are planning on seeing it on a future "date night". Sounds like a delightful change from the usual summer fare. Me, I'm an unrefiined heathen when it comes to Shakespere but Mrs. Archie has a more sophisticated cultural palette. wink.gif Me, I'll watch anything with.... say it with me now.....AmyAckerAmyAckerAmyAcker!biggrin.gif
oink's Avatar oink
12:41 PM Liked: 818
post #36 of 40
07-02-2013 | Posts: 26,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Me, I'll watch anything with.... say it with me now.....AmyAckerAmyAckerAmyAcker!biggrin.gif
You better hope Mrs. Archie doesn't read that....biggrin.gif
archiguy's Avatar archiguy
12:44 PM Liked: 714
post #37 of 40
07-02-2013 | Posts: 18,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

You better hope Mrs. Archie doesn't read that....biggrin.gif

Hey, that's not an issue in the ol' archihouse. She's let me know in no uncertain terms that she's seeing every movie Matthew McConaughey has ever been in, or will ever be in. How do you think I got permission to build a theater? tongue.gif
oink's Avatar oink
01:26 PM Liked: 818
post #38 of 40
07-02-2013 | Posts: 26,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Hey, that's not an issue in the ol' archihouse. She's let me know in no uncertain terms that she's seeing every movie Matthew McConaughey has ever been in, or will ever be in. How do you think I got permission to build a theater? tongue.gif
Oh my....
gwsat's Avatar gwsat
07:23 AM Liked: 558
post #39 of 40
07-04-2013 | Posts: 14,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Has no one gone to see this? I saw it yesterday and thought it was wonderful. For one, it shows how beautiful a well-lensed B&W film can be. For another, as John Oliver on The Daily Show pointed out, the actors deliver Shakespeare's verse in a manner that is pretty easy to follow (the plot is fairly convoluted, however, so it might be advisable to wiki the play and be aware of what will be happening). The updating of the play actually works quite well. And, though I love Shakespeare greatly, I have seldom found his comedies to actually come across as laugh-out-loud funny; this one actually is funny (though parts are quite serious). Lastly, Whedon makes good use of his ensemble, with some actors playing against type. Others conform to expectations, often to make it easier to tell what sort of person is being portrayed.

Hey, it is Shakespeare. You have to work at it. But it's fast-paced and rewards patience. I'll get the Blu-ray once the price is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Saw it. Liked it. Not much to talk about.

It's a good adaptation. Nathan Fillion is hilarious as Dogberry. Amy Acker is delightful.

I kind of feel like I should have watched Branagh's version first as homework. smile.gif

Although I have posted to this thread several times, I had failed to post that I saw it the day it opened in OKC. A thousand pardons. Many of you know that I am a confirmed Whedonhead so it will come of no surprise to you that I loved Much Ado About Nothing. As Josh said, Fillion is a comic delight as the seemingly foolish but surprisingly competent, Dogberry, and Amy Acker is adorable. Whedon and his friends have done a terrific job of filtering what may be Shakespeare's most sunny and optimistic play through a modern lens. 8 Stars out of 10. I should add that I had never before seen the play, not even the Branagh film, so I read some things on line that helped with my enjoyment of Whedon's film.
hoganj1's Avatar hoganj1
02:44 PM Liked: 14
post #40 of 40
07-04-2013 | Posts: 80
I really enjoyed this one. I also got a kick out of Fillion's portrayal of Dogberry. I thought the production hinted at there being a "method to his madness" in a way that made it more enjoyable than Michael Keaton's turn in Branagh's production of Much Ado.
Amy Acker was adorable, of course, but I was surprised to see how effective Alexis Denisof was as Benedick. Probably shouldn't be surprised; Prejudice, I suppose, thinking his earlier roles made him seem to be a poor choice for Shakespearean comedy.
John

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Subscribe to this Thread