Man of Steel - Dolby Atmos - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The Man of Steel movie will start out with a midnight showing at many (if not all) theaters at 12:01 AM Friday - June 14.

http://manofsteel.warnerbros.com/index.html?home

I am planning to see MoS at the closest Dolby Atmos theater which for me is the ShowPlace Icon in Chicago.

http://showplaceicon.com/

Although I usually steer away from 3D but in this case I'll grin and bear it just for the sound. I saw Brave in Dolby Atmos at this theater last year.

Here is the listing of other Dolby Atmos theaters.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/cinema/dolby-atmos.html#Theatres

Look forward to seeing comments from others experiencing the movie in this sound format.

-G

Update: Corrected date of midnight showing.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have my tickets booked for the Dobly Atmos presentation on Friday night at the new Century at Pacific Commons in Fremont, CA. Can't even imagine the crowds I have to brave for this movie on a Friday night in such a nice venue. Might have to line up by 6pm for an 8pm show. eek.gif
post #3 of 21 Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

I have my tickets booked for the Dobly Atmos presentation on Friday night at the new Century at Pacific Commons in Fremont, CA. Can't even imagine the crowds I have to brave for this movie on a Friday night in such a nice venue. Might have to line up by 6pm for an 8pm show. eek.gif

Aw c'mon! Back in the day we braved the lines for twice as long for Star Wars!
post #4 of 21 Old 06-07-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I've braved lines for more than 8 hours for many movies just to have the perfect seat. I'll be watching MoS in IMAX midnight Thursday and then in Atmos the week after. That'll be my first Atmos experience.

David Budo
post #5 of 21 Old 06-10-2013, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Does anyone know if Man of Steel will be in IMAX *2D*?

Cant stand 3D after Avengers. Terrible movie anyway.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-10-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi777 View Post

Any cineplex worth it's salt will be playing 4 versions. IMAX 3D, IMAX 2D, regular 3D, regular 2D.

post #7 of 21 Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

The Man of Steel movie will start out with a midnight showing at many (if not all) theaters at 12:01 AM Friday - June 14.

http://manofsteel.warnerbros.com/index.html?home

I am planning to see MoS at the closest Dolby Atmos theater which for me is the ShowPlace Icon in Chicago.

http://showplaceicon.com/

Although I usually steer away from 3D but in this case I'll grin and bear it just for the sound. I saw Brave in Dolby Atmos at this theater last year.

Here is the listing of other Dolby Atmos theaters.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/cinema/dolby-atmos.html#Theatres

Look forward to seeing comments from others experiencing the movie in this sound format.

-G

Gah! I've completely missed the boat on this one. Should have reserved my tickets much earlier. Every Dolby Atmos show is completely sold out through this weekend.

post #8 of 21 Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Gah! I've completely missed the boat on this one. Should have reserved my tickets much earlier. Every Dolby Atmos show is completely sold out through this weekend.

You should have no problem seeing it in Dolby Atmos, assuming that you aren't going today, Friday. The preference for most on a big screen will probably be IMAX 3D. The actual Dolby Atmos mix is a lot better than the one for Star Trek, but not as enveloping as Oblivion.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

You should have no problem seeing it in Dolby Atmos, assuming that you aren't going today, Friday. The preference for most on a big screen will probably be IMAX 3D. The actual Dolby Atmos mix is a lot better than the one for Star Trek, but not as enveloping as Oblivion.

Thanks but it's just as well since I've come down with a 'summer' cold and I'm not subjecting anyone to it.

post #10 of 21 Old 06-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Saw dolby atmos last night. Was super loud and the bass was bloated and boomy.
post #11 of 21 Old 06-15-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw this movie last night in an Atmos theater, but felt that the mix wasn't any better than a normal format presentation. No additional dimensionality that I could perceive. I am feeling the urge to see the movie again in IMAX to get a better visual immersion.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm forced to watch the 3d version of every Atmos movie as cinemark says that is all that is available to watch apparently.

post #13 of 21 Old 06-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Saw this movie last night in an Atmos theater, but felt that the mix wasn't any better than a normal format presentation. No additional dimensionality that I could perceive. I am feeling the urge to see the movie again in IMAX to get a better visual immersion.

Imax was the same as regular screen there was nothing special about it.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-15-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi777 View Post

some regal cinemas theatre will be playing man of steel in non 3d imax. they are only playing that version once a day.

I saw man of steel in folsom with the dolby atmos. it my first movie in dolby atmos. the theatre got the doby atmos for man of steel. it was opening day for it. I heard other theatres were adding dolby atmos for man of steel. they showed man of steel in non 3d with the dolby atmos. which is the reason I saw it. i saw it in 3d and it was terrible. i do like 3d when it works.

Jacob

http://www.cinemawest.com/pal.html
post #15 of 21 Old 06-16-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

Saw dolby atmos last night. Was super loud and the bass was bloated and boomy.

Thats what it is like in one of the cinema's around where i live. Huge screen almost as big as IMAX. The bass is so outrageously loud that bass notes around 40hz were shaking the cinema. Sound effects were soo sharp. This was my experience of the film Zero Dark Thirty.
post #16 of 21 Old 06-16-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

some regal cinemas theatre will be playing man of steel in non 3d imax. they are only playing that version once a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogerBomb View Post

I'm forced to watch the 3d version of every Atmos movie as cinemark says that is all that is available to watch apparently.

This is the exact same issue that I have in my country. There is only one IMAX cinema here. And its only doing the 3D version. So mad. mad.gif
post #17 of 21 Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Seen the film yesterday, sold out performances all day.. The IMAX presentation was stunning and the bass was outrageous. Maybe another 100 for audio from Ralph..biggrin.gif

post #18 of 21 Old 06-22-2013, 01:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Just got back from seeing 'Man of Steel' in Atmos with a couple of friends from out of town. We were all impressed with the mix. Not as much overhead as I would have liked, but what was there was definitely noticable. There was lots of sound panning fluidly around the theatre.

It was at the Arclight in Sherman Oaks, which has tame bass compared to the nearby Atmos theatre in Burbank, where the bass is so overcooked that you can hear stuff inside the theatre rattling (so distracting).

Even the Dolby 3D looked good (compared to my previous experience with their anaglyph system).

Sanjay
post #19 of 21 Old 06-23-2013, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i went to the Cinema to see this movie yesterday! The hall is full of people, no empty seats. Superman is so cool!
post #20 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Saw this movie in IMAX 3D the first time. Better in 2D actually which allows the story to be much better appreciated without distractions or ghosting issues. Wonderful score and overwhelming sound but better the second time around. Context for sound pressure and destruction levels was the enemies involved and their capabilities against Superman. Absolutely awesome film! This Superman is the real deal. Don't feminize the story. There is a plethora of real emotion in this material exactly the way it is presented. All it requires is actual empathy on the part of the viewer not seeking the easy way out or desiring a sophomoric approach to the Herculean struggles faced by the leading character simply by giving him a girlfriend. Jeesh, what gets into people?
raaj likes this.
post #21 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar View Post

Saw this movie in IMAX 3D the first time. Better in 2D actually which allows the story to be much better appreciated without distractions or ghosting issues. Wonderful score and overwhelming sound but better the second time around. Context for sound pressure and destruction levels was the enemies involved and their capabilities against Superman. Absolutely awesome film! This Superman is the real deal. Don't feminize the story. There is a plethora of real emotion in this material exactly the way it is presented. All it requires is actual empathy on the part of the viewer not seeking the easy way out or desiring a sophomoric approach to the Herculean struggles faced by the leading character simply by giving him a girlfriend. Jeesh, what gets into people?

Very well put. Your post belongs in the main thread on MoS, as this is a thread for Dolby Atmos related discussion of this movie. smile.gif
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page