Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-08-2013, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Star Trek: Into Darkness Imax Digital 3D ,Saw it today in an AMC Digital Imax theater .................... YOUSA! This is my first Digital Imax3D adventure perfect movie for it.

Oh the movie was good I liked it better than the last Star Trek flick I like all of them some more than others . This one is definitely coming to me soon on blue ray !
Some great scenes/effects and graphics good camera work and direction sound was impressive good plot decent acting sound puts THX to shame
at least any I have heard at home or in a theater .

I have an OK HT set up it can thrill you or make pain it can play at reference levels and more if you want . I have a DBX 15" sub in the mix in a not real small cabinet
and decent not small speakers trust me that DBX will give you the feeling of low Bass in that room it does bass.

I don't know the I max theater system specs. I understand they are decent they claim an 80db reference level that was the loudest 80db I've ever heard and I've heard much more than 80db on numerous occasions. I can go way over 80db in the HT or even more in the studio so I'm not unfamiliar with those sound levels .Uncompressed Digital Imax sound makes THX sound lame ! At least any I have heard at home or in theaters at reference levels or above. Warning take some at least some small foam earplugs with you if you go just in case they have it cranked it was cranked today ! Puts My DBX even cranked up to shame that's hard to do .

I'm not saying my HT will fill a an Imax theater but it can shake the house and a couple nearby too if you want I usually don't crank it like that but it can. I don't know the individual theater calibration procedures ,equipment or consistencies in the AMC chain let me just say it was loud uncompressed impressive no DTS type compression effect not perfect analog but good and loud decently clean for a theater anyway not SACD really good good CD Or real good vinyl music clean but OK for movies , Ginormous bass effects They must have some multi speaker 18" bass bins in there somewhere I don't know what speakers they use the theater attendant seemed to think they were JBL's but I couldn't verify that maybe someone in the know or Google can
.I felt they could have turned it down a fair bit and I'm the one that usually likes my action movies loud. If out have not tried the Imax digital 3d format I highly recommend
it

Imax 3D is a little more in your face or out in front of the screen if you will at least on this movie I prefer it over real Digital 3D even at the stated 2K resolution
A nightmare would be seeing the Kardashians or maybe Beyonce and Jay Z bumping and grinding in Imax .noooooooooooo

Don't know if Jurassic Park has been Re mastered for this
but if not it should be along with some others I can think of maybe some of the Indiana Jones movies the orig Total recall? if that is even possible ?

Just bought a new 2D Plasma for the HT in Feb it looks good my first Plasma ....maybe I should have looked at some 3D sets I might have think about that , content cost ,availability etc.
and will the PS3 play 3d stuff well ? How good is home 3D ? Have to consult Google and of course here at AVS ..

I'm looking forward to the next Imax movie Man of steel is coming out on the 14th I'll have look at some other previews and things as well see whats out now also the theater folks seem to prefer the Imax sound and picture over RD3D also but like anything else YMMV .

FWIW Cnet has a comparison of Imax and RD3D right here http://asia.cnet.com/reald-vs-imax-digital-3d-whats-the-difference-62208932.htm

best regards

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-08-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 128
There are two other threads already open for this movie.

David Budo
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page