Why dont they get healthier foods at theaters? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 06-14-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've always wondered about this...I cant have foods high in sodium, and I cant have fattening stuff all the time. So when I go to the theater, 90% of the menu is off limits smile.gif! Pizza, popcorn, hotdogs, salted soft pretzel bites are major no-no's for low sodium diets. The healthy foods are just OUTSIDE the theater in the mall smile.gif! Cant bring that in unless I sneak it in...if I eat those foods, its not like I'm gonna die, but I'm looking at the next 2-3 days of garden salads and water smile.gif! Often times, I go with what I can eat, like the peanut MnMs and gourmet chocolates. Fattening but moderate sodium. I'm surprised they have bottled water!

They're not gonna allow a Subway Sandwich shop or one of those frozen yogurt buffets in there because they wouldnt get every dollar from that like they do from the concessions. But can they squeeze some grilled chicken sandwiches and non fat yogurt in there smile.gif?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-14-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I always wonder about this too. I just sneak my outside food in everytime. smile.gif

David Budo
post #3 of 33 Old 06-14-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post
I've always wondered about this...I cant have foods high in sodium, and I cant have fattening stuff all the time. So when I go to the theater, 90% of the menu is off limits smile.gif! Pizza, popcorn, hotdogs, salted soft pretzel bites are major no-no's for low sodium diets. The healthy foods are just OUTSIDE the theater in the mall smile.gif! Cant bring that in unless I sneak it in...if I eat those foods, its not like I'm gonna die, but I'm looking at the next 2-3 days of garden salads and water smile.gif! Often times, I go with what I can eat, like the peanut MnMs and gourmet chocolates. Fattening but moderate sodium. I'm surprised they have bottled water!

They're not gonna allow a Subway Sandwich shop or one of those frozen yogurt buffets in there because they wouldnt get every dollar from that like they do from the concessions. But can they squeeze some grilled chicken sandwiches and non fat yogurt in there smile.gif?

Did you try the suggestion box?

post #4 of 33 Old 06-14-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

Well, keep in mind most of their profits are from concessions, so they want to minimize costs there as much as they can. The stuff they do carry 1) tends to be cheap to make or buy in bulk, and 2) requires little to no prep. Popcorn's easy to pop, hotdogs and pizza come precooked and just need to be heated, candy comes prepackaged.

So anything that requires actual cooking is out, and anything like chicken sandwiches that are just heated are likely loaded with preservatives and sodium anyway (they'd order them in bulk from some distant distributor, no theater is going to make those on site), so you might as well eat the pizza at that point. Non-fat yogurt would probably be doable, though I think that'd be a rather small customer base.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 33 Old 06-14-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Can't help you with the salt thing or special diet items, but I can state that the best movie theater meal I can remember is sneaking a bag of Jack-In-The-Box tacos into the show. I consider their tacos The Finist Meal In America with all the 5 food groups represented in one meal if you recognize tomatoes as the fruit they are, plus the sixth "unknown food group" in the faux meaty stuff. The only problem is picking seating away from other patrons far enough that the blizzard of lettuce & tomatoes does not hit them and the crunching does not cause a disturbance in quiet periods. Cleanly eating tacos in the dark is an art most, including me, have failed to master.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #6 of 33 Old 06-15-2013, 01:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
WOW, what a thread.
zoey67 likes this.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #7 of 33 Old 06-15-2013, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

WOW, what a thread.
Dude...that was funny....that was totally funny - Jeff Spicoli
biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #8 of 33 Old 06-15-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Century Theaters when they opened their multiplex in Pleasant Hill over a decade ago had more items at the concession stand including gourmet pizzas, etc. Over time that was reduced to th usual suspects as I suspect it really didn't pay off. I think most of the masses expect to eat junk food at theaters and have developed a taste for theater butter flavor that even the bag popcorn at stores come in that flavor. Part of the problem too may be what kind of foods clean up easier.
post #9 of 33 Old 06-15-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Part of the problem too may be what kind of foods clean up easier.
And which is least expensive.wink.gif

post #10 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 12:36 AM

Liked: 32
This has to be a joke.
post #11 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

We had a theater or two that were actually "dinner movie theaters" where you could have a full meal served to you during the film.
post #12 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 02:07 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

We had a theater or two that were actually "dinner movie theaters" where you could have a full meal served to you during the film.
It is called your home.
post #13 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

We have a few of those in Salem and are a fun way to go on a "date" with the Mrs.
Also, they will bring cold microbrews on draft.smile.gif

post #14 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

We have a few of those in Salem and are a fun way to go on a "date" with the Mrs.
Also, they will bring cold microbrews on draft.smile.gif

I wanna come to Shuloch!!! smile.gif

Bobby 

post #15 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 391
If movie popcorn** and a tub o diet coke is bad, I don't wanna be good.

(And kit kats, and glossettes peanuts, junior mints, nachos with their mysteriously icky/addictive cheese-like sauce...and don't get me started if there's a coke free style machine around...)
post #16 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I wanna come to Shuloch!!! smile.gif
You really wouldn't....people have a tendency to lose their water there (See Frank Herbert's Dune).

post #17 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Here's Why - Salt & sugar poisons you so you'll enjoy a film that doesn't make sense?
Salt & Sugar & Processed Bread like substance poisons you so you'll fall asleep before
realizing how bad the movie is?
A crashing pancreas distracts you from horrible remakes and makes the same story seem fresh.

This is all based on a huge study done by Hollywood with the intent of actually killing you while extracting money
at the same time. I know it's confusing, but refer to PapaJohns commercials during Football games
for further research. This could also create a situation where you fear NFL games on TV because you
could relapse into eating processed Bread Like Substance And Things Shaped Like Other Things That Might
have come from Pigs or Other Animal types..We Think, but We're Not Positive, and there's a Bacon
type taste in there for no reason, but we have no control if we taste it cause Bacon is Heroin in disguise.

Theaters are idiots, because if they served real bacon in theaters, they could charge anything and
most men would show up and not realize why.

Just A Theory
post #18 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 11:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Here's Why - Salt & sugar poisons you so you'll enjoy a film that doesn't make sense?
Salt & Sugar & Processed Bread like substance poisons you so you'll fall asleep before
realizing how bad the movie is?
A crashing pancreas distracts you from horrible remakes and makes the same story seem fresh.

This is all based on a huge study done by Hollywood with the intent of actually killing you while extracting money
at the same time. I know it's confusing, but refer to PapaJohns commercials during Football games
for further research. This could also create a situation where you fear NFL games on TV because you
could relapse into eating processed Bread Like Substance And Things Shaped Like Other Things That Might
have come from Pigs or Other Animal types..We Think, but We're Not Positive, and there's a Bacon
type taste in there for no reason, but we have no control if we taste it cause Bacon is Heroin in disguise.

Theaters are idiots, because if they served real bacon in theaters, they could charge anything and
most men would show up and not realize why.

Just A Theory
That is the funniest post I have read in awhile....and possibly the truest.eek.gif

post #19 of 33 Old 06-17-2013, 01:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here ya go, folks:
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/3-sinister-reasons-youre-addicted-to-junk-food/

post #20 of 33 Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 167
Quote:

Read that some time ago, Oink. The food industry has the whole sugar, fat, carbs, and salt combination down to a science. It acts like crack on the brain. Pay special attention to number two. Companies know how to get around the fact that something is "sugar-free." The FDA only counts the usual suspects as sugar. But put something like, say agave, as an ingredient, then there's no sugar, even though agave has sugar in it. We've pretty much kicked processed food to the curb, especially anything that has GMOs in them, courtesy of Monsento (look for "soy protein isolate" on the package - bad juju.)

I think everyone is hip to the fact that the theaters have a razor-thin margin and have to make their money by buying in bulk and selling the finished product high to make any money. Since the girlfriend is a serious weight trainer and can't have any sugar or carbs in her food intake, we find that a large purse stuffed with the right goodies is a viable alternative.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #21 of 33 Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

To quote that paragon of wisdom, Joycelyn Elders, Bill Clinton's Surgeon General, "Everybody is going to die of something sometime." And I would add, it might as well be of something enjoyable like popcorn, chocolate and fat.
seggers likes this.

post #22 of 33 Old 06-17-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

we find that a large purse stuffed with the right goodies is a viable alternative.
That is the smart way to go.
We even bring a bottle of water with us.

As a diabetic, I can't have sugar and other things.
However, buttered popcorn is hard to resist sometimes.wink.gif

post #23 of 33 Old 06-17-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

To quote that paragon of wisdom, Joycelyn Elders, Bill Clinton's Surgeon General, "Everybody is going to die of something sometime," and I would add, it might as well be of something enjoyable like popcorn, chocolate and fat.

I hate to be a Dickie-Downer, but that comment is predicated on the theory that your consumption of bad food can go on unabated for decades and then - poof - you're gone, hopefully peacefully as you sleep. But the reality is a diet full of salt, fat, sugar, and processed carbs will actually affect your health now, gradually making you sick and rendering the years you have left less enjoyable, not to mention much more expensive when you factor in all the otherwise unnecessary health care you're likely going to need.

In the end, it's all about awareness and moderation. And those two concepts are anathema to the food industry. Even talking about it is enough to trigger the usual pejoratives from the usual suspects about "restricting our freedom", "tyranny of the nanny state", etc. So just shut up and pass the popcorn. wink.gif
post #24 of 33 Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I hate to be a Dickie-Downer, but that comment is predicated on the theory that your consumption of bad food can go on unabated for decades and then - poof - you're gone, hopefully peacefully as you sleep. But the reality is a diet full of salt, fat, sugar, and processed carbs will actually affect your health now, gradually making you sick and rendering the years you have left less enjoyable, not to mention much more expensive when you factor in all the otherwise unnecessary health care you're likely going to need.

In the end, it's all about awareness and moderation. And those two concepts are anathema to the food industry. Even talking about it is enough to trigger the usual pejoratives from the usual suspects about "restricting our freedom", "tyranny of the nanny state", etc. So just shut up and pass the popcorn. wink.gif

How poetic. Just got off the phone with my lady. Her ex (who used to be physically fit) turned the corner several years ago and is now the unhealthiest eater on the face of the planet. Had a heart attack at the age of 47, pre-diabetic, and is now suffering from the onset of gout. Knows what he should eat but can't (or won't) eat healthy.

Personally, I say it's OK to break your healthy lifestyle every great once-in-a-while. Keep in mind you want to make it the exception, not the rule. To quote Thurgood Marshall, "I expect to die at 110, shot by a jealous husband."

post #25 of 33 Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Why would all you health mavens want to be sitting in a dank theater instead of running up stadium stairs somewhere anyway? You're just taking up space better used for my O2 bottle.

post #26 of 33 Old 06-17-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Personally, I say it's OK to break your healthy lifestyle every great once-in-a-while. Keep in mind you want to make it the exception, not the rule. To quote Thurgood Marshall, "I expect to die at 110, shot by a jealous husband."

Marshall, never someone confused with one of fit countenance, died at the age of 84 of heart failure right on schedule.

I have always been partial to the quote attributed to Frank Layden, coach of the Utah Jazz and notoriously fat and out of shape, when asked how he could let himself go and be such a bad example to his team of some of the most fit humans on the planet, responded, "When I die I want to be sick."

I also liked his quote, “I told him, 'Son, what is it with you. Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.”

post #27 of 33 Old 06-17-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Back in the late 1970s a friend's wife brought home a food technician journal from the office. Bet you didn't know that other than making film Eastman Kodak had a side business of creating food colorings and flavorings apparently from the by product of making film. They had full page ads in the magazine with ad lines that were hilarious something on the order of "your chocolate goodies will taste so much better with our 4-TZ-F11 chocolate additive."
post #28 of 33 Old 06-17-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Marshall, never someone confused with one of fit countenance, died at the age of 84 of heart failure right on schedule.

Thurgood was one of those who didn't practice what he preached. Me, on the other hand...looking forward to celebrating my 95th next year. biggrin.gif

Seriously, where my friends are talking of retiring because they're all worn out, I'm looking forward to wrapping up one career and starting another. Don't know about anyone else but I want to play with my grandkids and great grand kids withouth being teethered to an oxygen tank.

post #29 of 33 Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

20 years ago my very young girlfriend said something in passing while we were about to share
a small McDonalds Fry. "This is Madison Avenue's magic Recipe of 500 hundred ingredients,
designed to appeal to everyone and no one knows just how dangerous it is...enjoy" She was referring to
the oil used to fry. She was smug in the moment.

At the time, she worked as an intern at Emory Medical and obviously it was a tidbit of
info floating around the U from some professor that the students passed around like a
lyric from some stupid song. It was more about the cache of info than
the warning in the knowledge. We gobbled the fries
post #30 of 33 Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have always been partial to the quote attributed to Frank Layden, coach of the Utah Jazz and notoriously fat and out of shape, when asked how he could let himself go and be such a bad example to his team of some of the most fit humans on the planet, responded, "When I die I want to be sick."

I also liked his quote, “I told him, 'Son, what is it with you. Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.”
Classic lines.cool.gif

Quote:

Seriously, where my friends are talking of retiring because they're all worn out, I'm looking forward to wrapping up one career and starting another. Don't know about anyone else but I want to play with my grandkids and great grand kids withouth being teethered to an oxygen tank.
Great attitude....hopefully, you won't be hit by a cement truck on the way to work.tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

20 years ago my very young girlfriend said something in passing while we were about to share
a small McDonalds Fry. "This is Madison Avenue's magic Recipe of 500 hundred ingredients,
designed to appeal to everyone and no one knows just how dangerous it is...enjoy" She was referring to
the oil used to fry. She was smug in the moment.

At the time, she worked as an intern at Emory Medical and obviously it was a tidbit of
info floating around the U from some professor that the students passed around like a
lyric from some stupid song. It was more about the cache of info than
the warning in the knowledge. We gobbled the fries
I guess it's all things in moderation, including moderation, eh?wink.gif

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page