Styx - Return to Paradise (1999) Mastered with silent center channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-14-2013, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

So I have this DVD: Styx - Return to Paradise (1999)

http://www.amazon.com/Styx-Return-Paradise/dp/B00001ODGR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371290446&sr=8-1&keywords=Styx+-+Return+to+Paradise

Actually the real DVD is put away and I play the one I ripped to an exact VIDEO_TS folder on my XBMC HTPC (like my other DVD concerts and movies).

It's in Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3) and this 5.1 audio track is much fuller and better than the included 2-channel stereo track. The problem is that the audio mixer person left the Center completely empty. I know why they thought this was best, but I don't agree. I have many other concerts on DVD and something is almost always mixed to the Center. My Left/Right Front speakers are pretty far apart, and when I watch on the projector ... it's strange and empty sounding for no sound to be coming from my large Center (aka "the screen").

Yes, I've tried playing the real disc in the real DVD/Blu-Ray Player and it does the same thing. If you read the Internet reviews, you will see others complaining about the mastering job (and silent Center).

I would like to investigate re-mixing the tracks myself. Since I don't have the discrete center-track any more, I would like to try to re-create it (using the software). Worst case, I'll mix the existing L/R together (or parts of) at a reduced level for the Center channel. I need it compiled back down for playback. Back to DVD-Video is preferred, but some other format is ok as long as the audio/video quality doesn't change at all.

Does anyone know exactly what software I need to go about doing this? If I need to jump to another more specialized Internet forum, which one or what kind of topic would that even be?

Edit: Forgot URL link ... Added it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-15-2013, 01:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Try playing the 2-channel track using PLII Movie mode. Any sounds that would normally have phantom imaged at the centre of the soundstage will come out of your centre speaker.

Sanjay
post #3 of 5 Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Try playing the 2-channel track using PLII Movie mode. Any sounds that would normally have phantom imaged at the centre of the soundstage will come out of your centre speaker.

Yes, that does produce sound to all speakers channels, but it's only slightly better than "All Channel Stereo" ... since it's just the 2-channels track broken-up or matrixed-out to 5.1.

The 5.1 track sounds much better and fuller (even if it is really only 4.1).

To bad you can't play DD 5.1 in PLIIx-Music Listening Mode (and let it create the Center channel from the others). The problem is that the Center channel is there ... it's just completely silent.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-15-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Yes, that does produce sound to all speakers channels, but it's only slightly better than "All Channel Stereo" ... since it's just the 2-channels track broken-up or matrixed-out to 5.1.
Wow, it sounds completely different than All Channel Stereo to me. Vocals are removed from the L/R speakers and coming from the centre speaker, the surrounds are producing ambience. By comparison, All Channel Stereo has copies of the L/R channels (including vocals) coming from all speakers.

Sanjay
post #5 of 5 Old 06-15-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Wow, it sounds completely different than All Channel Stereo to me. Vocals are removed from the L/R speakers and coming from the centre speaker, the surrounds are producing ambience. By comparison, All Channel Stereo has copies of the L/R channels (including vocals) coming from all speakers.

Like I said ... slightly better.

Whether I figure out a way to remix it or not, the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track is the one that sounds best (and will always be played). I appreciate your posts, but I really just need help with my original question.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page