Arnold Schwarzenegger will be back for Terminator 5 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
1  2  3
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > Arnold Schwarzenegger will be back for Terminator 5
joeblow's Avatar joeblow 10:06 PM 06-27-2013
Apparently, this film kicks off Terminator 5, 6 and 7.

oink's Avatar oink 11:00 PM 06-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Apparently, this film kicks off Terminator 5, 6 and 7.
From your link:

Also of note in that press release is the absence of Schwarzenegger’s name in relation to this new film. That likely means he simply hasn’t signed yet, but if this really is a total reboot, maybe they’re looking create a new icon instead of relying on an old one. It’s unlikely, but possible.

Either way, would audiences really want to see not one, but three, new Terminator movies without some connection to the T-800, John Connor, Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese? That largely depends on the director chosen, the actors cast and how far they go with these new films. But, if Schwarzenegger is the star, how are they going to reboot what already happened in the other films? My guess is the obvious one. Some kind of time travel in the vein of J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek films that preserves the original canon, but also sets off a whole new timeline.[/
B]

Jdog35's Avatar Jdog35 12:19 AM 06-28-2013
Hmmmm...can't say what is giving me this feeling...but I have this thought that somehow, someway, The Rock is going to be anchoring either a villain or hero role in this new trilogy.
Jdog35's Avatar Jdog35 12:21 AM 06-28-2013
The more I think about it...the more I am reminded of Franco Columbu's brief moment as an infiltrator model in the first film...which further drives this Dwayne Johnson theory I have. Hmmmmm.....
smudge981's Avatar smudge981 06:12 PM 06-28-2013
Reboot: A six-letter word invented by Hollywood whereby they rescript a perfectly good movie in order to rape your childhood. Just add CGI to make you forget the storyline and dialogue are sub-par. tongue.gif
Tack's Avatar Tack 07:36 PM 06-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

.. T3 should have been a better film.

I don't know how you feel about "Fanedits" but there's a good one by Uncanny Antman called Terminator 3, the coming storm. He got rid of all the hack comedy and killed the impossible timeline stuff.

Still not a great movie but it plays pretty well and is IMO much better than the original.
zoey67's Avatar zoey67 11:40 PM 06-28-2013
TERMINATOR 5 now has a release date!!!

Skydance Productions, Annapurna Pictures and Paramount Pictures have jointly announced they will partner on a rebooted “TERMINATOR” movie, to be released by Paramount Pictures on June 26, 2015.

The first in a stand-alone trilogy, “TERMINATOR” will be produced by Megan Ellison of Annapurna and David Ellison of Skydance. Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake of Skydance will serve as executive producers. Laeta Kalorgridis (“Avatar,” “Shutter Island”) and Patrick Lussier (“Drive Angry”) are attached to write the screenplay.

Launched in 1984 with star Arnold Schwarzenegger as the title character, “TERMINATOR” spanned 3 subsequent films, which have earned over $1 billion at the worldwide box office.

David Ellison most recently executive produced, along with his partners at Paramount, “World War Z,” “Star Trek Into Darkness,” “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” and “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol”. A 5th installment of in the “Mission: Impossible” franchise is in active development, along with a 3rd film in the “G.I. Joe” franchise, among other films.

Megan Ellison most recently produced the Academy Award®-nominated “Zero Dark Thirty,” “The Master” and executive produced “Spring Breakers” via her Annapurna Pictures banner and has David O. Russell’s “American Hustle,” Spike Jonze’s “Her,” and Bennett Miller’s “Foxcatcher” set for release later this year.
oink's Avatar oink 01:10 AM 06-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Reboot: A six-letter word invented by Hollywood whereby they rescript a perfectly good movie in order to rape your childhood. Just add CGI to make you forget the storyline and dialogue are sub-par. tongue.gif
Oh man...I wish I could disagree.frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

TERMINATOR 5 now has a release date!!!

Skydance Productions, Annapurna Pictures and Paramount Pictures have jointly announced they will partner on a rebooted “TERMINATOR” movie, to be released by Paramount Pictures on June 26, 2015.
"rebooted".....mad.gif
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo 05:41 AM 06-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

I don't know how you feel about "Fanedits" but there's a good one by Uncanny Antman called Terminator 3, the coming storm. He got rid of all the hack comedy and killed the impossible timeline stuff.

Still not a great movie but it plays pretty well and is IMO much better than the original.

I don't agree with the idea of "fanedits"... As an artist myself (hopefully this doesn't come across as pretentious), I wouldn't want my work butchered just because some guys don't like the original version. I have respect for the filmmakers' work, even when I don't agree with some of their decisions. I know some of these edits must be cool and interesting to watch, it's just a little principle of mine wink.gif ....As for T3, the whole film, very average, is saved by its ending. If only they had cast a more charismatic actor for John Connor. And Arnold was already too old, in fact they should have made a third Terminator maybe 3 or 4 years after T2 imo. But well, if, if, if....

Now regarding this whole reboot thing, I think one important thing to consider for the filmmakers is this: if we are to reboot the franchise, how do we want to portray the Terminator? Does it need to be a bulked-up actor like Schwarzenegger was? Maybe , maybe not, I don't have the answer, but that's something I sure would ask as a producer... Usually a good reboot is a movie where they go back to the original concept while giving it a newer, fresh vibe. So please, no more "good Terminators" and silly one-liners... This character is supposed to be the ultimate bad buy ; and despite a minuscule budget, that's what the first film managed to achieve. I don't mind a bigger budget, bigger visuals, bigger everything, on the contrary, but the franchise's premise is time travel and invincible killing machine. Then let's go back to this. smile.gif
smudge981's Avatar smudge981 08:07 AM 06-29-2013
Quote:

I don't agree with the idea of "fanedits"... As an artist myself (hopefully this doesn't come across as pretentious), I wouldn't want my work butchered just because some guys don't like the original version. I have respect for the filmmakers' work, even when I don't agree with some of their decisions. I know some of these edits must be cool and interesting to watch, it's just a little principle of mine wink.gif ....As for T3, the whole film, very average, is saved by its ending. If only they had cast a more charismatic actor for John Connor. And Arnold was already too old, in fact they should have made a third Terminator maybe 3 or 4 years after T2 imo. But well, if, if, if....

Now regarding this whole reboot thing, I think one important thing to consider for the filmmakers is this: if we are to reboot the franchise, how do we want to portray the Terminator? Does it need to be a bulked-up actor like Schwarzenegger was? Maybe , maybe not, I don't have the answer, but that's something I sure would ask as a producer... Usually a good reboot is a movie where they go back to the original concept while giving it a newer, fresh vibe. So please, no more "good Terminators" and silly one-liners... This character is supposed to be the ultimate bad buy ; and despite a minuscule budget, that's what the first film managed to achieve. I don't mind a bigger budget, bigger visuals, bigger everything, on the contrary, but the franchise's premise is time travel and invincible killing machine. Then let's go back to this. smile.gif

For some odd reason, the old Ernie Kovacs quote comes to mind - "There's a standard formula for success in the entertainment medium and that is, 'Beat it to death if it succeeds'."
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo 08:20 AM 06-29-2013
Quote:

For some odd reason, the old Ernie Kovacs quote comes to mind - "There's a standard formula for success in the entertainment medium and that is, 'Beat it to death if it succeeds'."

Oh I agree.... Personally I wouldn't touch the Terminator franchise anymore. But if they're going to do it, then I hope they come up with something interesting and not just a rehash of the previous entries.
smudge981's Avatar smudge981 09:17 AM 06-29-2013
Quote:

Oh I agree.... Personally I wouldn't touch the Terminator franchise anymore. But if they're going to do it, then I hope they come up with something interesting and not just a rehash of the previous entries.

We hope but what eventually happens? I think we've all held our breath with each and every remake over the years, only to see Hollyweird screw the proverbial pooch on the vast majority.
Matt_Stevens's Avatar Matt_Stevens 01:44 PM 06-29-2013
This sounds pathetic. I predict a huge box office disaster.
thehun's Avatar thehun 01:40 AM 06-30-2013
Agreed, just when you thought that Hollywood can't do any more foolish you read this.
oink's Avatar oink 03:58 AM 06-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I predict a huge box office disaster.
Of course you would.
Matt_Stevens's Avatar Matt_Stevens 11:28 AM 07-01-2013
Normally I'm right. I predicted it with WHITE HOUSE DOWN last winter. I also predicted LONE RANGER would be a giant turd of a mess and the reviews coming in show that to be the case.

I'm not saying i'm clairvoyant, but knowing Hollywood it's pretty easy for anyone who pays attention to predict this stuff. The Terminator has had its day and Ahnold is OLD. He's no longer cool to young people. Those in their 20's and teens have no wish to pay to see his films.
smudge981's Avatar smudge981 12:25 PM 07-01-2013
Quote:

Normally I'm right. I predicted it with WHITE HOUSE DOWN last winter. I also predicted LONE RANGER would be a giant turd of a mess and the reviews coming in show that to be the case.

I'm not saying i'm clairvoyant, but knowing Hollywood it's pretty easy for anyone who pays attention to predict this stuff. The Terminator has had its day and Ahnold is OLD. He's no longer cool to young people. Those in their 20's and teens have no wish to pay to see his films.

Sort of like sports athletes who have had their day, retired, and couldn't stay retired. They come back and find it's not easy to recapture the glory days. By the way, I had a good friend of mine moving back to the area. Just couldn't handle the cost-of-living while picking up piece meal work. He'll get a job here but shuttle back-and-forth when work comes his way. He related that there are currently 350,000 SAG actors who can't find work. Geez.
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo 12:41 PM 07-01-2013
Quote:

And people in their 20's probably know him more as the ex-governor than Conan... I don't know these guys but in regards to "career handling", Stallone seems to have made smarter moves than Arnold... Having said that, I'll be the first in line for Escape Plan! It took so many years to have them both in the same movie we have to enjoy it while it lasts! smile.gif
archiguy's Avatar archiguy 12:58 PM 07-01-2013
Quote:

Sort of like sports athletes who have had their day, retired, and couldn't stay retired. They come back and find it's not easy to recapture the glory days. By the way, I had a good friend of mine moving back to the area. Just couldn't handle the cost-of-living while picking up piece meal work. He'll get a job here but shuttle back-and-forth when work comes his way. He related that there are currently 350,000 SAG actors who can't find work. Geez.

Ah-nuld could probably find success again in the movie biz. Just not as a leading man. He could make cameo appearances or become an adventure-flick character actor in his dotage. Granted, he'd always have to play some version of himself, because he's kind of limited that way, but parts will always pop up that he could play and he'll always be something of a box office draw. He just can't carry an action picture anymore. Sly can, though.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 02:07 PM 07-01-2013
JCVD made some of his best flicks after a break.
bcruiser's Avatar bcruiser 02:12 PM 07-01-2013
Quote:

I'm not saying i'm clairvoyant, but knowing Hollywood it's pretty easy for anyone who pays attention to predict this stuff.
Just curious, what was your prediction on Prometheus?
Matt_Stevens's Avatar Matt_Stevens 01:19 PM 07-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

Just curious, what was your prediction on Prometheus?

I am pretty sure I thought it would be good, not great and would make money, but not be huge. I was right about the grosses and I did like more than many here (who hated it).

But whatever. To each their own. For me, The Terminator is long a corpse. Arnold had to roid up and botox like crazy to make himself the part in T3 so now, at his advanced age, it's just a joke.
Papai2011's Avatar Papai2011 01:53 PM 07-03-2013
Arnold is Back, in- TERMINATOR 5: GERIATRIC DAY
Mission: To spend time in State Parks as an asthmatic/rheumatic/toothless/sagging old hack with a stick and spy on Little Sarah Connor. Hey that could probably work.
Next level: Proceed to Sarah Connor's Parent's home as Dear old Santa Claus. (Terminator tries to strangle little Sarah with a tight hug, Sarah stuffs bars and bars of candies and chocolates down the Santerminator's mouth, effectively causing cramps in his sagging machinery and skin. The machines then start malfunctioning and Santa/terminator dies from overexposure to sugar- Mission:Terminated!) Hey idea could probably work.biggrin.gif

Please Arnold, you're not in any shape to play a muscle-bound hulk any more, those days are past! Please look at yourself in the mirror before you embarrass yourself and make your audience cringe!

There's an alternate idea that Annapurna Pictures(Producers) is considering for T5- Arnold playing a family friend of Sarah Connor's parents and protecting them from the first ever Terminator sent, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, who is already in talks to join as the villain (and I'm guessing a Terminator). This gives Skynet the idea to use his likeness for future Terminator's. But even this logic has flaws. How would the Skynet in the future, know how a man looks in the past. The antagonist Terminator certainly wasn't capable of sending information back through time! Even if it had. The first Terminator would lok like a 60 year old Arnold than a 30-ish Arnold as seen in The Terminator, because the Arnie that will be acting out the character of this friend, will be a 60 year old Arnie, and not a 30 year one!
Deckard757's Avatar Deckard757 12:28 PM 07-04-2013
Hey, I'll go see it.

Am I expecting it to be on par with the first two films in the series? Christ, no.

But Arnold is the greatest damn action star ever and a hero of my youth.

Even at 60+ years old he's still a more convincing badass than these modern day pretty boy pu$$ies like Channing Tatum, Chris Hemsworth, etc.
Papai2011's Avatar Papai2011 12:43 AM 07-05-2013
Liam Hemsworth can play a ruthless Terminator. He has it in his physique and eyes!
oink's Avatar oink 01:09 AM 07-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papai2011 View Post

Liam Hemsworth can play a ruthless Terminator. He has it in his physique and eyes!
Good choice.smile.gif
Papai2011's Avatar Papai2011 12:43 PM 07-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Good choice.smile.gif

Ha ha, I should be a casting agent, what do you think, oh and without the couching of course. biggrin.gif

Having said that! Jurassic Park 4 is being rebooted(sort of), because its basically the same story- Park is opened, scientists come in, everything goes haywire and people die, then the heroes salvage what they can.
And I think as Dickie Attenborough won't be acting anymore( He is in a bad state of health), they have just the perfect actor to replace him with- Anthony Hopkins! Heck he can pull that "Dark side of Walt-Disney" part of Hammond quite well!
oink's Avatar oink 11:28 PM 07-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papai2011 View Post

they have just the perfect actor to replace him with- Anthony Hopkins! Heck he can pull that "Dark side of Walt-Disney" part of Hammond quite well!
If anyone can, it is he.
1  2  3

Up
Mobile  Desktop