post #1 of 88 Old 06-15-2013, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Details:
Quote:
Four years after the well-intentioned but dull Terminator Salvation, it appears that Skynet’s favorite unstoppable killing machine — literally — will once again make good on its promise to be back with new reports emerging of a brand new Terminator movie to start production in January of next year. What’s more, the original Terminator star Arnold Schwarzenegger has announced that he will starring in the next iteration of the long-running franchise.

“I’m very happy that the studios want me to be in Terminator 5 and to star as the Terminator, which we start shooting in January,” said Schwarzenegger at the 21st Century Financial Education Summit in Sydney, Australia.

More details of the fifth installment in the once-popular science fiction franchise are also emerging online. Deadline Hollywood reports that the movie will be a co-production between Paramount Pictures, Megan Ellison’s Annapurna Pictures production company, which purchased the rights to the franchise for $20 million in 2011, her brother David Ellison’s Skydance Productions, with each partner funding a third of the costs for the movie.

The combination of both Ellisons is an interesting one. Megan’s Annapurna Pictures has tended to focus on more highbrow fare like Paul Thomas Anderson’s The Master and Kathryn Bigelow’s Zero Dark Thirty, while Skydance was the production company behind big budget successes like Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol, G.I. Joe: Retaliation and Star Trek Into Darkness. Does the partnership between both companies suggest that the final product will satisfy both critics and the summer box office?

Well, perhaps. Last anyone heard, the script was being written by the minds that brought you Avatar, Shutter Island and My Bloody Valentine, after all. And two names have been repeatedly mentioned in connection with the director’s gig for the new movie — Fast and Furious franchise kingpin Justin Lin and Zero Dark Thirty‘s Kathryn Bigelow — though it’s not certain whether either one is involved with the project.

Nevertheless, the Ellisons and Paramount need to find the right director — or really, any director — quickly. According to both Schwarzenegger and other sources, the movie is slated to start filming in January of next year, and time really is of the essence in this case; in less than six years, copyright law will mean that the rights to the Terminator franchise will revert back to creator James Cameron in 2019, 35 years after the first Terminator movie.

With an early 2014 start date, the earliest we’ll see a big budget Terminator 5 in theaters is summer 2015, meaning at most two more movies before Cameron steps in to take charge of what may remain his most well-known creation. Given the lackluster response to Terminator Salvation — or, for that matter, Terminator 3: Rise of The Machines, the other non-Cameron movie in the series — perhaps that would be for the best. Skynet’s schemes seem to work best when its creator is in charge, after all.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 06-15-2013, 12:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Great to see Arnie is back, particularly after the nightmare that was Terminator Salvation.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3 of 88 Old 06-15-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

He was in T4, though briefly. He was also in T3, which wasn't so hot either.

post #4 of 88 Old 06-15-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

He was in T4, though briefly. He was also in T3, which wasn't so hot either.

He wasn't in T4. That was entirely CG.
post #5 of 88 Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Is Skynet getting a little old for this? Let me guess, Skynet has gotten a 'virus' that makes the machines get 'old'........ tongue.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #6 of 88 Old 06-15-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

Is Skynet getting a little old for this? Let me guess, Skynet has gotten a 'virus' that makes the machines get 'old'........ tongue.gif
Hey, even machines get old!biggrin.gif

How about Arnie as a beat-up T1?
Or as the original designer?
Or?

post #7 of 88 Old 06-15-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
As the 'original designer', that would be kinda cool oink!

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #8 of 88 Old 06-16-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I liked Salvation a lot. It was a welcome reboot after T3, imo.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #9 of 88 Old 06-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

I liked Salvation a lot. It was a welcome reboot after T3, imo.
T4 was better than T3 but still fell short, IMO.
post #10 of 88 Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Or as the original designer?
With his accent? No way. frown.gif If he has Berliner accent, that may be something else...
post #11 of 88 Old 06-16-2013, 11:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OK, then what WOULD be his role?smile.gif

post #12 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 12:39 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1035

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #13 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 12:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Not bad....

post #14 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

T4 was better than T3 but still fell short, IMO.

Fell short of "what"? tongue.gif What could possibly be a reasonable reference?...James Cameron's T1/T2? Well of course it fell short. It's James F'ing Cameron! Anybody's sequel is bound to fall short. I have my doubts that even James Cameron could outdo his own work at this point. wink.gif

As a standalone sci-fi movie, I thought Salvation was decent. smile.gif

post #15 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Fell short of "what"? tongue.gif What could possibly be a reasonable reference?...James Cameron's T1/T2? Well of course it fell short. It's James F'ing Cameron! Anybody's sequel is bound to fall short. I have my doubts that even James Cameron could outdo his own work at this point. wink.gif
Careful, those who have made that prediction before have been disappointed.tongue.gif

Quote:
As a standalone sci-fi movie, I thought Salvation was decent. smile.gif
Perhaps so...what I didn't like most about it is the lack of focus on John Connor.
T4, without Arnie, should have been ALL about him, not on the B.S. Marcus Wright character.
Consequently, it didn't even remotely seem like a Terminator film.frown.gif

post #16 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, instead of human Terminators the machines in T4 were more like human Gathernators.

post #17 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, then what WOULD be his role? smile.gif
Investor (as in providing funds for the movie). tongue.gif
post #18 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Fell short of "what"? tongue.gif
oink and joeblow took the words out of my keyboard. biggrin.gif
post #19 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not bad....
Ummm... bad. frown.gif "Architect" is supposed to be the nerd type, not the bodybuilder type.
post #20 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

Ummm... bad. frown.gif "Architect" is supposed to be the nerd type, not the bodybuilder type.
True, what if the role is as the original prototype Terminator...beat-up, not polished, primitive?

post #21 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

True, what if the role is as the original prototype Terminator...beat-up, not polished, primitive?
By definition, earlier model would mean younger.

young-arnie-10-1.jpg
post #22 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Great! John Conor better not send back a geriatric, botox faced savior robot. rolleyes.gif

The only way this will work is if A.S. plays a creator type role as many have mentioned.

David Budo
post #23 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Arnold is in a deleted scene in T3 playing an Army Sergeant that the T-800 was modeled after, though with a completely different voice for comedic effect.

Though deleted scenes aren't canon I suppose.
post #24 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I can see how some may expect a Terminator movie to revolve around Arnold and/or John Conner. However, I don't see that as the end of the line for what a terminator movie can cover. I thought Salvation was a decent flick in that we got to spend a lot of time with "Terminators", in general...older models, newer unanticipated models, and a secret infiltrator model. We got to spend some face time in J-Day land. That is something whose time had come for us to finally see, imo. Ok, I thought the water-bots were kind of stupid, though. smile.gif Those T-600's were brutal and badass, imo. I felt it put the scare factor (as far as being imposing and threatening) back into the Terminator role, after becoming so accustomed to seeing the other model (T-800 series) be the "friendly" protagonist all of the time. They were big, menacing, and crude...not even trying to pass as a human. No fancy techno-liquid crap. Just an unstoppable machine to be the "postman of death" carrying a giant rotary gun. biggrin.gif Also loved seeing those HK's flying around, and the big "Transformer" mech was cool, too. When I watch Salvation, I am just in Terminator world tech heaven, I guess.

I don't know about others, but the movie delivered to me in a big way! smile.gif The casting of Michael Ironside seemed odd to me, though. I liked him in Total Recall, for sure, but in this one, it just seemed off to me. I also thought the CG Arnie was a bold achievement in a movie.

Aside from all of the tech and eye-candy, there was even a strong emotional component to make the movie "mean something"...at least it did to me. Yeah, so it revolved around Marcus Wright, but I believe he did have an important story to tell. It was not of being a machine, but one of being a Human, as it deals with a "second chance", Redemption, transcending beyond the context of your "parts", and finally, final Sacrifice of your heartiest part (no pun intended) to be donated in a manner that Marcus deemed righteous and fitting, as opposed to what Cyberdyne Systems did with his parts the first time around.

The most memorable line I take from the movie, after Dr. Kogan patronizes Marcus that his donation will go to great use. He tells her, "I don't care...just cut me up into pieces until there is nothing left."...something like that, but you get the point. The line just resonates in me like a tuning fork, as far as my own feelings to this world and society. wink.gif
d_m1010 likes this.

post #25 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Honestly... and I hate saying this being a huge fan of the Terminator series.

Is anyone else sick of John Connor and supposed how damn 'important' he is? As I saw in T4, he wasn't really. Or ever. tongue.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #26 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Exactly!...so much is told of the great leader he will be, but we never get much past the alluding part. He's had his chance! When a great hero script comes along for John Conner, I'm all for seeing it, but until then, there's plenty of other neat stuff to focus on, imo. Terminator is SO MUCH MORE than just one guy who will someday become the leader of the Resistance.

In T4, he is pivotal, but not central. Pivotal is still important. Sometimes that is what makes a great man, right? He made the right decision at the right time, and it made all the difference to the survival of Kyle Reese and the hedge bet that put a few eggs outside the basket, where it was assumed a deactivation signal alone would be SkyNet's end (which turned out to be a clever ruse to lead SkyNet to annihilate the top leadership of the humans, altogether).

post #27 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

Ok, I can see how some may expect a Terminator movie to revolve around Arnold and/or John Conner. However, I don't see that as the end of the line for what a terminator movie can cover. I thought Salvation was a decent flick in that we got to spend a lot of time with "Terminators", in general...older models, newer unanticipated models, and a secret infiltrator model. We got to spend some face time in J-Day land. That is something whose time had come for us to finally see, imo. Ok, I thought the water-bots were kind of stupid, though. smile.gif Those T-600's were brutal and badass, imo. I felt it put the scare factor (as far as being imposing and threatening) back into the Terminator role, after becoming so accustomed to seeing the other model (T-800 series) be the "friendly" protagonist all of the time. They were big, menacing, and crude...not even trying to pass as a human. No fancy techno-liquid crap. Just an unstoppable machine to be the "postman of death" carrying a giant rotary gun. biggrin.gif Also loved seeing those HK's flying around, and the big "Transformer" mech was cool, too. When I watch Salvation, I am just in Terminator world tech heaven, I guess.

I don't know about others, but the movie delivered to me in a big way! smile.gif The casting of Michael Ironside seemed odd to me, though. I liked him in Total Recall, for sure, but in this one, it just seemed off to me. I also thought the CG Arnie was a bold achievement in a movie.

Aside from all of the tech and eye-candy, there was even a strong emotional component to make the movie "mean something"...at least it did to me. Yeah, so it revolved around Marcus Wright, but I believe he did have an important story to tell. It was not of being a machine, but one of being a Human, as it deals with a "second chance", Redemption, transcending beyond the context of your "parts", and finally, final Sacrifice of your heartiest part (no pun intended) to be donated in a manner that Marcus deemed righteous and fitting, as opposed to what Cyberdyne Systems did with his parts the first time around.

The most memorable line I take from the movie, after Dr. Kogan patronizes Marcus that his donation will go to great use. He tells her, "I don't care...just cut me up into pieces until there is nothing left."...something like that, but you get the point. The line just resonates in me like a tuning fork, as far as my own feelings to this world and society. wink.gif
. I thought Salvation was pretty decent as well. I enjoyed all of the tech and most of all the "postman of death". A Very cool film indeed.
Mr. Hanky likes this.

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
post #28 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

...and we got that recording of Christian Bale in an epic meltdown on set. That is just gravy!

post #29 of 88 Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is anyone else sick of John Connor and supposed how damn 'important' he is? As I saw in T4, he wasn't really. Or ever. tongue.gif
It's hard to argue that.

Theoretically, JC was supposed to be the guy who saves mankind from extinction.
The 4th chapter (T4) was to be where he struts his stuff.
Unfortunately, he ends up doing not a helluva lot.rolleyes.gif

post #30 of 88 Old 06-18-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:

Honestly... and I hate saying this being a huge fan of the Terminator series.

Yeah, +1 on this. I really wanted to like this but, imo, the JC element of the movie was it's worst part. Maybe I'll dust it off the shelf and see if I like it any more a few years later.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page