post #181 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Maybe in this day and age, people don't think in terms of albums. Kind of sad, really.

Not really. Maybe to those that want to hold onto the past, but life and technology move forward. What would be really sad would be not having access to music. I have fond memories spinning albums, looking at and reading the covers, but I love the ability to go anywhere in the world, do pretty much anything I want to do, and have immediate access to all of my music via any of the portable devices we have at our disposal. It wasn't that long ago that we were unable to do that. To think that this current generation never experienced vinyl/albums and somehow their life experience is less than is stretching it, IMO. I love nostalgia, but I don't need to ride a horse, which I have, to know what it was like before the automobile came along. YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Not really. Maybe to those that want to hold onto the past, but life and technology move forward. What would be really sad would be not having access to music. I have fond memories spinning albums, looking at and reading the covers, but I love the ability to go anywhere in the world, do pretty much anything I want to do, and have immediate access to all of my music via any of the portable devices we have at our disposal. It wasn't that long ago that we were unable to do that. To think that this current generation never experienced vinyl/albums and somehow their life experience is less than is stretching it, IMO. I love nostalgia, but I don't need to ride a horse, which I have, to know what it was like before the automobile came along. YMMV.

I don't think it's about about nostalgia, but rather about an "album" as a whole entity, not just random songs. I use the iTunes store all the time and I enjoy buying complete albums. Even bands and artists, except a few of them, often don't do their music as "part of an album". Most of the pop stuff sound like a compilation these days with no cohesion between songs. I like this idea of listening to music, not simply consuming it.
Kilgore likes this.
post #183 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the ability to buy individual songs versus having to buy the album. That wasn't the case when I was younger because my tastes were much more limited, so buying an album was no big deal. Now, my enjoyment of music has greatly expanded to genres that I would have been turned off to years ago. I may like one song of a particular artist and not really care for anything else that artist does. I can now buy that individual song, whereas decades ago I couldn't. If I had to buy every album today my music collection would be greatly diminished.
post #184 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Quote:

I like the ability to buy individual songs versus having to buy the album. That wasn't the case when I was younger because my tastes were much more limited, so buying an album was no big deal. Now, my enjoyment of music has greatly expanded to genres that I would have been turned off to years ago. I may like one song of a particular artist and not really care for anything else that artist does. I can now buy that individual song, whereas decades ago I couldn't. If I had to buy every album today my music collection would be greatly diminished.

I guess you never heard of these things, which were available since 1949:

Also, I feel sorry for the generation of people who haven't had the pleasure of listening to albums like Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Abbey Road, etc in their entirety from start to finish, and only know these masterful creations in 3 minute snippets, completely out of order, and out of context.
post #185 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I rarely bought a 45 because the groups I liked always had a lot of good songs on an album. I thought it was because I had good taste in music and the music gods were awarding me. biggrin.gif I've only bought around $250 worth of iTune singles with an album or two thrown in, very modest compared to most, but if I had to buy the albums that would be pushing $2K. No way I would do that.
post #186 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, I feel sorry for the generation of people who haven't had the pleasure of listening to albums like Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Abbey Road, etc in their entirety from start to finish, and only know these masterful creations in 3 minute snippets, completely out of order, and out of context.

I recently bought the vinyl version of Dark Side Of The Moon, and it reminded me how much our listening habits have changed over the years. Albums like this and the ones you mentioned couldn't be done today. Nothing really wrong with that, that's just how it is. The most creative artists today still pay attention though, and I can't imagine buying just a few songs from Depeche Mode or Muse for example, it has to be the whole album.
Quote:

I rarely bought a 45 because the groups I liked always had a lot of good songs on an album. I thought it was because I had good taste in music and the music gods were awarding me. biggrin.gif I've only bought around $250 worth of iTune singles with an album or two thrown in, very modest compared to most, but if I had to buy the albums that would be pushing $2K. No way I would do that.

Me too of course. ...or I "complete" the album later. wink.gif ...Speaking of which, the only song I want from The Wolf Of Wall Street soundtrack is Purcell's King Arthur, but they haven't included it! (slowly trying to get back on topic tongue.gif)
post #187 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

While CD sales keep falling, vinyl sales continue to rise. David Bowie just released a new vinyl single (picture disc!) last week!

post #188 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I don't get you.

On Queen's album "News of the World", "We Will Rock You" is Track 1, and "We Are the Champions" is Track 2. There is no pause between them. I have always considered them as two parts of the same tune, ever since I first heard the album back in 1977. These two tunes belong together. In fact, when "We Are the Champions" was released as a single, "We Will Rock You" was the B-side.

Maybe in this day and age, people don't think in terms of albums. Kind of sad, really.
What part of "seem like", "unofficial" and "kind of" don't you understand?
FYI, I am old enough to have heard the vinyl version of that album when it was released.
post #189 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Do people even know both songs are from the same album?
Slightly OT, but +1000 anyway! smile.gif
Not as sad as Tom Cruise no longer taking on high school student role even though he can still pull it off... smile.gif
post #190 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

Not as sad as Tom Cruise no longer taking on high school student role even though he can still pull it off... smile.gif

I'm surprised you haven't made a new reply in the Edge of Tomorrow thread after I posted the new trailer - I'm disappointed.

By the way, re: Queen, I'm sure there are A LOT of people who don't know both songs are from the same album, and by "people" I didn't particularly mean you.
post #191 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm surprised you haven't made a new reply in the Edge of Tomorrow thread after I posted the new trailer - I'm disappointed.
Patience is a virtue. wink.gif
Quote:
By the way, re: Queen, I'm sure there are A LOT of people who don't know both songs are from the same album, and by "people" I didn't particularly mean you.
You are sure, eh. Just curious, which survey result did you get that from?
post #192 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are sure, eh. Just curious, which survey result did you get that from?

Here we go again!... When I bought The Right Stuff, the clerk had never heard of the movie before. I've met people who didn't know Jennifer Lopez made a song that was originally an 80s major one-hit wonder, or that "C'mon Feel The Noize" was originally from a band called Slade and was not written by Quiet Riot, or that Madonna's Hung Up came from ABBA... I could continue but I'm sure (oops) you see the pattern... So yes, I, am sure many people (I hope we can assume that means the same as "a lot", and also doesn't mean "all") don't know about We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions, even if they obvioulsy know the songs.
post #193 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Woah a Beatles single from 1949, what collector snagged that.. biggrin.gifeek.gifbiggrin.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #194 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So yes, I, am sure many people (I hope we can assume that means the same as "a lot", and also doesn't mean "all") don't know about We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions, even if they obvioulsy know the songs.
Translation: you don't know what you are talking about.

Got it. It's so difficult to get answers from you... rolleyes.gif
post #195 of 260 Old 04-29-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

iirc eleanor rigby on flip side

I remember the penny lane/strawberry fields 45

the beatles failed on the concept back then that the "b" side of a 45 was supposed to be crap

neflixis our nemesis
post #196 of 260 Old 04-30-2014, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Translation: you don't know what you are talking about.

Got it. It's so difficult to get answers from you... rolleyes.gif

LOL! I don't know what I'm talking about.....Oh man...please! Not again! (anyone wondering why I'm saying this and having a few minutes to waste please take a look at this thread and have fun!)

See I gave you an answer. Except it wasn't the answer you wanted. And you desperately need to show to the entire AVS community or at least the few people who read these forums that you. are. right. That's fine. Most of your posts are built around this little concept. Yes, I said "most" this time. And you won't like that word I'm....sure of it!!!!!. Links! Quotes! Numbers! Statistics! Surveys! I should know better!

What's your problem bcruiser? I mean really. Did I do something to you somehow? [pause] ...nope, don't think so. Do you know me? [longer and slightly more stressful pause] ....I'm quite sure you don't. Yet 'I'm sure" of so many stupid things lately I should be more careful with words! Can't you have a conversation without niticking every single word in a sentence and asking for quotes, links, survey results to "back it up"? Do I have the right the tell what I think in a public forum? ...whoa whoa whoa stop right there you fool! Let me explore the possibilities for your next post: "Now it's what you think. Interesting. You said "I'm sure" and now it's "what I think" 2 different things. When you contradict yourself like this in such a short amount of time you're losing, inevitably, the tiny bit of credibility you thought you have before." Expecting it any minute now! I am....wait for it.....sure of it! Ha! rolleyes.gif
Tack likes this.
post #197 of 260 Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

the beatles failed on the concept back then that the "b" side of a 45 was supposed to be crap

hehe...and not to mention the Beach Boys' "Don't worry baby"/"I get around"! smile.gif
post #198 of 260 Old 04-30-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

LOL! I don't know what I'm talking about.....Oh man...please! Not again! (anyone wondering why I'm saying this and having a few minutes to waste please take a look at this thread and have fun!)

See I gave you an answer. Except it wasn't the answer you wanted. And you desperately need to show to the entire AVS community or at least the few people who read these forums that you. are. right. That's fine. Most of your posts are built around this little concept. Yes, I said "most" this time. And you won't like that word I'm....sure of it!!!!!. Links! Quotes! Numbers! Statistics! Surveys! I should know better!

What's your problem bcruiser? I mean really. Did I do something to you somehow? [pause] ...nope, don't think so. Do you know me? [longer and slightly more stressful pause] ....I'm quite sure you don't. Yet 'I'm sure" of so many stupid things lately I should be more careful with words! Can't you have a conversation without niticking every single word in a sentence and asking for quotes, links, survey results to "back it up"? Do I have the right the tell what I think in a public forum? ...whoa whoa whoa stop right there you fool! Let me explore the possibilities for your next post: "Now it's what you think. Interesting. You said "I'm sure" and now it's "what I think" 2 different things. When you contradict yourself like this in such a short amount of time you're losing, inevitably, the tiny bit of credibility you thought you have before." Expecting it any minute now! I am....wait for it.....sure of it! Ha! rolleyes.gif
Quoted for record.
post #199 of 260 Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quoted for record.

moving on...

Back on topic and your earlier post when you mentioned that The Wolf Of Wall Street and American Hustle seemed like an unofficial pair, I think the characters in American Hustle were more "likeable" despite their questionable activities, than Belfort and his gang. What makes The Wolf Of Wall Street so engaging, imo, is the actors' performances and Scorcese's directing.

....I can only imagine what the film could have been with Tom confronting Leo!
post #200 of 260 Old 04-30-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Quote:

....I can only imagine what the film could have been with Tom confronting Leo!

Imagine no more....

post #201 of 260 Old 04-30-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Imagine no more....

smile.gif

...another gem from the Coens...
post #202 of 260 Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

moving on...
Perhaps you may be but the rest will move on when they move on.
post #203 of 260 Old 05-01-2014, 01:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Well I've received my copy and will be looking forward in watching this weekend smile.gif

Frank

post #204 of 260 Old 05-01-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Well I've received my copy and will be looking forward in watching this weekend smile.gif

The Franin is going to Wall Street. Look forward to your thoughts. Remember, buy low sell high.tongue.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #205 of 260 Old 05-01-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

A heads-up; TWOWS is not for younger ears.

As I posted in the HOTP Thread - TWOWS has a staggering variation on the f-word, 569 times. Another site puts it at 527. Total curse words - 687.
post #206 of 260 Old 05-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This movie has alot worse things than the f-word
post #207 of 260 Old 05-01-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
This movie is not suited for young audiences in any aspect. Consider this an X rated A-list film and you would get the appropriate idea on suitability for your intended audience.
post #208 of 260 Old 05-01-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

This movie has alot worse things than the f-word

Well, it does shed some light on how wonderful the human body looks without clothes. And it does. It truly does. Then there are the drugs. The wild parties. Driving under the influence. But the most offensive thing of all: Jonah Hill's fake teeth. Oh, the horror!

biggrin.gif
post #209 of 260 Old 05-01-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

I rarely bought a 45 because the groups I liked always had a lot of good songs on an album. I thought it was because I had good taste in music and the music gods were awarding me.
Once puberty was reached it was decidedly uncool to continue buying 45s. wink.gif

Quote:

That's mean, sir.tongue.gif

Quote:

smile.gif

...another gem from the Coens...
And where is my f_cking Barton Fink BD???????????????[/rant off]

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #210 of 260 Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

The Franin is going to Wall Street. Look forward to your thoughts. Remember, buy low sell high.tongue.gif

Thanks for the tip Wabo smile.gif

Frank

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page