Wolf of Wall Street - Scorsese - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Upcoming movie from Martin Scorsese:

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Scorsese = Blind movie ticket buy. I don't think I've seen a film by the great eyebrows that I didn't thoroughly enjoy.
Morpheo likes this.

David Budo
Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Other than the one with Leo and Sir Ben (just didn't like the plot), I agree absolutely.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Other than the one with Leo and Sir Ben (just didn't like the plot), I agree absolutely.

See, I really liked Shutter Island, and I went in thinking it would be bad or not good because of the mixed reviews.

David Budo
Old 06-18-2013, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 90
When I 1st read about this I was so looking forward to this, and now after that great performance of Calvin Candie by Leo I was hoping this was going to be something like an updated modern Wallstreet Michael Douglas. But the trailer doesn't get me excited, maybe is because of that Jonah Hill who is another one them annoying no talent hack in that group of buddies Seth rogen and J Franco and that whole cast from This is The end. Seeing him in this as one of the main character is a buzz killer. I can tolerate it as a side character or cameo but not this much.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

See, I really liked Shutter Island, and I went in thinking it would be bad or not good because of the mixed reviews.
The "mystery" just didn't intrigue me for some reason.
I didn't care at all about the characters or their fates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

When I 1st read about this I was so looking forward to this, and now after that great performance of Calvin Candie by Leo I was hoping this was going to be something like an updated modern Wallstreet Michael Douglas. But the trailer doesn't get me excited, maybe is because of that Jonah Hill who is another one them annoying no talent hack in that group of buddies Seth rogen and J Franco and that whole cast from This is The end. Seeing him in this as one of the main character is a buzz killer. I can tolerate it as a side character or cameo but not this much.
Did you like him in that Brad Pitt baseball flick?
Dbuudo07 likes this.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 1155
Quote:

Shutter Island was pretty good.
Dbuudo07 likes this.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
Old 12-24-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Old 12-24-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Likely the film is good in some sense, but nothing will compare with the doc Inside Job for
sheer "Get You Pissed" realism. Something about watching real bank robbers get away with
it and the bank is OK with the robbery. So is the USGov. Kinda makes these little movies pale.

Wall Street, Boiler Room, Margin Call - all entertaining, but .. fluff compared to the real thing.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 688
I am considering seeing The Wolf of Wall Street, after all how bad could it be with Scorsese directing al all star cast? One reason is its three hour length. That is so long, I am not going to commit to see it in the theater until after I have read the reviews. My daughter, though, whose movie tastes are usually close to mine, has already decided not to go. I also want to know what those of you who have decided to see to see the film early think.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Old 12-24-2013, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
Old 12-25-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

oink had a good idea I think. In the spirit of the holiday season, I will follow his lead with this a link to reviews of The Wolf of Wall Street collected at Rotten Tomatoes.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:

Scorsese = Blind movie ticket buy. I don't think I've seen a film by the great eyebrows that I didn't thoroughly enjoy.

Yep, a must-see for me too. I don't even need to read any reviews (not that they ever had that much influence on my decision of seeing a film or not, but sometimes yes): Scorsese, DiCaprio, sold!… smile.gif

Old 12-25-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Yep, a must-see for me too. I don't even need to read any reviews (not that they ever had that much influence on my decision of seeing a film or not, but sometimes yes): Scorsese, DiCaprio, sold!… smile.gif

There's no doubt that Scorsese and DiCaprio are a powerful combination. Still, I remain ambivalent about whether I want to see Wolf in the theater. I am really interested to learn what you guys think.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't even need to read any reviews (not that they ever had that much influence on my decision of seeing a film or not, but sometimes yes): Scorsese, DiCaprio, sold!… smile.gif
I don't give a hoot about professional reviews either, but some do (which is why I posted the links).

Old 12-26-2013, 01:13 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:

Spot on! Will definitely buy on blu ray.

Frank
Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Spot on! Will definitely buy on blu ray.
Same here.
As much as I want to see this now, I'll wait for the BD.

At nearly 3 hours long, my poor old broken down back would strongly object and that would take the fun out of it.wink.gif

Old 12-26-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Same here.
As much as I want to see this now, I'll wait for the BD.

At nearly 3 hours long, my poor old broken down back would strongly object and that would take the fun out of it.wink.gif

Good choice to wait for the BD. I decided to see The Wolf of Wall Street in the theater today simply because I had nothing better to do. Given how long it was, three hours, it gave me a lot to do. smile.gif

I thought the first hour of the film was wonderful, if eye-watteringly raunchy. About half way through, though, it lost steam and focus, although it occassionally continued to be very funny. From that point on, many scenes seemed to me to be filler and boring too. The film was saved from outright disaster, though, by Scorsese's brilliant eye and great performances from its formidable ensemble cast. All in all, though, I didn't much like The Wolf of Wall Street. 6 Stars out of 10.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:48 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Last time I saw film that long ( in economy class not gold class ) was Return Of The King and by the time that film finished my lower back had so much pain it stiffened up I could barley walk out. I had to take small baby steps.

Frank
Old 12-26-2013, 06:49 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Good choice to wait for the BD. I decided to see The Wolf of Wall Street in the theater today simply because I had nothing better to do. Given how long it was, three hours, it gave me a lot to do. smile.gif

I thought the first hour of the film was wonderful, if eye-watteringly raunchy. About half way through, though, it lost steam and focus, although it occassionally continued to be very funny. From that point on, many scenes seemed to me to be filler and boring too. The film was saved from outright disaster, though, by Scorsese's brilliant eye and great performances from its formidable ensemble cast. All in all, though, I didn't much like The Wolf of Wall Street. 6 Stars out of 10.

Good to know thanks gwsat. Who knows when you watch it at home you might enjoy it more.

Frank
Old 12-26-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Good to know thanks gwsat. Who knows when you watch it at home you might enjoy it more.

Good point. After all, when I see it again Scorsese and his brilliant cast will still be there doing their thing. Maybe the next time I'll be better able to deal with the films's over length and frequent flat spots.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Thanks - I love certain directors long cuts, but very few of his. The Aviator is an exception
for several reasons.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Thanks - I love certain directors long cuts, but very few of his. The Aviator is an exception
for several reasons.
+1

Old 12-27-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Because of how much there was to like in The Wolf of Wall Street, it was disappointing to me that Scorsese got carried away and added a bunch of far less interesting and funny stuff to his film, which resulted in a movie that was merely mediocre. We have come to expect better from the man but from my perspective at least, alas, we didn't get it.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Given that the film was edited by Thelma Schoonmaker, who has won 3 Academy awards for editing and has done 7 films with Martin Scorsese that were nominated for editing, this movie probably deserves a second viewing.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Scorsese got carried away and added a bunch of far less interesting and funny stuff to his film.
Exactly what do you mean by "far less interesting and funny stuff?"confused.gif

Old 12-28-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Exactly what do you mean by "far less interesting and funny stuff?"confused.gif

The thing was so long that I can't readily identify the parts that didn't interest me. I do recall, though, a very expensive and rather long storm on a yacht scene that didn't work, for me at least. Although the real Jordan Belfort did lose a yacht in a storm, the scene in the storm just didn't seem appropriate. I thought it was merely an attempt to have a lavish action scene in a movie that didn't need it. Sorry but right or wrong that was my impression. As to my seeing it again, forget about it! Three hours out of my life was bad enough but six? smile.gif That was a joke, sort of. I will probably at least start it again when it shows up on one of the the pay cable channels. The first hour would be worth that. Nevertheless, I'm making no guarantees that i"ll ever again be able to make myself sit all the way through it.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The thing was so long that I can't readily identify the parts that didn't interest me. I do recall, though, a very expensive and rather long storm on a yacht scene that didn't work, for me at least. Although the real Jordan Belfort did lose a yacht in a storm, the scene in the storm just didn't seem appropriate. I thought it was merely an attempt to have a lavish action scene in a movie that didn't need it. Sorry but right or wrong that was my impression. As to my seeing it again, forget about it! Three hours out of my life was bad enough but six? smile.gif That was a joke, sort of. I will probably at least start it again when it shows up on one of the the pay cable channels. The first hour would be worth that. Nevertheless, I'm making no guarantees that i"ll ever again be able to make myself sit all the way through it.
OK, I get ya now.wink.gif

Old 12-29-2013, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here is something very interesting I found regarding part of the REAL story behind the movie:
http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2013/12/wolf_of_wall_street_prousalis.php

Sponsored Links
Advertisement