Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 135 Old 06-28-2013, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
In my opinion, there are just a few......we DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE 'TIME FRAME', or the date pasted on the movie....just an FYI wink.gif

#1 BladeRunner....lots of influence from the far East, if you know what I mean (and I am not being racist by any means!)

#2 Soylent Green......look at the cost of food/water, and the increasing population....you never know what the Gov. is gonna do//

#3 Logan's Run. You can take this one or leave it: it could be plausible or just pure speculation, or something in the VERY far future...

#4 The Fifth element.....not really the story, but the tech/culture society of the future.....

#5 Mission to Mars...we all probably know that the 'face' on Mars is just a mountain, looking like a face...HOWEVER, there is a LOT that NASA hasn't told us yet about their recent discoverys......

There are many more, but I would like for you to think of a SciFi movie that could, or would turn out to be 'close' to where we are headed.....BTW wink.gif

#0 WATERWORLD, except for the jet ski's and the Exxon Valdees!!!!!!!

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 135 Old 06-29-2013, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Star Trek: First Contact - I think there's something to the idea that we're probably being monitored and contact will be made when we reach a higher level of tech and perhaps peace.

Moon - What more is there to say...

David Budo
post #3 of 135 Old 06-29-2013, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
At first I thought the movie that immediately came to mind wouldn't qualify because it wasn't science fiction. On second thought, it does involve time travel so it can be lumped under SciFi.

Idiocracy
darthrsg likes this.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4 of 135 Old 06-29-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 634
My first reaction would be 2001 - A Space Odyssey. But it was more about the realistic portrayal of space flight (no sound in space!) than any accurate prediction of future events. Where is the rotating wagon-wheel space station? Instead, there's just a bunch of tin-cans hooked together up there like a kind of flying Motel 6.

The most accurate portrayal of a possible future may have come from a TV series: 'Firefly'. The movie 'Serenity' went back to "whooshing" sounds in space - proof that movie audiences are less sophisticated than TV audiences, I guess. wink.gif
post #5 of 135 Old 06-29-2013, 05:40 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Is this about actual inventions?

In Fahrenheit 451 (1966) I recall wall-hanging 16:9 televisions. (In the book it was full-sized wall screens).

In The Children of Men they had moved to 2.35:1.

In the SF print world I remember much amusement about how the obvious things are missed. No one ever predicted pocket calculators. Heinlein's characters still used slide rules and memorized log tables.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6 of 135 Old 06-29-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Nobody predicted the thing that actually would change the world - the advent of the personal computer. Instead, the futurists predicted flying cars, personal jetpacks, and other flashy gadgets related to transportation. They never considered that the dissemination of information on an unrestricted global scale would be the real game-changer.
post #7 of 135 Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

My first reaction would be 2001 - A Space Odyssey. But it was more about the realistic portrayal of space flight (no sound in space!) than any accurate prediction of future events.
How about the dangers from the un-restricted development of technology (HAL 9000)?

Quote:
The most accurate portrayal of a possible future may have come from a TV series: 'Firefly'.
What have a told you about imbibing before noon?
And I'll say it again: brain cells DON'T re-generate....tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

At first I thought the movie that immediately came to mind wouldn't qualify because it wasn't science fiction. On second thought, it does involve time travel so it can be lumped under SciFi.

Idiocracy
LOL....the most chilling "sci-fi" EVER.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #8 of 135 Old 06-29-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 693
What about Brave new World? Maybe not physically but the spirit of the ideas are tipping towards those ends...

State controlled technology with a side order of control

Consumerist society

Priority of happiness over reality or truth

Sex over love

Dwindling personal connection and alienation

Designer drugs

May the Ford be with you.
post #9 of 135 Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Idiocracy

Funny that you say this, for the past couple weeks I've been thinking of this movie during certain TV commercials.
post #10 of 135 Old 06-29-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

this thread is really about movies that portray the society AND technology behind these past ideas....However, Let's blossom this thread with all kinds of ideas, from small gadgets (tricorder anyone?) to a basic premise apon what this world/society is Now AND in the Future.....LET'R RIP cool.gifbiggrin.gif

Oh, BTW, I think another movie to think about (without the stupid horror scenes at the end) is the movie 'Sunshine'......

Terrence

post #11 of 135 Old 06-29-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Nobody predicted the thing that actually would change the world - the advent of the personal computer. Instead, the futurists predicted flying cars, personal jetpacks, and other flashy gadgets related to transportation. They never considered that the dissemination of information on an unrestricted global scale would be the real game-changer.

And, just as importantly, other people's work without paying them for it. That's having a massive impact as well, and not for the better.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

post #12 of 135 Old 06-29-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's possible that Gattica might, unfortunately, be one that foresees some things to come.

Dean Roddey

post #13 of 135 Old 06-29-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

It's possible that Gattica might, unfortunately, be one that foresees some things to come.

That, and Equilibrium

Terrence

post #14 of 135 Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oops, I spelled Gattaca wrong. It's DNA and I always still get it wrong.

Dean Roddey

post #15 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have a feeling that something bad will happen as well, but then again maybe it will be good after all as I believe humanity needs a reboot.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #16 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

In my opinion, there are just a few......we DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE 'TIME FRAME', or the date pasted on the movie....just an FYI wink.gif

#2 Soylent Green......look at the cost of food/water, and the increasing population....you never know what the Gov. is gonna do//
Actually, the "predictions" in Soylent Green are way, WAY off base. It depicts a New York City with a population of 40 million in the year 2022, when it's actually barely crept above 8 million (hardly more than it was in 1950). Worldwide, the much-ballyhooed "population bomb" has turned out to be more of a dud, with Europe actually losing population, and overall population expected to level off by 2070.
post #17 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Actually, the "predictions" in Soylent Green are way, WAY off base. It depicts a New York City with a population of 40 million in the year 2022, when it's actually barely crept above 8 million (hardly more than it was in 1950). Worldwide, the much-ballyhooed "population bomb" has turned out to be more of a dud, with Europe actually losing population, and overall population expected to level off by 2070.

I wrote in the subject, that the time 'frame' of these movies do not necessarily need to be correct.....You are right in a way, but let's talk 2 or 300 years down the road???

Terrence

post #18 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I wrote in the subject, that the time 'frame' of these movies do not necessarily need to be correct.....You are right in a way, but let's talk 2 or 300 years down the road???
300 years from now, the world's population will have long since leveled off at between 9 and 11 billion, meaning the Earth won't be anywhere near as crowded as depicted in the film. We simply don't know what social conditions will be like then. There's no reason to assume they'll be worse. For all we know, clean, cheap, plentiful fusion power could make us better off than ever (the fact that some people DESPISE the notion of human beings having lots of clean, cheap energy available notwithstanding).
post #19 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yes, I DO agree, that while everything seems 'doom and gloom' right now and into the future, I like your take that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow smile.gif

Terrence

post #20 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:

We simply don't know what social conditions will be like then. There's no reason to assume they'll be worse.
I wouldn't "assume" there will not continue to be competition for scarce resources.wink.gif
History has shown scarcity brings about a whole host of societal problems.

Quote:
For all we know, clean, cheap, plentiful fusion power could make us better off than ever (the fact that some people DESPISE the notion of human beings having lots of clean, cheap energy available notwithstanding).
It will not become cheap if industry has anything to say about it.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #21 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I wouldn't "assume" there will not continue to be competition for scarce resources.wink.gif
History has shown scarcity brings about a whole host of societal problems.
Competition also brings about benefits.

Quote:
It will not become cheap if industry has anything to say about it.
I’d much rather the free market determine prices than government dictates, especially dictates coming from “consumer advocates” who are really business cartelists in disguise. Without government dictates, Standard Oil went from a 10 percent market share of the refining market in 1871 to a 90 percent share in 1880. In 1870 kerosene cost twenty-six cents per gallon and was bankrupting much of the industry; by 1880, Standard Oil was phenomenally profitable, and kerosene cost nine cents per gallon. That’s as “pro consumer” as you can get. But as I said, the idea of cheap, plentiful energy is hated by some people.
post #22 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Competition also brings about benefits.
I’d much rather the free market determine prices than government dictates, especially dictates coming from “consumer advocates” who are really business cartelists in disguise. Without government dictates, Standard Oil went from a 10 percent market share of the refining market in 1871 to a 90 percent share in 1880. In 1870 kerosene cost twenty-six cents per gallon and was bankrupting much of the industry; by 1880, Standard Oil was phenomenally profitable, and kerosene cost nine cents per gallon. That’s as “pro consumer” as you can get. But as I said, the idea of cheap, plentiful energy is hated by some people.

That's one of those types of statements where everything stated may be true, but those true statements aren't really particularly supportive of the argument being made. Kerosene, as a viable commercial product, was very new at the time, so like any new industry it's likely that prices would lower quickly as it became much more widely used and economies of scale grew considerably. And of course it doesn't speak to what the price might have been had there been more competition as well. And it also doesn't speak to what almost invariably happens over time when companies are not subject to competition, whatever might be the benefits in the short term. And it also doesn't speak to the complete lack of concern for the environmental impacts (or the societal impacts in those countries which we of the west pretty much raped in those times for various resources) in the extraction and manufacture of the product as well, which would have served to create an artificially low price, with subsequent generations actually picking up a lot of the bill.

As to your last sentence, I doubt anyone, other than people who profit from the rarity of current energy resources, hate the idea of cheap and plentiful energy. I doubt anyone here is one of those people, so I'm not sure why you would bother making such a statement in this context. The folks who would stand to lose the most from such a thing today, are pretty much the Standard Oils of today.

I think that one thing that most folks should consider is that the only seemingly likely way we are to get cheap, plentiful energy in any sense that matters over the coming thousands of years (which will still be a blink of an eye) is if we finally figure out fusion reactions. Though never say never, it seems kind of unlikely that any single company can afford to make that happen, and that it'll more likely be a breakthrough at an academic level, and so there won't be any ownership of the process, only of ways developed to make it better in this or that way, so that competition wouldn't be stifled.

OTOH, if it really is really cheap and plentiful, what's the commercial incentive to spend huge amounts of money developing the means to deliver it? After an initial period, it might not be really worth it for commercial concerns to invest in, and it might revert to more of a government sponsored utility, I dunno.

Yes, there are other enormous sources of energy out there, but I imagine that it would not be possible to get there without an intermediate bootstrapping step of something like fusion energy, to provide us the oomph to get into space of a serious basis where we can begin to take advantage of those truly enormous sources.

I guess also, OTOOH, that there will be more of a move towards localization of generation at the home level, which will reduce demand for large scale production, but I can't see as it will ever allow us to avoid having to develop something like fusion for the larger scale needs of industry. One of the big ways we will benefit from such a thing is not just how much energy costs us, but how much of the cost of the other things we buy is that of the energy costs to produce it and deliver it.

Dean Roddey

post #23 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hate to sound like a Mod here, but let's try and stay close to 'movie talk', as it relates to this thread....We could talk about energy for a billion years and get nowhere! wink.gif

Terrence

post #24 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I know it's not a sci-fi movie, but one movie definitely stands out for me as being extremely prophetic and was completely bang on in it's depiction of a future that has completely come to pass, probably more so than an movie ever made.

Network.

post #25 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

There are more people alive today than have ever lived.
KBMAN likes this.

post #26 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

never saw 'Network'.....what's that movie about?

Terrence

post #27 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
like any new industry it's likely that prices would lower quickly as it became much more widely used and economies of scale grew considerably.
My point is that “economies of scale” and increased efficiency were brought about by a private firm acting in its own interest (Standard Oil), not government edicts. That’s a historical fact that belies the “industry never lowers prices and becomes more efficient when left on its own” claims.
Quote:
it doesn't speak to what the price might have been had there been more competition
It’s stating the obvious to say “if another company or companies had been more efficient than Standard Oil, prices would have been lower”. The point is that prices got lower as Standard Oil increased market share via its greater efficiencies, something some people would like to believe “can’t happen”.
Quote:
it also doesn't speak to what almost invariably happens over time when companies are not subject to competition
the only time companies are protected from competition is when government does so, usually in the name of “protecting the consumer” or propping up less efficient but politically favored companies.
Quote:
As to your last sentence, I doubt anyone, other than people who profit from the rarity of current energy resources, hate the idea of cheap and plentiful energy.
Actually, you said who the “other people” are, when you said:
Quote:
it also doesn't speak to the complete lack of concern for the environmental impacts
Many environmentalists hate the idea of cheap, plentiful energy, because that will only result in more “raping of the planet” (as they see it).
Quote:
If it really is really cheap and plentiful, what's the commercial incentive to spend huge amounts of money developing the means to deliver it?
Why wouldn’t a company that’s able to deliver cheaper and more plentiful energy than its competitors make lots of money? Wouldn’t people FLOCK to that company, as they did to Standard Oil?
post #28 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Why wouldn’t a company that’s able to deliver cheaper and more plentiful energy than its competitors make lots of money? Wouldn’t people FLOCK to that company, as they did to Standard Oil?

But it would only be able to do that if it owned the process, which I don't think is particularly likely. Otherwise, it's a situation no different from trying to sell any other commodity product. it wouldn't be able to provide it for vastly less than others, since anyone else who got into the business would be able to do the same. You can look to the volatility in the airline business for a good example where it takes a lot of investment to be in the game, where there's very little actually differentiating one company's product from another's, and where it's easy for consumers to change to another vendor.
Quote:
[Many environmentalists hate the idea of cheap, plentiful energy, because that will only result in more “raping of the planet” (as they see it).

Well, traditionally it WAS raping the planet. Certainly things are better now, but I think we still need people on the other side who keep a light shining on how energy resources are extracted, because it's clear that, left to themselves, those that extract it will cut corners, and it'll be us who pay for it, not the companies (all of whom are in that 'too big to let fail' category.)

For something like fusion, I don't think that they would have any such concerns, because it's not a rape the planet type of resource. So it's got nothing to do with there being cheap and plentiful energy, but an actual concern for the quality of the ecosphere, which I'm sure for most of them is a very honest concern and one most of us should share.

Dean Roddey

post #29 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

But it would only be able to do that if it owned the process, which I don't think is particularly likely. Otherwise, it's a situation no different from trying to sell any other commodity product. it wouldn't be able to provide it for vastly less than others, since anyone else who got into the business would be able to do the same.
How does that keep anyone from using it? According to you, NO one will provide it because EVERYONE can. On the contrary, If some companies are hesitant to use it as you claim, that would be the perfect opening for those who AREN'T hesitant, which means they WILL jump in. It also seems to me that there would be plenty of ways to achieve greater efficiency beyond the basic fusion process. And who's to say that the process itself couldn't be improved on?
Quote:
You can look to the volatility in the airline business for a good example where it takes a lot of investment to be in the game, and but where there's very little actually differentiating one company's product from another's, and where it's easy for consumers to change to another vendor.
Prices are lower than they were when they were dictated by the CAB.
post #30 of 135 Old 06-30-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

There are more people alive today than have ever lived.
But far, FAR fewer than predicted in the movie.
Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page