Disney's the Lone Ranger - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 186 Old 07-03-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
wow, brutal reviews. worse than white house.

will disney take another bath on this one?

neflixis our nemesis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 186 Old 07-03-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Yeah, doesn't sound good. Maybe people are getting tired of Jack Sparrow getting all the parts that should go to Johnny Depp lately... wink.gif

...With that said, I've seen a few comparisons to John Carter in regards to its potential failure - I blind bought John Carter and thought it was very good, a shame it wasn't more successful...so...I'm giving The Lone Ranger the benefit of the doubt right now, and I'm sure I'll soon be in a theater to see it... About Depp, I think he's a gifted actor and I like him a lot, but he seems to apply the Sparrow mannerisms to all his character these days, it's a bit annoying.
post #3 of 186 Old 07-03-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Yeah, doesn't sound good. Maybe people are getting tired of Jack Sparrow getting all the parts that should go to Johnny Depp lately... wink.gif

...With that said, I've seen a few comparisons to John Carter in regards to its potential failure - I blind bought John Carter and thought it was very good, a shame it wasn't more successful...so...I'm giving The Lone Ranger the benefit of the doubt right now, and I'm sure I'll soon be in a theater to see it... About Depp, I think he's a gifted actor and I like him a lot, but he seems to apply the Sparrow mannerisms to all his character these days, it's a bit annoying.

I agree. The John Carter movie wasn't the fiasco most people made it out to be. I believe "The Lone Ranger" was a poor choice to bankroll. Doesn't help that the two main writers from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" are on board. I'm not making any predictions but when I start to see "Pirates of the Wild West" remarks, then I know all is not well. We will see.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #4 of 186 Old 07-03-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
This movie maybe the bomb of the year. It is an awful comedy that made me wince from the opening sequence through the final ending credits. It was simply incredible how many times I threw up my hands in utter disbelief and continued to sigh because it is so bad. At close to 2.5 hours long, no amount of editing could save this movie. It makes White House Down look like a great film, which it was not. The dialogue is simply dreadful and one can only wonder how a major studio, like Disney, would have the guts to release it. The studio executives who pre-screened it probably could not believe their ears and eyes which is why it has such low expectations at the box office. Yes, there was a lot of moola spent on the production design and costumes. I can't ever recall a Jerry Bruckheimer produced movie being such a flop. Last night a pre-order for the BR came to light. I am canceling my order. I would have to seriously consider whether or not i would take it for free. The only justification for this film would be for cinema students who should dissect this movie and realize that this is what garbage looks and sounds like. The movie has no heart. Absolute trash at the $250 Million level. This has officially sunk any possibility of a Lone Ranger franchise anytime in the near future.
post #5 of 186 Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Tell us what you really think.

Sanjay
post #6 of 186 Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

This movie maybe the bomb of the year. It is an awful comedy that made me wince from the opening sequence through the final ending credits. It was simply incredible how many times I threw up my hands in utter disbelief and continued to sigh because it is so bad. At close to 2.5 hours long, no amount of editing could save this movie. It makes White House Down look like a great film, which it was not. The dialogue is simply dreadful and one can only wonder how a major studio, like Disney, would have the guts to release it. The studio executives who pre-screened it probably could not believe their ears and eyes which is why it has such low expectations at the box office. Yes, there was a lot of moola spent on the production design and costumes. I can't ever recall a Jerry Bruckheimer produced movie being such a flop. Last night a pre-order for the BR came to light. I am canceling my order. I would have to seriously consider whether or not i would take it for free. The only justification for this film would be for cinema students who should dissect this movie and realize that this is what garbage looks and sounds like. The movie has no heart. Absolute trash at the $250 Million level. This has officially sunk any possibility of a Lone Ranger franchise anytime in the near future.

So, in the spirit of a western, let's assume you give this 3.5 to 4 Fresh Cow Patties out of 4?
post #7 of 186 Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
This looks dreadful.
post #8 of 186 Old 07-03-2013, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...With that said, I've seen a few comparisons to John Carter in regards to its potential failure - I blind bought John Carter and thought it was very good, a shame it wasn't more successful...so...I'm giving The Lone Ranger the benefit of the doubt right now, and I'm sure I'll soon be in a theater to see it... About Depp, I think he's a gifted actor and I like him a depplot, but he seems to apply the Sparrow mannerisms to all his character these days, it's a bit annoying.[/q

Good analysis on how sparrow is usurpIng depp

neflixis our nemesis
post #9 of 186 Old 07-03-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Jack Sparrow and Tonto are not at all similar. They come across entirely differently on the screen. It can be tiring to watch Jack Sparrow through 4 films. Tonto, on the other hand, is warped in an entirely different way. Depp does what he can with the role, but it is not nearly enough to salvage this movie.
post #10 of 186 Old 07-04-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

...I blind bought John Carter and thought it was very good, a shame it wasn't more successful...so...I'm giving The Lone Ranger the benefit of the doubt right now...

Do you happen to have Alexander, Gigli, Heaven's Gate & Battlefield Earth in your prime rotation?

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #11 of 186 Old 07-04-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Do you happen to have Alexander, Gigli, Heaven's Gate & Battlefield Earth in your prime rotation?

Have you seen JC?
post #12 of 186 Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you seen JC?

Yes, but Lone Ranger beats it by a country mile in awfulness. But both look very, very good visually.
post #13 of 186 Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Yeah sure I watch them on a loop......okay so fwiw, I haven't seen any of those, don't plan to either, except maybe for Heaven's Gate at some point (criterion's DC that is).
post #14 of 186 Old 07-04-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, but Lone Ranger beats it by a country mile in awfulness. But both look very, very good visually.

mmmkay... smile.gif How is Zimmer's music? Apparently he replaced Jack White last december, which seems very late for a movie of that scale - and he was already busy with Man Of Steel...
post #15 of 186 Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah sure I watch them on a loop......okay so fwiw, I haven't seen any of those, don't plan to either, except maybe for Heaven's Gate at some point (criterion's DC that is).

If you watch Heaven's Gate, suggest that you turn on the English subtitles. There are no other subtitles and it is there for a reason.
post #16 of 186 Old 07-04-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

mmmkay... smile.gif How is Zimmer's music? Apparently he replaced Jack White last december, which seems very late for a movie of that scale - and he was already busy with Man Of Steel...

Not nearly as good as Man of Steel's soundtrack. I can't remember a thing about the sound track. Maybe that is good?
post #17 of 186 Old 07-04-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Because this is a comedy, a bad one at that, it could have been even more hilariously bad with the mechanical horse talking, aside from its drinking a bottle of beer. It could have said, "Get your ass into the saddle, Kimo Sabe." Or "Let's go, you dumb sh*t."
post #18 of 186 Old 07-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Did anyone who followed the history of this production honestly think it was going to be good? C'mon.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #19 of 186 Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Have you seen JC?

As much as I could stand.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #20 of 186 Old 07-05-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

Not nearly as good as Man of Steel's soundtrack. I can't remember a thing about the sound track. Maybe that is good?
I can't remember anything from the soundtrack for Man of Steel, either. Not a good sign when music is so forgettable.
post #21 of 186 Old 07-05-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #22 of 186 Old 07-05-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I read on another forum that the Lone Ranger says his signature "Hi yo, Silver, Away!" line at one point, and Johnny Depp's Tonto responds by saying, "Don't you ever say that again. Never!" Is that kind of wisecracking response really the way to treat the character?
post #23 of 186 Old 07-05-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

I can't remember anything from the soundtrack for Man of Steel, either. Not a good sign when music is so forgettable.

Sorry, I meant the Lone Ranger soundtrack. As to Man of Steel, I guess all those drum whacks went in one of your ears and immediately exited out of the other one and didn`t register.
post #24 of 186 Old 07-05-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As to Man of Steel, I guess all those drum whacks went in one of your ears and immediately exited out of the other one and didn`t register.
A memorable melodic theme would have been preferred.
post #25 of 186 Old 07-05-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was Hans Zimmer's call for Man of Steel. Complain to him and the director.
post #26 of 186 Old 07-05-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I meant the Lone Ranger soundtrack. As to Man of Steel, I guess all those drum whacks went in one of your ears and immediately exited out of the other one and didn`t register.

Quote:

Quote:

Hans Zimmer already said for Batman that a big epic theme was what was expected (remember that the Batman Begins score was criticized in the beginning for lacking one of those "big themes"). However, as it had already been done in the past, he chose to go a different route, focusing on the overall atmosphere of the movie. We all know now that the TDK score is one of the most recognizable out there. He also said some time ago that he made so many epic themes in the past that he got a bit tired of the "big-action-epic theme" formula, favoring instead some instruments directly connected to the film in question and its context. While I also agree that it's nice to have a theme that you can hum in the shower, I think it's a rather clever move to go the opposite way - then avoiding a direct comparison with John Williams's Superman for example. In a recent interview, Hans Zimmer said he first refused to do Man Of Steel because he didn't want to compete against the iconic Willams theme, which to him is still one of the best scores ever. Zimmer has developed his own language and "formula" throughout the years, he has even perfected it. If a director wants something more melodic, they know he could, and would do it regardless (on the TDK album, "Like A Dog Chasing Cars" is not in any of the movies, but he chose to include it nonetheless as a response to the fans, begging for "the theme", part of it is heard in TDK though). I like his "minimal theme with a massive orchestra" sort of pattern. I think there's more subtlety in his music than one might think. In Man Of Steel, there are at least 2 or 3 very distinct themes.

I'm not "blindly" defending his work (Stranger Tides was one of his weakest), but I have listened to almost all his scores since Rain Man, and I'm just thinking out loud. smile.gif As for The Lone Ranger, I have yet to listen to it.
post #27 of 186 Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Obviously. If not them, then who? smile.gif
post #28 of 186 Old 07-05-2013, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read on another forum that the Lone Ranger says his signature "Hi yo, Silver, Away!" line at one point, and Johnny Depp's Tonto responds by saying, "Don't you ever say that again. Never!" Is that kind of wisecracking response really the way to treat the character?

You might consider seeing the movie and making up your own mind. There is little point in making a comment about a comment about movie that you haven`t seen.
post #29 of 186 Old 07-05-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You might consider seeing the movie and making up your own mind. There is little point in making a comment about a comment about movie that you haven`t seen.
I don't feel obligated to see a movie just to see if I agree with what others say about it. I do think the comment is a useful indicator of the tone of the movie.
post #30 of 186 Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I am not going to see this in theaters but the biggest thing for me is the casting and positioning of these characters. It would like having Batman Begins to mostly be about Robin.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page