Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 132 Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't know why I'm subjecting myself to this but here it goes...

As I've said a couple dozen times, if it's in the script but not in the movie then there's no sense referencing it because it's not in the movie which is the product we're talking about here, especially as it relates to the director's responsibility for that end product. So your direction that we "need to compare" the script to the actual movie is a non-starter.

Ok you've bolded the words "omitted" and "helped" so you're starting up the semantics game there - please enlighten us as to what what are the right words to describe the change from the script to the movie and the corresponding effect?

There's a funny parallel going on here between the movie and your method of "debate".

As to my recollection of details - it's flawed for sure, like I said it's been months and the movie didn't inspire a second viewing - discussing the movie has proven far more entertaining. However being off on some aspect of the details doesn't mean the broader argument is invalid - it really doesn't matter if the trillion dollars refers to the budget for the ship alone or the entire mission (how do you KNOW there wasn't rampant inflation between today and the time of the movie and a trillion wasn't really much money to them? Who talks about that, in what scene? Theatrical release or script?), or if it was the captain or one of his pilots who speculated about a terraforming or mining expedition, or whether it was Weyland, Vickers, or their unseen HR department who recruited the crew. It was still an expensive operation with a crew of spaceship operators and scientists being kept in the dark by the people running it. This isn't a court of law and we're not putting together a publication worthy document here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "bcruiser' 
Let me ask you again, did Peter Weyland do what you said he did?
How does it having been Vickers or the HR department rather than Weyland (I do now think I recall that he appeared in a video for the crew after they woke up that indicated he was either already dead or sitting the mission out back on Earth?) alter the substance of my critique?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp 
The real point was to get Weyland up there because for some reason he thought the engineers would be able to extend his life - making the choice to bring a bunch of dunderheads along all the more inexplicable! If they weren't needed they wouldn't have brought them and if they were needed they sure did a terrible job vetting them. Just another aspect of the movie that didn't add up, hurting it in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "bcruiser' 
Just wondering, does anybody notice something about greenjp?
Lemme guess, I should have phrased it "As gswat said, the movie has so much that "is impenetrably vague", that I, and make no mistake I'm only speaking for myself and not gswat, feel that vagueness was to the movie's serious detriment".

jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 Old 07-09-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 287
SunbehindcloudsGod_zps7f8ac257.jpg
post #93 of 132 Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Good one Aliens. No wonder the Engineers were getting ready to come back to Earth to kill us (us angering them by crucifying Jesus is one of the theories out there right?) It is the topic that keeps on giving and I'm as guilty as anyone smile.gif
post #94 of 132 Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

I don't know why I'm subjecting myself to this but here it goes...

As I've said a couple dozen times, if it's in the script but not in the movie then there's no sense referencing it because it's not in the movie which is the product we're talking about here, especially as it relates to the director's responsibility for that end product. So your direction that we "need to compare" the script to the actual movie is a non-starter.

Ok you've bolded the words "omitted" and "helped" so you're starting up the semantics game there - please enlighten us as to what what are the right words to describe the change from the script to the movie and the corresponding effect?

There's a funny parallel going on here between the movie and your method of "debate".

As to my recollection of details - it's flawed for sure, like I said it's been months and the movie didn't inspire a second viewing - discussing the movie has proven far more entertaining. However being off on some aspect of the details doesn't mean the broader argument is invalid - it really doesn't matter if the trillion dollars refers to the budget for the ship alone or the entire mission (how do you KNOW there wasn't rampant inflation between today and the time of the movie and a trillion wasn't really much money to them? Who talks about that, in what scene? Theatrical release or script?), or if it was the captain or one of his pilots who speculated about a terraforming or mining expedition, or whether it was Weyland, Vickers, or their unseen HR department who recruited the crew. It was still an expensive operation with a crew of spaceship operators and scientists being kept in the dark by the people running it. This isn't a court of law and we're not putting together a publication worthy document here.
How does it having been Vickers or the HR department rather than Weyland (I do now think I recall that he appeared in a video for the crew after they woke up that indicated he was either already dead or sitting the mission out back on Earth?) alter the substance of my critique?:

Lemme guess, I should have phrased it "As gswat said, the movie has so much that "is impenetrably vague", that I, and make no mistake I'm only speaking for myself and not gswat, feel that vagueness was to the movie's serious detriment".

jeff
Jeff, I'm going to ask you this with seriousness and it's not a trick question. Are you a retiree in his late 60's or older? I'm asking because I want to assess the situation before deciding what to do next. Thanks for your forthcoming answer.
post #95 of 132 Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

Jeff, I'm going to ask you this with seriousness and it's not a trick question. Are you a retiree in his late 60's or older? I'm asking because I want to assess the situation before deciding what to do next. Thanks for your forthcoming answer.
ha, no I'm not. Are you?
post #96 of 132 Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I almost always cast a vote on IMDb for any film I have seen two or more times. I didn't do that with Prometheus,though. There is so much in it that is wonderful and so much that is impenetrably vague, I couldn't decide on a score to give it. Here I am still talking about it, however. Make of that what you will.smile.gif
I think the thing with Prometheus that captures people's fancy is almost everyone who has seen it recognizes the scope of this movie is HUGE.

It's been a very long since a Sci-fi bit such a big hunk of meat off the bone like RS has.
Please don't throw rocks....but the movie that comes to mind, which ALSO tried to bite off more than what was safe, is 2001.

WAIT!
STOP!!!

I am not saying Prometheus is perfect (and in my opinion, 2001 absolutely is).
Sadly, there are defects in Prometheus that 2001 doesn't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

SunbehindcloudsGod_zps7f8ac257.jpg
You have always provided us with the perfect wry comment at just the right time.biggrin.gif
Morpheo likes this.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #97 of 132 Old 07-09-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #98 of 132 Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

For some reason, I feel unclean.biggrin.gif

post #99 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

For some reason, I feel unclean.biggrin.gif

Not sure I got the joke. *Scratching head* Care to elaborate?
post #100 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think the thing with Prometheus that captures people's fancy is almost everyone who has seen it recognizes the scope of this movie is HUGE.

It's been a very long since a Sci-fi bit such a big hunk of meat off the bone like RS has.
+1

Loved Alien, Aliens, and several other RS movies and really was looking forward to Prometheus. The building blocks so to speak were terrific but in the end it just didn't work so the disappointment was multiplied.

jeff
post #101 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:

Please don't throw rocks....but the movie that comes to mind, which ALSO tried to bite off more than what was safe, is 2001.

The simple fact that Prometheus can be compared to 2001 kinda proves, to me, that Ridley Scott has NOT "lost his damn mind". On the contrary.

Now if some people could let go of Fifield and the other dude, please!!!!! Everyone get it now, they were stupid because Ridley Scott and that giant hack Lindelof made them do stupid things, it's on them! I mean these guys lost it obviously, etc, etc. (for further reference, undisputable proofs and "facts", please refer to the other Prometheus thread). mad.gifrolleyes.gif

Nobody asked him to make a movie that was not a reboot or a remake... Well, at least he made it. Is it flawed? Yes. But there are still so much more to like than to dislike in Prometheus. I won't apologize for liking it.

rolleyes.gif
post #102 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Now if some people could let go of Fifield and the other dude, please!!!!! Everyone get it now, they were stupid because Ridley Scott and that giant hack Lindelof made them do stupid things, it's on them! I mean these guys lost it obviously, etc, etc. (for further reference, undisputable proofs and "facts", please refer to the other Prometheus thread). mad.gifrolleyes.gif

That was never a deal breaker for me. For some unknown reason, people tend to equate education with street smarts. Although most college educated people have both traits, I know more than a few people with master degrees and Ph.d's that fail in this area. My grandmother had a saying I still remember to this day. It was, "you can be book smart but common sense stupid."

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #103 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I won't apologize for liking it.
No apologies required or even requested smile.gif

The other thread does a good job of covering all the other (non-Fifield and the other dude) problems us non-fans had with the film, no need to repeat here.

jeff
post #104 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I almost always cast a vote on IMDb for any film I have seen two or more times. I didn't do that with Prometheus,though. There is so much in it that is wonderful and so much that is impenetrably vague, I couldn't decide on a score to give it. Here I am still talking about it, however. Make of that what you will.smile.gif
A lot has been crammed into 2 hours 4 minutes time frame and the pace is quick. Many scenes have subtle visual and verbal details that convey the story. If you miss it, the story can go off tangent or doesn't go anywhere. It forces multiple viewing (more profit). It is RS's well polished trick.

v No wonder this person can't get a grip and continue to go around circle.
Quote:
As to my recollection of details - it's flawed for sure,
post #105 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Oh bcruiser I thought we were on track for a higher level of discourse after you (or someone) deleted your post calling me a troll. Just had to get that last word in didn't you. Who's trolling now?

Multiple viewings didn't seem to help gswat pick up on all those sublte visual and verbal details you speak of to allow him penetrate the vagueness, or say to "get a grip" on it, so I'm not sure if it would have been any help to me either.

jeff
post #106 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #107 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

gwsat, after reading your posts, I would say you have a better grip on the story and the idea of Prometheus than most posters here. Don't let an inexperienced poster's mumbling about your grip startle you. wink.gif
darthrsg likes this.
post #108 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

The snarky digs keep coming, bcruiser just can't help himself.

Here's what I said about Prometheus when I first posted about it in the main thread:
Quote:
"Just watched this for the first time last night. The movie was made well, great visuals and production. The general plot and the themes explored were cool; if they weren't going to do a "straight" prequel, this was a good approach to take.

All that said I think it was hugely flawed for two reasons: 1) the countless acts of stupidity by the characters, inexplicable behaviors, etc. They've been gone over ad nausem so I have little else to add except my opinion that they're so numerous that the attempts to explain them away or rationalize them come across as pretty desperate attempts to defend the film. 2) the number of things that were introduced but not (or insufficiently) explained. I'm not asking to have my hand held through the whole movie, and I don't mind open-ended thought provoking subjects in movies, but this was just full of them. And they were important. I guess if Ridley Scott wanted this movie to tough on the Big Themes with Deep Questions that could only be partially addressed through multiple viewings, background Nietzsche research, and home video extras, he succeeded. Making a coherent, self-contained film, not so much."

and
Quote:
"There's a lot to like in the movie but I found myself face-palming for the characters so frequently I just couldn't get over it. It should have been better. Fix some of the god awful aspects of the script and add 20 minutes or so of cut footage (the movie is under 2 hours) and we'd be having a different discussion."

I still think it's a valid take and has a lot in common with what some of the people who ended up with more positive overall opinions have to say, in the original thread and in this one. But since I dare to debate some points with bcruiser apparently I'm a troll/senile retiree/mumbler biggrin.gif

jeff
post #109 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Not sure I got the joke. *Scratching head* Care to elaborate?

It's not really my place to interpret the ways of the Gods, but what I see is a chimp on a goat. Could be that's a reference to 2001, which I infer the Gods may prefer. Or it could be a metaphor for being alone in a vast wilderness, pondering one's existence and taste in movies. Or it could just be a chimp on a goat, which raises some interesting questions, like, why don't chimps ride stuff, and why did RS make such a silly, ponderous movie, when in the past he's done rather well at avoiding such things?

Or it could just be that I like the idea of a chimp on a goat, and found a way to use it. Or that Once Upon A Time In The West is one of the great movies, and people should watch that instead of worrying about Prometheus. Or that I can't tell if the chimp is wearing sunglasses, and I was hoping someone would comment.

It could be that I find myself oddly moved by the image, in ways I don't understand but sense are primal, somehow connecting me to another time that might or might not be real, which in some way connects me to what RS was trying to do with his movie but failed to achieve as well as a simple image of a chimp on a goat.

Or, you know, I dunno ..

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #110 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
laying low on this thread.

don't want to get my butt flamed

easy guys

neflixis our nemesis
post #111 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 65
When in doubt, always refer back to the Traudarian Prometheus Rant from imdb.
I'll be happy to paste it in if anyone missed it wink.gif
post #112 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Found it, thanks. Only up to page 2, had to eat dinner, but I love it when a guy with time on his hands gets a good hate on smile.gif

post #113 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

What's the name of the thread?

post #114 of 132 Old 07-10-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's not really my place to interpret the ways of the Gods, but what I see is a chimp on a goat. Could be that's a reference to 2001, which I infer the Gods may prefer. Or it could be a metaphor for being alone in a vast wilderness, pondering one's existence and taste in movies. Or it could just be a chimp on a goat, which raises some interesting questions, like, why don't chimps ride stuff?

Or it could just be that I like the idea of a chimp on a goat, and found a way
to use it. Or that Once Upon A Time In The West is one of the great movies, and people should watch that instead of worrying about Prometheus. Or that I can't tell if the chimp is wearing sunglasses, and I was hoping someone would comment.

It could be that I find myself oddly moved by the image, in ways I don't understand but sense are primal, somehow connecting me to another time that might or might not be real, which in some way connects me to what RS was trying to do with his movie but failed to achieve as well as a simple image of a chimp on a goat.

Or, you know, I dunno ..
Thank you for saving me some typing.biggrin.gif

post #115 of 132 Old 07-11-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Someone here has a problem understanding the difference between facts and opinions.

Biologists and geologists are scientists. This is an objective, indisputable fact. It is not a matter of opinion. You cannot disagree that biologists and geologists are scientists. They are.

Prometheus is one of the most abjectly stupid, insultingly awful movies ever made. This is an opinion, albeit an informed and virtually unassailable opinion.
thehun likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #116 of 132 Old 07-11-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Someone here has a problem understanding the difference between facts and opinions.
Not according to FN.wink.gif

Quote:
Biologists and geologists are scientists. This is an objective, indisputable fact. It is not a matter of opinion. You cannot disagree that biologists and geologists are scientists. They are.
I have been thinking about this.
After watching Idiocracy recently I gotta wonder....maybe we have this all wrong.
Maybe Idiocracy is a documentary and the Prometheus scientists of the future are an accurate portrayl.

Quote:
Prometheus is one of the most abjectly stupid, insultingly awful movies ever made. This is an opinion, albeit an informed and virtually unassailable opinion.
Nice.biggrin.gif

post #117 of 132 Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Someone here has a problem understanding what unassailable means
post #118 of 132 Old 07-11-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34

...From someone who loves Dune biggrin.gif

CW Hinkle
post #119 of 132 Old 07-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I wonder who...
Quote:
Millburn said "biology" not long before he was millburnt. He may have meant that he is a biology teacher, technician, sample collector or something else. It's up to the viewers to interpret.
Quote:
Prometheus is one of the most abjectly stupid, insultingly awful movies ever made.
To oink? Hmmm... I'm pretty confident that it's virtually assailable.
post #120 of 132 Old 07-11-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

To oink? Hmmm... I'm pretty confident that it's virtually assailable.
Josh was making a funny.wink.gif

Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page