Ridley Scott has lost his damn mind - AVS Forum
1 2  3  ... Last
Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion > Ridley Scott has lost his damn mind
Deckard757's Avatar Deckard757 12:36 PM 07-04-2013
First the abortion that was Prometheus and now he's hellbent on making a sequel to Blade Runner, which me and a ton of others consider the greatest sci-fi movie of all-time? No, no, no...scratch that. THE greatest MOVIE of all-time.

Good lord

And supposedly he's getting some jackoff who worked on The Green Lantern with Ryan Reynolds to help write the script?

Just go away, Ridley.

You gave us two masterpieces 30-35 years ago (Alien & Blade Runner), but you're beyond sad at this point.

Dean Roddey's Avatar Dean Roddey 01:56 PM 07-04-2013
I feel like you are holding back...
Deckard757's Avatar Deckard757 02:07 PM 07-04-2013
You don't know the half of it, slick.

Make a standalone sci-fi movie if you please. Hell, make a movie loosely set in the BR universe. But quit screwing with the classics by making these half ass remakes, sequels and prequels.
hoganj1's Avatar hoganj1 02:25 PM 07-04-2013
He will do what ever he wants, I guess, but I can't help thinking his time would be better spent restoring his neglected catalog (Abyss anyone?) for widescreen Blu-ray and DVD release.
John
Deckard757's Avatar Deckard757 02:29 PM 07-04-2013
James Cameron made The Abyss

The only decent movie Scott has made in the past 30 years is Gladiator, which while good, was also extremely overrated.

If we're talking medieval war flicks, then Braveheart sh*ts all over it.
Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo 02:38 PM 07-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard757 View Post

James Cameron made The Abyss

The only decent movie Scott has made in the past 30 years is Gladiator, which while good, was also extremely overrated.

If we're talking medieval war flicks, then Braveheart sh*ts all over it.

Gladiator is a "medieval war flick"? oh well...
Deckard757's Avatar Deckard757 02:42 PM 07-04-2013
A general during ancient Roman times forced to fight as a slave in the Roman Colliseum?

Yeah, I'd definitely say it's a medieval war flick.
oink's Avatar oink 02:49 PM 07-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard757 View Post

A general during ancient Roman times forced to fight as a slave in the Roman Colliseum?

Yeah, I'd definitely say it's a medieval war flick.
Here is the definition of "medieval"
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/medieval
Deckard757's Avatar Deckard757 02:50 PM 07-04-2013
Okay

So hows this...

In terms of pre-18th century war movies, Braveheart sh*ts on Gladiator.

Better?
Will2007's Avatar Will2007 03:11 PM 07-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard757 View Post

The only decent movie Scott has made in the past 30 years is Gladiator, which while good, was also extremely overrated.

I agree Gladiator was overrated; in fact, I dislike it very much.

As for other great films Ridley Scott has made in the last 30 years, I would firmly place Black Hawk Down in that category. It's one of the most authentic war films I've seen (in the sense of capturing what ground combat looks, sounds, and feels like). A big bonus is that it's a gripping, true story.
oink's Avatar oink 03:20 PM 07-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard757 View Post

Okay

So hows this...

In terms of pre-18th century war movies, Braveheart sh*ts on Gladiator.

Better?
People are very technical around here.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post


As for other great films Ridley Scott has made in the last 30 years, I would firmly place Black Hawk Down in that category. It's one of the most authentic war films I've seen (in the sense of capturing what ground combat looks, sounds, and feels like). A big bonus is that it's a gripping, true story.
+100000

BHD is one of the best war movies ever made....period.smile.gif
fjames's Avatar fjames 03:34 PM 07-04-2013
Matchstick Men and American Gangster are two very good movies. He's not a very good director, if body of work is the criteria, seems to me - basically he gets lucky once in a while.
Will2007's Avatar Will2007 08:35 AM 07-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


+100000

BHD is one of the best war movies ever made....period.smile.gif

Certainly. It's in my top 3, and I've watched it probably 30 times or more. (The other two are Das Boot and Band of Brothers -- I stretch the definition of "war movie" a bit to include the latter, but it's deserving enough to stretch it, easily the best TV mini-series of all time).
cornemuse's Avatar cornemuse 11:02 AM 07-05-2013
How about 'A war flick in the medieval style'??

I do agree with Deckard757 tho, Prometheus is a mutt
RobertR's Avatar RobertR 11:09 AM 07-05-2013
I have to agree that Ridley Scott's recent efforts don't measure up to what he was making in the Alien / Blade Runner era.
sog35's Avatar sog35 02:01 PM 07-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

I have to agree that Ridley Scott's recent efforts don't measure up to what he was making in the Alien / Blade Runner era.

it's expected.
Most peoples masterworks are done before 40 years old.
gwsat's Avatar gwsat 02:31 PM 07-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

I have to agree that Ridley Scott's recent efforts don't measure up to what he was making in the Alien / Blade Runner era.

I agree that Bladerunner was a classic film and Ridley Scott should do us all a favor and abandon his idea of making a sequel. That said, though, I think the quality of Scott's directorial efforts over the course of his long and prolific career has been remarkably high and that Gladiator was and remains a great film. One bad idea should not be the basis for savaging a great director's reputation, it seems to me.
mr. wally's Avatar mr. wally 02:42 PM 07-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that Bladerunner was a classic film and Ridley Scott should do us all a favor and abandon his idea of making a sequel. That said, though, I think the quality of Scott's directorial efforts over the course of his long and prolific career has been remarkably high and that Gladiator was and remains a great film. One bad idea should not be the basis for savaging a great director's reputation, it seems to me.

agreed

and re-watching prometheus on hbo last month confirms that it is a very good, but flawed movie.

it still soars against 80% of the drivel released by hollywood last year.

how many films last year challenged you to think at all?
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi 02:43 PM 07-05-2013
This is starting to remind me of those bands that really rocked the shyte back in the day and now are doing a come-back but their greatness has past so they end up playing at some crappy casino in Reno. Prometheus almost single handedly lost all my respect for him and now this.
gwsat's Avatar gwsat 03:20 PM 07-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

agreed

and re-watching prometheus on hbo last month confirms that it is a very good, but flawed movie.

it still soars against 80% of the drivel released by hollywood last year.

how many films last year challenged you to think at all?

I agree. Although I saw Prometheus in the theater and was underwhelmed, when I saw it again on HBO I was surprised to see that it was a decent film after all. Not up to Scott's very high standards, perhaps. but still not bad. The film was also helped by its large and talented cast. Prometheus received an average score of 7.1 Stars out of 10 from IMDb voters and I thought that was about right.
sdurani's Avatar sdurani 03:52 PM 07-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard757 View Post

and now he's hellbent on making a sequel to Blade Runner
Don't watch it.
jenkzy56's Avatar jenkzy56 04:11 PM 07-05-2013
Great Thread title wink.gif
Osirus23's Avatar Osirus23 04:17 PM 07-05-2013
I got the idea he was starting to lose his marbles when he initially tried to make Prometheus 3D-only, including home video releases.
smudge981's Avatar smudge981 09:50 PM 07-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

This is starting to remind me of those bands that really rocked the shyte back in the day and now are doing a come-back but their greatness has past so they end up playing at some crappy casino in Reno.

Hey, GK. A little respect for those casinos. I depend on them ocassionally for a living. wink.gif
oink's Avatar oink 10:56 PM 07-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

it's expected.
Most peoples masterworks are done before 40 years old.
In which art?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that Bladerunner was a classic film and Ridley Scott should do us all a favor and abandon his idea of making a sequel.
Actually, it wasn't his idea.
The rights were purchased by an outside company.
They announced they were going to resurrect the BR World and asked RS if he wanted to be involved.
His response was he "would rather do it than have someone else try."

BTW, Google has the official press release somewhere that the OP seems to have missed before his scream.

Quote:
That said, though, I think the quality of Scott's directorial efforts over the course of his long and prolific career has been remarkably high and that Gladiator was and remains a great film.
AGREED.

Quote:
One bad idea should not be the basis for savaging a great director's reputation
If that maxim would hold true, then no one would use the internets.biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

I got the idea he was starting to lose his marbles when he initially tried to make Prometheus 3D-only, including home video releases.
According to RS, 3D is how Prometheus should be seen.
Nothing wrong there, it's the Director's Intent.

However, The Suits couldn't go for that....they have disks to sell.wink.gif
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar Shaded Dogfood 11:30 PM 07-05-2013

Most peoples masterworks are done before 40 years old.

In which art?


Poets. The Romantic poets in particular. Possibly novelists.

I agree that Bladerunner was a classic film

I say it's extravagantly overpraised by just about everybody. It certainly looks good, however.

Gladiator was and remains a great film.

People think so primarily because The Fall of the Roman Empire has been all but unavailable for years- or at least an acceptable transfer of the beautiful 70mm original. Not that it's necessarily a great film either...
oink's Avatar oink 12:58 AM 07-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post


Most peoples masterworks are done before 40 years old.

In which art?


Poets. The Romantic poets in particular. Possibly novelists.
Thanx.
I am not an expert on Romantic poets, or any era of poetry for that matter.
TyrantII's Avatar TyrantII 06:30 AM 07-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard757 View Post

First the abortion that was Prometheus and now he's hellbent on making a sequel to Blade Runner, which me and a ton of others consider the greatest sci-fi movie of all-time? No, no, no...scratch that. THE greatest MOVIE of all-time.

Good lord

And supposedly he's getting some jackoff who worked on The Green Lantern with Ryan Reynolds to help write the script?

Just go away, Ridley.

You gave us two masterpieces 30-35 years ago (Alien & Blade Runner), but you're beyond sad at this point.

Joss Whedon wrote Aliens Resurrection. Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker in TDK.

meh.
archiguy's Avatar archiguy 08:01 AM 07-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Joss Whedon wrote Aliens Resurrection.

meh.

To his everlasting shame. tongue.gif
smudge981's Avatar smudge981 08:16 AM 07-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post


Most peoples masterworks are done before 40 years old.

In which art?


Poets. The Romantic poets in particular. Possibly novelists.

Also the sciences. It's also been pointed out you can stick a fork in these people once they get married. Just sayin'.
1 2  3  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop