Review: Jesus Henry Christ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-14-2013, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Didn't appear to be a thread for this one, so....

This is one of those movies that is of the Wes Anderson sort (i.e. The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic, etc...) in that it has that sort of gentle feel, it's somewhat absurdist but emotionally very touching at the same time, with highly quirky characters, script and visual style. I've loved pretty much everything Wes Anderson has done, so it's the sort of film I would like. A lot of other folks here have expressed similar tastes so I figured I'd point this one out so they could put it on their lists.

It's a common story, of a kid looking for his biological father, but of course there are a thousand different ways to skin that cat, and in this type of material, i.e. highly quirky, the number of ways is even higher than usual. And it's considerably more complicated than that as well, but that's the central story line. He comes from a distinguished line of dysfunctional family members, and the other folks he gets thrown in with in the process aren't much better off.

The actors are all excellent. Toni Collette is always top shelf. She can be funny and then turn on an emotional dime. The two kids are ridiculously intelligent and professional actors as well. I listen to interviews with kids like that and can't help to think that my primarily concern at that age was probably how far I could pee or some such thing, and they are so articulate and mature. Looks like this is only the director's second feature film, so that's pretty impressive as well.

Anyhoo, if you like this sort of thing, watch this one when you are in that sort of mood.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page