The Way, Way Back - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Search did not reveal a thread on this yet, so...

An excellent little coming-of-age movie with a really stellar cast: Steve Carell, Toni Colette, Sam Rockwell, Allison Janney, AnnaSophia Robb, Maya Rudolph, Amanda Peet, Rob Corddry; and Nat Faxon (of the lately lamented Ben and Kate) and Jim Rash, who co-wrote. And a really fine young newcomer, Liam James, as the protagonist, Duncan. The acting is superb from all.

It's a coming-of-age story, so it behaves like they all do, and therefore invites criticism for being a mass of clichés. But it really is a fine script, with fully drawn characters and no conventional happy ending (though one feels the characters have turned some meaningful corners). Steve Carell plays against type, playing a pretty dreadful person, and Sam Rockwell is hysterical as an aging bohemian who fights tooth and nail against growing up. Toni Collette is her usual peerless self, and Allison Janney steals all her scenes. And the beautiful AnnaSophia Robb is fine as Susanna, Duncan's love interest as a similarly lonely, older, teen with a similarly lonely mother and non-present father (and I must let my dirty-old-man flag fly as I note she is blessed with a truly spectacular butt).

The film resembles Adventureland but is not nearly so dark. And for some reason it's only playing at one of the local arthouses. Why it's not getting a wide release to all the theaters is baffling. I say it's worth seeing at the theater, and a must-see in it's afterlife.

CW Hinkle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-23-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 399
I saw The Way Way Back today and loved every minute of it. The film's ensemble cast was wonderful from top to bottom. I was particularly impressed with Liam James, who played the troubled teenager, Duncan. Steve Carell played Duncan's mother's boyfriend. The boyfriend is edgy and, often, his own worst enemy. I thought of him as the kind of guy one of my old law partners described as "wanting to be a nice guy but just doesn't know how." Not surprisingly, Toni Collette, as Duncan's mother, Allison Janney as the alcoholic, loudmouthed, but weirdly appealing next door neighbor, and Sam Rockwell, as a charming and sneakily wise water park manager, could not have been better.

The film is far from a ripping tale. A lot is left open-ended but its exploration of character and family dynamics could have hardly been better. I'm still thinking about it. Highly recommended, 8 Stars out of 10.
post #3 of 29 Old 07-31-2013, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This actually looks really good, but I seem to have missed all the advertisements about it. I love Sundance films because they seem to have a whole lot more depth than some of the stuff the big names are coming out with. I wish I would have been able to catch this though.
post #4 of 29 Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalovaku View Post

This actually looks really good, but I seem to have missed all the advertisements about it. I love Sundance films because they seem to have a whole lot more depth than some of the stuff the big names are coming out with. I wish I would have been able to catch this though.

I can't understand why The Way Way Back, hasn't had more buzz but there it is. See it, you won't be disappointed. It is showing in at least a couple of theaters in the OKC area, which tells me that it is in pretty wide release everywhere else.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-01-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 697
Enough good things are being said from sources worth hearing. On my list of to watch.
post #6 of 29 Old 12-03-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 118
If you don't catch yourself smiling at least a dozen times when watching this you don't have a heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

The film resembles Adventureland but is not nearly so dark..

Yup. It's a cuter version. Rockwell KILLS it (as usual).

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #7 of 29 Old 12-03-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'll add that to my list. I always love a good CoA story, and I love Adventureland, and though I like that it's darker.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #8 of 29 Old 12-03-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

I'll add that to my list. I always love a good CoA story, and I love Adventureland, and though I like that it's darker.

Dean -- By all means see it, I don't think you will be disappointed. The Way Way Back was an unexpected jewel. It is thoughtful but there's not a mean bone in its body. It is mostly sunny and upbeat but avoids becoming annoyingly sweet.
post #9 of 29 Old 12-03-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
post #10 of 29 Old 12-03-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Recall hearing very good things about this

I don't recall seeing this at redbox

neflixis our nemesis
post #11 of 29 Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Recall hearing very good things about this

I don't recall seeing this at redbox
It's Fox so it may be on a 28 day delay to rent.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #12 of 29 Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 AM

Liked: 16
I rented it at Redbox this last weekend, so it is available now.

post #13 of 29 Old 12-29-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This one finally made it to the top of my queue, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's very well done. A simple story but very good. Sam Rockwell, as usual, steals most of the scenes he's in. It's hard to even imagine it, but I guess at one point I was the main character of this movie. It's easy to forget how repressed, depressed, introverted, and self-hating etc... guys that age can be. He's almost bent in half in some scenes.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #14 of 29 Old 12-29-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This one finally made it to the top of my queue, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's very well done. A simple story but very good. Sam Rockwell, as usual, steals most of the scenes he's in. It's hard to even imagine it, but I guess at one point I was the main character of this movie. It's easy to forget how repressed, depressed, introverted, and self-hating etc... guys that age can be. He's almost bent in half in some scenes.

As I mentioned to you in an earlier post, I believed you would think it had been worth your while. Coincidentally, I was thinking of The Way Way Back yesterday and wondered when it would show up on one of the pay cable networks. It hasn't done so yet but thanks to this thread I have setup a wishlist to record it when it finally plays on a channel that I receive.
post #15 of 29 Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Thanks to all who recommended it, I finally saw this last night. I really enjoyed it and appreciate that there are outstanding writers with heart and finely tuned ears for dialogue like Nat Faxon and Jim Rash. The cast was excellent, but Sam Rockwell was stellar (actually, I can't think of any of his performances that were not stellar). He wins you over from the first shot of him until the last.

Anyway, the film is smart, witty, awkward, touching, bittersweet, insightful, and genuine. I couldn't ask for more in its tone. I look forward to more from the Faxon and Rash team. They do great work together (and their characters in this are terrifically real and lovable, especially at the party).

I should mention the kid. Liam James is really good at awkward and excels in portraying his awakening and blossoming as a young man under Rockwell's tutelage. They were wonderful together.

ETA: I can't stop thinking about the break dancing scene. Without spoiling it, I love how the writers/directors allowed it to play out. A typical Hollywood film would have made this scene Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
be mean and have the crowd and dancers be defensive and abusive towards the kid. Instead, they made it sweet (but not saccharine) and supportive.
Big thumbs up for that.
post #16 of 29 Old 01-20-2014, 03:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Still yet to see this I'm hoping to watch it soon.

Frank

post #17 of 29 Old 02-20-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just finished watching this, loved every minute of it. I felt sorry for the guy who played Duncan but once he met Sam Rockwell character Owen ( another great actor in my opinion ) I was happy for him.
Steve Carell played his character very well I actually hated his character I was wishing for Owen to knock him out.
I give this film an 8/10 definitely will make my collection.

Frank

post #18 of 29 Old 02-20-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Just finished watching this, loved every minute of it. I felt sorry for the guy who played Duncan but once he met Sam Rockwell character Owen ( another great actor in my opinion ) I was happy for him.
Steve Carell played his character very well I actually hated his character I was wishing for Owen to knock him out.
I give this film an 8/10 definitely will make my collection.

Glad you liked The Way Way Back as much as I did. What a great combination of writing, direction, and ensemble performances! I have the BD on hold at my public library and am looking forward to seeing it again.
post #19 of 29 Old 02-20-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 814
OK, you guys have convinced me to give it a try....in my queue.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #20 of 29 Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

OK, you guys have convinced me to give it a try....in my queue.

Great! Enjoy!
post #21 of 29 Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 276
I wasn't as enamored as everyone else, although I did enjoyed it. I think there are a lot of factors that go into whether you like a movie or not. Sometimes another viewing can make a difference, so I don't mind revisiting movies I enjoyed to see if I come away feeling even better about what I saw.

Add a few years and you get The Spectacular Now. I would think the same crowd that liked The Way Way Back would enjoy this one. Almost identical ratings for both on IMDb.

Highly recommended. Not that anyone here cares what I think.
post #22 of 29 Old 02-20-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Not that anyone here cares what I think.
Sorry if the "To Serve Man" thing isn't workin' out for ya.
But what do you expect from a planet of meatheads?

Just so you know, we still luv ya...regardless of the galaxy of your birth.

post #23 of 29 Old 02-21-2014, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

I wasn't as enamored as everyone else, although I did enjoyed it. I think there are a lot of factors that go into whether you like a movie or not. Sometimes another viewing can make a difference, so I don't mind revisiting movies I enjoyed to see if I come away feeling even better about what I saw.

Add a few years and you get The Spectacular Now. I would think the same crowd that liked The Way Way Back would enjoy this one. Almost identical ratings for both on IMDb.

Yes some of us do care what you think. Thanks for your thoughts. smile.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #24 of 29 Old 02-21-2014, 01:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Actually I do I looked at the link you provided for The Spectacular Now and I will have a look at my local video store to see if they have it in.

Frank

post #25 of 29 Old 02-26-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Finally managed to get to this one and glad I did.

This is a powerful and too close to the bone comedy/drama.
It certainly isn't for the faint-hearted, or those with excellent memories.wink.gif

Reminded me a great deal of long ago when I was just another piglet.

Yes....the story is realistic and happens every day, in every corner of the good 'ol USA.

This is the perfect movie to drink oneself into unconsciousness with.

post #26 of 29 Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I added The Spectacular Now to my NF queue as well. I saw the other day an article on CNN.com where they were talking about worthy teen films that were snubbed (apparently as is almost always the case) for Oscar consideration, and this one was one of them, as was TSN.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #27 of 29 Old 03-01-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

I added The Spectacular Now to my NF queue as well. I saw the other day an article on CNN.com where they were talking about worthy teen films that were snubbed (apparently as is almost always the case) for Oscar consideration, and this one was one of them, as was TSN.

For others you will find the DVD/Blu-ray at most Redbox locations.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #28 of 29 Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 AM

Liked: 11

I definitely enjoyed the movie but thought they made the step-dad or almost stepdad too pure evil. I mean, I get that he's the antagonist but making him a bad guy in every way just felt so predictable to me. I would've liked to see a bit more characters development for him. But the other characters were good and I always like a good coming of age movie (ie Submarine)

post #29 of 29 Old 07-13-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post
Thanks to all who recommended it, I finally saw this last night. I really enjoyed it and appreciate that there are outstanding writers with heart and finely tuned ears for dialogue like Nat Faxon and Jim Rash. The cast was excellent, but Sam Rockwell was stellar (actually, I can't think of any of his performances that were not stellar). He wins you over from the first shot of him until the last.

Anyway, the film is smart, witty, awkward, touching, bittersweet, insightful, and genuine. I couldn't ask for more in its tone. I look forward to more from the Faxon and Rash team. They do great work together (and their characters in this are terrifically real and lovable, especially at the party).

I should mention the kid. Liam James is really good at awkward and excels in portraying his awakening and blossoming as a young man under Rockwell's tutelage. They were wonderful together.
I agree with all of this. Great cast, and good writing. The movie felt kind of a like a darker version of the Sandlot, albeit without any baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post
ETA: I can't stop thinking about the break dancing scene. Without spoiling it, I love how the writers/directors allowed it to play out. A typical Hollywood film would have made this sceneWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Big thumbs up for that.
This is the only thing I don't agree with. The scene just didn't work for me at all, feeling force, unnatural, and out of place. Not enough to ruin the movie, but could have been handled differently, and more in line with the rest of the movie.

Well worth watching.
Scott

Last edited by PooperScooper; 07-14-2014 at 03:22 AM.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page