The Conjuring - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 07-28-2013, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Apologies if there is already a thread on this, the search feature is spotty at best but I didn't see one.

The Conjuring - GO SEE IT NOW!!!! Very solid 4 or maybe 4 1/2 demonic zombie rating. This is the ghost story from Hollywood I have been waiting to see for years! The movie just does so much right. The score is brilliant, the backdrop and atmosphere are fantastic. This is a benchmark example of how to properly mix jump scares in with minimal CG, state of the art makeup work, and most importantly the discipline and vision to be reserved not to overplay any strengths which is such a common flaw in todays horror films. My only complaints were that I would have liked to have had more character development connecting the audience to the children but in contrast I really enjoyed the fresh perspective where we actually care about the family and the people helping them. So many films of this brand you get to the part where the "expert" comes in to help but you have no connection to them. This is the first film since Poltergeist that changed that for me. I won't give too much away but will say this is a slow cooker done with the utmost finesse and a very keen eye for proper ghost story telling. I found no cheese or cheap copies of other films and while there were familiar elements (i.e. it did not re-invent the wheel) everything was done so right it was easy to keep pressing through, enjoying the beautifully crafted tension and increasingly unsettling moments. Highly recommended! This will be a day one purchase for me and a must for everyone's October horror movie list (assuming it's released by then).

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 181
So glad I got to see this today. ^^^ agree 100% General and will just add that I LOVED the photography. Not a shot wasted. The zooms, pans, tracking shots, etc were perfectly done and SCREAMED 1970's. Ti West eat your heart out. I think I remember reading that James Wan is done directing horror after Insidious 2 and I hope it's not true because the guy is at the top of his game. What a treat!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #3 of 29 Old 07-28-2013, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yes. A tremendous and well done film. Acting was great and the story definitely kept you interested. At any rate, can't wait for the sequel.
post #4 of 29 Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Very intense movie. The movie scared the crap out of our 16-year-old granddaughter. I jumped a few times myself, even audibly speaking out a couple: "Good gravy!"

Reading about the "real" story versus the movie was kind of disappointing. Other sites consider the Warrens to be frauds and their "evidence" to be less than convincing.

On the other hand, I have a friend/coworker whose brother personally experienced similar phenomena in a house he used to live in, and things got so freaky that his friends stopped coming over, he and his wife moved out, and they had to get exorcised as well as burn their clothes. The architect had literally stolen gravestones to decorate the yard with; don't know if that had anything to do with it, but some strange things happened when the brother tried to return the gravestones. It made a believer out of his brother (in both the supernatural and in Jesus, because the exorcist - a local shaman type (this was Hawaii) cast out the demons in Jesus' name, even though the shaman was not necessarily a Christian).
post #5 of 29 Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 410
These kind of movies are more enjoyable for me when they don’t make silly “based on a true story” claims. The minute I read that the “psychic investigators” in the movie are the same people who claimed that the fraudulent Amityville case was “real”, I tended to tune out.
post #6 of 29 Old 08-05-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I really don't put much stock in any film "based on a true story" and just try and enjoy it for what it is. The true story claim for Th Fourth Kind was completely made up but it served the film well even with the obvious fake real footage. The Conjuring worked well not because it was based on a true story, although that adds some weight, but because the acting was good, the atmosphere was perfect, the score, camera work, etc. Everything was just brought together with a real talent for doing ghost story horror right IMO. I honestly can't remember the last haunting/possession film that was able to maintain such positive feedback from both the RT community and IMDB that I also really enjoyed.
darthrsg likes this.

My Rig

post #7 of 29 Old 08-05-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Basing it on a "true story" adds no weight at all for me. Instead, it makes the movie seem like an unsubstantiated paranormal claim.
post #8 of 29 Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Basing it on a "true story" adds no weight at all for me. Instead, it makes the movie seem like an unsubstantiated paranormal claim.

Then go watch Zero Dark Boring. smile.gif
scottvamp likes this.
post #9 of 29 Old 10-24-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 323
When it comes to horror films, "based on a true story" means absolutely nothing to me. In other words, I just want to watch a good film that's all. And The Conjuring, despite its boring religious references (I really can't stand this!), is a very good film.

When I watch a political drama, "based on a true story" certainly has more weight.
darthrsg likes this.
post #10 of 29 Old 10-24-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

All I can say is this got me up off the couch a couple of times and I can't wait for the wife to watch it Friday.
post #11 of 29 Old 10-24-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

When it comes to horror films, "based on a true story" means absolutely nothing to me. In other words, I just want to watch a good film that's all. And The Conjuring, despite its boring religious references (I really can't stand this!), is a very good film.

This is the amount of credibility I give to a “based on a true story” movie...

It used to be: Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Now it’s: The names have not been changed; but everything else has.

smile.gif
simontan likes this.
post #12 of 29 Old 10-24-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

This is the amount of credibility I give to a “based on a true story” movie...

It used to be: Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Now it’s: The names have not been changed; but everything else has.

smile.gif

That's pretty much true. Except for Zero Dark Thirty Director's cut where Obama parachutes onto Bin Laden's head and the last 30 minutes are a kumite.
post #13 of 29 Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

All I can say is this got me up off the couch a couple of times and I can't wait for the wife to watch it Friday.
I remember debating to see this in the theater, or wait for home video. There was the commercial on TV where there is a handclap in dark near someone on the stairs. I was freaked out, didn't need to see it a big screen. Am picking it up for home use, at home I know where everything is, even in the dark. wink.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #14 of 29 Old 10-26-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Watched it last night, I think we have a new October staple for movie shelf. I grabbed the couch more than a couple times. smile.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #15 of 29 Old 10-26-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Watched it last night, I think we have a new October staple for movie shelf. I grabbed the couch more than a couple times. smile.gif

Indeed. I'm a fan of the genre and this is a great movie. Obviously repeat viewings will diminish the spookiness but not he high quality of all the rest.
Morpheo likes this.
post #16 of 29 Old 10-26-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Damn I'm gunna have to give this a watch. I'm the type of guy that finds some horror movies silly but this one sounds like a good one.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #17 of 29 Old 10-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Watched last night and it freaked me out! I was alone in the house, lights out and sound cranked which really helped the freak out factor. Really enjoyed the movie and the A/V was fantastic as well! Great blind buy that will get regular rotation every October. Planning on watching it again before Thurs.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #18 of 29 Old 10-26-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Watched last night and it freaked me out! I was alone in the house, lights out and sound cranked which really helped the freak out factor. Really enjoyed the movie and the A/V was fantastic as well! Great blind buy that will get regular rotation every October. Planning on watching it again before Thurs.
Nice!

My wife and I are hosting a showing of this tonight for our neighborhood friends. We have about 12-14 peeps coming for the show, light appetizers and drinks. I intend to have the lights out and HT effing cranked.

My Rig

post #19 of 29 Old 10-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Nice!

My wife and I are hosting a showing of this tonight for our neighborhood friends. We have about 12-14 peeps coming for the show, light appetizers and drinks. I intend to have the lights out and HT effing cranked.

AWESOME! cool.gif Report back on how it went.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #20 of 29 Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Watched this on VUDU last night. Decent horror/thriller and perfect for the Halloween season. Invoked memories of Poltergeist, The Exorcist and of course The Amityville Horror. Patrick Wilson seems to be making a career of these type of movies.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #21 of 29 Old 10-28-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

Very intense movie. The movie scared the crap out of our 16-year-old granddaughter. I jumped a few times myself, even audibly speaking out a couple: "Good gravy!"

Reading about the "real" story versus the movie was kind of disappointing. Other sites consider the Warrens to be frauds and their "evidence" to be less than convincing.

On the other hand, I have a friend/coworker whose brother personally experienced similar phenomena in a house he used to live in, and things got so freaky that his friends stopped coming over, he and his wife moved out, and they had to get exorcised as well as burn their clothes. The architect had literally stolen gravestones to decorate the yard with; don't know if that had anything to do with it, but some strange things happened when the brother tried to return the gravestones. It made a believer out of his brother (in both the supernatural and in Jesus, because the exorcist - a local shaman type (this was Hawaii) cast out the demons in Jesus' name, even though the shaman was not necessarily a Christian).

Bought the Blu-ray the day it came out. I thought my granddaughter would want to watch it again. NOPE!!! she said.

I tried to get my wife to watch it. After 40 minutes she said, "That's enough" and went in the other room. It was too scary for her. When I finished watching it later in the week, she came in as they were exorcising the mother and watched it until the end - after asking if there were any more creepy or "make you jump out of your chair" scenes.

I don't know if it will hold up as well over the years as The Exorcist has, but I think it ranks right up there in quality.

I noticed in the credits where they overlay the actors' names on the photos of the actual people that they omitted Kyla Deaver's (April) name - the photo shows 5 girls but only 4 names are overlaid.
post #22 of 29 Old 10-28-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

Bought the Blu-ray the day it came out. I thought my granddaughter would want to watch it again. NOPE!!! she said.

I tried to get my wife to watch it. After 40 minutes she said, "That's enough" and went in the other room. It was too scary for her. When I finished watching it later in the week, she came in as they were exorcising the mother and watched it until the end - after asking if there were any more creepy or "make you jump out of your chair" scenes.

I don't know if it will hold up as well over the years as The Exorcist has, but I think it ranks right up there in quality.

I noticed in the credits where they overlay the actors' names on the photos of the actual people that they omitted Kyla Deaver's (April) name - the photo shows 5 girls but only 4 names are overlaid.

I'm curious about the books the family wrote. Supposedly things happened that were unmentionable.
post #23 of 29 Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

I'm curious about the books the family wrote. Supposedly things happened that were unmentionable.

This stuff was debunked long ago.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/amityville.asp

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #24 of 29 Old 10-29-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

This stuff was debunked long ago.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/amityville.asp

That's what they want you to think.
post #25 of 29 Old 10-29-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Indeed. I don't even believe Snopes anymore. Signal to noise ratio for bullshirt is too low these days.
post #26 of 29 Old 10-29-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Indeed. I don't even believe Snopes anymore. Signal to noise ratio for bullshirt is too high these days.
I think you meant low. Signal:Noise 10:1 good, 1:10 bad. Yes? smile.gif

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #27 of 29 Old 10-29-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I think you meant low. Signal:Noise 10:1 good, 1:10 bad. Yes? smile.gif

larry

That's what I said
post #28 of 29 Old 11-08-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I meant to see it in the theater but did not make it. Finally I was able to enjoy it last night. Without sex, gore or cursing, that is refreshing in itself.

I swore that I heard my house creaking or something. Really enjoyed being scared. Love it!!!

Watched it on DLP last night; go to see it again in LCoS for better contrast.
darthrsg likes this.
post #29 of 29 Old 12-01-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I thought this movie was pretty well done. Effectively scary in parts, paired with some solid characters that you actually get to care about. If I had to knock it for anything, I thought it could have been a little bit longer, it would have been nice to spend a little more time with the family before all heck breaks out. The acting was solid, all the way around, although I thought Vera Farmiga was the real standout.

As for the true story thing, it didn't bother me a bit. For those that believe in this kind of thing, it adds a foundation to the story. For skeptics, it might be something to scoff at and write off. But, it's not a documentary, it's just a movie, meant to entertain. I don't recall people throwing the same barbs at Fargo, which was also supposed to be a true story.

Scott

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page