Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have also seen references to this movie titled "A Late Quartet."

We stumbled across this 2012 small movie on NetFlicks this week. Both my wife and I are always drawn to movies with Christopher Walken, so we watched. Delightful.

The story centers around a string quartet of renown, The Fugue, which has been together for 25 years. One of its members learns he can no longer be a member. Conflict results.

The story is gentle by today's standard, and Walken is not even a heavy. There are no villians in the piece. To us, the most appealing element is being carried to a new place...the world of esoteric classical music performers. This is a world of which we have little familiarity, both the music and of the interactions of its performers. This movie celebrates that world and the excellence required. I have never heard performed Beethoven’s celebrated Quartet in C sharp minor (Op. 131), which is featured in the story. Various passages in the work are central and lovingly caressed by the director. As far as I know none of the four principals are played by actors familiar with instruments tey play, yet the numerous close-ups of them playing are very credible...something unheard of in my experience. I can't imagine how much time & effort it must have taken to pull that off. Kudos!

The acting by all here is exceptional, and while there is no bang, whiz culmination, I left feeling right about the experience.

Take a trip. Enjoy the place.

Warning: Lots of reveals here-
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/film-reviews/the-last-quartet-a-classical-drama-in-seven-movements/article5798783/

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
I watched this recently too.
Enjoyed the good drama and acting.

Beethoven's late quartets come from the world of the soul.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

I have also seen references to this movie titled "A Late Quartet."

We stumbled across this 2012 small movie on NetFlicks this week. Both my wife and I are always drawn to movies with Christopher Walken, so we watched. Delightful.

Thanks for posting, this one slipped by me. Added to queue smile.gif

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-12-2014, 08:04 AM

Liked: 16
I watched this last night. I really enjoyed the attention paid to the music. The director didn't short change the score for dialogue. In fact there were many cityscape scenes backed by the quartet music. The actors did a great job pretending to play their instruments. In the extra "making of" piece you learn that they spent months taking lessons to learn the basics of the instrument They also had a real player in front of them while filming that they could mimic.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie, the actors and the music. If you are looking for a good classical music movie add this to your list.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just to be clear, the title is "A Late Quartet". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226240/?ref_=nv_sr_1
I saw it a few months ago by accident and thought it was interesting. What I mean by "accident" is that I meant to click on "Stand Up Guys" in Netflix but accidentally put this movie in the queue because it has Christopher Walken in it. It's not my genre but I still appreciated it.

BTW, did you watch this because of the recent news on PSH?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

BTW, did you watch this because of the recent news on PSH?

It was on my list because I like classical music and Christopher Walken. I didn't really pay attention and was surprised to see PSH in it as well. He will be missed.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page