Dial M for Murder 3D in the theatre - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-30-2013, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A local theatre (in fact the theater where The Hobbit was premiered) is going to show the 3D version of Dial M for Murder. I think they use Real 3D since the encourage you to bring your own glasses. Not sure you can do that with Dolby 3D.

I rushed out and bought 3 tickets for the one off screening and then discovered that the BluRay is available for 1/3 of the cost I paid for the tickets!

Hopefully the theatre just doesn't show the the BD version but I wonder what source they will be using? Since the theatre has gone completely to digital projection (and also has Dolby Atmos but I suspect that won't come into play for a 1954 movie!) I hope they have 4K source they are using.

I guess I will find out in a couple of weeks.

Has anybody else here seen the theatrical release of the restored movie in 3D and if so, how was the presentation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please be sure to let us know how it was. I watched this movie (in 2D) rather recently and enjoyed it.

>Has anybody else here seen the theatrical release of the restored movie in 3D and if so, how was the presentation?
I'd like to echo this question.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-11-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just watched the movie over the weekend in this theatre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embassy_Theatre,_Wellington.

Shot when the audience was still coming in

It was screened in Real3D. The house was full (870 people) and I was apprehensive having only managed seats in the 4th row from the back and towards the side. But the screen is large and there were no heads in the way. Scanning the audience showed a range of ages from kids to more senior movie goers. I won't classify where I am in this group!When the movie started the 3D effect was quite startling with the opening credits etc right in your face. Clearly the 3D effect is not diminished sitting off centre and towards the back.

PQ was superb so this was a great restoration and audio was fine though of course did not take advantage of the Dolby Atmos system in the movie. Taking my glasses off to check the screen image and then placing them on again showed there was minimal brightness loss due to the 3D, something that has been commented about in the BD 3D release.

Hitchcock used 3D subtly with there only being one scene where it was in your face and quite effectively. Otherwise it was like watching a stage show (not surprising given the story's origin) with the 3D providing some depth to the stage setting.

As for the movie, I think I had seen it before but forgot most of it. It was enjoyable and Grace Kelly is always pleasant to watch. The audience clearly enjoyed it laughing at certain scenes (probably unintentional humour but showing appreciation for those plot moments) and my 15 year old, brought up on a diet of Transformers, Star Trek and other action movies, also found it very enjoyable. In fact when the movie ended he commented how short it was when its actually running time is 1h50m. There were no trailers before and no intermission even though the Intermission sign did come up about half way through. Clearly the movie time had gone quickly for him which means it was must have been enjoyable.

On the whole a every pleasant experience.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I was lucky enough to see a duel 35mm projected screening and no 3D via digital means can compare, other than say IMAX that was shot in 3D. It was surprising just how good the image looked. It was bright, clear, no jitter that I could detect and I had no motion sickness, which I sometimes get with modern 3D.

And it was bright. Bright bright bright! God how I hate dim 3D.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #5 of 5 Old 08-13-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
When we first set up our dual-35mm 3-D system at the Lafayette in 2004, everything was new (lamps, color matched reflectors, silver screen, matched polarizers, etc) and I was able to get over 18fl off the screen and about 14fl through the glasses. Knowledgeable people who came to those shows called them the best and brightest 3-D they'd ever seen. All of the vintage titles looked fantastic, with House of Wax and Inferno (via an original Technicolor print) looking the best of the 10 features we showed.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page