The Wolverine in Dolby Atmos - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 07-31-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 857

Last night, I saw The Wolverine at the AMC Burbank 16 ETX theater, which has a Dolby Atmos sound system. I normally wouldn't have made much of an effort to see this movie, but I really enjoy Atmos soundtracks, so I went on the venue's weekly discount night.

Of course, I had my custom-molded earplugs with me, expecting a real blowout, but I ended up taking them out for two reasons—I couldn't make out the quiet dialog, and the Atmos soundtrack was much more effective without them. I put my fingers in my ears during the loud parts, but the volume was certainly not the highest I've measured. The average level over the entire 2-hour, 22-minute duration (including trailers) was 84.7 dBA (86.4 dBA during the trailers only), with the highest 1-minute maximum at 97.2 dBA. The level remained over 89.9 dBA 10 percent of the time, 82.5 dBA 33 percent of the time, and 77.0 dBA 50 percent of the time. The dosage was only 8.84 percent of the daily maximum as defined by OSHA (the Occupational Safety and Health Administration).

As expected, the Atmos soundtrack is wonderful, especially the gentle rainfall from above and the wild fight scenes with arrows and debris flying all around the theater. Another very effective Atmos sequence is when Logan fights a Yakuza thug on top of a speeding Shinkansen (bullet train) in Tokyo.

I thought the 3D post-production conversion by StereoD was excellent. For the most part, it did not call attention to itself, subtly enhancing the sense of depth and perfectly complementing the immersive soundtrack. There were a few shots in which the 3D was more obvious—for example, when Logan is in a deep pit—but I was not distracted by them.

NOTE: THERE'S NOT MUCH IN THE WAY OF SPOILERS HERE, BUT SKIP THE REST IF YOU WANT TO KNOW NOTHING AT ALL ABOUT THE MOVIE BEFORE SEEING IT

As for the movie itself, it starts with a flashback to 1945, followed by a dream sequence with Famke Janssen as Jean Grey (recall that Logan killed her in X-Men: Last Stand). It then jumps to the present, with Logan (Hugh Jackman) living a nomadic, homeless life in the Yukon wilderness. But most of the action takes place in Japan, and Logan's "bodyguard" Yukio (Rila Fukushima) has a distinct cosplay look. The mutant Viper (Svetlana Khodchenkova) is delightfully evil and seemingly indestructible.

The visuals are stunning, from the super-cool biobed supporting the dying Yashida (Haruhiko Yamanouchi) to the giant adamantium Samurai robot. (Hey, it's a movie based on a comic book!) The one thing that struck me as quite fake-looking was the bear that Logan encounters in the woods of the Yukon. At first, I thought it was bad CGI, but the credits included people involved with an animatronic bear, so that must have been why it looked so fake.

Overall, The Wolverine is a fun romp—nothing terribly special, but a nice diversion. If there's a Dolby Atmos theater near you, I definitely recommend seeing it there. Oh, and be sure to stay through the credits; there's a nice teaser for the next X-Men movie part way through.

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-31-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 89
any chance Dolby Atmos makes it way to home theater anytime soon (a watered down version of course with fewer speaker feeds and tracks)?...I saw The Hobbit in 48 FPS with Dolby Atmos and the audio impressed me more then the higher frame rate
post #3 of 28 Old 07-31-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

any chance Dolby Atmos makes it way to home theater anytime soon (a watered down version of course with fewer speaker feeds and tracks)?...I saw The Hobbit in 48 FPS with Dolby Atmos and the audio impressed me more then the higher frame rate

See my interview with Dolby's Ioan Allen this week; he doesn't think it will be any time soon, and neither do I. But it's likely to happen at some point, as many Dolby pro technologies find their way into home applications.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #4 of 28 Old 07-31-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Thanks for the write-up Scott! Always very interesting to hear your cinematic adventures. Really wish my closest Atmos theater wasn't 4.5 hours away but ive made the drive before. Good stuff man.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #5 of 28 Old 07-31-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I saw wolverine in dolby atmos last week. i even got a free t-shirt. I agree that the dolby atmos works better on this films then both pacific rim and man of steel. it seem more balanced then loud and noisy that pacific rim and man of steel were. the stuff in the city fights you hear things around. I agree about the other poster about the sound.

Jacob
post #6 of 28 Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Thanks for the write-up Scott! Always very interesting to hear your cinematic adventures. Really wish my closest Atmos theater wasn't 4.5 hours away but ive made the drive before. Good stuff man.

I hear ya wish I had a dolby theater near me!

post #7 of 28 Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Thanks!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #8 of 28 Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
hows the story overall ?, i wasnt gonna see it because of the bad 'reviews' on the plot/writing ... but if sound/visual is ok ...
post #9 of 28 Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

hows the story overall ?, i wasnt gonna see it because of the bad 'reviews' on the plot/writing ... but if sound/visual is ok ...
If you are a fan of the Wolverine or Jackman (who really owns the character when he's on-screen) risk the price of the ticket. It's fun and the picture and sound won't let you down. Don't ever trust story reviews, most( not all) reviews are by people who can not write. No story is perfect.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10 of 28 Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just saw this film today in atmos at the AMC Orange 30. Was about to go to burbank but didn't feel like driving. I must say that during the scene when they were driving through the city I thought someone's cellphone had gone off in the back right but it was actually the mix biggrin.gif

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #11 of 28 Old 08-01-2013, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Just saw this last sunday in Berlin in their Dolby Atmos theatre. 56 Channels of audio.

I really must say over Star Trek, which was my first movie I saw there I was much more impressed. Sound was not as harsh and just more of a pleasure to listen to, rather than endure.
Picture, Blehh, I am still not a fan of 3D and I believe I would have much preferred this in 2D with the Atmos. Of course that is just MHO so to each his own. One thing I will add is after seeing movies now done totally digital the film 24/frame/sec is now more annoying. Bond was a good example of how much smoother the higher digital frame rates are, but I am still not sure which I like more.

Either way I still think the Berlin Theatre is one of the best sounding theatres and I rather enjoyed the movie.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by 807recordings View Post

One thing I will add is after seeing movies now done totally digital the film 24/frame/sec is now more annoying. Bond was a good example of how much smoother the higher digital frame rates are, but I am still not sure which I like more.

confused.gif

Skyfall wasn't HFR.
post #13 of 28 Old 08-01-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

confused.gif

Skyfall wasn't HFR.

It was shot on e-film according to what I read, and in some scenes at least 60fps. I can stand to be corrected, but there is a real difference in picture over the film. Clarity was a huge part on the big open scenes, and lighting/tones, but that also could be mastering so I am not saying 100% anything.
\
Seems they used Aria Elexa Camera
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arri_Alexa

And in theory can do 127fps.
post #14 of 28 Old 08-01-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 89
for the movies it supports, is Dolby Atmos limited only to the 3D versions?
post #15 of 28 Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

for the movies it supports, is Dolby Atmos limited only to the 3D versions?
No, though Atmos mixes are often (not always) found on 3D movies. The Atmos theatre closest to me usually does 2D presentations of movies that are typically shown in 3D at other Atmos theatres.

Sanjay
post #16 of 28 Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

No, though Atmos mixes are often (not always) found on 3D movies. The Atmos theatre closest to me usually does 2D presentations of movies that are typically shown in 3D at other Atmos theatres.

Lucky guy.
post #17 of 28 Old 08-02-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It was shot on e-film according to what I read, and in some scenes at least 60fps. I can stand to be corrected, but there is a real difference in picture over the film. Clarity was a huge part on the big open scenes, and lighting/tones, but that also could be mastering so I am not saying 100% anything.
It was shot at digitally at 24fps. As for clarity, the Alexa camera is 2.8k resolution. By comparison, movies like Hobbit and Prometheus were shot in 5k using the Red Epic camera.

Sanjay
post #18 of 28 Old 08-02-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

It was shot at digitally at 24fps. As for clarity, the Alexa camera is 2.8k resolution. By comparison, movies like Hobbit and Prometheus were shot in 5k using the Red Epic camera.
But the Alexa is loved for its Dynamic range. Every DP or shooter I know prefers it to the Epic. I was fortunate enough to see Wolverine on a huge screen and it looked sensational. All Alexa projects do.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #19 of 28 Old 08-02-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

Seems they used Aria Elexa Camera
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arri_Alexa

And in theory can do 127fps.

The higher frame rates on that camera are used for slo-mo effects. Aside from The Hobbit and the upcoming Avatar sequels, movies shot digitally use the same 24 fps rate as film.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #20 of 28 Old 08-03-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

But the Alexa is loved for its Dynamic range. Every DP or shooter I know prefers it to the Epic. I was fortunate enough to see Wolverine on a huge screen and it looked sensational. All Alexa projects do.

I thought Wolverine wasn't shot with Alexa but on film?

As for the Bond is there any source that can verify?

Not looking for a petty argument here but rather just curious why Bond seems clearer to me. Could also be the whole 3D thing that I don't really like.

Still sound I have to say was really worth the trip and now only wish I could have Atmos at home.
post #21 of 28 Old 08-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Is this a stand alone film or a sequel to the other Wolverine movie?

Also, why do we have two threads for this movie? Can we merge this thread into the other?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #22 of 28 Old 08-03-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
This isn't (or shouldn't be) a movie discussion thread. It's a discussion about the Dolby Atmos presentation of the move, i.e. the experience.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #23 of 28 Old 08-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

This isn't (or shouldn't be) a movie discussion thread. It's a discussion about the Dolby Atmos presentation of the move, i.e. the experience.

The original post contains both movie discussion and technical just like a lot of posts in the regular threads. Not sure what makes this thread special enough to stand on its own, but whatever. Good to know we can start separate "experience" threads I guess if we wish. smile.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #24 of 28 Old 08-03-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But the Alexa is loved for its Dynamic range.
Yup, Deakins feels it exceeds film in that aspect. Which is why I limited my comment to resolution.
Quote:

Every DP or shooter I know prefers it to the Epic.
Then you should get to know Jeff Cronenweth, Dariusz Wolski and Andrew Lesnie.

Sanjay
post #25 of 28 Old 08-03-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought Wolverine wasn't shot with Alexa but on film?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1430132/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec
Quote:

As for the Bond is there any source that can verify?
Verify what?

Sanjay
post #26 of 28 Old 08-04-2013, 01:48 PM

so this:
Printed Film Format 35 mm (Kodak Vision 2383)
D-Cinema (also 3-D version)

is just after for the final printing where everything else was digital ?
post #27 of 28 Old 08-04-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

so this:
Printed Film Format 35 mm (Kodak Vision 2383)
D-Cinema (also 3-D version)

is just after for the final printing where everything else was digital ?
The entire chain was digital, but they struck a few prints for cinemas that still project 35mm film.

Happens in music all the time, where the entire chain can be digital for a particular album, but a few vinyl records are released.

Sanjay
post #28 of 28 Old 08-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:

The entire chain was digital, but they struck a few prints for cinemas that still project 35mm film.

Happens in music all the time, where the entire chain can be digital for a particular album, but a few vinyl records are released.

THX for clearing that up and it makes me realize its not a digital of film thing. I may not know it all but I can tell when a picture I see is not so nice. I may not always know the cause so I am open to listening. In Music its often the other way around (also) where they start analog and just digital print in final stage. I know I do it (produce). In the end though its what ever makes the best product as each side being either digital or analog has its advantages and disadvantages. Sure processing, rendering, etc all could be factors to.

smile.gif
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page