IMAX Experience - Not all Imax is the same - How is yours like? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What sort of Imax do you go to?
Latest dual Barco 4K Projectors 4 13.79%
Older 2K Projectors 1 3.45%
Latest Laser Guided Sound (you'll see 2 giant surrounds vs a bunch of smaller sides/backs) 4 13.79%
Curved Screen 4 13.79%
Flat Screen 1 3.45%
Real Imax seats (stadium type, where each row is way higher than the other) 6 20.69%
Regular cinema seats 0 0%
Over 4 Story High Screen 8 27.59%
3 Story High 1 3.45%
Small 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 09-18-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 64
If they are indeed "actors", then damn they are very, very good. IDK, their reactions just seem very real and natural to me. I think they have lots of pranks shows like this esp in Japan so how can you say for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

If they are indeed "actors", then damn they are very, very good. IDK, their reactions just seem very real and natural to me. I think they have lots of pranks shows like this esp in Japan so how can you say for sure.

This is actually an LG ad for their TV... something they hoped would go viral which it did...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/09/lgs-shock-ad-raises-questions-about-prankvertising/

BTW: I don't think ANYONE would be fooled by a TV... TVs have ways to go before they look like 'windows'.
post #33 of 38 Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

BTW: I don't think ANYONE would be fooled by a TV... TVs have ways to go before they look like 'windows'.

Not only that, but the prank is contingent upon the victims being total morons who can't recognize an obvious CGI visual effect, and who think that the only side effect to an asteroid flattening their city a mile away would be some flickering lights in their room.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #34 of 38 Old 09-21-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

I have no problem believing that part. You're overestimating the intelligence of the average person. All they know about asteroids is what they see in movies.

Here's a similar prank to restore your faith in people's intelligence:

So even with twin's explanation, it still doesn't show how were they to make the 1st twin disappear inside the pod.
post #35 of 38 Old 02-07-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Copying a post from another section of the forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

I promised Scott I would post a link to the report on 2K / 4K Digital vs. 70mm and IMAX projection. The original link is not active on the Digital Cinema Society's website, but someone copied the report in its entirety on the Red User's Forum:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?57068-Digital-Cinema-Symposium-4K-digital-vs-IMAX-15-70mm-shootout-DCS-report

Great takeaways:

The following observations on 2K, 4K, and 3D Large Screen Digital Projection are a DCS member content contribution from Howard Hall, the noted Underwater Filmmaker/Cinematographer/Photographer and Author after attending last month’s Galveston Digital Symposium:

On January 24 I joined 127 other Giant Screen professionals at the Moody Gardens Theater to see the debut of the Barco 4K 3D projector system and to view a split screen 4K projection versus IMAX 70mm projection comparison. The Moody Gardens giant screen is 72 feet by 53 feet.

The “shootout” between 70mm and 4K was most interesting. We saw two clips projected via split screen then we saw the clips projected alternately. The first 70mm clip from “Pulse” was printed in the traditional way via negative, interpositive, and duplicate negative. The second 70mm clip (from Wild Ocean) was made in the more modern way via 11K scan from negative, then a 4K down-conversion, then film-out to 70mm. The digital projections were made via 11K scan and then 4K down-conversion. The 4K file of Wild Ocean was the file used for the film-out.

Just comparing the two 70mm clips was enlightening. The “Pulse” clip was significantly better than the film-out version of Wild Ocean. Scanning and film-out of Wild Ocean had been necessary because so many different formats in addition to 70mm were used in original image capture (we saw only 70mm original capture examples). Andrew Orin from FotoKem who made the film prints, estimated that even the “Pulse” clip had degraded to between 5.5 and 6K via the printing process (assuming original camera negative is about 11K).

In my opinion the split screen comparison showed that 4K projection is equal to or better than 70mm projection in all respects save one. The digital images appeared as sharp or sharper, they appeared to have more contrast in addition to equal or better resolution, and the color saturation and fidelity was equal or better. These differences were minor and debatable when the two “Pulse” clips were compared. The differences were dramatic when Wild Ocean was up.

The only remaining advantage to the 70mm projection was that the 4K projection was 16x9 and did not fill the vertical axis of the screen. That the bottom of the 4K screen image was missing was of no consequence to me since audience heads occlude the 70mm image at the bottom and to me this may be viewed as a distraction. The top of the screen is another story however. Some of the experiential effect is lost with the 4K projection though I confess I did not miss it much. This was the only disadvantage to 4K digital capture and projection that I could see and was but one point when scored against the myriad disadvantages, both financial and logistical, of shooting and projection in 70mm.

When the audience was asked which image they liked best, the overwhelming response was that they preferred the digital projection. As an IMAX 70mm veteran, I found that quite astounding.
This recent experience re-inforces the results of the demo put on by IMAX engineers at the Large Format Film Seminar (mentioned earlier in this thread). Anyone still claiming 15/70 IMAX results in a superior image to 4K digital has yet to produce any similar evidence to support their claim.
Dbuudo07 and pokekevin like this.

Sanjay
post #36 of 38 Old 02-08-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Copying a post from another section of the forum:
This recent experience re-inforces the results of the demo put on by IMAX engineers at the Large Format Film Seminar (mentioned earlier in this thread). Anyone still claiming 15/70 IMAX results in a superior image to 4K digital has yet to produce any similar evidence to support their claim.

+1

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #37 of 38 Old 02-10-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
All one needs do is go to the IMAX in NYC and see what digital projection means. They have converted to it and the image doesn't come close to taking up the full width of the gargantuan screen. It can't and management admits this (throw distance plus light output makes it impossible). So you are stuck watching a windowboxed image. It is complete rubbish compared to 15/70 and so my IMAX days are over.
Scott Simonian likes this.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #38 of 38 Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

All one needs do is go to the IMAX in NYC and see what digital projection means. They have converted to it and the image doesn't come close to taking up the full width of the gargantuan screen. It can't and management admits this (throw distance plus light output makes it impossible). So you are stuck watching a windowboxed image. It is complete rubbish compared to 15/70 and so my IMAX days are over.

None of the converted 15/70mm IMAX's in Toronto have this problem. All screens wider than 60' have full, gorgeous horizontal coverage.

David Budo
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page