AVS Forum banner

What sort of Imax do you go to?

• Latest dual Barco 4K Projectors

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Older 2K Projectors

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Latest Laser Guided Sound (you'll see 2 giant surrounds vs a bunch of smaller sides/backs)

• Curved Screen

• Flat Screen

• Real Imax seats (stadium type, where each row is way higher than the other)

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Regular cinema seats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over 4 Story High Screen

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • 3 Story High

• Small

Votes: 0 0.0%

IMAX Experience - Not all Imax is the same - How is yours like?

4K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Dbuudo07 
#1 ·
I am a big Imax fan, but I have to say that not all Imaxs' are created the same. There are cinemas that retrofit their screen to simply make it bigger. And most Imax still uses 2K projectors.

Also, there's a difference between Digital Imax for Movies (some call them LieMax), and the 70mm True Imax which showcase specially shot Documentaries using Imax 70mm cameras.

The difference between the 2?

True Imax showing Documentaries / Movies shot in True Imax 70mm camera - this can't be beat. You'll have to see to experience. It's almost like you're looking out the window. The resolution is (if you were to convert to digital) would be something like 100 Mega Pixel (or 8-16K). Nothing in the digital realm even approaches this (although Imax says that their 4K digital cinemas are just as good, but don't buy into it.. it's light and day difference).

But this thread is about Digital Cinema Imax (LieMax) which shows Movies (which are shot in 35mm film anyways, so even the source material can't approach those 70mm films)... and these movies are ok to be projected using 4K (because 35mm film is just about 4K resolution anyways).

And even then, there are so many Imax cinemas out there that are different. I have found one near me which is apparently the latest Imax.. using:

- Dual Barco 4K Projectors

- Projected onto a curved screen that is about 4 story high.

- Laser guided sound system (they have 2 giant surround speakers).

I can tell you, the sound in this cinema can't be beat... it's literally several orders better than any cinemas I have been to, and at least twice as good as another Imax using an older sound system.

So, what sort of Imax are you going to? Elaborate:

Here's a video I shot of my Imax (it's a bit dark)

Guys, Please post any info you have on your local Imax and I'll update the list here. Hopefully we'll be able to compile a comprehensive list eventually

Imax List - Features

MALAYSIA

Imax TGV One Utama, Damansara Utama, Malaysia

- Dual Barco 4K

- 4 Story High, Curved Screen

- Laser Guided Sound (latest sound system)

There's another smaller Imax in Kuala Lumpur

Imax TGV Pyramid, Subang, Malaysia

- (note sure about projector but pretty good)

- Older sound system (not quite as good as the above)

- 3 story high Curved screen

See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23593409

It'd be a good idea if you could also name the theater, so that we can have a sort of reference list of theaters and their features.

You're right, I added the info of the 2 Imax in Malaysia at the thread above.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23593373

True Imax showing Documentaries / Movies shot in True Imax 70mm camera - this can't be beat. You'll have to see to experience. It's almost like you're looking out the window. The resolution is (if you were to convert to digital) would be something like 100 Mega Pixel (or 8-16K). Nothing in the digital realm even approaches this (although Imax says that their 4K digital cinemas are just as good, but don't buy into it.. it's light and day difference).
Other way 'round: i.e., don't buy into the supposed resolution of 70mm IMAX, especially after it has gone through a couple of generations to get to the theatrical print, which then has a lot of glass to get through (including the projection booth window) before you see it on the screen.

From the following article: http://library.creativecow.net/galt_john/John_Galt_2K_4K_Truth_About_Pixels/1
Quote:
The 4K system that most people know is IMAX -- and it doesn't quite make 4K, which is a surprise to people. "How can that possibly be?," you say. "It's an enormous big frame." Well, because of what I was talking about earlier: the physics of optics. When you take the entire system into account - from the lens of the camera, to the the movement of the light through the projector, all slightly reducing resolution -- you wind up with less than the full resolution you started with.

A number of years ago some IMAX engineers - and I don't think IMAX ever let these guys out of their lab again -- did this wonderfully elegant experiment at the Large Film Format Seminar at Universal Studios Imax theatre. They showed this film they made that began with 2 rows of 2 squares: black white, white black, as if you had 4 pixels on the screen.

Then they started to double and double and double the squares. Before they got to 4K the screen was gray. Do you know what the means? There was no longer any difference between black and white, which is what allows you to see sharpness. It's the contrast that we see, not the actual information. Technically, the MTF (Modulation Transfer Function) was zero at 4K!
That's the reason IMAX says their 4K digital cameras are just as good.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23596282

Other way 'round: i.e., don't buy into the supposed resolution of 70mm IMAX, especially after it has gone through a couple of generations to get to the theatrical print, which then has a lot of glass to get through (including the projection booth window) before you see it on the screen.

From the following article: http://library.creativecow.net/galt_john/John_Galt_2K_4K_Truth_About_Pixels/1
That's the reason IMAX says their 4K digital cameras are just as good.

These are all technical mumbo jumbo... I think they just want to 'make their 4K 'seems' comparable as a marketing ploy.

Have you actually 'seen' any 4K projector approaching any of the quality traditional Imax 70mm film? I have yet to... and I mean, the discrepancy is HUGE... I think after all the 'degradtation' you mention, 70mm will be comparable to 8K digital... 4K just don't cut it...

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23596358

These are all technical mumbo jumbo... I think they just want to 'make their 4K 'seems' comparable as a marketing ploy.
It's not very technical: engineers from IMAX itself demonstrated that a pixel-on/pixel-off pattern went gray before it could reach 4000 pixels across. That is, it couldn't resolve 4K pixels. This wasn't done in secret at some hidden lab, it was done in front of an audience at the LFF seminar at my local 70mm IMAX theatre in Universal City.

The author of the article, who happens to be a Senior VP at Panavision, said: "it doesn't quite make 4K, which is a surprise to people". Apparently you are one of the people surprised, since you don't seem to believe it and/or think this is a marketing ploy. But it doesn't really matter what you believe, since it has been demonstrated as fact (by IMAX themselves).

It also explains why IMAX wasn't willing to replace their 70mm systems with digital until 4K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23596358

I think after all the 'degradtation' you mention, 70mm will be comparable to 8K digital... 4K just don't cut it...
I can understand using 8K for scanning raw 65mm camera negatives, but not for projection of the final print. Having compared 'Lawrence of Arabia' in 70mm vs 4K digital, there's no question that 70mm looked softer by comparison.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23596741

It's not very technical: engineers from IMAX itself demonstrated that a pixel-on/pixel-off pattern went gray before it could reach 4000 pixels across. That is, it couldn't resolve 4K pixels. This wasn't done in secret at some hidden lab, it was done in front of an audience at the LFF seminar at my local 70mm IMAX theatre in Universal City.

The author of the article, who happens to be a Senior VP at Panavision, said: "it doesn't quite make 4K, which is a surprise to people". Apparently you are one of the people surprised, since you don't seem to believe it and/or think this is a marketing ploy. But it doesn't really matter what you believe, since it has been demonstrated as fact (by IMAX themselves).

It also explains why IMAX wasn't willing to replace their 70mm systems with digital until 4K.

I can understand using 8K for scanning raw 65mm camera negatives, but not for projection of the final print. Having compared 'Lawrence of Arabia' in 70mm vs 4K digital, there's no question that 70mm looked softer by comparison.

Everything boils down to science.. and anything can be manipulated to show whatever results you want to show by not telling you everything (kinda like politicians who are bought lock stock and barrel telling you that there is no such thing as global warming, or electronic cigarettes are worse than real cigarretes)...

For instance in the above scenario, I am sure they are not using chips powerful enough to resolve above 4K materials... the tech for 4K is not even ripe yet. And 8K still have a long to way to go. We're talking about not only pixel density, but also color range/contrast, etc... You can demonstrate that 32Mega Pixels camera on your Nokia phone can't take picture as clear as a 8Mega Pixel DLSR camera.. it is that kind of mumbo jumbo they are telling you... they are not comparing apples with apples...

And you're talking about Movies NOT shot on 70mm cameras... they are also probably showing 35mm content which was converted to 4K...

Like I said, whatever they are telling you.. there's a BIG difference between content shot in 70mm, projected onto the screen using their 70mm projectors vs materials converted from 70mm film to 4K projected using a 4K digital projector.

BTW: Lawrence of Arabia is NOT shot on 70mm film... NO film was shot entirely on 70mm film... there were some scenes in some movies like The Dark Knight that was shot on 70mm film.. and if you watch that one scene, compared to 4K.. you'll see tons of difference...

Also, note, if you watch a movie like MOS on the Imax, even when they are projected using 4K cameras, you can see the pixels.. I can never see any pixels on Imax Documentaries... in fact, watching Imax documentaries makes it feel like looking out the window... 4K can't do that.. especially on a 4 story high screen and you're sitting that close to it...

Another thing: If the image you see appears soft, it's likely got to do with your particular imax and their projector (maybe the lamp is ending it's life?), and other stuff... I have seen tons of Imax documentaries and they are brilliant with lots of pop and you feel like you're there...

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23596776

For instance in the above scenario, I am sure they are not using chips powerful enough to resolve above 4K materials... the tech for 4K is not even ripe yet.
IF that was true, then it makes the case for transitioning to 4K all the stronger. Since "not even ripe yet" 4K can show more detail than 70mm IMAX, imagine when 4K is ripe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23596776

And you're talking about Movies NOT shot on 70mm cameras... they are also probably showing 35mm content which was converted to 4K...
Not for the IMAX vs 4K test at the LFF seminar.
Quote:

Like I said, whatever they are telling you.. there's a BIG difference between content shot in 70mm, projected onto the screen using their 70mm projectors vs materials converted from 70mm film to 4K projected using a 4K digital projector.
BIG difference indeed, the 4K presentation can be taken directly from the camera negative while the 70mm print is at least a couple generations away.
Quote:

BTW: Lawrence of Arabia is NOT shot on 70mm film...
Don't take my word for it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056172/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec
Quote:

Also, note, if you watch a movie like MOS on the Imax, even when they are projected using 4K cameras, you can see the pixels.. I can never see any pixels on Imax Documentaries...
Of course not, since film doesn't have pixels. But you can see grain during dark scenes, like I did recently when watching 'Mysteries of Egypt' at the IMAX theatre in the California Science Center.

#9 ·
I spit in the face of the LIEmax crew. They are full of it. I have been to numerous IMAX theaters of all shapes and sizes and not one of the digital jobs can come close to what one experiences via a true FILM 15/70 IMAX presentation. The size and clarity of good old fashioned REAL IMAX is untouchable. My eyes don't lie.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23597198

IF that was true, then it makes the case for transitioning to 4K all the stronger. Since "not even ripe yet" 4K can show more detail than 70mm IMAX, imagine when 4K is ripe.

And I am saying it's NOT more detail than a 70mm Imax.. it's just propaganda...

What they have done is take existing 4K technology and then say 'see because we can't tell the difference after 4K, there's no reason to go beyond'... The fact is, even thought digital 4K is prob the best tech can offer today, 70mm film goes way beyond (analog)... they just have no way to displaying all the content in a 70mm film (which can technically be resolved up to 16K)...

If you believe that, then i have nothing to say but to wait a couple years and you'll see 8K being FAR more stunning than 4K ever could.. and wait till you see the next generation color gamut, perhaps using Lasers that could generate all the spectrum of colors our eyes can see...
Quote:
Not for the IMAX vs 4K test at the LFF seminar.

And you know all the variables of the test? You don't think they are lying their ass off or using some magic tricks? I can bet you they are not comparing apples with apples...
Quote:
BIG difference indeed, the 4K presentation can be taken directly from the camera negative while the 70mm print is at least a couple generations away.

Don't take my word for it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056172/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

Of course not, since film doesn't have pixels. But you can see grain during dark scenes, like I did recently when watching 'Mysteries of Egypt' at the IMAX theatre in the California Science Center.

I have yet to see ANY 4K presentations on ANY imax, and I have been to many.. including the latest ones... that can even come CLOSE to the traditional Imax that shows true Imax Documentaries... (sure, some older film may have some grains but that's just old films and they get dirty)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23597202

I spit in the face of the LIEmax crew. They are full of it. I have been to numerous IMAX theaters of all shapes and sizes and not one of the digital jobs can come close to what one experiences via a true FILM 15/70 IMAX presentation. The size and clarity of good old fashioned REAL IMAX is untouchable. My eyes don't lie.

Exactly right... the eyes don't lie in this case...

I can bet you that when 8K lasers come out, the people at Imax is going to once again change their tune...

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23597202

This. Except for the 'spitting in the face of...' part.

#12 ·
I found this comment from another forum:
Quote:
I've worked with A LOT of 70mm film and equipment...I never considered it any harder than 35mm...just fatter.

No, 4K is not the equivalent of 70mm. 4K is the equivalent of 35mm 1.85:1 in resolution (give or take). Where as 70mm's frame is over twice the width of 35mm's and about double 1.85's height..it will take more than 8K to capture 65/70mm 5-perf and three times that for IMAX.

I think at 4K, you are at least not asking people to take a step back for digital (perhaps on contrast ratio and color space on EK prints but not on release prints). The exception being CinemaScope...which if shot anamorphically is closer to 5-6K in resolution.

I wouldn't call digital deep-focus...yes the pixels are sharp but the depth of image is compressed. I'm hoping that as pixel count goes up, the depth of the image increases (without the stupid glasses and trickery).

I've yet to see, personally, anything digital that compares favorably to 70mm (unless you got a bad 70mm print).

Steve

And here from wikipedia:
Quote:
Another disadvantage is the much lower resolution of digital IMAX compared to traditional IMAX film, which is estimated to be up to 12,000 × 8,700 pixels with at least 6,120 × 4,500 minimum discernible pixels (27 megapixels).

Another one:
Quote:
How about if it’s shown digitally on 4k projectors?

Go and see "Samsara" - the image quality is absolutely staggering - filmed in 65mm, scanned at 8k and down-ressed to 4K for cinemas - it is the best picture you can see [currently, short of true 70mm projection or IMAX 70mm].

Editors Note: Top digital projectors show at 4k resolution while it would take roughly 8 or 10k to replicate the quality of the image for 70mm. So while it’ll still look great, you’re only going to be seeing about half the intended quality, which is why you can see Paul really wants this to be shown in 70mm.

#13 ·

Quote:

Everything boils down to science..
Except you are not offering any science (zero evidence) to support your argument, just anecdotes and emotion.

Because you can't refute the evidence, you're now resorting to ad hominem attacks. For example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23597368

You don't think they are lying their ass off or using some magic tricks?
The only "magic trick" they could have used was mass hypnosis, since the test was conducted in front of the most skeptical audience possible: people who are such big fans of 70mm IMAX that they paid to attend the Large Format Film seminar.

As for "lying their ass off", I'll take the word of Panavision's VP over your's (or "Steve" from "another forum").
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23597368

I have yet to see ANY 4K presentations on ANY imax, and I have been to many.. including the latest ones... that can even come CLOSE to the traditional Imax that shows true Imax Documentaries...
Science isn't about your lack of experience (what you personally have or haven't seen), it's about what can be demonstrated/proven. And IMAX already did that at a public event.
Quote:

I can bet you that when 8K lasers come out, the people at Imax is going to once again change their tune...
Change their tune to what? They've already demonstrated that 4K digital can resolve more than 70mm IMAX. When 8K comes out, they'll demonstrated that 8K can resolve more than 4K. But that's a given, otherwise no one would be pursuing 8K technology.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23597509

Except you are not offering any science (zero evidence) to support your argument, just anecdotes and emotion.

Because you can't refute the evidence, you're now resorting to ad hominem attacks. For example:

The only "magic trick" they could have used was mass hypnosis, since the test was conducted in front of the most skeptical audience possible: people who are such big fans of 70mm IMAX that they paid to attend the Large Format Film seminar.

As for "lying their ass off", I'll take the word of Panavision's VP over your's (or "Steve" from "another forum").

Science isn't about your lack of experience (what you personally have or haven't seen), it's about what can be demonstrated/proven. And IMAX already did that at a public event.

Change their tune to what? They've already demonstrated that 4K digital can resolve more than 70mm IMAX. When 8K comes out, they'll demonstrated that 8K can resolve more than 4K. But that's a given, otherwise no one would be pursuing 8K technology.

So, you have personally seen a 4K demo that is better than the traditional Imax documentaries?

And yes, I have shown you evidence that 70mm resolves to much higher than 4K... you just choose to ignore them...

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23597568

So, you have personally seen a 4K demo that is better than the traditional Imax documentaries?
With native 4K content? Sure. But that's an anecdotal experience; i.e., just because I thought it looked better doesn't mean I'm going to hold it up as objective proof and insist everyone simply take my word for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23597568

And yes, I have shown you evidence that 70mm resolves to much higher than 4K... you just choose to ignore them...
What evidence? "Steve" from "another forum"?

#16 ·
What grates me most is that IMAX was always a huge screen. Then suddenly all these little screens popped up advertised as IMAX. People were confused and angry and it caused them to PR trouble for a while, but so many had never been to an IMAX that they did not know what one was so they had nothing to compare LIEmax to.

8K Laser projection is exciting. It may eventually give us something akin to 15/70 on a giant screen. But there are still a sh**load of small little screens labeled IMAX. Thumbs down on that.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23598065

What grates me most is that IMAX was always a huge screen. Then suddenly all these little screens popped up advertised as IMAX. People were confused and angry and it caused them to PR trouble for a while, but so many had never been to an IMAX that they did not know what one was so they had nothing to compare LIEmax to.

8K Laser projection is exciting. It may eventually give us something akin to 15/70 on a giant screen. But there are still a sh**load of small little screens labeled IMAX. Thumbs down on that.

I never understood their rationale in calling all their screens 'Imax'.. it goes completely against what Imax was founded upon...

They should just classify it 'Imax Digital' to differentiate it... also, maybe have various 'levels of Imax experience'... like 'Imax Mini' for the smaller screens.

Yup, I truly think 8K laser with an upgraded color spectrum (that includes all visible colors to our eyes) would be the ultimate experience... That won't happen for another 20 years... because although I am sure there'll be cameras shooting in 8K, it'll be too difficult/expensive to do any kind of special effects / cgi in 8k resolution...

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23598272

I never understood their rationale in calling all their screens 'Imax'..
Money (theatres even have to pay them part of the concession stand sales as part of the deal). But it's a brand name that attracts audiences willing to pay a higher price for a "premium" experience.

And it's been lucrative for them so far. Their stock over the last year:

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23598473

Money (theatres even have to pay them part of the concession stand sales as part of the deal). But it's a brand name that attracts audiences willing to pay a higher price for a "premium" experience.

And it's been lucrative for them so far. Their stock over the last year:

Yup... I guess in a business' standpoint, it may make sense...

But so many people have terrible Imax Experience... is it worth it to tarnish their brand?

#20 ·
I'm sorry, but the MTF of 15/70mm film is lower than 4k. I've seen a multitude of IMAX documentaries and 4k Hollywood films trumps it in resolution. I understand the colours and image depth aren't quite there yet, but 4k's MTF is higher. And when watching a film, Motion Transfer Function resolution what really matters when it comes to image clarity. Not still photography resolution, which the numbers posted about 70mm represent.

Reactions: sdurani
#21 ·
In the Pittsburgh area we have three Imax screens:

-the first was an Omnimax dome built at the science center in the early 90s. I saw a bunch of documentaries there growing up and my first Hollywood film was Superman Returns. I haven't noticed showtimes for any newer films here so I suspect they discontinued showing big budget films.

-the second was a purpose built Imax auditorium in the Cinemark Pittsburgh Mills. I've seen two films there - 300 and The Dark Knight Rises. I believe it is a traditional film projector. The screen is huge and the auditorium very high. Is it possible they have a digital projector as well for 3D?

-the one closest to me is the AMC Loews Waterfront (built on the site of the great Homestead Steel Strike). Its a great cinema that was built at the turn of the millennium and offers a second floor bar and restaurant. Lots of good memories coming to midnight premiers in college or sharing a happy hour with friends either at the inhouse bar or at Rock Bottom or Bar Louie.

They retrofitted the largest auditorium with upgraded sound and a digital projector. I saw Matrix Revolutions and Revenge of the Sith on opening night there before the conversion. The first Imax film I saw was Watchmen. The seats are a bit further back than I think a purpose built theater would be. The biggest bummer is that they don't sell reserved seating in there and it makes taking a drink from the bar in impossible.

My only wish for Imax in general is that I wish films like Pacific Rim, Man of Steel, and the Avengers would have some Imax showings WITHOUT 3D. The Dark Knight Rises was my favorite by a longshot.

#22 ·
I go to two IMAX theaters in my area.

Airbus IMAX Theater - Chantilly, VA

- TRUE 15/70 IMAX

- 6 story screen

- 2D only

The last movie I saw there was "Star Trek Into Darkness." Picture was clear and clean, but not as good as TDKR. Sound was hit or miss. It seemed to be lacking the high-end in most non-IMAX and IMAX theaters. Wasn't entirely muffled, but certainly didn't sound as good as Inception sounded at the same place 3 years ago.

AMC Tyson's Corner 16 - McLean, VA

- Digital 2K Liemax

- Somewhat big screen

- 3D capable (of course)

The last movie I saw there was "Jurassic Park" in 3D. At the time, I had to say I was pretty impressed with the picture quality. The 3D covered up the DNR issues, I think, and my only base for comparison was the LaserDisc as I don't own the film on DVD or Blu. The sub-bass was blown so I was pretty underwhelmed with the acoustics not living up to the great standards IMAX should have. The remix on the reissue was unfortunately not as dynamic or powerful as the original 1993 5.1 mix, or even the 2.0 Dolby Surround mix on the LD! But I know this IMAX has sounded worse in the past. "Dr. Seuss' The Lorax" was unintelligible and loud throughout. Definitely sounded like s***. It's just that Tyson's Corner 16 is horribly managed and if you're lucky you get a great presentation.

So my IMAX experiences have been more positive in the past before they entered the digital realm, but not entirely. Superman Returns was awful in IMAX 3D, while The Ant Bully rivaled and maybe surpassed today's generation of 3D D-cinema. That was in 2006. I saw both of these films in a great, underlooked TRUE 15/70 IMAX that was/is located at the Palisades Mall in West Nyack, NY. Beats the traditional, bloated megaplex next door at that said mall. It still uses 15/70, is actually operated by IMAX themselves, and has an IATSE projectionist at all times.

#24 ·
I've been to the IMAX at Jordan's in Natick and Reading (although I prefer Reading because it's closer), and both are pretty much identical in size and structure. Same features in both rooms, so for me it's really a preference of the closer site. I don't go to it that often because of the distance, and also because I'm usually happy seeing IMAX features on the smaller screen at the AMC Liberty Tree Mall up in Danvers. I'll go to Reading for extra-special film events--I plan to see The Hobbit, Part 2 there in December--but for the most part I stick closer to home.

#25 ·

Quote:

Totally agree, real IMAX is untouchable.
Quote:

And I am saying it's NOT more detail than a 70mm Imax.. it's just propaganda...

What they have done is take existing 4K technology and then say 'see because we can't tell the difference after 4K, there's no reason to go beyond'... The fact is, even thought digital 4K is prob the best tech can offer today, 70mm film goes way beyond (analog)... they just have no way to displaying all the content in a 70mm film (which can technically be resolved up to 16K)...

If you believe that, then i have nothing to say but to wait a couple years and you'll see 8K being FAR more stunning than 4K ever could.. and wait till you see the next generation color gamut, perhaps using Lasers that could generate all the spectrum of colors our eyes can see...

And you know all the variables of the test? You don't think they are lying their ass off or using some magic tricks? I can bet you they are not comparing apples with apples...

I have yet to see ANY 4K presentations on ANY imax, and I have been to many.. including the latest ones... that can even come CLOSE to the traditional Imax that shows true Imax Documentaries... (sure, some older film may have some grains but that's just old films and they get dirty)...

Exactly right... the eyes don't lie in this case...

Another thing people forget is that IMAX film projectors can project lower resolution images better than any digital projector can. 4K is not a substitute to 70mm, maybe it can replace 35mm but no way 70mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23593373

I am a big Imax fan, but I have to say that not all Imaxs' are created the same. There are cinemas that retrofit their screen to simply make it bigger. And most Imax still uses 2K projectors.

Also, there's a difference between Digital Imax for Movies (some call them LieMax), and the 70mm True Imax which showcase specially shot Documentaries using Imax 70mm cameras.

The difference between the 2?

But this thread is about Digital Cinema Imax (LieMax) which shows Movies (which are shot in 35mm film anyways, so even the source material can't approach those 70mm films)... and these movies are ok to be projected using 4K (because 35mm film is just about 4K resolution anyways).

And even then, there are so many Imax cinemas out there that are different. I have found one near me which is apparently the latest Imax.. using:

- Dual Barco 4K Projectors

- Projected onto a curved screen that is about 4 story high.

- Laser guided sound system (they have 2 giant surround speakers).

I can tell you, the sound in this cinema can't be beat... it's literally several orders better than any cinemas I have been to, and at least twice as good as another Imax using an older sound system.

So, what sort of Imax are you going to? Elaborate:

Here's a video I shot of my Imax (it's a bit dark)

Guys, Please post any info you have on your local Imax and I'll update the list here. Hopefully we'll be able to compile a comprehensive list eventually

Imax List - Features

MALAYSIA

Imax TGV One Utama, Damansara Utama, Malaysia

- Dual Barco 4K

- 4 Story High, Curved Screen

- Laser Guided Sound (latest sound system)

There's another smaller Imax in Kuala Lumpur

Imax TGV Pyramid, Subang, Malaysia

- (note sure about projector but pretty good)

- Older sound system (not quite as good as the above)

- 3 story high Curved screen

I am curious to know how you found out your projectors were 4K Barcos. The new projectors have not yet been rolled out and at the current time, digital IMAX is 2K

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens  /t/1484505/imax-experience-not-all-imax-is-the-same-how-is-yours-like#post_23598065

I completely understand why people are against IMAX digital vs film based IMAX. BUT, I will say there a few things that I truly like about IMAX digital:

1. You are closer to the screen (which I personally like). The viewing angles allow you to get closer to the screen which cannot be done in a traditional digital multiplex screen, IMAX lenses are patented.

2. Sound is usually uniform across a digital IMAX cinemas, you know what you are going to get when you go to an IMAX theater for the most part. Sound is also monitored real time from Mississauga Ont.

3. Dual 2K provides a better image for both 2D and especially for 3D movies versus single 2K.

So, I am not totally against IMAX digital, but there is no comparison to true 70mm IMAX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.