Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 241 Old 08-07-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I don't know how much activity this will get as it seems that, from what I've seen and read anyways, hip hop music is pretty overlooked and dismissed around a lot of AVS. With that said I really like the concept of the metal heads thread that just doesn't happen to be the music I am into.

My first exposures to rap music was Beastie Boys, Run DMC, whatever else got big enough to get decent play on MTV in the mid-late 80's. In the early 90's (first two Cypress Hill Albums, The Chronic) is when the vast majority of what I listen to became and has been to this day rap music. Styles have changed, sometimes for better sometimes for worse, and my personal tastes have changed over time but music has always been very important to me.

I don't have any set direction or idea for what this thread should be. I figured I would post the song that I heard today that I haven't heard in a while that gave me the idea to start this thread and go from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 241 Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Pure Hip-hop died about 20 years ago. And outside of The Roots and one or two others, there's really nothing left, IMO.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #3 of 241 Old 08-07-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Pure Hip-hop died about 20 years ago. And outside of The Roots and one or two others, there's really nothing left, IMO.

Based on the fact I made this thread I would obviously disagree but I would be curious as to what you mean by "pure" hip hop if you don't mind.

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #4 of 241 Old 08-07-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I'm really no hip-hop expert, and I have to admit 95% of it (or at least of what I know) really leaves me cold ; as a musician I listen to a lot of things, and a lot of things that I don't like wink.gif. But I'm open to it so I will follow this thread, if anything, I will probably learn something along the way, even if this music is not my cup of tea. smile.gif
darthrsg likes this.
post #5 of 241 Old 08-07-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I'm really no hip-hop expert, and I have to admit 95% of it (or at least of what I know) really leaves me cold ; as a musician I listen to a lot of things, and a lot of things that I don't like wink.gif. But I'm open to it so I will follow this thread, if anything, I will probably learn something along the way, even if this music is not my cup of tea. smile.gif

Appreciate that. Hopefully you find a hidden gem somewhere.

Equipment

post #6 of 241 Old 08-07-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Back when, there were very few rap-battles between artists. The genre was broad and diverse, IMO.

Nowadays, you cannot rap unless you take a "dig" at another popular artist, as a way of proving you're better, and boosting your "street cred".

And one might lose they're life for taking that dig. Silly and immature. And they virtually all sound the same...every other word is an expletive. With a few exceptions, most of today's "artists" are thugs masquerading as rappers.
Osirus23 likes this.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #7 of 241 Old 08-07-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Back when, there were very few rap-battles between artists. The genre was broad and diverse, IMO.

Nowadays, you cannot rap unless you take a "dig" at another popular artist, as a way of proving you're better, and boosting your "street cred".

And one might lose they're life for taking that dig. Silly and immature. And they virtually all sound the same...every other word is an expletive. With a few exceptions, most of today's "artists" are thugs masquerading as rappers.

I can definitely see that and especially from popular/trying to be popular artists. The underground though definitely has a lot of very diverse artists trying to do much more than that. Artists like those from Rhymesayers Entertainment and QN5 labels for example bring lots of different styles. Some like Czarface(Inspektah Deck and Esoteric) are doing music like it was back from when you are talking about.

Equipment

post #8 of 241 Old 08-07-2013, 06:53 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 153

Interesting topic, Supa. I was (and still am) a fan of hip-hop from its earliest days. So I'll be curious to see where this may go.

Quote:

Pure Hip-hop died about 20 years ago.

If by "pure hip-hop" you mean old-school or hardcore/gangsta rap, then I'd agree that part of the genre is at a pretty low ebb, and may never be as popular as it once was (though it still has a large base of listeners), because it was a product of the culture and times in which it originated.

In the broadest sense of the word though, "hip-hop" is everywhere now, and has become part of popular mainstream music. Most of the big names in pop now are hip-hop artists, including Beyonce, Chris Brown, Drake, Flo-Rida, J-Lo, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Pitbull, Rihanna, Justin T., Usher...

l still listen to and like alot of mainstream hip-hop, but lately (actually about the last 5-10 years) I've been listening to more urban latin and "tropical" forms of music (esp. reggaeton, bachata, cumbia, and similar-sounding Eurasian urban/pop, when I can access it). There's alot of cross-over between hip-hop and these other genres though. (Pitbull, for example, could be considered reggaeton or hip-hop, depending on who you talk to.)

I (also) wouldn't consider myself a hip-hop expert by any stretch, but back in the day, I used to listen to artists like Eric B & Rakim, NWA, PE, LL, Ice-T, RunDMC, 2P, and all them other guys and gals. (And I'll still give em a listen now and then on KDAY.)

A little tune from rapper J. Ortiz ya might enjoy...

vilfrard likes this.

ADU
post #9 of 241 Old 08-07-2013, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As with every music genre hip-hop is continuing to evolve. I will concede that a lot of rap today is samey and stupid. Fortunately, there are still good rappers out there with inteligent and interesting songs. As a 90's kid, I grew up on limp bizkit and the first real rap I listened to was Eminem. If you want the good rap, you have to go with more underground artists as that is where they have more freedom to use some serious topics.

Some of what I'm listening to now, on the serious side of things is Tech N9ne's new albun Something Else which is making its way up as one of my favorite rap albums. A more underground group is dead Celebrity Status which only have on album out and it is amazing from beginning to end. Lil Dicky is a pretty new artist that is taking off on youtube and has a free mixtape out. He is one of the funniest musicains I have heard which I honestly think is harder to do than something serious because it usually just comes off ass cheesey.

I don't think rap is dead, just evolving like all music.
post #10 of 241 Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 PM

Liked: 11
90's hip-hop was the best!!! Hip- hop now can't compete! Big pun, mobb deep, wu-tang clan, dmx are some of the best!!

Bxbigpipi
post #11 of 241 Old 08-08-2013, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangfan94 View Post

Some of what I'm listening to now, on the serious side of things is Tech N9ne's new albun Something Else which is making its way up as one of my favorite rap albums. A more underground group is dead Celebrity Status which only have on album out and it is amazing from beginning to end. Lil Dicky is a pretty new artist that is taking off on youtube and has a free mixtape out. He is one of the funniest musicains I have heard which I honestly think is harder to do than something serious because it usually just comes off ass cheesey.

I'm a fan of Tech but haven't had a chance to listen to something else yet.

Haven't heard of the other people you mention so I'll have to check them out.

Equipment

post #12 of 241 Old 08-08-2013, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

Interesting topic, Supa. I was (and still am) a fan of hip-hop from its earliest days. So I'll be curious to see where this may go.

If by "pure hip-hop" you mean old-school or hardcore/gangsta rap, then I'd agree that part of the genre is at a pretty low ebb, and may never be as popular as it once was (though it still has a large base of listeners), because it was a product of the culture and times in which it originated.

In the broadest sense of the word though, "hip-hop" is everywhere now, and has become part of popular mainstream music. Most of the big names in pop now are hip-hop artists, including Beyonce, Chris Brown, Drake, Flo-Rida, J-Lo, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Pitbull, Rihanna, Justin T., Usher...

l still listen to and like alot of mainstream hip-hop, but lately (actually about the last 5-10 years) I've been listening to more urban latin and "island" forms of music (esp. reggaeton, bachata, cumbia, and similar-sounding European and mid-Asian urban/pop, when I can access it). There's alot of cross-over between hip-hop and these other genres though. (Pitbull, for example, could be considered reggaeton or hip-hop, depending on who you talk to.)

I wouldn't consider myself a hip-hop expert by any stretch, but back in the day, I used to listen to artists like Eric B & Rakim, NWA, PE, LL, Ice-T, RunDMC, 2P, and all them other guys and gals. (And I'll still give em a listen now and then on KDAY.)

A little tune from rapper J. Ortiz ya might enjoy...

Nice song. I'm only Luke warm on Joelle Ortiz but I like this one pretty well.

Equipment

post #13 of 241 Old 08-08-2013, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New one for today. Very different in sound and style from what I posted yesterday. From the group Heiroglyphics and came out in '97.

Equipment

post #14 of 241 Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I guess this is considered "mainstream" hiphop, and I guess there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's good music, but here's one song I like, T.I & Justin Timberlake, Dead And Gone. I like when both the music and the lyrics tell me something, touch me one way or another. This little song does this. Of course, "good" is subjective but I like the vibe, the melodic, somewhat bittersweet theme.

post #15 of 241 Old 08-08-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

User Reported for being a cool person.

Steam: Guts
post #16 of 241 Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

User Reported for being a cool person.

biggrin.gif

Equipment

post #17 of 241 Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I listen to Tribe Called Quest on the regular and saw them in 94. I finally got to see Public Enemy back in May. I dive into the genre only when people I know say "it's good" and that doesn't happen very much. The most recent album I thought was really good was from Black Milk. Tronic.

post #18 of 241 Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Love the thread. As much as I've been a die-hard hip hop fan.....its getting harder and harder to stay onboard. Maybe its me getting older or the redundancy of the subject matter (or both) but I find myself annoyed with alot of the rap and hip hop I hear these days. I'm still hanging in there, but most of the time, I turn to albums from the past for listening sessions (unless I've had a few cocktails at which time I'm cool with music that simply has a sick beat wink.gif). Previous opinions were correct about how most of the real talent lies with the lesser known artists and labels. The mainstream stuff is mostly garbage IMO. I will say though, that my last 4 album purchases were all very solid in their own way. Jay-Z, Mac Miller, J-Cole and Tech N9ne. Tech has been a household favorite since Mitch Bade in the mid 90s and about 20 albums later....he's still doing his thing at age 41. One of the few that continues to get better with time.

Once again, cool thread........

post #19 of 241 Old 08-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Interesting thread! I thought Black Star was cool in the past 20 years, but that's about it. Compared to the preceding two decades, the recent two don't seem to be good for hip hop. But them, I haven't paid attention to music that much, so I'm sure there are some newer artists that I enjoy getting to know. More Youtube links, please!

Unrelated but somewhat related, does anybody know if we are going to see D'Angelo's new album any time soon?
post #20 of 241 Old 08-08-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notti View Post

Interesting thread! I thought Black Star was cool in the past 20 years, but that's about it. Compared to the preceding two decades, the recent two don't seem to be good for hip hop. But them, I haven't paid attention to music that much, so I'm sure there are some newer artists that I enjoy getting to know. More Youtube links, please!

Unrelated but somewhat related, does anybody know if we are going to see D'Angelo's new album any time soon?

"S**t damn melon farmer" wasn't enough?

post #21 of 241 Old 08-09-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I submit for your entertainment, Al Kapone.

post #22 of 241 Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 689
I remember getting "Straight outta Compton" on cassette when it came out and was hooked. This probably sounds blasphemous, but I see lots of similarities between hardcore rap, punk and metal.

While sounding different, they all share the same theme and that theme is "**** You". Can't ever get enough of that wink.gif

This thread is about Hip Hop though and Ive had more trouble getting into that. I hope your thread prospers and don't give up if you don't get a lot of responses. I cant speak for everyone, but I'll listen to every song posted.
vilfrard likes this.
post #23 of 241 Old 08-09-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

I remember getting "Straight outta Compton" on cassette when it came out and was hooked. This probably sounds blasphemous, but I see lots of similarities between hardcore rap, punk and metal.

While sounding different, they all share the same theme and that theme is "**** You". Can't ever get enough of that wink.gif

This thread is about Hip Hop though and Ive had more trouble getting into that. I hope your thread prospers and don't give up if you don't get a lot of responses. I cant speak for everyone, but I'll listen to every song posted.
Dude we rolled to NWA in a 84 Honda Civic and never got a second look. Everybody was way cooler with everybody then.

post #24 of 241 Old 08-09-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I listen to Tribe Called Quest on the regular and saw them in 94. I finally got to see Public Enemy back in May. I dive into the genre only when people I know say "it's good" and that doesn't happen very much. The most recent album I thought was really good was from Black Milk. Tronic.

Love this. Black Milk is somebody I've heard of and maybe heard a guest spot or two from but in definitely going to have to look into some more.

Equipment

post #25 of 241 Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Love the thread. As much as I've been a die-hard hip hop fan.....its getting harder and harder to stay onboard. Maybe its me getting older or the redundancy of the subject matter (or both) but I find myself annoyed with alot of the rap and hip hop I hear these days. I'm still hanging in there, but most of the time, I turn to albums from the past for listening sessions (unless I've had a few cocktails at which time I'm cool with music that simply has a sick beat wink.gif). Previous opinions were correct about how most of the real talent lies with the lesser known artists and labels. The mainstream stuff is mostly garbage IMO. I will say though, that my last 4 album purchases were all very solid in their own way. Jay-Z, Mac Miller, J-Cole and Tech N9ne. Tech has been a household favorite since Mitch Bade in the mid 90s and about 20 albums later....he's still doing his thing at age 41. One of the few that continues to get better with time.

Once again, cool thread........

I feel somewhat similar in that I find myself going back to stuff I know and love more than searching out new stuff a lot of times. My reasoning though is that now being a stay at home dad I just Foyt have the time for music that I used to. The last job I had before this I had ~45 minutes in the car by myself everyday and I could listen some at work so I could sometimes get 4+ hours of listening(a lot of it only as background) so I could give more stuff a chance. Now when I actually have time to myself to turn it up I want to usually hear something I know I will love.
vilfrard likes this.

Equipment

post #26 of 241 Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notti View Post

The Blackstar album is one of my all time favs. It hit perfectly on just about every element I was wanting from music at the time and still has some classics on it.

Equipment

post #27 of 241 Old 08-09-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Thanks a lot and glad you are giving it a listen.

Also agree on the similarities.

Equipment

post #28 of 241 Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok here's my video for the day. I originally had something else in mind but when I heard the black milk song it got me thinking about Detroit and how many amazing artists have come from there. One of the most passed over/unheard artists would have to be Invinvible whose album Shapeshifters is also a favorite of mine. I wasn't sure which song to pick but this is a good representation of the overall vibe of the album.

Equipment

post #29 of 241 Old 08-10-2013, 03:28 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Thx for all the tunes and suggestions folks. Hope you'll keep em comin...

SK,

Since you mentioned the Beasties, I went back to check out a few of their old tunes. Although I wasn't the biggest fan of their early work, I did dig some of their more up-tempo beats from the 90's, esp. these which were pretty good for breakin. (Sherman, set the wayback machine for 1994, and Ill Communication...)

ADU
post #30 of 241 Old 08-10-2013, 03:28 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

ADU
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version