Blue Jasmine - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine is something to see. It was more than a pleasant surprise.

It will certainly not be everyone's cup of tea. But off of this performance, Cate Blanchett is in the lead for the best Actress Oscar next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I put it on my queue, though that may be a while.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 08-22-2013, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Waiting for the Amazon pre-order to go up on this. Then it's a buy.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #4 of 10 Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I went to see it. I enjoyed it, sorta. Lots of good performances. Everyone is talking about Andrew Dice Clay's performance, and with good reason, and Cate Blanchett could easily win an Oscar for hers (actually, so could the Dice Man, and Sally Hawkins is excellent as well). The cinematography was quite fine as well.

The story? Well... think A Streetcar Named Desire Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
without the rape. And with two Stanleys. And a Mitch for each female protagonist.
. Allen continually hammers the audience with how shallow Cate's Jasmine is. We get it, already. And everyone talks like Woody-it's unavoidable-and everyone is either rich and clueless or lower middle class and not all that bright.

A good friend, a transplanted San Franciscan, said the filming of Blue Jasmine was quite the occasion for the natives, and many people made it a point to follow the film crew around and observe. He said (I guess this is third-hand) that Woody looked exhausted, and in many of the shots he looked uninterested and just let the cinematographer do the blocking. Louis C.K. apparently said on Letterman the other night that Allen did not ever speak to him, and that when questioned about motivations by other actors, he simply said: "It's in the script."

He's earned any exhaustion: he's 77 and he's made 48(!) films, and I suppose this is one of his better and more engaging dramas (with comedy here and there), and if you don't mind his bleak world view of no order to the universe, only chaos, and the nature of human behavior is constant sexual betrayal, then this is a pretty good film.
Mr.G likes this.

CW Hinkle
post #5 of 10 Old 08-22-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

The story? Well... think A Streetcar Named Desire Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
without the rape. And with two Stanleys. And a Mitch for each female protagonist.
. Allen continually hammers the audience with how shallow Cate's Jasmine is. We get it, already. And everyone talks like Woody-it's unavoidable-and everyone is either rich and clueless or lower middle class and not all that bright.

And then there is the ending that I won't give away by posting a spoiler.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

I went to see it. I enjoyed it, sorta. Lots of good performances. Everyone is talking about Andrew Dice Clay's performance, and with good reason, and Cate Blanchett could easily win an Oscar for hers (actually, so could the Dice Man, and Sally Hawkins is excellent as well). The cinematography was quite fine as well.

A good friend, a transplanted San Franciscan, said the filming of Blue Jasmine was quite the occasion for the natives, and many people made it a point to follow the film crew around and observe. He said (I guess this is third-hand) that Woody looked exhausted, and in many of the shots he looked uninterested and just let the cinematographer do the blocking. Louis C.K. apparently said on Letterman the other night that Allen did not ever speak to him, and that when questioned about motivations by other actors, he simply said: "It's in the script."

He's earned any exhaustion: he's 77 and he's made 48(!) films, and I suppose this is one of his better and more engaging dramas (with comedy here and there), and if you don't mind his bleak world view of no order to the universe, only chaos, and the nature of human behavior is constant sexual betrayal, then this is a pretty good film.

A very good assessment. The wife and I watched it last night, an uncomfortable viewing experience. Outside of the excellent acting there is little to recommend here unless you have a penchant for neurotic bi-polar females.

And yes, Cate Blanchett will win an Oscar for this role. Sally Hawkins may take supporting actress, don't know, haven't seen other candidates.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7 of 10 Old 02-01-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I watched it finally and I enjoyed it, but less than some other of his more recent pieces. The acting was all top notch as is usually the case in his films. He really enjoys exploring the consequences of human weakness, and it's so big a part of his flicks. I enjoy that aspect of it, but it's obviously going to be tough for some folks.

I guess some people sort of dismiss all of his latter day work, but I've really liked a lot of his 'modern' flicks. Melinda and Melinda, Midnight in Paris, Vicky Christina Barcelona, Match Point, Mighty Aphrodite, Scoop, Cassandra's Dream, and probably some others I'm forgetting, I really enjoyed all of those and some of them are favorites of mine. This one, I enjoyed, but it probably won't go onto my regular re-watch list.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-01-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Personal performance social enhancing drugs must be the 2013 theme of the movies. Ha, I think Meryl Streep in August:Osage County was on better cocktail of drugs than Cate. I think the Oscar should go to the person who is the best drug queen. Blue Jasmine was okay. A few twists in the movie but all of them were somewhat predictable and not surprising.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-01-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
A well done depressing movie. As Shaded Dogfood said it was pretty bleak.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-01-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:

his bleak world view of no order to the universe, only chaos, and the nature of human behavior is constant sexual betrayal
Woody Allen:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/opinion/sunday/kristof-dylan-farrows-story.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page