Divergent - Neil Burger's follow up to Limitless - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 2193
Watched this tonight. My kids liked it. I thought it was ok. It's a long movie and seemed to move slow. Took awhile to get things going.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 11:35 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Watched this tonight. My kids liked it. I thought it was ok. It's a long movie and seemed to move slow. Took awhile to get things going.
Worth a rental wabo?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Worth a rental wabo?
Yeah, it's worth a rent. Kinda like a Hunger Games. Both from books and both from the same studio.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:21 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Yeah, it's worth a rent. Kinda like a Hunger Games. Both from books and both from the same studio.
Cheers mate

Frank
Old 08-17-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cheers mate
Not sure if they do this down under, but Lionsgate cripples their rental discs here. Limiting them to lossy DD. I was coerced into blind buying this so at least I got the lossless 7.1.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:36 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Not sure if they do this down under, but Lionsgate cripples their rental discs here. Limiting them to lossy DD. I was coerced into blind buying this so at least I got the lossless 7.1.
Yeah they do but at times my video store gets the retail copy on hire. They sell them much cheaper as well. So here's hoping..
Old 08-21-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 155
My 'Divergent' rant:

This movie blows new levels of absolute crap all over the screen. In fact, there are zero redeemable qualities to take away from it. I can't decide which was worse: the shallow, overly complicated, ridiculously plagiarized story that was hammered down our throats, or the issue of embarrassing messages being delivered to adolescent girls.

Since the former is self explanatory, I'll focus on the latter.

Tris, who is supposed to be a strong character, only manages to do so with the aid of a her "hunky love interest". Isn't that how it works, ladies? You can't find inner strength until a dreamy guy guides you to it... Excuse me while I throw up (still looks and sounds better than the movie)... Then there's the obsession with perfect looks that nearly drove me mad. She comes from a faction (their version of Districts or Hogwarts houses) that puts no stock in appearances, yet the main character has caked on make-up from the get go. Even after she gets an unnecessarily thorough beating, the bruising that would normally turn her face to ground beef never appears in order to maintain her image.

Basically, instead of watching something inspired by solid literature such as The Hunger Games and Harry Potter, we get a hormone injected, fraternity inspired, unintentional parody of them.

I'd say that this is almost as bad as last year's After Earth.
Scott Simonian and Morpheo like this.

Last edited by Dbuudo07; 08-21-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post
This movie blows new levels of absolute crap all over the screen. In fact, there are zero redeemable qualities to take away from it. I can't decide which was worse: the shallow, overly complicated, ridiculously plagiarized story that was hammered down our throats, or the issue of embarrassing messages being delivered to young adolescent girls.

Tris, who is supposed to be a strong character, only manages to do so with the aid of a her "hunky" love interest. Isn't that how it works, ladies? You can't find inner strength until a dreamy guy guides you to it. Excuse me while I throw up..... Then there's the obsession with perfect looks that nearly drove me mad. She comes from a faction that puts no stock in appearances, yet the main character has caked on make-up from the get go. Even after she gets an unnecessarily thorough beating, the bruising that would normally turn her face to ground beef never appears in order to maintain her image.

Basically, instead of watching something inspired by solid literature such as The Hunger Games and Harry Potter, we get a hormone injected, unintentional parody of them.
But the books were already very successful so I guess there's a demand for that type of material. Idealization of the "strong female character" overcoming obstacles, and her prince charming who protects her... Something like that maybe... The only "dystopian future" story that I'm interested in lately is the new Mad Max - should be a bit different
Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
But the books were already very successful so I guess there's a demand for that type of material. Idealization of the "strong female character" overcoming obstacles, and her prince charming who protects her... Something like that maybe... The only "dystopian future" story that I'm interested in lately is the new Mad Max - should be a bit different
I see what you're saying, Morph. I just feel that literature leaves more to interpretation than cinema does.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My 'Divergent' rant:

This movie blows new levels of absolute crap all over the screen. In fact, there are zero redeemable qualities to take away from it. I can't decide which was worse: the shallow, overly complicated, ridiculously plagiarized story that was hammered down our throats, or the issue of embarrassing messages being delivered to adolescent girls.

Tris, who is supposed to be a strong character, only manages to do so with the aid of a her "hunky love interest". Isn't that how it works, ladies? You can't find inner strength until a dreamy guy guides you to it... Excuse me while I throw up (still looks and sounds better than the movie)... Then there's the obsession with perfect looks that nearly drove me mad. She comes from a faction (their version of Districts or Hogwarts houses) that puts no stock in appearances, yet the main character has caked on make-up from the get go. Even after she gets an unnecessarily thorough beating, the bruising that would normally turn her face to ground beef never appears in order to maintain her image.

Basically, instead of watching something inspired by solid literature such as The Hunger Games and Harry Potter, we get a hormone injected, fraternity inspired, unintentional parody of them.

Lol. Give 'em hell, D!

The only movie as bad as After Earth is The Happening. Which is actually worse than After Earth.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lol. Give 'em hell, D!

The only movie as bad as After Earth is The Happening. Which is actually worse than After Earth.
Thanks Wabo! My girlfriend and I kept wondering while watching it if this is a joke.

I haven't seen The Happening, and I probably never will.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:55 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked: 1547
Quote:
My 'Divergent' rant:

I haven't seen this movie nor want to. However this is a much more interesting discussion.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Old 08-21-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Wabo! My girlfriend and I kept wondering while watching it if this is a joke.

I haven't seen The Happening, and I probably never will.
Most definitely avoid The Happening. It's about murderous shrubs. Murderous shrubs, man. Watch out for that bush, it'll get ya. Aside from the lethal foliage, the acting was horrendous. The Funky Bunch wouldn't even take Marky Mark back after this terrible film. Several years ago there was a B movie about a tire that rolled along and killed pepole. Just a tire, nothong else. Can't remember the name of that movie. Lol. It might just be "Tire." That movie is a masterpiece compared to Shama-Lama-Ding-Dong's The Happening.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
= Just a tire, nothong else. Can't remember the name of that movie. Lol. It might just be "Tire." That movie is a masterpiece compared to Shama-Lama-Ding-Dong's The Happening.
Haha! I think it was called Rubber.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:21 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
My 'Divergent' rant:

Haven't seen it yet. My expectations are lowering.

Frank
Old 08-22-2014, 06:24 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Several years ago there was a B movie about a tire that rolled along and killed pepole. Just a tire, nothong else. Can't remember the name of that movie. Lol. It might just be "Tire."
How much buckets of popcorn did you have to go through to keep you awake watching Tire. Never laughed so much reading that post.

Frank
Old 08-22-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's it. Good memory. Or is it because it's in your BD collection?

Quote:
How much buckets of popcorn did you have to go through to keep you awake watching Tire. Never laughed so much reading that post.
Tell me this isn't one of the most gripping and compelling trailers you've ever seen. In fact, Dolby confirmed it will be the first BD release with Atmos.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm waiting for the Criterion release.

...In fact when I saw the trailer a few years I thought it was so stupid, somehow I've been unable to forget the title since then
Old 08-22-2014, 05:00 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Tell me this isn't one of the most gripping and compelling trailers you've ever seen. In fact, Dolby confirmed it will be the first BD release with Atmos.

The tires name is Robert. I can't believe they made a film about a tire. That's some funny ****.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Pretty good!

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"